Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Droyer posted:

Hell Yeah!

SSSS Gridman's Transformer reference game is off the charts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the worst part is

The main villain girl being based on Shattered Glass Megatron?

pretty much the best hint that she's also a good guy

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
SSSS.Gridman is so good.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Burkion posted:

the worst part is

The main villain girl being based on Shattered Glass Megatron?

pretty much the best hint that she's also a good guy

She's based on SG Optimus though? The Megatron girl is the deutagonist and an ally the whole show.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Droyer posted:

She's based on SG Optimus though? The Megatron girl is the deutagonist and an ally the whole show.

they're the same character, sort of

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Burkion posted:

they're the same character, sort of

No.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What is going on here.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I mean in a literal sense they are.

Main Girl is what the Villain Girl looks like in real life. It's why Villain Girl is so vexed that the dude she made to be her love interest has no interest in her new made up body, but her old, plain 'real' one. It's also why she's obsessed with her to a degree.

Rhyno posted:

What is going on here.

A really good toku anime that came out last year with a poo poo ton of Transformer references. Fitting for something based on Gridman, which almost literally had Optimus as a main supporting hero since it was co-made by Takara. So, weirdly, on topic for here!

The beach episode can go to hell though. Hate that loving thing

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://twitter.com/chrismcfeely/status/1162791386040688643

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Where do I watch this animes

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

It's streaming on Crunchyroll

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Funimation if you want a dub that does a great low key Tim Curry impression, or if you just have an account there. Crunchyroll/VRV if you want the Japanese version.

The really fun thing about this anime is that it fully embraces all the Gridman poo poo before it. Meaning both the original Japanese show, and the Americanized DiC Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad series.

Both are pretty goddamn terrible, but drat if the anime doesn't make some deep cuts, like how all of the main characters from both shows get name shout outs, and almost all of the characters are basically humanized Transformers from REALLY obscure poo poo.

And my favorite bit- in SSSS, the main villain was actually voiced by Tim Curry himself, and one of his favorite insults was 'Meatbags', because of course. There's an analogue to that villain in SSSS Gridman (seriously) and in the dub, as I mentioned, they get some one to do a passable homage to Tim Curry and even include the meatbag insult.

It's pretty loving great.

EDIT: Just be warned, while the designs are whatever, episode 4 I think? The beach episode

It's the requisite lovely fanservice episode featuring a bunch of underage girls because of course. I despise that episode, even though I really love the monster and how they did it.

Like as a toku fan, this show is really loving good. All of the monsters are done super faithfully as if they were practical effects and there are a LOT of Ultraman shout outs since it's a Tsuburaya production.

The story even manages to do the toyetic as gently caress "every episode introduces a new toy for the kids to get" thing that you'd see in GaoGaiGar or the like, just HYPER condensed. All for a toyline that DIDN'T EXIST because it wasn't that kind of show. It's really, really good and the actual story of the whole thing is really good.

I just loving hate excessive anime fanservice because it's always got this creep factor to it that is no bueno for me.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 17, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh, nevermind.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Thunderclash is at TFN, and is truly the best of us. :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/jm77/status/1162795938752032769

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Burkion posted:

The story even manages to do the toyetic as gently caress "every episode introduces a new toy for the kids to get" thing that you'd see in GaoGaiGar or the like, just HYPER condensed. All for a toyline that DIDN'T EXIST because it wasn't that kind of show. It's really, really good and the actual story of the whole thing is really good.

Speaking of GaoGaiGar, didn't it come out fairly recently that Masami Ōbari was pissed off at Studio Trigger for using a bunch of his signature animations for the show without even asking?

Rhyno posted:

Ugh, nevermind.

At least check this clip out, if only to see the human version of Bayverse Grimlock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4GI_PFDE6Q

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Speaking of GaoGaiGar, didn't it come out fairly recently that Masami Ōbari was pissed off at Studio Trigger for using a bunch of his signature animations for the show without even asking?

There was some drama as it aired, but after the show finished he posted fanart of it on his twitter so presumably it got resolved.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Can you really have a complete set of seekers without Skylar, Hoobastank, and Piplup?

I'm holding out for Shitstorm, Clusterfuck and Fubar

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

What a guy!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

The_Doctor posted:

Good as hell

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Good to see at least someone cares about getting the right scale for transformers

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

That seems like a nice guy, but who's this "Thunderclash" fella?

😈

:iiaj:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I was initially wary on Gridman after Darling in the Franxx which seemed way way too horny for me. Also I thought it was trying to trick me into watching with all its TF references. I had a good time though.

Also that clip :3:

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 18, 2019

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
loving anime

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

I have the Generations Commemorative Soundwave Toys R Us had a ways back. I want to get the vintage Walmart Soundwave. Anyone that may have both is there any big differences between them except the packaging and that the TRU one came with Ravage and Laserbeak?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

DrChud posted:

I have the Generations Commemorative Soundwave Toys R Us had a ways back. I want to get the vintage Walmart Soundwave. Anyone that may have both is there any big differences between them except the packaging and that the TRU one came with Ravage and Laserbeak?

The Walmart reissue has the original single-cassette chest door, while the TRU Commemorative has the expanded double-cassette chest door.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thew reviews Giga Grimlock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYuv7yxnCNI

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

What the hell, to buy Redwing you have to use Target's credit card? To the scalpers I go, then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keldroc posted:

What the hell, to buy Redwing you have to use Target's credit card? To the scalpers I go, then.

You can get the Target debit that costs nothing to use.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
It seems odd that scalpers would be the preferred option over what is effectively a loyalty card (assuming you are smart and don't keep a balance on it) with a 5% discount attached.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's the scalp rate on Redwing anyways? I should get in on this.

Knormal posted:

Does it look feasible to swap regular and G2 Sideswipe's parts to get rid of that unsightly black/red wedge in their car modes? I ddin't want to buy the G2 figure just to find out they're a different shade of red from each other.

Oh hey I forgot, they are indeed different shades of red. It's really close but G2 is a tiny bit glossier.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 18, 2019

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Oh hey I forgot, they are indeed different shades of red. It's really close but G2 is a tiny bit glossier.

Yeah it would be a tremendous pain to swap torso part anyway.

Keldroc posted:

That seems extreme. If you go near a Target someone's gonna ask you if you want a free Red Card.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Could probably just have a friend on the forums buy it for you if you don't want to disclose personal information or whatever reason for not wanting to get said card.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Loved transformers as a kid (was born in 88 so I caught the tail end of G1/G2 stuff being out there and had a ton of Beast Wars). Buuut as happened to lots of people, most of my toys got tossed out or sold at a garage sale or whatev at some point. And now as an adult with some disposable income it's fun to get modern versions of all the things I wanted as a kid but couldn't find or my parents couldn't afford. We mostly got stuff second-hand or on clearance or at discount stores.

Picked up stuff starting around PotP, with a few older things via ebay, but for the longest time I couldn't figure out who the hell my first Transformer was, since it was an autobot who's colors didn't match up with anything I could find in G1 and I remembered it being a lot smaller than it turned out it actually was. Found out the other day that I was just stupid, he wasn't G1, he was G2, and it was Sideswipe. As soon as I spotted a pic with the stickers and everything it instantly came back to me.

So that kinda brings me to my question- I found there's a Masterpiece Sideswipe in the G2 colors, complete with replicas of the G2 stickers to give him that look I remember as a kid. How is that, is he any good? Is there anything weird about him? Looks like it's going for around $50-60 on eBay which is reasonable if he's good. I thought about just picking up the actual original G2 toy but I think it'd be more fun to have a modern take on it that can stand alongside my other newer Transformers.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 18, 2019

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DisposableHero posted:

It seems odd that scalpers would be the preferred option over what is effectively a loyalty card (assuming you are smart and don't keep a balance on it) with a 5% discount attached.

You don't have to hand over bank routing numbers for a loyalty card. Holding things hostage behind a branded credit or debit card is bullshit and I am not interested in participating in that racket.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sea Lily posted:

Loved transformers as a kid (was born in 88 so I caught the tail end of G1/G2 stuff being out there and had a ton of Beast Wars). Buuut as happened to lots of people, most of my toys got tossed out or sold at a garage sale or whatev at some point. And now as an adult with some disposable income it's fun to get modern versions of all the things I wanted as a kid but couldn't find or my parents couldn't afford. We mostly got stuff second-hand or on clearance or at discount stores.

Picked up stuff starting around PotP, with a few older things via ebay, but for the longest time I couldn't figure out who the hell my first Transformer was, since it was an autobot who's colors didn't match up with anything I could find in G1 and I remembered it being a lot smaller than it turned out it actually was. Found out the other day that I was just stupid, he wasn't G1, he was G2, and it was Sideswipe. As soon as I spotted a pic with the stickers and everything it instantly came back to me.

So that kinda brings me to my question- I found there's a Masterpiece Sideswipe in the G2 colors, complete with replicas of the G2 stickers to give him that look I remember as a kid. How is that, is he any good? Is there anything weird about him? Looks like it's going for around $50-60 on eBay which is reasonable if he's good. I thought about just picking up the actual original G2 toy but I think it'd be more fun to have a modern take on it that can stand alongside my other newer Transformers.

There is also a new G2 Sideswipe in the Siege line, which is cheaper than the Masterpiece, despite coming as part of a set. Siege is the line that followed PotP, and most people agree it's better in every way.
https://smile.amazon.com/Transforme...ps%2C197&sr=8-2

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

There is also a new G2 Sideswipe in the Siege line, which is cheaper than the Masterpiece, despite coming as part of a set. Siege is the line that followed PotP, and most people agree it's better in every way.
https://smile.amazon.com/Transforme...ps%2C197&sr=8-2

That's definitely a good option too, but he doesn't have the goofy 90s neon green stickers, which are very important to have. I wonder if anyone's doing a sticker set for that though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sea Lily posted:

There's KO versions of the Masterpiece that are basically the same quality. It seems to be out of production now but there's one still available for pretty cheap.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOT-HASBRO-TAKARA-Masterpiece-MP-12G-G2-Black-Ver-Sideswipe/332698349570?hash=item4d765df002:g:PpkAAOSwPI1ayZEW

I'm sure Reprolabels has an MP G2 Sideswipe sticker set.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sea Lily posted:

That's definitely a good option too, but he doesn't have the goofy 90s neon green stickers, which are very important to have. I wonder if anyone's doing a sticker set for that though.

Give it a month or two, I'm sure Toyhax will have a set.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sea Lily posted:

MP-12, in all his various color options, is good. He's part of the second wave of Masterpiece figures from MP-10 on to fairy recently, where it's "like the original toy, but better."

Do you want to buy mine? PM me if you're interested. I'm running out of room because of imminent baby arrival and Mrs. Rainbowbeard would thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I have MP G2 Sideswipe. He’s really good! The MP Sideswipe mold is great and, while it’s slightly dated now, still makes for a great bot. Highly poseable, looks great in both modes, lots of fun accessories, and transforms really smoothly. I have both the regular and the G2 and I like the G2 better.

Edit:

I wouldn’t get a KO of a character you care about. I have KO MP Smokescreen and Red Alert and I’m glad I don’t care too much about them. They’re just not as polished.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 19, 2019