Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
There's a fake Corsica tourism twitter account trying to convince people to stop coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

don’t doxx guyovich pls tia

lol

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Corsican twitter is pretty fun its mostly people making fun of tourists complaining about plants being in the sea water or doing stupid poo poo and telling them to stop coming
Right now i've learned that people like to bring back pounds of sand from their trip. Sand

Anyway tourism is kind of a global plague so i can sympathize with hong kongers on that front

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
bUt iT crEaTes [low-paying hourly] jOBs [with no benefits, career prospects or upward mobility]!

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Making the whole world a theme park for the rich is a fine basis for an economy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sparticle posted:

found the goon

What's his CSPAM account name?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
no wonder Typo hasn't posted in a while

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sparticle posted:

found the goon

dont doxx me

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

no wonder Typo hasn't posted in a while

His gimmick finally got to him

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Showing all the hk counter-protestors my posts and they're all impressed with my understanding of one country two systems, and want to gently caress me

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

glad we're sharing posts from chinese joanna hausmann in here and taking her framing at face value

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol jerusalem

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

R. Guyovich posted:

glad we're sharing posts from chinese joanna hausmann in here and taking her framing at face value

sorry they posted your photo dude

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It's pretty often you meet Americans abroad who are kinda milquetoast liberals, but if you meet a politically minded person living in Asia they're typically virulently right wing, openly racist etc.

In my experience most diaspora are like that, but probably US's specific ideologies keeps our ratios leaning moderate as opposed to blood thirsty fascists.

Being from privilege and not having to live in the society that has to deal with the negative effects of supporting that privilege really breaks brains, emboldens evil

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 23:49 on Aug 17, 2019

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lol jerusalem

super duper worldly like that

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

sorry they posted your photo dude

two other people beat you to the joke already, even for you this is a piss-poor effort

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

R. Guyovich posted:

two other people beat you to the joke already, even for you this is a piss-poor effort

I wish there were words to express how funny that joke is though I'd like to hear it a couple more times

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Bloodnose posted:

I wish there were words to express how funny that joke is though I'd like to hear it a couple more times

i'm sure you and your pals at foggy bottom are loving it

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

"sydney via jerusalem" ????

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

can someone please explain to me whether the hong kong protests are good or bad like abstractly they sound good but i keep seeing these pictures of them waving around american flags and in south korea the only protestors who do that are the insane geriatric ones who think literally everyone is a communist and that they need to be put in concentration camps

i cant even imagine who would unironically do something like that in trump year three is there a word thats just the bizarro meaning of tankies

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

can someone please explain to me whether the hong kong protests are good or bad like abstractly they sound good but i keep seeing these pictures of them waving around american flags and in south korea the only protestors who do that are the insane geriatric ones who think literally everyone is a communist and that they need to be put in concentration camps

i cant even imagine who would unironically do something like that in trump year three is there a word thats just the bizarro meaning of tankies

they're whatever.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

America is quite bad, but compared to China it is good

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

They're good

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The best move for China would be to absorb the province and give it actual representation in the party government structure but that both allows the Cantonese equal footing with the Han majority and removes an easy way for elites to shuffle money in and out of China, so it won't happen.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

America is quite bad, but compared to China it is good

durrrrrrrr great analysis

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
protesters: good
protesters for Trump: not good

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

durrrrrrrr great analysis

I wasn't talking to you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

I wasn't talking to you

gently caress off dumbass

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

Yes a few edgelords clearly trolling mean the protest which something like a third or so of the entire population took part in means it’s now completely bad and comparing an entirely different country and context directly with Korea is very very smart

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
pretty sure anyone waving an American flag that isn't on fire is a dumbass just about anywhere

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

The best move for China would be to absorb the province and give it actual representation in the party government structure but that both allows the Cantonese equal footing with the Han majority and removes an easy way for elites to shuffle money in and out of China, so it won't happen.

If you think Cantonese is different from Han you may need a deeper reading of the situation.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its good cause it means hk is annoying to xi but its bad cause hong kong is basically rapture from bioshock

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

its good cause it means hk is annoying to xi but its bad cause hong kong is basically rapture from bioshock

An unfortunate byproduct of communist oppression is that it tends to traumatize people into becoming hyper-libertarian oppressors, like Ayn Rand.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

je1 healthcare posted:

An unfortunate byproduct of communist oppression is that it tends to traumatize people into becoming hyper-libertarian oppressors, like Ayn Rand.

Or South Korea. Or much of the former Soviet Bloc

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Real hurthling! posted:

lol I like this summary

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
From my current slightly improved understanding, the core progressive demand from the protesters is a more western-style system of elections with universal suffrage, which they got a little taste of in the final few years of British rule when Britain was preparing to create nostalgia for itself as a benevolent patron right before the handover of the territory to PRC. Democracy seems to be the issue gripping the masses, and the connection of the extradition bill to that issue seems to have been what sparked the huge movement even though extradition itself is probably the worry of a much smaller circle. I mean a completely theoretical extreme extradition system where political leaders could be accused of crimes and carried off to the mainland would mean impossibility for uncontrolled electoral democracy.

Cops are pretty much always bad though, and governments sending them in en masse against protestors means they've hosed up but don't want to to own up to it. Revisionist MLs have distorted the "cops have class character" idea into meaning that there is a proletarian state with proletarian cops so they get to essentially revoke the working class status from people so we get this circular self-justification where all who the cops attack are enemies of workers so they must be representatives of workers, so their enemies must be enemies of workers. What proletarian cops would really do is not hassle workers that aren't attacking each other in some sectarian or antisocial fashion, much like the rich mostly don't need to deal with cops except to report crimes and plead for leniency toward their failsons in most places. The only way I see to argue that being what is happening is arguing that the PRC is some workers' representative and HK people don't know what they would lose by collaborating with representatives of their local capitalists to push HK further from Chinese rule.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
The local capitalists in Hong Kong love Chinese rule though. That's all anyone here should need to know. Tankies are really bad at being leftists.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Bloodnose posted:

The local capitalists in Hong Kong love Chinese rule though. That's all anyone here should need to know. Tankies are really bad at being leftists.

Xi has graciously only executed/disappeared/re-educated mainland billionaires so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Yeah but they've disappeared at least one mainland billionaire from the Four Seasons in Hong Kong so it's not like the writing isn't on the wall there for Hong Kong's elites if they don't toe the party line.