Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Leal posted:

WHAT THE gently caress THE SOUTHERN HIVE HAS loving WAR GORILLOS?!?

Oh sweet summer child, you are in for SO much fun :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

So I think I destroyed the holy nation. I had Inquistor Seta and Velveeta locked up at my base. Thrashed the Wrath of God sent (literally 15 harpoon guns) and then Laid siege to Blister Hill and Pheonix was knocked down got up once, downed again, and then he disappeared. I saved and reloaded and his body was nowhere to be found ( tbh there were a LOT of bodies piled where he went down), but now when I check factions there is no Holy Nation. a little bit of a wet fart I wanted to capture him.

Though only lost two guys on the assault. One was a Lower Servant who joined during a raid on a farm. He unfortunately eaten by river raptors because I could not find his body and the other was recent liberated slave from Rebirth who died fighting the Pheonix himself. I set up a camp with 11 sleepings bags and 5 mounted crossbows and lured out most of the front quarter of Blister hill. Unfortunately my idiot melee guys just charged in to the pheonix area and I wasn't able to rest and reset to get set up just for fighting him. In the ensuing melee he and his crew took down all but 5 of my fighters (out of 24) and 4 out of 6 crossbow men, but at the end of the day we prevailed and his body literally fled this plane of existence. My crew has been moved back out to the camp to rest up.

Total losses were two lives, two limbs. many of my toughest dudes have been in comas for a LONG time.

My total faction size is now reduced to 47 including 5 animals. In the end I systematically destroyed each farm, mine, and military base. I crushed okran's shield and fist. At the start of this campaign majority of my fighters were high 30s low 40s. now most are low 40s and into the 50s. Waging wars is a great way to train naturally it seems.

After healing my wounds I will sweep through Blister Hill and eliminate any remaining HN. Then have to turn my sights else where.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

v1.0.33 posted:

• Fixed getting stealth XP when in a cage

RIP ninja training camp

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
NOT.CANON.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Synthbuttrange posted:

Did you build like on the border or deep inside Fog Islands?

On that massive plateau in the north part

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anyone got experience for Crab Tournaments? Don't they happen at your base, or are you supposed to go to a Crab Raider settlement to do it?

E: Also have a Beep is good screenshot

Leal fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 8, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Chris and Nat did an AMA on reddit today, some good stuff in here.

Most of the replies are like this though lol:

Chris Hunt posted:

There will be one big huge feature that will change things up a lot. Not sure when to announce it. Not sure why I'm not announcing it yet either.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Leal posted:

Anyone got experience for Crab Tournaments? Don't they happen at your base, or are you supposed to go to a Crab Raider settlement to do it?

E: Also have a Beep is good screenshot

They're supposed to happen at your base.

You might never see them though since you have to:

A - have a base in Crab raiding territory

B - have NOT joined the crab faction yet. This is because the crab tourney is supposed to be an alternative way of joining the faction. Going directly to the source and joining up (while easy and worthwhile) will lock you out of this otherwise unique event.

I missed them my first playthrough due to B sadly.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 9, 2019

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Man no wonder I've never heard of this, option B is irresistible, like save scumming to keep Beep alive.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

mauman posted:

They're supposed to happen at your base.

You might never see them though since you have to:

A - have a base in Crab raiding territory

B - have NOT joined the crab faction yet.

I missed them my first playthrough due to B my first time sadly.

Thats whats weird, in my LP I was attacked by the southern hive. Was getting my rear end kicked and ran out of my base and ran across some Crab Raiders, who are my team. After completely reversing the situation and saving my rear end, they started shouting about a crab tournament. I got a thing in my faction tab about an upcoming crab tournament.

The time elapsed and nothing happened. I looked on the map and saw a green dot, it was at Ark, which changed to Crab Raiders after I took out the Reaver's leader. I headed over and got the notification "Crab Tournament has arrived at Ark", and after saying fight the tournament instantly ends and they all leave. Half of the group are "hostile" in that my cursor changes red, but when I send people to attack them they cannot hurt the raiders. The raider will typically book it quick out of the way, but even when I got them cornered the swords just phase through them. There is no reaction, no rep loss, the rest of the group don't turn hostile, nothing.

Its a shame, I wanted to show it off.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Leal posted:

Thats whats weird, in my LP I was attacked by the southern hive. Was getting my rear end kicked and ran out of my base and ran across some Crab Raiders, who are my team. After completely reversing the situation and saving my rear end, they started shouting about a crab tournament. I got a thing in my faction tab about an upcoming crab tournament.

The time elapsed and nothing happened. I looked on the map and saw a green dot, it was at Ark, which changed to Crab Raiders after I took out the Reaver's leader. I headed over and got the notification "Crab Tournament has arrived at Ark", and after saying fight the tournament instantly ends and they all leave. Half of the group are "hostile" in that my cursor changes red, but when I send people to attack them they cannot hurt the raiders. The raider will typically book it quick out of the way, but even when I got them cornered the swords just phase through them. There is no reaction, no rep loss, the rest of the group don't turn hostile, nothing.

Its a shame, I wanted to show it off.

That IS weird.

Also, having fun with the southern tribe still? :downs:

One of the mods I'm thinking of trying adds a northern tribe that's less hostile, but still kinda xenophobic (but willing to trade to a certain extent).

I'm interested because they evidently have war beak things and you can get your own via trade :getin:

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 9, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Southern Hivers are assholes :mad:

Promoting myself, here is the update in question where it all went down

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Leal posted:

Southern Hivers are assholes :mad:

Yes, yes they are.

I have a tough time deciding who's the bigger group of assholes - S. Hivers or the Skin Bandits.

Thankfully, the crab raiders make up for it.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
The AMA did confirm that Kenshi takes place in a tidal-locked moon. Wild.

Also that hivers totally do come out of that tank on the Queens' bellies. SO that's neat.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

The AMA did confirm that Kenshi takes place in a tidal-locked moon. Wild.
What little understanding of astronomy I once had has been destroyed.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wouldn’t that create loving crazy floods if there is any orbital eccentricity?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The more immediate problem is probably that the place shouldn't have a day and night cycle, or at least one that is the length of a local lunar month. If your moon whizzes through space at sufficient speeds to make all that happen in a mere 24 hours, you've got bigger problems than a little flooding.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it clearly just has its own tiny sun orbiting it, as it tidally locked orbits the bigger planet, that is orbiting the bigger sun

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

it clearly just has its own tiny sun orbiting it, as it tidally locked orbits the bigger planet, that is orbiting the bigger sun

First Empire built orbiting mirrors.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Oh poo poo yeah since for the moon to have an atmosphere it’d have to be huge, which in turn means the planet would have to be some super-earth, which would mean each day/orbit should be way longer than our moons 27 day year.

I’m guessing it was just a meme based on how the graphics work lol

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm fine with ignoring the dubious orbital mechanics of it so long as it keeps making the skybox look pretty. Don't ask no questions and Kenshi will tell you no lies.

When in doubt it was Narko's fault.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 10, 2019

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I'll be completely forthright here. I have never tilted my camera to an angle that reveals the skybox.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Surprisingly enough, you're actually missing out. Kenshi has some very pretty sunsets. You wouldn't expect it from a game like this, but if you dial up your graphics, pick the right spot on a mesa somewhere and then just look into the distance... well, I've actually gone "oh, this looks really nice" to myself a few times.

It also helps if you like deserts, I suppose.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Oh poo poo yeah since for the moon to have an atmosphere

First Empire terraforming, which is breaking down. That's why so much of the world is now wasteland.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

while it's pretty hideous and low rez, there are some really nice vistas on the leviathan coast. same with the area around hook, blue earth into blue sky.

it's not gonna win any graphics awards, but has it's own charm.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

CopperHound posted:

I'll be completely forthright here. I have never tilted my camera to an angle that reveals the skybox.

The only correct way to play is to zoom in close behind and play it like a 3rd person game I think. Everything has such a better PRESENCE from the ground's perspective than from a distant detached far-off zoom.

Of course managing bigger fights and stuff sure zoom out, but I keep my default zoomed in. It works best in small groups when you aren't running a full on massive faction?

Also erase the map markers so you can't see where you are on the map precisely. Getting lost and having to navigate by the position of the sun and planets is super fun.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Are there any negatives to being jailed? I saw the prisoners being healed by the guards so when I was really beat up I tried jumping into a cage and they all ran over and healed me then let me out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Other than costing you the use of a character for as long as their prison sentence lasts, there is no downside to it. You will be kept fed and there is no skill or stat decay. If you can deal with being a man short for a while, handing yourself in to get rid of an annoying bounty can be a legitimately good idea sometimes.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Depends posted:

Are there any negatives to being jailed? I saw the prisoners being healed by the guards so when I was really beat up I tried jumping into a cage and they all ran over and healed me then let me out.

You might get dragged off to be a slave, which is nominally harder to escape from but also a great opportunity to practice your stealth/assassination/tragic backstory.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, the enslaved start is legit the best one since most of your worries like food are taken care of, and you can practice some of Kenshi's best skills to excess.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I have a group of about 10 bandits I'm juggling into cages for the guards to heal up. None of them have legs so once they've all healed there's a very slow "rush" for the doors while I beat on them. I stuck a goat in there to test if the guards would heal it and sure enough they did.
I noticed one of the bandits had a bounty and picked the lock and took him downstairs to collect the bounty.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Got a real weird question, possibly for those of you who know poo poo about the FCS. I'm running with a ton of mods, and yesterday was day 3 of me playing a hiver focused game. I found a new drone to recruit, but he had a rather strange skin tone:

I ran to the plastic surgeon after seeing this, and also checked the character creator by starting new games. All my hive drones had a skin tone slider (western, south, and fogmen), but the princes and soldiers didn't. It was a little wonky, going all the way to the right produced some weird textures. I played for a while longer, then saved and went to bed, with the intention to maybe start a new game today with a squad of weirdly colored drones. I subbed to some new mods today, and then when I went to play found that this option was gone. Even after unchecking the new mods in my modlist, it's still gone. Anyone have any idea what would have caused this option to appear, or how I could potentially bring it back?

I'm hoping it wasn't just some weird crazy bug that's impossible to bring back, I rather liked the variation it allowed, since otherwise all hivers look real samey. Kinda wanted to start a new game with some weird drones and those concept art skeletons that came out or something.

Edit: Interesting update, I edited the XML editor files for drones and figured out how to get the skintone slider to show up for them, but it's broken in a different way than it was in my save game - instead of getting some weird artifacting type poo poo at dark skintones, they instead just have splotches on their arms (and only sometimes chest?) that don't change color. Absolutely weird.

And now that I've added the sliders back in, I can edit the hivers in the save without any visual bugs whatsoever :psyduck:

Coeurl Marx fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 14, 2019

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, the enslaved start is legit the best one since most of your worries like food are taken care of, and you can practice some of Kenshi's best skills to excess.

Until the guards decide they had it with your poo poo and just leave you to bleed out in the cage without bandaging after beating you up.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I decided to embrace my weird hiver skin bug, and use it as a way to get over my constant desire to restart and play something different. It's a lot easier to not abandon a save when you know it's got something special in it you might never be able to reproduce! That little pitch black hiver I picked up is my chosen one, Beep is his prophet, and the three south hivers I started as are his generals.

I went and picked up steady like I do in every game once I get ready to place down a base, and also stuck him on the menial jobs everyone else is too good for (corpse disposal and hauling of goods.) However, I built in Vain this time, with an acid river splitting my base down the middle. Despite placing little bridges on all the paths people tend to use to try and cross it, Steady still insists on jumping into the acid constantly and yelling about it. I feel like it's appropriate, really.

Oh, his corpse disposal job isn't working right and he loves to just run around the base hauling poo poo with a dead body over his shoulder. Should rebuild the furnace, I guess.

Also, the two Beep statue mods that've been added since I last played are perfect for a mostly-hiver playthrough.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Oh, his corpse disposal job isn't working right and he loves to just run around the base hauling poo poo with a dead body over his shoulder. Should rebuild the furnace, I guess.
Leave it, it's great strength training.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cardiovorax posted:

yeah, one of the least irritating ways to gain strength is to just load up all your guys with corpses/ore and have them follow around whoever has the material delivery job in your base so they're just constantly sprinting between mines and such fully encumbered and you don't have to pay any attention to them

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I just got a “bench press” mod that lets you made a building to train strength, it’s so much less cheesy feeling.

That being said while I had a blast with this game it just stops running well on my MacBook once I get a base up. I’ll probably pick it up in couple years once I’m living in a place where I can have an actual desktop or upgrade my laptop.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Azhais posted:

yeah, one of the least irritating ways to gain strength is to just load up all your guys with corpses/ore and have them follow around whoever has the material delivery job in your base so they're just constantly sprinting between mines and such fully encumbered and you don't have to pay any attention to them
Carrying corpses specifically gives an XP bonus above and beyond merely being overloaded with heavy stuff in your inventory, if I interpreted something that I found in the construction set correctly. For best effect, make them do both, to a sum total of 250% base XP, I think it was.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, but Steady gaining above 1 in any skill just feels wrong. He's a garbagepile and his stats should reflect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

his toughness should be the only skill he should be training.

"training"