Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I’m watching Kes for the first time. I’m going to cry at the end of this right?

Chuka Umana fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier posted:

Ok my brain is just dribbling out of my nose at this point, that's gotta be the dumbest loving tweet in history.

nah its still

https://twitter.com/scrowder/status/732367986636423168?s=20

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Windmills.

Not even once.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As we're talking about buskers, if I see this man too many more times I'm going to go bankrupt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLAYUxhsjR4

(Unaccountably the dancing fag isn't part of his act)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GBqOLvucb4

Cool he's started putting up his own videos now - this little bit (Wu Tang into Ace of Spades) was what he was playing the first time I saw him, outside the Dominion on Tottenham Court Road with it absolutely pissing down with rain.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Chuka Umana posted:

I’m watching Kes for the first time.
I'm so sorry

E: yes.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

Omagh used to have two great buskers.

Artyg, a true legend. Once played with Deep Purple, spent his time busking full drunk outside Wellworths. There's now a plaque where he used to be, hes dead now. He was that well known.
His death was in the Irish Times too: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/busker-with-a-free-spirit-and-heart-of-gold-1.987735

And Pink Panther man. He played the flute, and only knew one tune that gave him his name. He would play for HOURS.

I remember Wellworths :)

In my memory, everything in Wellworths was beige. The checkout ladies in the one in my town were that proper old school breed of checkout lady that is very rare to find these days. They would deliberately scan most other ladies' items (and also those of Peter Pansy, the town's only openly 1990s homosexual) at snail's pace so they could have a good, long gossip. People they had no interest in would on the other hand see their items pass through a blur of flailing arms onto the other side of the checkout at a speed that seemed to defy the laws of physics, and usually wouldn't even get eye contact, and would definitely get sighs and eye rolls if they dared do something so inconsiderate as start counting out change or getting out a cheque book. I remember one lady in particular who had a bowl cut hairdo dyed in that really much too black shade of black that hair dye used to be and for some reason she had decided to do away with her eyebrows and draw on pencil lines instead. To this day I'm not sure if she really was a perpetually angry woman or if it was just the way she drew on her eyebrows that gave that impression.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
a lot more homosexuals need to be openly 1990s

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is Wellworth's the NI version of Woolworth's?
Yeah but steven crowder probably does want to gently caress his mam so that's more factually correct that jog on's effort.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Nah, but I bet you they selected the name to be as close as possible to it.
Only memories of Wellworths was that the pick'n'mix was near the front doors, so good to stuff your pockets and run.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
WORK. THEN. NOW. FOREVER.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1162826125552304131?s=20

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Yorkshire was a cruel, cruel place.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

My town had a Wellworths right beside the Woolworths. Basically the same supermarket stuff, but looked like it was stuck in the 80s.
Then they both closed :qq:

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

After asking this question, Jolyon immediately blocked him lmao

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
The kestrel is so adorable!!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Chuka Umana posted:

Don't do this to yourself!

Seriously!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

it's a goddamn loving shame that this won't be retroactive

because that would ruin the Tories forever in a tsunami of gammon tears

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like any of us are gonna see retirement anyway lol.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Chuka Umana posted:

I remember having to read this in school and the overwhelming lesson I remember taking away from it was "Don't ever aspire to anything you dirty northerner."

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Lol if you were ever going to not work anyway

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I remember having to read this in school and the overwhelming lesson I remember taking away from it was "Don't ever aspire to anything you dirty northerner."

At least they taught you something good in school.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Busker chat:

I was at the world SF convention in Glasgow in August1995 and went for a walk quite early on the Bank Holiday Monday morning and this guy was busking with his flute in Princes St (?) which was quite empty. It was such a delicious sound in the fresh morning air. He had some self-released CDs "Floyds Dream" so I bought one. This is one of the tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y3lIL6HTDM

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I thought the moral was "don't think you're smarter than the punter if you don't have the cash to cover it"?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah, there were three different Trot groups selling papers in Dalston today (including the obligatory SWP stall), interleaved with the normal god-botherers. It was certainly an interesting sight, and confusing enough I almost shouted "Google Comrade Delta" at the poor little old lady trying to give me a JW pamphlet.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh yeah, there were three different Trot groups selling papers in Dalston today (including the obligatory SWP stall), interleaved with the normal god-botherers. It was certainly an interesting sight, and confusing enough I almost shouted "Google Comrade Delta" at the poor little old lady trying to give me a JW pamphlet.

If you want to annoy the trots say "no thanks, I'm a communist"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There was a Christian "read Bible worship Jesus" tent and a Muslim "Koran is fact, love Jesus" tent right near each other in the street this morning.

All it was missing was a small booth between them with "We Are Jews - please leave us alone" on the signage.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
wanting to put Jews in a small booth, typical leftist anti-semitism

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bastards.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I thought the moral was "don't think you're smarter than the punter if you don't have the cash to cover it"?
Probably but I honed in more on if you put your time and energy into training a bird your wanker brother will kill it and you'll end up working in the pit anyway, so give up now you lil poo poo

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I’m on the scene where he’s telling the class how he cares for the kestrel. I’m glad Casper is learning to become an adult through Kes.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Casper is more than just a coal miner in training.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Shuht thee meuth, Cyaspugh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not ukpol but it is very UKMT

https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/1161350265473290240

Arguing about politics, but always foodchat.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Remember that cute kitty I've been posting this month? This one:

Saw a kestrel go for her, twice. Sure Kes had young 'uns, but kitty was no threat to them, she had mum poo poo to get on with. Spent the rest of the week out there on bird scaring duty (we also had a chicken disappear without a trace a few weeks back).

Trying to do a public service here, hope I'm not too late

E: oh & if I get more :thermidor: calls for posting that pic again, that's my parents' place & cost literally half what my one bed flat in Swansea did, including the ride on mower & enough land to need one. gently caress our property market

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 17, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TORY BUILT you say????

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The seat doesnt look comfortable?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

She's a gorgeous catte :kimchi:

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Oh gently caress what’d his brother do to kes??!!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I almost shouted "Google Comrade Delta" at the poor little old lady trying to give me a JW pamphlet.

I just did and read this article.

I had never heard about this before...wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
WHAT THE gently caress

HOW COULD HIS BROTHER DO THAT

I DONT KNOW WHETHER TO CRY IN BED OR PUNCH MY TV

OH GOD CASPER FOUND KES IN THE TRASH CAN IM CRYING