Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Well that's loving weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Over Easy posted:

Well that's loving weird

Nah it's cool. Instead of storms starting in Africa and loving us up, now storms start in Georgia and gently caress the UK up.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Minrad posted:

fahrenheit is a bigger number so you can be more excited when number go up

checkmate celsius

Celsius goes into negative numbers tho, and thats sci-fi as hell

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Nah it's cool. Instead of storms starting in Africa and loving us up, now storms start in Georgia and gently caress the UK up.

yes!

Kurtofan posted:

???

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

...where do you live?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Negative Celsius isn't all that weird

Negative Kelvin on the other hand, that's some weird poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

negative F exists

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Negative Kelvin on the other hand, that's some weird poo poo

Yeah: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130104143516.htm

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is the stupidest thread on this entire site

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

puve posted:

This is the stupidest thread on this entire site

Well yea, you post here. :)

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You should check the ? button next to your posts instead of the quote button under mine

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kurtofan posted:

You are staggeringly dumb

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

You are staggeringly dumb

Dont fight.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The forecast for today is :downs: with a chance of :downsbravo:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
I bet in the alternate timelines where IPCC targets are set in F instead of C we mitigate harder because big number scarier.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Who needs numbers anyway when we have so many shades of purple to choose from

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
would be v on brand for this timeline if using F instead of C for temperature changes was enough to spook the world into tackling climate change. earth dead because we used the wrong units lol

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Kurtofan posted:

Fun fact: -40 degrees Celsius and Fahrenheit are the same temperature.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Lesser known fun fact: 575 Fahrenheit is about 575 Kelvin.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i hope a hurricane destroys something soon

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

attempting to turn the topic away from C vs F, here's a post about chennai. it's raining there now.
from last week: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chennai/chennai-likely-to-get-above-normal-rainfall-next-week/articleshow/70579807.cms

quote:

The city has received 251.3mm rain since June 1 as against the normal rain of 206.8mm so far, a surplus of 22%.

from 3 days ago: http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/chennai/2019/aug/15/evening-rains-would-be-a-daily-affair-for-chennai-till-month-end-2019029.html

this article's got a post-mortem, kinda, on the drought: https://www.downtoearth.org.in/blog/water/chennai-water-crisis-a-wake-up-call-for-indian-cities-66024
they're planning a lot of desalination plants but there's the worry that the drought will lift and the usual high amount of rainfall will return right when they finish building the things. here's a graph of the last year of reservoir storage, which i guess will be improving in august:

edit: there are also single-digit death tolls from heavy flooding in north india, apparently

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 14:36 on Aug 18, 2019

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
is there no way to increase reservoir capacity and better smooth out the curve of the storm season instead of going the desalination route? was it this thread where they mentioned that like, New York City had ten times the amount of water reserves that chennai does?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

edit: before you hit page down just know that i was bored

i think that in general it just costs a lot of money to build reservoirs. the big thing that nyc, la, phoenix, etc have that i don't think chennai does is interbasin transfers. going and grabbing another watershed's water is kind of the key to water security - it means you can have water storage way the hell away from the city, it's basically diversifying your holdings in terms of hoping the rain falls where you can use it.

the trains that brought water from the Kaveri River watershed probably show what they need to do - apparently they built a quick 3 km pipeline to get water from the trains to the treatment plants, but i hope they're considering a more substantial underground pipeline along the same route. it seems like this water train solution was some pretty impressive on-the-spot engineering

edit: i just realized that graph is only 11 months. what the gently caress

also edit: there is an interbasin transfer serving chennai. according to that link they moved 3.7 billion cubic feet in a year - for comparison, the yearly delivery from Northern California to SoCal given here converts to 105 billion cubic feet, and this site says NYC's transfer capacity is 1.3 billion gallons a day which works out to 63 billion cubic feet per year in interbasin transfers. new york is about the population of greater chennai, so that's a good direct comparison. chennai can usually make up the difference* with local water supply sources, because it's usually actually pretty wet there, but then you get a drought and there's no buffer

*although they don't have to make up the whole difference, since Chennai's daily demand given here works out to 594 million gallons/day, so they're more than twice as efficient as new yorkers

so in conclusion water supply is a land of contrasts these guys aren't dumb, they've been building interbasin transfers and reservoirs, they just don't have enough money to do it on the needed scale. we'll see if that money appears now that the crisis has been demonstrated

and it's possible the desal plants are a panic move. it probably costs more than a traditional system, though it has the advantage of not depending on rainfall. it's fair to point out somewhere in here, also, that all of this dam/reservoir/pipeline water supply poo poo is an ecological disaster, and desal is less so. but usually the 20th century concrete solution ends up being the way to go, for better and worse

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 16:36 on Aug 18, 2019

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Cool post thanks

Yeah the ecological impact of this poo poo is going to be disastrous just by virtue of the number of people and quantity of land involved. I know desal is expensive as hell so the potential uh, allure for more traditional solutions would be there.

Amazing how climate change hits from both sides, you redistribute the water just a lil bit on a planetary scale and boom, shortages and surpluses that threaten millions

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

redleader posted:

would be v on brand for this timeline if using F instead of C for temperature changes was enough to spook the world into tackling climate change. earth dead because we used the wrong units lol

in one of these climate threads someone mentioned how you can scare americans about climate change by pointing out that "3 degrees C is 37 degrees F" and it still makes me giggle sometimes

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Al! posted:

good news

https://twitter.com/JustinBrannan/status/1163653835241459713?s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in one of these climate threads someone mentioned how you can scare americans about climate change by pointing out that "3 degrees C is 37 degrees F" and it still makes me giggle sometimes

lmfao

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Al! posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1163793840593092609

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

it really is kind of insane that we are already almost to september with only 2 named atlantic storms

makes me think we are going to be hosed hard in the next few months

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

wildfire season in california's been light so far too and everybody's waiting for the other shoe to drop

i read the claim that the wet year in 2016-17 is paying dividends this year in decreased burniness, which was interesting. i forget how they said this worked but it's an interesting interannual effect if so

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

oystertoadfish posted:

wildfire season in california's been light so far too and everybody's waiting for the other shoe to drop

i read the claim that the wet year in 2016-17 is paying dividends this year in decreased burniness, which was interesting. i forget how they said this worked but it's an interesting interannual effect if so

it's not even fall yet

fire season peaks right before snowmelt/rainy season

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
what is the current El Niņo and La Niņa status? are we in the bad one?

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

oystertoadfish posted:

This year was a very wet year for socal so once all that growth dries out it's going to cause problems.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

Irradiation posted:

This year was a very wet year for socal so once all that growth dries out it's going to cause problems.

how would you rate that wetness, from the standpoint of water

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

water was 130% wetter in california this year

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

A herd of wild mattresses, majestically charge through the plains.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

so these are air mattresses, not actual mattresses because if they were, that fence and/or video taker would have been in a WORLD of hurt

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

love to sit on strange mattresses outside.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

A herd of wild mattresses, majestically charge through the plains.

Invasive species in the pool area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

every now and then i have random nightmares about hurricane andrew despite not having lived in florida or louisiana, but just because I traveled through both those places after it hit and saw the loving absolute wreckage

if the US government was worth a drat (lol) there'd be a bare minimum that any place along the gulf coast and atlantic would be required to be up to miami dade standards or some like times two mandate cause drat

in the year 2025 after the omega storms become a regular occurrence, all aerial photography of the south with just be a big mess of blue FEMA tarps :capitalism: