Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Golden Gael posted:

I only know surface level things about it currently, and haven't heard of the other things.

The other things are the exact same thing.
Women and minorities in nerd hobbies is a bad thing.
Comicsgate started because a bunch of Marvel editors and workers (who were women) went out to get milkshakes.
RPGGate involves delectable people like Zack S. literally using their online troll army to doxx and harass trans women, women, and POC from online and offline spaces that involve tabletop gaming, up to and including at least one suicide driven by the harassment.
Moviegate (Probably not the name but gently caress it) was a lot of StarWars and Ghostbuster anger at women and minorities, up to and including harassing and doxxing several actors off social media.
It's a bunch of chuds who decided that white men were getting a bad rap so they got angry.

So you can understand why the reaction to you going "Well I'd have to weigh both sides and see who has it right" when talking about a targeted and virulent hate campaign against minorities women and LGBTQ+ people from nerd spaces comes off as disingenuous and centrist as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I mean if you really want to do a research delve into the root of the "why did previously 'normal' ['normal' for white males, i.e. toxic but not usually homicidally so] people get so wound up about women entering 'their' spaces and demanding respect" part, a key phrase to Google is "white fragility."

I'm sure there's a "male fragility" version of that, but white fragility is what I'm more familiar with dealing with and explaining. :)

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Golden Gael posted:

I only know surface level things about it currently, and haven't heard of the other things.

Gamergaters are fragile straight white guys lashing out at a world that they believe is leaving them behind. They don't understand why the video game industry is making concessions to people who aren't straight white guys by including representations of them into their games. To the gamergaters, all player characters and their allies can fall into one of two categories, with no more than one degree of separation from these categories: 1) the heroic (or anti-heroic) white man, and 2) the white sex object woman. One degree of separation is okay for allied NPCs, like having an ally of the heroic white man be a heroic black man, but any further than that, like a heroic canonically gay black man, is a bridge too far.

In a sense, gamergaters are nothing more than highly specialized fascists, focusing on video games in lieu of, or at least more than, the world around them. They are straight white men afraid of losing control over something they hold as integral to their identities. This video does an amazing job going over the psychology of the post-gamergate mentality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSaPSuQyw2U

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

It would be remiss of me to not boost another channel which I think has done a good job looking at internet figures and phenomenon, Down the Rabbit Hole. He's done topics on a lot of the strange poo poo surrounding the Time Cube and TempleOS, and then of course figures like DarkSydePhil and the like.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

The Golden Gael posted:

I've often thought of going down the rabbit hole of this whole phenomenon or one of the people tangentially related (Brianna Wu), but I feel like it would be impossible to produce something that looks at all sides, puts down just the facts, and overall able to maintain neutral composure. There's just too much information from too many sides with vested interests to make something most people would say "yeah that's about right" to.

Maybe in a decade or two.

As someone who’s done research and analysis on the shifting trends of online far-right communities and tried to offer warnings/preparation but been dismissed as ~too subjective~ because I’m a member of targeted populations, it’d legitimately be super helpful to have a video done in your style to (and please don’t take this the wrong way) get through to people who think unmarked English-speaking masculine voice = neutral/objective = more authoritative.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Doublepost

https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/1161478865279209472?s=21

https://twitter.com/stenderworld/status/1161593305601400832?s=21

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGe6017JwPw

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Tashilicious posted:

Because reactionaries, alt-right, misogynists and nazis hate people who are not cis white males in everything.
this is what you all need to understand. it sounds totally unreasonable and like there needs to be a deeper explanation, but there really isn't. to some people, only white cis men are allowed in (name your area of society here), that is the beginning and end of their "philosophy" and for some reason they'll defend it to the death

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
any words they add to justify their actions is only because their self-image is always of an intelligent and rational man who's the hero of any given situation, and they themselves realise on some level that "only white cis men are allowed to do this because it's mine and i own it" isn't an intelligent or rational basis for attacking people, but the alternative is self-examination and that's scary so instead they just make poo poo up

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

AFewBricksShy posted:

If you haven't seen the series Mindhunter on Netflix, you should. There's a guy playing Kemper and he is spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDYBmNYc8IA

I had no idea what this show was until a couple of weeks ago, when someone showed me that exact clip. We were playing poker at the Golden Nugget, and he was going on and on about how my voice sounds EXACTLY like the actor playing Ed Kemper. He went on and on about how incredibly perfect a match it was, then made us watch that clip. My friend was like, “Eh, I can hear it a little, but not that much,” but the dude swore he couldn’t tell us apart when we talked.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Inceltown posted:

In a slight change of format have an unnerving narrative presented by the media.

On Tuesday here in Sydney a man went and stabbed a 24 year old sex worker to death before going out into the street to stab more people in an attempt to suicide by cop. (Being Australia he only had a knife and was stopped with a chair and a milk crate before the police could even arrive). In a turn of events that will probably only be a surprise to 1 poster in the thread she's being described as a 'catholic school girl' by the news media here.

There is a real movement with the goal to stop newspapers from identifying sex workers as sex workers and, instead, identify them as people. Especially for indigenous victims who have, in the past, just been labeled a "prostitute" by default. "Former Catholic schoolgirl" gets more sympathy and reaction than "prostitute" or even "sex worker".
As much as we should remove the stigma surrounding sex work in general, identifying these people as something other than a "sex worker", as a real person who needlessly suffered and died, is a real goal for a lot of organizations. It's about the person, not the job. They even included her career aspirations.

If it's part of some pattern by these people or something I'm unaware of it, I'm not trying to start a fight.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I had no idea what this show was until a couple of weeks ago, when someone showed me that exact clip. We were playing poker at the Golden Nugget, and he was going on and on about how my voice sounds EXACTLY like the actor playing Ed Kemper. He went on and on about how incredibly perfect a match it was, then made us watch that clip. My friend was like, “Eh, I can hear it a little, but not that much,” but the dude swore he couldn’t tell us apart when we talked.

The next evolution of face blindness. Voice deafness.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

InsertPotPun posted:

There is a real movement with the goal to stop newspapers from identifying sex workers as sex workers and, instead, identify them as people. Especially for indigenous victims who have, in the past, just been labeled a "prostitute" by default. "Former Catholic schoolgirl" gets more sympathy and reaction than "prostitute" or even "sex worker".
As much as we should remove the stigma surrounding sex work in general, identifying these people as something other than a "sex worker", as a real person who needlessly suffered and died, is a real goal for a lot of organizations. It's about the person, not the job. They even included her career aspirations.

If it's part of some pattern by these people or something I'm unaware of it, I'm not trying to start a fight.

They had already been plastering the fact she was a sex worker everywhere. This was very much about playing on the madonna-whore dichotomy thing. All Australian news is some level of Fox News to put it in context.

Having a genuine movement to not stigmatise sex workers is definitely a good thing though and I didn't even realise there was an effort to do that so thanks for sharing that information.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Inceltown posted:

They had already been plastering the fact she was a sex worker everywhere. This was very much about playing on the madonna-whore dichotomy thing. All Australian news is some level of Fox News to put it in context.
Oh gently caress, yeah, sorry. I was afraid that I missed that context, sorry.
Out of context identifying a sex worker by their education is really cool though :)
In context humanity is bastard.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Inceltown posted:

Down to being literally owned by Rupert Murdoch, except for the publicly owned ABC which is merely staffed by ex-Murdoch people top to bottom.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Hey how ‘bout some good old-fashioned body horror?

“Kirt went to the dermatologist to treat ingrown hairs as he attempted to grow a full beard. He says a dermatologist prescribed him Minocycline and Epiduo, two drugs prescribed to acne patients daily. Just two days into taking the antibiotic, he says he felt a severe pain in the back of his eyes. From there, a snowball effect of symptoms began.

‘That was the first thing,” says Thibodaux. “If I were to lay in bed and just get up — there were pieces, like flurries.’

He’s talking about his skin, which he says started to flake off and trickle down like nothing. He says he noticed a change in his face — bumps, flaking and peeling. His skin felt like it was on fire, he was being ravaged from the inside out.”

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Tashilicious posted:

The other things are the exact same thing.
Women and minorities in nerd hobbies is a bad thing.
Comicsgate started because a bunch of Marvel editors and workers (who were women) went out to get milkshakes.
RPGGate involves delectable people like Zack S. literally using their online troll army to doxx and harass trans women, women, and POC from online and offline spaces that involve tabletop gaming, up to and including at least one suicide driven by the harassment.
Moviegate (Probably not the name but gently caress it) was a lot of StarWars and Ghostbuster anger at women and minorities, up to and including harassing and doxxing several actors off social media.
It's a bunch of chuds who decided that white men were getting a bad rap so they got angry.

So you can understand why the reaction to you going "Well I'd have to weigh both sides and see who has it right" when talking about a targeted and virulent hate campaign against minorities women and LGBTQ+ people from nerd spaces comes off as disingenuous and centrist as gently caress.

It’s a shame Zak S is a monstrous human being. I really enjoy my copies of Vornheim and A Red & Pleasant Land. Then all of his physical/sexual abuse stuff blew up right before G+ closed down. That’s the last I heard about it, but I don’t really know where the G+ RPG community migrated to.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, og NIghtstalker was dude they just caught (with the micropenis)

Listening to those casefile episodes is always a ride because without fail they mention his microdick so you hear the host say it over and over.

biology is so lovely and horrifying i hate it :cry:

Kitfox88 has a new favorite as of 07:49 on Aug 17, 2019

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

The article didn't touch on why/how this syndrome seems to have destroyed the melanin in his skin, so I went looking. Turns out that, while DRESS syndrome can be caused by all kinds of drugs, in mynocycline-induced DRESS the mynocycline is thought to actually bond with the body's melanin, making the condition more common and severe for dark-skinned people.

I wish I could find the full article and not just the abstract, because the abstract doesn't mention the permanent loss of melanin and I'm curious if it's been observed in cases before Kirt Thibodaux.

showbiz_liz has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Aug 17, 2019

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
the doctor gave me oral minocycline once and it made my brain feel like it was going to explode out my eyes and ears. i was losing my hearing too. and that's after i took it once. i'm also a black guy, and minocycline is in my allergy list now

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

the doctor gave me oral minocycline once and it made my brain feel like it was going to explode out my eyes and ears. i was losing my hearing too. and that's after i took it once. i'm also a black guy, and minocycline is in my allergy list now

That was my question. Why did he keep taking it for a whole month? If I was suddenly leaving piles of skin in the bed, I would be like "has anything changed in my diet or my medications?"
It took his mom seeing how bad he was and she took him to the hospital.
He nearly died. Because he had some ingrown hair and wanted a nice beard.
It's scary as gently caress.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Aleph Null posted:

That was my question. Why did he keep taking it for a whole month? If I was suddenly leaving piles of skin in the bed, I would be like "has anything changed in my diet or my medications?"
It took his mom seeing how bad he was and she took him to the hospital.
He nearly died. Because he had some ingrown hair and wanted a nice beard.
It's scary as gently caress.
some people have an easier time than others saying "hey, professional doctor who told me to take this thing, i think you were wrong when you told me to take it despite not having any medical training of my own" for many reasons

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Rose thought she was sweating onto her pillow, but it was brain fluid

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:stonk:

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Friend of mine kid had a little hole at the back of his head and at first they thought it was just an ingrown - turns out it was a lil hole oozing brain fluid that didn't for over during development. He's fine now but it was scary.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

lt_kennedy posted:

Friend of mine kid had a little hole at the back of his head and at first they thought it was just an ingrown - turns out it was a lil hole oozing brain fluid that didn't for over during development. He's fine now but it was scary.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

so do you keep the pillow after that?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ew that's like when my wife's friend had a pimple on her chin that kept leaking.

Turned out to be a cavity that ate through her jawbone and started draining through a hole in her face.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Miss posted:

so do you keep the pillow after that?

sure, it's full of memories

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

duz posted:

sure, it's full of memories

have a sip

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Ew that's like when my wife's friend had a pimple on her chin that kept leaking.

Turned out to be a cavity that ate through her jawbone and started draining through a hole in her face.

What the gently caress

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

argh

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

What the gently caress

Biology is basically a Lovecraftian horror.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Aesop Poprock posted:

What the gently caress

Whatever you do, do not go out right now and do a Google image search for "jaw fistula." Definitely don't do that right this second.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Whatever you do, do not go out right now and do a Google image search for "jaw fistula." Definitely don't do that right this second.

OK I won't.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Honestly if there's something SA has taught me, it's to not loving click/GIS ANYTHING.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
also if you want to hate everything ever, just google what adult teeth look like under an x-ray before the baby teeth are lost

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jokes on you, I already hate everything ever.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
well, hate everything ever, but more than you did initially

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Come on, that's rad as hell. The closest we've gotten as a species to being some kind of awesome nightmare monster.

Spoilered for sensitive eyes :geno:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 02:43 on Aug 19, 2019