Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Surrender to Russia-China axis that really exists, work towards the break up of the west. All that good poo poo.

I'd like to change my answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Truth.

Do Threads next.

UKMT should do a group livewatch of Threads in the hours leading to Brexit.

Anyone up to that?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Chuka Umana posted:

Anyone up to that?

Get yourself a girlfriend chuka.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't think many girlfriends would be up for watching threads for brexit either tbh.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Get yourself a girlfriend chuka.

Weird revelation that you wank along to Threads.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'd really rather not watch Threads at all.

Instead I'm probably going to have a pint with my friends and maybe run a one shot horror game.

I've also booked off most of the first bit of November so if I need to start scavenging the blasted wastes at least I won't need to be in work.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Chuka Umana posted:

Anyone up to that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everyone dies and then the army turns up and starts shooting, seems accurate.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Imagine if mad max was about to like secure a key source of go juice and batter some gimp when he was suddenly called away to have to narrate a personal tour of the pottery museum to a group of Indonesian grandmothers. Awks.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1162827158865231873
I wonder if it's starting to dawn on people that now Boris is in charge of the Tories, the choice really is between Corbyn and No Deal.

He's positioned himself so well, it's genuinely admirable.
:geno: *refuses to back Corbyn until it's too late*

:geno: This is Corbyn's fault.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1162827158865231873
I wonder if it's starting to dawn on people that now Boris is in charge of the Tories, the choice really is between Corbyn and No Deal.

He's positioned himself so well, it's genuinely admirable.

It would be genuinely admirable if we didn't know that the fuckers will choose No Deal.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Apraxin posted:

:geno: *refuses to back Corbyn until it's too late*

:geno: This is Corbyn's fault.

well yeah we can't have the Leader of the Opposition leading opposition now can we

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Recalling parliament would be fun but no real reason for Johnson to do it or method for forcing it

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Chuka Umana posted:

Anyone up to that?

I'm hoping I'll get to watch a general election with everyone instead.

OwlFancier posted:

Don't think many girlfriends would be up for watching threads for brexit either tbh.

I showed my girlfriend Threads because she wanted to see a gritty documentary about something.

She's somehow still with me.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Recalling parliament would be fun but no real reason for Johnson to do it or method for forcing it

Do you reckon they lock the doors to the chamber? They should all just go and sit in there, someone should find the mace so it's all legit, and then just start the posh braying

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sanitary Naptime posted:

She's somehow still with me.

she probably uses your account to read my posts and is worried about missing out on that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do wonder if Bercow wouldn't go along if they could get a majority of MPs on board or something, he did mumble something about political realities or whatever a while back.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

she probably uses your account to read my posts and is worried about missing out on that.

I asked if she'd rather watch threads again or read your posts and she's settling in for some melting nuked northerners.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

OwlFancier posted:

I do wonder if Bercow wouldn't go along if they could get a majority of MPs on board or something, he did mumble something about political realities or whatever a while back.

Looking forward to it being a tie and him just sighing and not bringing down the government.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Ken Loach should’ve directed Threads anyway. He could’ve produced a masterpiece with his talent and a few million more pounds for the budget.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Chuka Umana posted:

Ken Loach should’ve directed Threads anyway. He could’ve produced a masterpiece with his talent and a few million more pounds for the budget.
Threads massively overestimated the effects of nuclear winter.

A Loach version where everything's back to normal within a year except the Tories/blairites/dickhead older stepbrothers have turned everything fash would be much more realistic.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Guavanaut posted:

A Loach version where everything's back to normal within a year except the Tories/blairites/dickhead older stepbrothers have turned everything fash would be much more realistic.

Roadside Picnic except directed by Ken Loach when

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Guavanaut posted:

Yea but would there still be that scene with the creepy old lady mouthing along to A CATS SKELETON on the creaky old vhs tape with the mutant kids staring slack jawed in front of the tv?

That was probably the best scene in the movie.

I think they could’ve used Loach’s talent to at least film a better attack scene because wow it looks terrible.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Ken Loach was my pick for Watchmen. Never going to happen but just imagine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lib Dems: We agitated for a 5p charge on nuclear warhead use. We finally got the policy in an eve-of-apocalypse trade, in return for an unnecessary move to a medieval agricultural feudal-fascist system of government.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Unkempt posted:

Ken Loach was my pick for Watchmen. Never going to happen but just imagine.

Watchman except it takes place in Newcastle instead of New York?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Didn’t see anybody post this yet: Workers Seize the Shipyard That Built the Titanic, Plan to Make Renewable Energy There

quote:

Late last month, 130 ship builders, steel workers, welders, and riveters seized control of the storied Belfast shipyard that built the Titanic in 1909. More than two weeks later, they're still there, and say they won't be leaving until the docks are nationalized and are used to produce renewable energy infrastructure.
gently caress yeah.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Big John went to visit them because he's the best :swoon:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Threads did an excellent job of the horror of the 'day of', but - and I know I might get some flak for this because of the received wisdom - The Day After seemed to me to do a better, more subtle, more believable job of the horrors of, well, the 'day after'.

The idea that there's still a decent number of survivors who are still in a position to be thinking about farming, still thinking about tomorrow, but the ground is just... too poisoned. That's honestly far more effective for me than 'martial law is poo poo and mutant babies'.

Can't believe the revolution began in Norn Iron.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Japanese wrestling is good, very good in fact, not least because it features this excellent boy:

https://twitter.com/zacksabrejr/status/1155866005144363010

Also, I've never seen Threads. Should I?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

nope

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Realtalk the idea of telling the people of Belfast that they've got to let Harland and Wolff shut down is the wildest and most dangerous thing ever done. I'm shocked it hasn't produced an alliance between the 'ra and UVF to use whatever means necessary to save it. If Dublin put something out in the morning saying "We'd nationalize it and run it indefinitely" the island would be reunited before you could finish your Ulster fry for breakfast.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Harland and Wolff

Are they the evil lawyers from buffy and angel? It was a good show but I think you're exaggerating its significance.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Are they the evil lawyers from buffy and angel? It was a good show but I think you're exaggerating its significance.

That was Wolfram & Hart. Duh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because it is an animal pun.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tarnop posted:

Japanese wrestling is good, very good in fact, not least because it features this excellent boy:

https://twitter.com/zacksabrejr/status/1155866005144363010

Also, I've never seen Threads. Should I?

Did you ever see the movie Shame, with Michael Fassbender having a sex addiction and just being permanently horny? If yes, did you enjoy the relentless misery? If yes, Threads may be for you!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

forkboy84 posted:

Did you ever see the movie Shame, with Michael Fassbender having a sex addiction and just being permanently horny? If yes, did you enjoy the relentless misery? If yes, Threads may be for you!

Ok, looks like I'm watching Threads

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

forkboy84 posted:

Read that as "this thread may be for you" and couldn't really argue with it :v:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/operation-chaos-whitehalls-secret-no-deal-brexit-plan-leaked-j6ntwvhll

quote:

Operation Chaos: Whitehall’s secret no‑deal Brexit plan leaked
The Sunday Times obtains the government’s classified ‘Yellowhammer’ report in full

Britain faces shortages of fuel, food and medicine, a three-month meltdown at its ports, a hard border with Ireland and rising costs in social care in the event of a no-deal Brexit, according to an unprecedented leak of government documents that lay bare the gaps in contingency planning.

The documents, which set out the most likely aftershocks of a no-deal Brexit rather than worst-case scenarios, have emerged as the UK looks increasingly likely to crash out of the EU without a deal.

Compiled this month by the Cabinet Office under the codename Operation Yellowhammer, the dossier offers a rare glimpse into the covert planning being carried out by the government to avert a catastrophic collapse in the nation’s infrastructure.

[snip due to loving paywall]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

CGI Stardust posted:

That's great, wonderful, marvelous. If he gets asked he'll just deny it and smile (he won't get asked). Thinking about it, didn't the Conservative Party memory-hole their 2015 promises back in the runup to the 2017 election too?

Also from the Mirror, the Queen's mad about the quality of governance in this country, for some reason. Reports say she's "proper steaming", "she keeps doing lines and trying to start a business"

" Mr Boris"? Gg ed