Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think that's sort of in line with people in the BE route saying "oh Dimitri? he's crazy" but you only see two lines of dialogue from him in the whole route, one of which is getting mad at Dedue for sacrificing their own soldiers, so he's obviously not that unhinged. If anything, he seems even less unhinged than in the actual Blue Lions route

To be fair I think Dimitri is one of the most consistently written characters post-timeskip. Since he's shown in a pretty negative light even in parts of his own route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

SyntheticPolygon posted:

To be fair I think Dimitri is one of the most consistently written characters post-timeskip. Since he's shown in a pretty negative light even in parts of his own route.

I mean like I said, he gets T W O lines of dialogue post-timeskip in the BE route

and I don't even mean from posters, even people in the game try and tell you about Dimitri but never mention anything like...specific?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I mean like I said, he gets T W O lines of dialogue post-timeskip in the BE route

and I don't even mean from posters, even people in the game try and tell you about Dimitri but never mention anything like...specific?

This happens in reverse on Lions

"Edelgard is just fighting for her ideals"

Uh...care to tell me what those ideals are?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Look in most routes they expect "KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM" to sell it for you.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Look in most routes they expect "KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM" to sell it for you.

I feel like I missed out on a LOT of info by not watching any of the E3 or general pre-release stuff

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

I assume everyone does this, right? Too many items and too many characters to cross-check these things!!

https://twitter.com/vecchitto/status/1162750313922584576?s=19

https://twitter.com/Ran_gut/status/1156732564113166337

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I feel like I missed out on a LOT of info by not watching any of the E3 or general pre-release stuff

At first I was thinking that line was in most routes. But now if I remember right it's only in half. So uh, guess it doesn't sell his character in most playthroughs as well as I thought it would.

(post-timeskip spoilers) I just forgot the Bleages don't do Grounder part 2. My brain just automatically assumes it must be in every path

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah I played BE-E first and really felt like I had no idea what Dimitri's motivations were. I get that they want to keep back story and development for playing other routes, but it makes your victory really unsatisfying when you don't even really know who you're fighting.

I felt like BL did better with Edelgard, since you actually have scenes with her, but it was still a little lacking. Claude was kinda weird though. "Alright, I'm giving you the keys to the kingdom, now I'm loving off forever. Seeya!

I'm playing GD now so I'm interested in seeing Claude's deal.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Every route has problems with how it portrays the other house leaders. I get that the developers probably don't want to go too deep into them and want their motivations and ideals to be more heavily explored and everything in their own routes but I feel it goes a bit too far. It's probably least bad with Dimitri since he's the most straightforward of the leads but even so it's not great.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
what I find interesting about Dimitri's portrayal is that you only find out that him and Edelgard are siblings in BL, that never comes up in BE. If she's the one who kills him, you get a line of dialogue that shows they used to be close*, but you'd think that sort of thing would come up more.
*he calls her "El" in his death line.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Blaziken386 posted:

what I find interesting about Dimitri's portrayal is that you only find out that him and Edelgard are siblings in BL, that never comes up in BE. If she's the one who kills him, you get a line of dialogue that shows they used to be close*, but you'd think that sort of thing would come up more.

He gives the detail that They were step siblings

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
You need all four playthrus to get the whole picture which i get people not liking but i didnt mind it

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

It seems like Edelgard's life went straight to hell afterwards since her hair is still brown in that scene so I could see her not really remembering it beyond vague recognition.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

You need all four playthrus to get the whole picture which i get people not liking but i didnt mind it

Yeah honestly I kind of appreciate it. If you learned everything all the time on every playthrough than there'd be no reason to do the other routes, and they'd lack an individual flavor.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I like it but I also think it's to the game's detriment in some places. BL does pretty well since it's so focused on Dimitri, but I think BE-E suffers a bit narratively. BL shows that they can have a satisfying narrative while leaving some things a mystery, but they clearly didn't have enough time (?) to polish BE-E to the same degree.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kosume Shezaki posted:

It seems like Edelgard's life went straight to hell afterwards since her hair is still brown in that scene so I could see her not really remembering it beyond vague recognition.

It's also pretty heavily implied they were one anothers first loves, as Edelgard mentions her first love was a nobleman, and Dimitri is constantly taunted about loving her in the BL route. Also the loving ending

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
It's also neat how people are portrayed in the different paths. Edelgard kinda has a point in BE but in the Blue Lions path she goes nuts and turns into Yaldabaoth from Persona 5 .

I just find it fascinating because if you play BL or GD first you can totally think "man Edelgard loving sucks"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Yeah i'm super willing to just engage with every route on its own terms and leave any mysteries for later playthroughs, but there are some mysteries which kinda feel should get play in other routes as well and especially if you're someone who doesn't really want to play all 4 routes in a row or doesn't want to betray their favourite characters by playing any other route it can feel kinda incomplete.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'm #StillWithHer #Edelgard/Bernie2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The more I think about it the more I am convinced that Edelgard Did Many Things Wrong

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

The more I think about it the more I am convinced that Edelgard Did Many Things Nothing Wrong

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

although actually I wonder how things might have gone had she tried to ally with either of the other house leaders. I'm sure Claude, at least, would have been swayable.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gluten Freeman posted:

although actually I wonder how things might have gone had she tried to ally with either of the other house leaders. I'm sure Claude, at least, would have been swayable.

"Hey Dimitri, Arundel killed your dad. Wanna help me purge him?"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

the true route: Everyone Calmly Discusses Everything Together And Formulates What To Do From There

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Gluten Freeman posted:

Claude even says that the two of them probably share a lot of the same goals and hopes for Fódlan and Edelgard even acknowledges this in the showdown at the palace before going “ONLY I CAN SAVE FÓDLAN YOU FILTHY loving FOREIGNER”

what could have been but welp

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

rannum posted:

the true route: Everyone Calmly Discusses Everything Together And Formulates What To Do From There

Please dont spoil the dlc

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

rannum posted:

true route DLC is kicked off by byleth bringing a shitload of alcohol to the gronder field afterparty, at which point the 3 house leaders get wicked drunk and have a serious heart to heart discussion

leonie kegstands

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Claude even says that the two of them probably share a lot of the same goals and hopes for Fódlan and Edelgard even acknowledges this in the showdown at the palace before going “ONLY I CAN SAVE FÓDLAN YOU FILTHY loving FOREIGNER”

what could have been but welp

I just beat that chapter and that's a bit exaggerated.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Blaziken386 posted:

true route DLC is kicked off by byleth bringing a shitload of alcohol to the gronder field afterparty, at which point the 3 house leaders get wicked drunk and have a serious heart to heart discussion

leonie kegstands

Annette with an o'douls cuz someone ripped the label off and she's thinking she's supposed to be drunk and tripping over poo poo

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

leonie kegstands

Keg flips.

It's very difficult to pull off.

The timeskip has Hubert losing his law degree and having to go back to the officer's academy to get a real one.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Tae posted:

I just beat that chapter and that's a bit exaggerated.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I was being a bit tongue in cheek

Well not everyone has played every route, which lead to panic attacks of edelgard being related to byleth before actually reading the context

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I honestly don’t think he’d go for it. As long as Edie is the Flame Emperor and Dimitri suspects they have some involvement in Duscur I can’t imagine things working out smoothly. At least not without some poo poo going down.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

indigi posted:

Please pretend I had any skills with photoshop and posted a campaign poster of Daenerys and Bernie(Sanders)

Blaziken386 posted:

leonie kegstands

I can't decide if I'd actually like a golden route or not, but if they do it like that I'm sold.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

The double whammy with this is that in the Blue Lions, Dimitri tells you in like the third chapter that he kind of doesn't like the current Crest meritocracy, and a ton of nobles like Felix and his dad totally agree. I think there's absolutely a possibility for a route where Dimitri and Edelgard team up because man the opportunity is already there in terms of the writing, you wouldn't need to change any character motivations or anything.

Also, in terms of the game not telling you everything in a certain route - yeah, I get it and I'm totally fine with it. The problem is that each route basically takes place in a parallel universe. Edel's Dimitri is different from BL Dimitri (he doesn't even have the eyepatch) so it seems silly to defend the lack of motivation to kill Dimitri in BE being in another route, because it might as well be a different person. Give me a new reason to kill Dimitri that doesn't relate to his BE meltdown, or at LEAST show me some of the poo poo he's doing rather than just telling me. Have him hand the Kingdom over to Rhea entirely or something.

Also the real DLC route is professor and the students from all three houses starting a new nation and fighting against all three house leaders plus the church

e: route split starts after you sit on the throne just before the timeskip, Sothis tells you to become the crusader that will unify the world just like Nemesis.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 18, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eimi posted:

I can't decide if I'd actually like a golden route or not, but if they do it like that I'm sold.

The best suggestion for a "golden route" I've seen is one where Garreg Mach ends up caught in the middle of a full-on repeat of the original war with Nemesis. The Agarthans wake him up earlier than in the Deer route and Rhea goes full Sothis mode and everyone's sort of forced to clench their teeth and work together or all of Fodlan will burn.

Someone suggested that somewhere else and I thought it made the most sense for an "everyone ends up uniting" route out of anything else I'd read.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Also the real DLC route is professor and the students from all three houses starting a new nation and fighting against all three house leaders plus the church

All three? I dunno, feels like Claude would just peace out as soon as things got that messy.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Harrow posted:

All three? I dunno, feels like Claude would just peace out as soon as things got that messy.

Just the students, not the house leaders.

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.

indigi posted:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I kinda half expect the new content to not be a full route but like extra paralogues or scenarios that go into some kinda under-cooked parts of the game. Like a paralogue where Jeralt or Rhea are playable. Some map where all the house leaders can be deployed together since I think their relationships could use some fleshing out. Or maybe something that goes into whatever happened with Edie and Dimitri's mum. Just kinda individiual maps or a few sets of maps like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I mean, Claude had every opportunity to pick a side, at least in the BEE route. he schemed himself into inaction and de facto support of the church

if he was smart he would have picked a side and used his influence to bend the outcome to his ideal