Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Those have cam issues, no?

Apparently the 500cc is less susceptible than the 700+ engines

From the page detailing the problem:

quote:

It is not entirely clear why the 500 Interceptor and Magna are not on this list. They apparently are less vulnerable but it still happens. There is at least one notable design difference mentioned below. The '86-87 VFR700/750 Interceptors and the 1990+ VFR 750s (with single sided swingarm, no longer called Interceptor) are not affected because significant valve train and oil system redesign accompanied the gear driven cams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Those have cam issues, no?

Some say the 500 doesn't suffer from these issues, it's the 700 and 750. There's been a debate raging about these motors for 35 years. Personally I think if the cams were going to turn to cheese they would have done it somewhere in the previous 34,000 miles. If the motor does blow up, it's not terribly difficult or expensive to find a replacement. IIRC you can even use a motor from the VT500 cruiser. The real issue with the older Interceptors is maintenance and replacement parts availability. They are cool bikes and that look has aged really well, but I wouldn't want one if I depended on it to get to work or something.

The cam story Mewse posted is a bit of interesting manufacturing/moto history and is a good read. It's the reason why the later gear driven V4's were so good. This also explains the problem, with pictures:

https://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/v4_cams_what.html

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Gorson posted:

Some say the 500 doesn't suffer from these issues, it's the 700 and 750. There's been a debate raging about these motors for 35 years. Personally I think if the cams were going to turn to cheese they would have done it somewhere in the previous 34,000 miles. If the motor does blow up, it's not terribly difficult or expensive to find a replacement. IIRC you can even use a motor from the VT500 cruiser. The real issue with the older Interceptors is maintenance and replacement parts availability. They are cool bikes and that look has aged really well, but I wouldn't want one if I depended on it to get to work or something.

The cam story Mewse posted is a bit of interesting manufacturing/moto history and is a good read. It's the reason why the later gear driven V4's were so good. This also explains the problem, with pictures:

Interesting read and he's totally on point regarding forums regurgitating half-truths endlessly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gorson posted:

So according to this if you find an old Honda V4 with higher mileage it’s probably gonna be fine. Only low mileage examples are really a risk

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Are these bikes any good?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So according to this if you find an old Honda V4 with higher mileage it’s probably gonna be fine. Only low mileage examples are really a risk

Pretty much! More to the point though that you will see many VF500's with 30k+ miles on them. It's just as likely that after 35 years any component is going to give you a problem, and if the motor blows up was it due to chocolate cams or something else? Only a teardown will tell. Old bikes are a labor of love.

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

Are these bikes any good?

Eh. Nothing particularly special about them. 80's bikes don't have much value (yet) and parts are hard to source, especially for the more obscure models. If you're looking for a V4 "muscle cruiser", you might want to look at the 94-2002 Magna. They are everywhere and cheap. Just know what you are getting into with V4 carbs.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
This seems cheap.

https://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/d/lewiston-1978-honda-750/6956949613.html

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
It won’t be.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

$650 for an extremely clean SOHC Honda 750 is right in that “it’s almost definitely a scam but hit them up to make sure” realm.

There are still people left on earth who don’t know a clean SOHC is worth money

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Someone bought in within an hour

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I envy you guys who live in areas with stuff still on Craigslist. I don’t know where people have moved to (maybe facebook marketplace) but cL has dried up in the last year or two

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah it all moved to FB Marketplace. gently caress sending someone an email when you can get their real name and hit them on FB Messenger

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

gently caress using Facebook for anything, I’ll keep my shady wal-mart parking lot Craigslist deals tyvm.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s fine to hold that opinion, but know that most of your buying and selling market doesn’t share that opinion

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

Depends on where you are I think. Uncle Henry’s (weekly printed classified ads) and craigslist are still going pretty strong here in Maine especially among the older crowd, which is basically the entire state.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Found a few, i really want a touring bike to complement my tuono:
Goldwing :
https://poconos.craigslist.org/mcy/d/stroudsburg-honda-goldwing-6ooo-mi/6951174176.html
https://allentown.craigslist.org/mcy/d/boyertown-gold-wing-honda-1984-gl-1200/6950094469.html

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
< 6k miles on a bike from 1982 that you actually intend to ride = no bueno

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Theres an 06 650 vstrom with 46k km for 2800 euros 🤔 theres only two pics that dont show much and the description is mistyped serviced.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Theres an 06 650 vstrom with 46k km for 2800 euros 🤔 theres only two pics that dont show much and the description is mistyped serviced.
I don't know if that's a really good deal in your area or not, but if it is, why not just go look at it in person?

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Its about 1000 euros less than Ive seen them usually go for, might just be trying to get rid of it fast because of autumn. I should go check it out but on the other hand I shouldnt buy a bike before spring because I dont at the moment have a place to store it for the winter now that my dad has two bikes in the garage already. I just cant stop looking whats for sale.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I don’t need or want a Ducati Scrambler but that’s almost 50% off the new price for a bike with 1500 miles :stare:

https://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/d/old-orchard-beach-2016-ducati-scrambler/7007654179.html

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

moxieman posted:

I don’t need or want a Ducati Scrambler but that’s almost 50% off the new price for a bike with 1500 miles :stare:

https://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/d/old-orchard-beach-2016-ducati-scrambler/7007654179.html

Hopefully this is the first wave of folks realizing there’s a difference between the Ducati lifestyle and just owning a scrambler.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
It's not, Ducatis just don't hold their value for poo poo

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jazzzzz posted:

It's not, Ducatis just don't hold their value for poo poo

So I should hold out for 3k?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

builds character posted:

Hopefully this is the first wave of folks realizing there’s a difference between the Ducati lifestyle and just owning a scrambler.

What do you mean?

Also, that's in the ballpark for scramblers around here. I hope the trend continues, because I'd like to have one someday to thrash around. Even if I was disappointed in the monster.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

The scrambler’s ten grand new? Why?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Isn't the Vitpillen also over $10k new-- and the Duke 390 for that matter?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

What do you mean?

Also, that's in the ballpark for scramblers around here. I hope the trend continues, because I'd like to have one someday to thrash around. Even if I was disappointed in the monster.

Just that lots of folks are going to start selling scramblers, driving the prices further down.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

builds character posted:

folks realizing there’s a difference between the Ducati lifestyle and just owning a scrambler.

I meant this part.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

I meant this part.

Oh. A bunch of people bought scramblers based on glossy pictures and someone whispering ducatista in a throaty voice and then it turns out that owning a motorcycle is awesome, just in a different way.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
aircooled bikes are trash

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

aircooled bikes are trashsimple and charming

I'm just curious how an aircooled vtwin deals with slow off road riding. I mean, apparently the desert sled performs really well, but where does that heat go?!

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

MetaJew posted:

Isn't the Vitpillen also over $10k new-- and the Duke 390 for that matter?

Duke 390 is $4800 - $5000 while the Svart/Vit 401 is $5000 - $5500 here is NZ; The 701 is $6500 - $7000. (all prices converted to USD). I think the USA gets boned in terms of regional pricing when it comes to some motorcycle brands.

On the flipside the new Mustang costs 50% more in Aus/NZ because...well tbh they probably know only rich boomers will buy them. I think Husqvarna is trying to target the "cool tech-bro" in SF or NYC with their modern/neo/cafe-racer image and take then for all they can, hence the inflated pricing.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
My bad, I must not be comparing apples to apples.

The 701 is indeed I. The $12k range in the US. The 401 closer to $6300.

But yeah, I love the looks of the 701 vit/svart/sm, but maybe I'll wait and try and get a cheapo used one from a techbro.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The gauges on the Husqvarna versions is incredibly ugly and bad and the current discounts still aren't enough to make up for it imo

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Razzled posted:

I'm sorry, what did you say?

https://orlando.craigslist.org/mpo/d/clermont-1991-gsxr-1100/7009716325.html

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MetaJew posted:

My bad, I must not be comparing apples to apples.

The 701 is indeed I. The $12k range in the US. The 401 closer to $6300.

But yeah, I love the looks of the 701 vit/svart/sm, but maybe I'll wait and try and get a cheapo used one from a techbro.

It also pays to shop for incentives, unsold 2018 Huskies were $2k+ off, with a "hidden" 0% financing incentive on top of it when I was shopping around, I wasn't in the market for a Vitpilen when I was shopping, but the deals I saw put an '18 sub $5k, which made me go :drat:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Razzled posted:

That is a trash opinion

Coydog posted:

I'm just curious how an aircooled vtwin deals with slow off road riding. I mean, apparently the desert sled performs really well, but where does that heat go?!

The same place the heat would go from a radiator. Off road air cooled bikes tend to have looser tolerances to deal with a lack of airflow.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
DR650 supremacy but for vtwin my experience tells me they feel like mini nuclear reactors in traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Oh dear.

Slightly.