Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Paladinus posted:

I finally had a chance to watch Killing Eve, and the first series got me hooked. The Russian prison was laughably un-Russian, but at least they had some people who can actually speak the language, which is more than what can be said of many other shows. The strength of the show is obviously in writing, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge is consistently fantastic at that. Will have to watch series two before the third one starts.

I’m halfway through season two at the moment and wondering why it took me so long to get into this show. I love it. Sharp writing, really interesting bunch of characters and oh my god the clothes.

I do like the ongoing joke that Villanelle doesn’t like to speak Russian so the show ends up mostly in English.

Also, Back to Life on iPlayer is pretty good. It’s about a woman coming out of jail after 18 years and I feel like it has a lot of potential if they make more episodes.

SEX BURRITO fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Marmaduke! posted:

I finished watching Killing Eve yesterday, also went through Crashing, another PWB comedy, pretty good but was probably for the best that it got cancelled so soon (as the characters were designed to be obnoxious, like Community at its worst).

Couldn't finish it at the time, and if memory serves, the final episodes didn't air, just tossed on All 4 instead. Same thing happened to Pure recently. I hated that the woman whose boyfriend PWB was trying to get back with was somehow the villain.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Watch this guy walk across Wales. I know it is YouTube but gently caress me it is funny and stupid and he is a treasure.

https://youtu.be/M7w986ni7_g

There is also a thread about him here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894680&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rondette posted:

Watch this guy walk across Wales. I know it is YouTube but gently caress me it is funny and stupid and he is a treasure.

https://youtu.be/M7w986ni7_g

There is also a thread about him here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894680&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Seconding this! It's very oddly compelling and the guy is great.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Padje posted:

Couldn't finish it at the time, and if memory serves, the final episodes didn't air, just tossed on All 4 instead. Same thing happened to Pure recently. I hated that the woman whose boyfriend PWB was trying to get back with was somehow the villain.

By the time it got to the last couple of episodes the characters were just actively sabotaging themselves so I was checking out of the show (the missus loves PWB though so we finished it off quite quickly). Also I couldn't get over the plot point they had for her to join the property legally and then they got evicted basically the next day. I can believe property managers being that poo poo but it still ruins any concept of a cohesive timeline and I'm a goon damnit!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm a little behind the times, but today is the day I start watching GBBO.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
All the way from S1 E1?

Edit: which reminds me, Pottery Throwdown is to be resurrected by C4. The world needs more turtle toilets.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 10, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

All the way from S1 E1?

Edit: which reminds me, Pottery Throwdown is to be resurrected by C4. The world needs more turtle toilets.

Yep. 7 seasons on netflix, though I may not get that far.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm a little behind the times, but today is the day I start watching GBBO.

I stopped watching when it went to Channel 4, but you're in for a fun time.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Yeah I stopped watching GBBO the second Noel Fielding got involved. He can gently caress right off.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

So far, pretty dull.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jaded Burnout posted:

So far, pretty dull.

I'd skip ahead to series 3 to be honest, it took them a while to find the formula.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

HopperUK posted:

I'd skip ahead to series 3 to be honest, it took them a while to find the formula.

I think it's sad they don't tour about and do regional bakes any more like they did in season 1.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah wasnt that the whole reason for the tent initially? That they could take it around the country?

I started watching in series 5, that was a good one.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

https://themanyfacesofrubytandoh.tumblr.com/

God is been 5 years, I might have a problem.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Series 1 is almost a totally different show.

I recently watched them all on Netflix, I think I started on 6 originally so I'd not seen much. They're still really good on channel 4, gently caress the haters.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I have discovered that Who Do You Think You Are? provides great comedy value from the subjects feigning emotion at their very mundane ancestral revelations :laugh:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

HopperUK posted:

Doing this right now, let's see how it goes.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah this is much better.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Not technically UK TV (and basically the only way to see it here currently is :filez:), but Pennyworth is good fun so far. It’s set in a weird alternate history 1950s/60s London, which seems subtle at first but by the end of the second episode is already going some places - a televised public execution?! The main guy is doing a very amusing Michael Caine impression and Paloma Faith is entertainingly chewing the scenery.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

"Paul has specified that it's at least 8 inches"
*camera cuts to the gay guy raising his eyebrows*

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
So apparently Lauren Harries – the child who gained fame in the 90's as an antiques expert, had sex reassignment surgery, went on CBB, and who's life seems to be somewhat unstable – is to appear on the next series of Naked Attraction. This strikes me as one of those things where the producers should have said to themselves "For her sake, no".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

There's a new feature length episode of Rocko's Modern Life on Netflix and it made me really glad that Alan Partridge managed to come back and not be absolute poo poo.
It's not offensive but it feels like "a boomer tries to be woke" and it's really just poo poo, god drat.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm watching Years and Years right now and I have to be honest I've never had this visceral of a reaction to show. To be clear I'm enjoying it (I'm on episode 5) but holy poo poo it's giving me anxiety like I never knew was possible.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

I'm watching Years and Years right now and I have to be honest I've never had this visceral of a reaction to show. To be clear I'm enjoying it (I'm on episode 5) but holy poo poo it's giving me anxiety like I never knew was possible.

Yeah it's a bit too real.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Enjoyed Years and Years - an exploration of how a family copes with an increasingly dystopian but all too believable world of the near future.

Until episode five and sex when it all went to poo poo and one of the characters developed super powers and they used a bazooka.

Really loving disappointing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Just watched the first season of Cuckoo, with Greg Davies and Andy Samberg. Not.... bad but really weird that Samberg really is a horrible shithead in it.

I get why Samberg was too busy for season 2 (although really, cancel it if the title character is gone) but does anyone know why they recast the daughter?

Tamla Kari isn't really in much else other than the Inbetweeners films and I can't understand why they'd can her.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I only recently found out that (a) They’re still making Cuckoo, (b) Taylor Lautner is still in it, and (c) it’s pretty much the only thing he’s doing these days.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The_Doctor posted:

I only recently found out that (a) They’re still making Cuckoo, (b) Taylor Lautner is still in it, and (c) it’s pretty much the only thing he’s doing these days.

Maybe it's for the best, to be brutally honest.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Yea 4 more series when the entire reason for the show doesn't exist any more is absolutely BIZZARE, it's almost like a spin off with the same name.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Holy poo poo Taear I haven't seen your name since goon squad a billion years ago.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Holy poo poo Taear I haven't seen your name since goon squad a billion years ago.

I...am not sure who you are!
But I have been in a lot of goon squads billions of years ago including EVE

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Taear posted:

I...am not sure who you are!
But I have been in a lot of goon squads billions of years ago including EVE

No, you wouldn't, I didn't go by this name then. This was Wrath of the Lich King era WoW and my main goon squad character was called Bonedood.

Sorry, not on topic for this thread.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

No, you wouldn't, I didn't go by this name then. This was Wrath of the Lich King era WoW and my main goon squad character was called Bonedood.

Sorry, not on topic for this thread.

Ah I do remember you! The game I hated and made sure everyone knew about it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Taear posted:

Ah I do remember you! The game I hated and made sure everyone knew about it.

You and Serotonin are the only folks I remember from those days. And a tank with a short name who was getting progressively pissed off at the "alts last" rules for raid looting.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Pissflaps posted:

Enjoyed Years and Years - an exploration of how a family copes with an increasingly dystopian but all too believable world of the near future.

Until episode five and sex when it all went to poo poo and one of the characters developed super powers and they used a bazooka.

Really loving disappointing.

did you really expect RTD to keep a show grounded and believable for five whole episodes?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jonnty posted:

did you really expect RTD to keep a show grounded and believable for five whole episodes?

I only learned afterwards that the writer did doctor who.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
also the idea that an authoritarian government would let somebody who until recently had been a low paid gig economy worker, with one sister a notable civil rights campaigner and another currently living in a 'red zone' anywhere near downing Street let alone in a room with the prime minister was particularly annoying.

sunday brunch
Dec 31, 2008
Whoever finds Romesh Ranganathan his local guides is a genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The most unbelievable bit of Years and Years was when they send out footage of the detention camps on their mobiles to everyone and this is a big scandal and brings down the government.

Mate, when a society gets to that point it's because a majority of it either don't mind or actively like the camps. America's having people die on the reg in its camps, there's been footage from inside them and most people just don't give a single poo poo.

Edit: spoilers since people haven't seen the whole thing apparently