Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

poeticoddity posted:

FTFY.

On a more helpful note, Fi should handle calls and text just fine without a cellular connection if you've got adequate wifi signal.
Fi slipped in a "feature" a while back (which I believe you can opt out of, but I'm not sure how) which uses a small quantity of cellular data while you're on wifi to route you through a google VPN/make them more money.
IIRC, it's supposed to be somewhere around 10% of the bandwidth goes through cellular at max, but if your kid is running tons of HD video content that could add up pretty quickly, so that'd be something to look into.

It's opt in. Open the fi app and it's under "enhance your network."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Turns out she's discovered that she can watch videos on Pintrest instead of YouTube, so that's getting locked down and was probably the biggest data sucker.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've done the same Google Rewards survey five times now and it keeps giving me $0.47 every time, hell yeah.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I've been getting a lot of garbage text messages from 9016, which I remember happening while I was on Sprint and their visual voicemail app was messed up. I can't find anything specific to Fi about it. Any ideas?

//ANDROID:Message from ${from}. CFGs1840.0=10c72313933372061261TjQmQ/bO//CM

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

effika posted:

I've been getting a lot of garbage text messages from 9016, which I remember happening while I was on Sprint and their visual voicemail app was messed up. I can't find anything specific to Fi about it. Any ideas?

//ANDROID:Message from ${from}. CFGs1840.0=10c72313933372061261TjQmQ/bO//CM

9016 is kind of the unofficial short code most carriers use to send messages that are intended to be picked up by the handset. Chances are good the first thing support will tell you to do is delete all of the app data from the Fi app on your phone and then reopen it and let it do a re-provisioning.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Motronic posted:

9016 is kind of the unofficial short code most carriers use to send messages that are intended to be picked up by the handset. Chances are good the first thing support will tell you to do is delete all of the app data from the Fi app on your phone and then reopen it and let it do a re-provisioning.

That seems to have done it. Thanks!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How does the Moto G7 compare to the X4? Worth the 50% off sale this weekend?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm probably greatly oversimplifying this but:

Once T-Mobile and Sprint merge, would Google Fi phones still need to jump between them? Or would they make one unified network, and the Fi phones would just jump between the T-MoSprint network and the US Cellular network?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Once T-Mobile and Sprint merge, would Google Fi phones still need to jump between them? Or would they make one unified network, and the Fi phones would just jump between the T-MoSprint network and the US Cellular network?

It would depend upon how TMobile and Spring handle combining their networks. I would guess they'll stay separate for several months/years while they work out the logistics of combining them, then they would become one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

TMO and Sprint are on different bands and technologies. Infrastructure takes a long time to change, so expect years to pass before anything of consequence happens.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I believe "anything passing" will be the Sprint network falling to ruin and disrepair before it is quietly superceded by the next gen TMobile network. I really doubt they will try to integrate any of Sprint's hardware.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

How does the Moto G7 compare to the X4? Worth the 50% off sale this weekend?

Dang it was going for 100$? It's a much nicer phone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/09/17/google-fi-unlimited-plan-pixel-3-xl-50-percent-off/

Google Fi now has an unlimited data plan and Pixel 3s are 50% off.

The new plan is 22GB of unthrottled data per line, videos may be limited to 480p when you're close to your limit.

Realistically, it's just a new 22GB plan but...yeah.

The news plan is $70 per single line and goes down by each additional person.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm always tempted when they have such a large discount on a phone to buy it, but my Pixel XL is still running strong. I just worry about not having a backup phone. :psyduck:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If it makes you feel any better the Pixel 4 looks pretty underwhelming so a cheap P3 seems like a pretty good deal if you like the phones.

That said, the P3 went on huge discount like 2 months after it came out last year so that might also happen with the 4.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Johnny Truant posted:

I just worry about not having a backup phone. :psyduck:

I worry about having my old Nexus 5x as a backup. :dance:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

American McGay posted:

If it makes you feel any better the Pixel 4 looks pretty underwhelming so a cheap P3 seems like a pretty good deal if you like the phones.

That said, the P3 went on huge discount like 2 months after it came out last year so that might also happen with the 4.

Yeah, I think I'm going to hold off. Made a few large purchases recently, and my Pixel XL is still going strong, even if Android 10 seems weird as gently caress.

Uthor posted:

I worry about having my old Nexus 5x as a backup. :dance:

At least you have a backup! I'd have to carry my Chromebook around with Messages linked just to text :negative:

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Sixty dollars per line for two people seems crazy when I'm currently paying between 50 and 55 dollars per month total for two people with the regular plan. Am I in the minority? I just don't go a lot of places that don't have plentiful wifi, even when I'm traveling I think the most I've racked up is a 70 dollar bill.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is this $20 + $70? or just $70?

The regular plan has always been $20 + $10 per gig, max charge of $60 for data - effectively unlimited for $80.

Are they just saving the high users $10?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I'm in the same boat the wife and I rarely have a bill much over 50$ only time it's ever more than 60 is when we are traveling a lot.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

FogHelmut posted:

The regular plan has always been $20 + $10 per gig, max charge of $60 for data - effectively unlimited for $80.

Yeah, this seems like something built for power users, especially with it coming with the 100GB Google One cloud storage. Fi made me really analyze my data usage and start downloading more for offline play, so with those habits, I have to see if this is worth it.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I'm on a five-person plan with two kids, so we hit 16GB pretty handily, and it might be close to a savings? But I don't know how taxes and stuff would shake out.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

It's just $70 + taxes.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
This deal on the Pixel 3 XL makes me really tempted to switch to Google Fi. Are people generally pretty happy with Fi? I don't use a lot of wireless data so the price looks really good to me but Google can be pretty bad with their support for their projects and services so it makes me a bit worried.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Spaseman posted:

This deal on the Pixel 3 XL makes me really tempted to switch to Google Fi. Are people generally pretty happy with Fi? I don't use a lot of wireless data so the price looks really good to me but Google can be pretty bad with their support for their projects and services so it makes me a bit worried.

No issues here. My wife and I switched from Verizon a couple years ago and besides the whole data janitoring aspect of things, it's been flawless. Even overseas.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Spaseman posted:

Make sure your address is easy to deliver to. Fi is fine as long as you never need customer support.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've actually dealt with Fi support and had nothing but great experiences. :shrug:

It's amazing if you don't use much cell data, my average bill now is like $30 a month. And yeah, international is amazing. Give it 5 minutes once you land and it just works!

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

Cloks posted:

Make sure your address is easy to deliver to. Fi is fine as long as you never need customer support.

This is not a joke, you won't get any help from their customer support. I'm not sure why they even have it.

Edit: the service itself has always worked wonderfully for me however.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

That's the same price as the big carriers. Just go with post paid Verizon and get all the other ancillary benefits.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Spaseman posted:

Service is fine, I've had no trouble with it in Canada, the UK, and France. My bills are not as low as I hoped they'd be, considering my usage, so I'm going to switch in the next month or two (one payment remaining on this phone).

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I was pretty close to bailing for Verizon, but the unlimited plan is good enough that it isn't worth the effort and cost of switching anymore. Good to see them show some indication that they're even vaguely aware of the issues with their service and give enough of a poo poo to address them.

for a solo user it costs the same as using 5 gb on the normal plan, but you get 22 gb. I will definitely blow 5 gb in my next billing cycle so for me it's an upgrade

Spaseman posted:

I will nth that their support is functionally nonexistent, anybody you can actually contact will lie directly to your face to get you to hang up so their average call time goes down, helping you is like not even in their top 5 priorities

If you consistently have WiFi it's great, but you have a weird month where you have to travel a lot, it's less great to get tagged with a gigantic bill as a result. The new unlimited plan at least partially addresses this problem; see above

Javid fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 18, 2019

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yes filter my posts if you want to see how bad their cs is

But my bill is only $30/month, and I had uninterrupted service ttaveling around Asia a month ago while my wife fiddled with SIM cards and phone kiosks.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
When their CS is bad, it's really bad.

It's why I left Fi.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

"oh you're having x problem? I'll reset something on my end, it could take up to 30 minutes to work. What, you want to stay on the line until it does? Umm, that won't work because of reasons. Just call back in if it doesn't take effect in the next half hour, bye!"

Except they didn't actually do anything, they just want you to hang up so they get their resolution stat, and when you call back in mad that it didn't work you're somebody else's problem.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I've only had to use their cs like twice but it was fine each time, although I didn't call and used the chat instead because the phone app was the problem, maybe that's the difference? That or it's just gone downhill since then as that was like 2 years ago or more.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Chat support exists mostly to wait for you to say you can't make calls, at which point they tell you the department that can fix that can only be reached by phone

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Brightman posted:

I've only had to use their cs like twice but it was fine each time, although I didn't call and used the chat instead because the phone app was the problem, maybe that's the difference? That or it's just gone downhill since then as that was like 2 years ago or more.

I've only ever used the website and it's always been awful. The second you deviate from a scripted error, you're boned.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Fi is offering a $100 credit for Pixel 4 pre-orders.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/10/15/pixel-4-pre-order-google-store-credit/

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

This would be cool if everything they announced wasn't extremely underwhelming and not worth the price lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
😴