Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ka0 posted:

Lance is a chump. The true dragon master has always been Iris, even though an ice cream with eyes can wreck her team. Cynthia doesn't count since she coasts on how broken Garchomp was.

Cynthia has a non dragon themed team anyway. Like I never had trouble with her Garchomp because it has a double weakness to ice, while on the other hand my first Platinum team had problems with Togekiss.

Speaking of Gamefreak making us click buttons too much, remember how it took them until ORAS to even give you the option and only halfway through the game to put Organize (the only PC function anyone has ever used) at the top of the list? Why did Deposit and Withdraw even exist when Organize does both and does both better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zore posted:

It has lower offensive stats in both offenses than either of them and a shallower movepool lol

When Meganium is punching above your weight something has gone horribly wrong

I have no idea what they were thinking with Serperior originally. I mean, Emboar and Samurott weren’t great, but they were competent members of their types. Serperior, on the other hand, had pitiful offense, no support moves, and almost no moves outside of Grass and Normal. There’s really no point in outspeeding opponents when you can’t really do much of anything when you get there.

Say what you will about the Sceptile and Meganium, but both were fairly decent at special offense and support, respectively. Serperior had basically nothing beyond dragging the battle out and hoping that it could eventually chip away at opponents.

Even now, with Contrary, it still is a pretty big one-trick-pony. Granted, a very good trick, but one trick nonetheless.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Geostomp posted:

They already post healing NPCs in tough areas. If you could heal on the fly for any reasonable cost the games would lose even more challenge.

I don't want insta heal everywhere necessarily but I also don't think walking to a pokecenter and clicking through six lines of dialogue is a "challenge"

make Victory Road a trial where you can't heal or use repels between entering and exiting, just like the Elite Four. maybe add a couple of those gauntlets thought the game

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

indigi posted:

I don't want insta heal

I do

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Victory road without healing sounds extraordinarily bad.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

indigi posted:

I don't want insta heal everywhere necessarily but I also don't think walking to a pokecenter and clicking through six lines of dialogue is a "challenge"

make Victory Road a trial where you can't heal or use repels between entering and exiting, just like the Elite Four. maybe add a couple of those gauntlets thought the game

you can still use potions and stuff in the elite four tho? also this sounds atrocious, gonna guess you havent really thought about how tedious itd be to go thru any long path without repels

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
What challenge other to one's patience is Victory Road without healing or repels?

The game is best enjoyed with it's opt-in handicaps. Having too easy a time? Limit yourself in your own cart with the hundreds of ways available.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Victory Road really needs more reasons to be the low point of every game it's in.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'd be very excited for a pokemon game where you're auto-healed after every fight, would be dope if most trainer battles are balanced around you losing a couple of pokemon.

I also think that you should be limited to 3 pokemon at the start of the game, and you slowly get to expand to 6 thanks to gym badges.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I also think that you should be limited to 3 pokemon at the start of the game, and you slowly get to expand to 6 thanks to gym badges.

That sounds dangerously close to the first steps of microtransactions. "Unlock more Pokemon slots as you progress through the game, or pay $10 to unlock them now!"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It doesn't sound like that at all, what?

E: I'm not super into that idea, but why is that where you immediately go to.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

That sounds dangerously close to the first steps of microtransactions. "Unlock more Pokemon slots as you progress through the game, or pay $10 to unlock them now!"

Yeah, no, this is more like how action games open up movesets as you advance. Or JRPGs (much more quickly than what i'm thinking) expand your active party as you get the cast.

I think something like you start with 3, third badge gets you the 4th slot, sixth badge gets you the 5th slot and the eighth badge completes your party. Then the whole E4 gets 6 pokemon.
Play with this using your rival; at one or two points in the game, they will have already beaten the gym leader you're about to face, so they have a bigger party than you.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

galagazombie posted:

Cynthia has a non dragon themed team anyway. Like I never had trouble with her Garchomp because it has a double weakness to ice, while on the other hand my first Platinum team had problems with Togekiss.

Speaking of Gamefreak making us click buttons too much, remember how it took them until ORAS to even give you the option and only halfway through the game to put Organize (the only PC function anyone has ever used) at the top of the list? Why did Deposit and Withdraw even exist when Organize does both and does both better?

I'm convinced nobody at Gamefreak actually sits down with the game that's being made and plays it. How long did it take for them to make HMs non consumables? Add an in-game IV meter or at least a way to tell them? Better breeding options?

indigi posted:

I said it's not a challenge, it's a chore. Sorry about your reading comprehension.

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 18, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Any change made to make the game harder has to be balanced against the fact that it is a game for young children. Like the idea of "balanced around the idea you lose 2-3 Pokemon" runs into the issue of *who* loses 2-3 Pokemon? A skilled player? That means casual players are significantly more likely to lose everyone. Casual players? Then that's not far from what we have now.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Is there any significant skill being tested by making starters 12.5% being female, other than the annoyance of having to soft reset at the beginning.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Just make a drat hard mode already. Heck give it a bunch of modifiers you can toggle like DQ11

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ka0 posted:

Is there any significant skill being tested by making starters 12.5% being female, other than the annoyance of having to soft reset at the beginning.

Harder to breed without a ditto

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Any change made to make the game harder has to be balanced against the fact that it is a game for young children. Like the idea of "balanced around the idea you lose 2-3 Pokemon" runs into the issue of *who* loses 2-3 Pokemon? A skilled player? That means casual players are significantly more likely to lose everyone. Casual players? Then that's not far from what we have now.

My thought process is that kids that need to use all six slots are likely using 1 strong pokemon and have 5 to mess around when the ace dies. In the modern system with exp share and no HMs, I feel like losing those 3 slots for the early game won't change much when only bosses are going to use the 3 slots and you find people with 1 or 2 pokemon more often. You just won't have Super Effective answers to everything immediately, and as you get rewarded the fuller party, you'll be craving the additional room for more options.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

My thought process is that kids that need to use all six slots are likely using 1 strong pokemon and have 5 to mess around when the ace dies. In the modern system with exp share and no HMs, I feel like losing those 3 slots for the early game won't change anything when only bosses are going to use the 3 slots and you find people with 1 or 2 pokemon more often. You just won't have answers to everything immediately, and as you get rewarded the fuller party, you'll be craving the additional room for more options.

On the other hand this means less pokemon which means less fun.

Bad idea, flush em.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

My thought process is that kids that need to use all six slots are likely using 1 strong pokemon and have 5 to mess around when the ace dies. In the modern system with exp share and no HMs, I feel like losing those 3 slots for the early game won't change much when only bosses are going to use the 3 slots and you find people with 1 or 2 pokemon more often. You just won't have Super Effective answers to everything immediately, and as you get rewarded the fuller party, you'll be craving the additional room for more options.

Kids don't all follow one monolithic playstyle. There are plenty who just swap out when they get something they like more

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

On the other hand this means less pokemon which means less fun.

Bad idea, flush em.

Now this is a valid criticism.

Which is why we bring back contests :shepface: so you control both player characters, just that one's a trainer and the other does contests, under the 3 pokemon limit they both have 3 each and the trainer gets 3 more over the course of the game so you have 9 "active" pokemon (the contest character can't battle, but you can swap pokemon from either character freely outside of battle) contests get heavily expanded and some pokemon are just better for contests if they're in their cuter first stage and you can ignore this ramble

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'd be very excited for a pokemon game where you're auto-healed after every fight, would be dope if most trainer battles are balanced around you losing a couple of pokemon.

More party-based RPGs should take the combat philosophy of FF13 in mind (full heals after every fight, every fight had a "trick" to it). Especially the part where if you got wiped, you just got placed right before whatever killed you, instead of getting thrown all the way back to town or having to reload a save.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Now this is a valid criticism.

Which is why we bring back contests :shepface: so you control both player characters, just that one's a trainer and the other does contests, under the 3 pokemon limit they both have 3 each and the trainer gets 3 more over the course of the game so you have 9 "active" pokemon (the contest character can't battle, but you can swap pokemon from either character freely outside of battle) contests get heavily expanded and some pokemon are just better for contests if they're in their cuter first stage and you can ignore this ramble

That actually sounds like a neat way to make the games more like the AG/DP anime.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Yestermoment posted:

I should turn on the game and just be able to press A to beat it.

this but unironically

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I'm still amazed that the main campaign literally does nothing to prepare people for how the VCG is played, despite doubles being the format that's been used since Gen III. More and more Pokémon, moves and items are designed with double battles in mind, but the main campaign is still mostly single battles for like 99% of the entire playthrough, with double battles being rare.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Who else here is desperately hoping adorable but unusable pokemon get Galarian make overs/evolutions so they can finally be on your team? I would love to finally fulfill my childhood dream of having Ledian be viable.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 18, 2019

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Flopsy posted:

Who else here is desperately hoping adorable but unusable pokemon get Galarian make overs/evolutions so they can finally be on your team?

My crap tier buddies will be on my team regardless of tiering/stats because enjoying what I'm looking at on screen is more important than try-harding. They're cool and good as they are and they don't ever need to change. :3

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

d3lness posted:

My crap tier buddies will be on my team regardless of tiering/stats because enjoying what I'm looking at on screen is more important than try-harding. They're cool and good as they are and they don't ever need to change. :3

Watching them die if something sneezes on them brings me no pleasure.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Regional variants are generally supposed to be counterparts to each other, and most of them seem to actually be weak to their original forms on paper, with only Alolan Muk being a general improvement over the original Muk.

That being said, I am looking forward to seeing the new regional variants Galar will offer, including ones that are straight up asymmetrical to their original counterparts, like Galarian Linoone being able to evolve further.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Flopsy posted:

Who else here is desperately hoping adorable but unusable pokemon get Galarian make overs/evolutions so they can finally be on your team? I would love to finally fulfill my childhood dream of having Ledian be viable.

I will never give up on Farfetch’d, and rumors seem likely that my faith will finally be rewarded. I’m secretly hoping Maractus will get an evolution or something because it became the poster child for dexit before it was revealed to be back, so it getting an evolution on top of that would be awesome and hilarious.

Oh and Qwilfish, give that good fish some love.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i'm glad they're doing new evolution for variants. plenty of pokemon i wouldn't mind seeing having an evolved form.

e:basically repeating another post

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Panic Restaurant posted:

I will never give up on Farfetch’d, and rumors seem likely that my faith will finally be rewarded. I’m secretly hoping Maractus will get an evolution or something because it became the poster child for dexit before it was revealed to be back, so it getting an evolution on top of that would be awesome and hilarious.

Oh and Qwilfish, give that good fish some love.

All of these are good and valid and I hope you get everything you've dreamed of m'man.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Cacturne always felt pretty "stage 2 out 3" to me

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zuzie posted:

I'm still amazed that the main campaign literally does nothing to prepare people for how the VCG is played, despite doubles being the format that's been used since Gen III. More and more Pokémon, moves and items are designed with double battles in mind, but the main campaign is still mostly single battles for like 99% of the entire playthrough, with double battles being rare.

because 99.99% of people will never play in vgc

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Elfgames posted:

Double battles are still fun tho. I'd like to assume that the online seasons also havr a fairly high playerbase.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Elfgames posted:

Heck 99% of people will never even play competitive at all.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's not just about playing in VGC. People aren't using Minun or Helping Hand in VGC either, but if you want to casually you have like 5 chances to do so all game long.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Flopsy posted:

Watching them die if something sneezes on them brings me no pleasure.

You just don't believe in your team enough. :colbert:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

do people say mah rock tus emphasizing the maraca part or mar actus emphasizing the cactus part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

oddium posted:

do people say mah rock tus emphasizing the maraca part or mar actus emphasizing the cactus part

I've always said it the 2nd way.