Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not like One Piece doesn't love to introduce one-off characters with unique designs, fighting styles and superpowers. Hell, Zoro lost one of his swords to a character who never had any lines and didn't appear before or since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not like One Piece doesn't love to introduce one-off characters with unique designs, fighting styles and superpowers. Hell, Zoro lost one of his swords to a character who never had any lines and didn't appear before or since.

I remember that part. Guy was a captain and had the Rust Fruit. That's all I remember.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Okay I'm going to try to recount what's happening in this arc just from memory. This isn't meant to be a dig at people or anything I just wanna see how I can do:

Many years ago (20?), Oden was killed by Orochi with Kaido's help (or did Kaido come in later?) and his wife used her power to transport her son and several others into the future where they became separated and eventually were reunited thanks to the Straw Hats. Meanwhile in Wano Orochi and Kaido have turned the place into an industrial wasteland thanks to the Smile factories which Kaido is using to create an army of counterfeit zoan for himself. The members of the resistance have been in hiding, and Oden's daughter has disguised herself as a geisha after being raised by Kawamatsu but separating from him due to feeling guilty about him going hungry from prioritizing feeding her.

So eventually some of the Strawhats, Law and his crew, and the Wano gang come to Wano and infiltrate to keep an eye on things and start preparing for the arrival of Luffy and the rest of the crew. Luffy and the others finally arrive and befriend O-Tama, who basically introduces them to Wano and how lovely it is with the help of Hawkins and his dudes attacking them. Zoro and Luffy are separated in uhhh, that one town where all the rich people live? Oh right that's where Luffy fights Kaido right? And then he's thrown into prison. I feel like I'm skipping some stuff.

So at some point Nami, Brook, Robin and ninja woman infiltrate Orochi's place and see the whole thing with Hiyori go down and facilitate the escape of her servant. Right? Then Hiyori ends up around where Zoro is which is when he's having his first encounter with the bridge dude who takes his sword. I forget why but at some point Zoro and Hiyori go back to the capital?

Meanwhile in the prison Luffy is being Luffy and finds out that Kid is being held there. He also befriends an old man who it turns out is a former big time crime yakuza boss and they're both roped into some bs challenge stacked against them by Queen. It's around this time that Big Mom arrives at Wano and her ship gets rocked and she's separated from her crew and washes up on shore with memory loss, where she's found by and starts accompanying Chopper and his little gang.

So meanwhile at the capital Nami, Robin and Brook have reunited with Sanji, Franky and Usopp and learn that Sanji has a neat new suit from his family who he still hates. Eventually that smiling dude is captured and revealed to be a former important noble who's also the father of Hiyori's servant girl. They publicly execute him and the Strawhats start a fight but eventually retreat and escape, while Law exchanges himself for his crew's freedom.

Back at the prison Big Mom arrives with Chopper and co and all hell breaks loose which ends up in Big Mom's capture and being taken to Onigashima. Which pretty much takes us to the current chapter.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

I remember that part. Guy was a captain and had the Rust Fruit. That's all I remember.

Wasn't it the sword supposedly cursed with bad luck that he picked up in Loguetown? I feel like it was Oda ditching a plot point that never really went anywhere.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Wasn't it the sword supposedly cursed with bad luck that he picked up in Loguetown? I feel like it was Oda ditching a plot point that never really went anywhere.

No, that's Sandai Kitetsu and he still has that one. The one that was destroyed was Yubashiri, given to him by the same shop owner he got the cursed sword from when Zoro impressed him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The one he lost was a freebie he got thanks to buying Sandai Kitetsu (the cursed sword). It was the least interesting of his swords in and of itself, so of course it got destroyed. Kitetsu's curse may well come up again at some point.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I know there's no such thing as too much One Piece,

but there's so much friggin' One Piece, goons.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Actually, he finally just started that plot. Zoro has Kitetsu III and the sword Luffy was running around with in the first Wano chapters was Kitetsu II. Each one is more cursed than the last.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Has been mentioned at Whiskey Peak at least that the cursed sword is a bit of a problem child for Zoro and he finds himself swinging a bit harder with it than he really needs to, but he just takes that as a challenge.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sub Harrison posted:

Actually, he finally just started that plot. Zoro has Kitetsu III and the sword Luffy was running around with in the first Wano chapters was Kitetsu II. Each one is more cursed than the last.

Zoro is just like this except with curses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI0euMFAWF8

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The question is whether zoro will finish the series with all 3 kitetsus or have to fight whoevet has the first

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zoro's just gonna have a golf bag of swords.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The curse's been working the entire time, Zoro's just too tough to notice it and the sword's starting to get desperate. :zoro:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sub Harrison posted:

Other way around. Kitetsu's swords are weaker the later he made them, with Kitetsu I being the strongest (and possibly in the hands of the Gorosei*) and considered one of the greatest swords in the world, in the ranks of Mihawk's sword.

*The gorosei member with the sword, the one he was holding has the same guard and handle design as every other Kitetsu.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It seems like Oda has wanted to do this arc forever and he’s just been saving up ideas, and now that it’s finally here he just can’t help but indulge himself.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

*The gorosei member with the sword, the one he was holding has the same guard and handle design as every other Kitetsu.

holy poo poo

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The cursed sword has actually diligently been working to undermine Zoro all over the place. It's problem is that it's been approaching situations with a reasonable, logical, outlook.

Unfortunately every plan is undone by Luffy, every carefully laid trap undone when Zoro didn't go there, every freak storm countered by Nami, ship damage undone by either Usopp or Franky, and injuries healed by Chopper.

Even when the curse likely succeed in working it's way into a situation, Zoro and the crew were just too strong for it. I mean, how many swordsmen are there who could just have a cup of saki and sleep it off after:
  • being swallowed by a whale
  • falling into the hands of a city of bounty hunters
  • being turned into a wax statue
  • falling into an underwater death trap
  • riding the knock up stream
  • facing down an Admiral
  • facing Aqua Laguna twice
  • facing down a Buster Call
  • being trapped in an underwater passage
  • having one of their swords rusted away
  • losing their shadow
  • being made negative
  • offering their head to Kuma
  • facing down another Admiral and his death robots
  • getting on the wrong ship
  • fighting a fishman underwater
  • being in yet another underwater death trap
  • facing a dragon
  • swimming across a frozen lake full of sharks
  • facing down another another Admiral
  • the huge number of other situations not listed

Not to mention the kiloliters of blood dude's lost.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Was Zoro's poor sense of direction established before or after getting the cursed sword

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Was Zoro's poor sense of direction established before or after getting the cursed sword

Before. He lost his way and had to hunt pirates just to feed himself.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Other way around. Kitetsu's swords are weaker the later he made them, with Kitetsu I being the strongest (and possibly in the hands of the Gorosei*) and considered one of the greatest swords in the world, in the ranks of Mihawk's sword.

I think Shiryu might've had one as well.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's like Dragon Quest VIII rules where you can't apply more than one curse at a time. Until the day that Zoro tracks down the witch that stole his sense of direction, no other evil curse can hurt him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

The question is whether zoro will finish the series with all 3 kitetsus or have to fight whoevet has the first

I doubt he'll get all three. Kuina's sword is too character-important and Ryoma's sword is too plot-important.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Darth Walrus posted:

I doubt he'll get all three. Kuina's sword is too character-important and Ryoma's sword is too plot-important.

There's only one solution to this conundrum: Zoro is gonna have to cut the 3rd Kitetsu sword into bits with Kunia's sword, which he has turned black with his haki.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

This. I've always been of the thought that each sword represents a burden or dream he carries.

Wado Ichimonji: His promise to Kuina and the dream to be the greatest swordsman.

Shuusui: Ryuma's legacy and a successor blade to Yubashiri which was gifted to him to carry the dream of adventure forward by the sword seller.

Sandai Kitetsu: The idea of his luck, fate, and destiny being more powerful that the swords curse along with a similar thing as Yubashiri. Seems to be his "personal" sword as it's the one he seems to go to first such as the time he was stuck in a chimney him asking Chopper for that one in specific as he could, "sense it". With this in mind, it would not surprise me if he upgrades his Kitetsu to one of the better grade ones.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gently caress trading swords, zoro needs to cut through the other superior kitetsus and have his kitetsu absorb their curse somehow

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

doomrider7 posted:

Sandai Kitetsu: The idea of his luck, fate, and destiny being more powerful that the swords curse along with a similar thing as Yubashiri. Seems to be his "personal" sword as it's the one he seems to go to first such as the time he was stuck in a chimney him asking Chopper for that one in specific as he could, "sense it". With this in mind, it would not surprise me if he upgrades his Kitetsu to one of the better grade ones.

This is probably the most likely outcome and one of the major purposes of Wano - to allow Zoro to get the Niidai Kitetsu.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gyges posted:

The cursed sword has actually diligently been working to undermine Zoro all over the place. It's problem is that it's been approaching situations with a reasonable, logical, outlook.

Even when he first picked it up in the bargain basket he decide to toss it in the air to see if the sword's course could beat his own luck.

Zoro low-key has a LOT in common with Luffy, especially in mindset, and having the devil's own luck is a big part of that as well as being just too absurdly tough to let insane bullshit slow him down.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So you're saying one of the leaders of the world government is under the influence of an extremely powerful but patient curse? *scene abruptly cuts back to the Straw Hats burning a marine base down*

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I feel like I've completely lost track of this arc.

I've read the 926 to present stretch of chapters at least twice; it's really dense.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Raspberry Bang posted:

Before. He lost his way and had to hunt pirates just to feed himself.

Zoro was eating pirates? :eyepop:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

MoaM posted:

I've read the 926 to present stretch of chapters at least twice; it's really dense.

It really is. Usually I don’t have this much trouble keeping track of minor characters, but the names and the sheer density of them is making it really hard to know who is who.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
has anyone speculated that whitebeard waas with the rocks guys as well at one point? or is this more of a reference to just the "era before roger" stuff?

"40 years ago" seems to come up a ton, lately

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
official translation ftw

https://twitter.com/translatosaurus/status/1163220272821886977

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

I don't get what the problem is? :confused:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I don't get what the problem is? :confused:

that's because no one's pointing out a problem, that's the official translator showing that dogstorm did indeed say that already

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Apparently Katakuri is going to be a boss in Sabo’s DLC in World Seeker. Also playable Gear 4 Snake Man

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the raid on onigashima is going to rival the chimaera ant arc from hxh in number of simultaneous badass fights

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Pirate Warriors 4 looks kinda rear end and I'm worried because Pirate Warriors 3 was pretty much the greatest musou of all time imo

https://twitter.com/onepiece_games/status/1163707989129383937

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it seems fine? not really sure what you're reacting to there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

How can you improve on perfection is the idea here.

But PW3 but with up to date OP stuff spunds great.
Gimme dat Wano DLC.