Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Forktoss posted:

Thanks for checking this out - I get what you mean about it being a bit tedious, looking back on it it is definitely very slow to play. Will keep that in mind for future autoscroller stages. Thanks for the feedback!

I watched the level on the stream, I thought you did a great job with the design of the ships. It reminded me of a koopa version of the toad-shaped ships from Buckey OHare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Alright, finally did a new level. This one has a pretty tough section near the end, hopefully it's not so bad that it's impossible for everyone. You'll know when you get to it, it's very hectic, but the very final part of the level was tough to time without doing what I did. The very last part was actually incredibly hard to time because it wouldn't work if you went too slow but it also wouldn't work if you get through it too fast. Finding the right timing for it to work was difficult. But hopefully it works out.

Warning: You will need to be able to wall jump on a moving Thwomp, and there's several Thwomps that will come down from above that you can't see on screen. So keep moving

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Here's another level. It's a boss rush-type level that's probably decently hard, but you have some options in how to finish it, so hopefully it's not too bad.

Bowser Bonanza 4B6-3WG-3JG

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1162481986469941248?s=20

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1162543400790499328

I'm working on some Blitzes to leave you guys with before were completely wrapped up with our thread's jams.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Woohoo! I finally got 3,000 points!

I also finished up this Waluigi Ware level. I wanted to make a Warioware type minigame collection. I used a parachute bob-omb to make a timer for each room. Scroll stop is really great function, I love it. Each room has a "minigame" that's usually one simple or quick action. It's not exactly the same structure as WarioWare, and at the end I kind of played with the idea of Waluigi not being as good at Warioware as his brother, as his own minigames go wrong and allow Toadette to escape.

NGD-RWJ-V9G - Waluigi Ware: Switched

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 17, 2019

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
Here we go again! :cheeky:

Bouncing Blasters 4 ;) JJ2-1YK-CHG

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

With the pirate king's bones rests his treasure. However, no such rest has come to his crew. It's:

Galleon Graveyard
02W-RF7-01H

I love the theming, the little boat ride in the middle, and the boss. The challenge is just perfect for the whole thing, too.

I think the difficulty worked out to be quite right. Maybe not for the other 65 or so marios who died before I cleared it but everything flows well, which is what I usually think of when I think of your levels.

Sam Faust posted:

Here's another level. It's a boss rush-type level that's probably decently hard, but you have some options in how to finish it, so hopefully it's not too bad.

Bowser Bonanza 4B6-3WG-3JG

It worked better than I thought it would when I get to a level with 3 Bowser fights, I liked the timer on the second one, and the arena for the third. They can all suck it though 'cuz I killed them all.

Khanstant posted:

Oh this is super clever and satisfying, especially once I stopped being a moron and noticed the obvious door in the first room that my eyes kept glazing over for like six attempts for some reason.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

May Contain Nuts posted:

Here we go again! :cheeky:

Bouncing Blasters 4 ;) JJ2-1YK-CHG

https://twitter.com/JeffTMBG/status/1162570035589632000

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Suspicious Cook posted:

With the pirate king's bones rests his treasure. However, no such rest has come to his crew. It's:

Galleon Graveyard
02W-RF7-01H

This level was cute. I wasn't a fan of not having any real music, and section in... I the whale? was a little long. But overall it was cool and the boss fight was neat.

OneMoreTime posted:

Got a new stage for you all, it's this week's Jam level, Bomb, Burner, or Bust!!

Come and play the hottest new game show in the Koopa Kingdom!

Loved this. Loved how you showed off the mechanics and then implemented them. Loved the way the sun was used, very clever and visually satisfying to watch.

Crass Casualty posted:

I just finished a new level just now.

Top Ten Anime Betrayals
Course ID: QPH-Y0S-DYG

Course requires precision jumping and the premeditated killing of a close friend.

This was a cute level, but the one big critique I have is that the coins really should've been used as a guide, especially in that second section which has VERY specific jumps it needs to make. Instead it's these big arrows made out of coins that don't give a great indication of where and how you're supposed to do the jump. Also not a fan of the poop sound!!!

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 17, 2019

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1162543400790499328

I'm working on some Blitzes to leave you guys with before were completely wrapped up with our thread's jams.

love to blitz, guess i'll get on this one tonight!!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Blitz Level

Le Pétomane's Lifts
SND-LWC-V9G

Pretty simple and straightforward, might be 1 or two difficult spots. Didn't end up with any distinct theme other than lifts so I used the power of sound effects to make it more mature.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm half-tempted to do an expert run where I skip every level in the Super Mario World style and see how better I do then.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Oh this is super clever and satisfying, especially once I stopped being a moron and noticed the obvious door in the first room that my eyes kept glazing over for like six attempts for some reason.

Thank you for saying that! It took me a while to finally get the right restraint to make the puzzles to work in the right timeframe and simplicity. I really struggled putting that room in first. It was meant to be like a 1-1 set up with the standard blocks and goomba, but the door on top of the blocks is totally non-standard. I even for a while had that room as the like "tutorial/example" room before settling on making the start screen have the tutorial puzzle that can be reset to continue to the rest. I think it's fair for that door and set-up to be harder to miss, and the later callback room where you go in reverse and automatically "ninja-attack" when entering the room worked better.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Thank you for saying that! It took me a while to finally get the right restraint to make the puzzles to work in the right timeframe and simplicity. I really struggled putting that room in first. It was meant to be like a 1-1 set up with the standard blocks and goomba, but the door on top of the blocks is totally non-standard. I even for a while had that room as the like "tutorial/example" room before settling on making the start screen have the tutorial puzzle that can be reset to continue to the rest. I think it's fair for that door and set-up to be harder to miss, and the later callback room where you go in reverse and automatically "ninja-attack" when entering the room worked better.

My 1000'th playthrough of it makes me wish there were flags every few rooms so I didn't have to do the whole thing. :v: I realize that defeats the purpose, but I play games on easy.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

That feeling whenever you start up Mario Maker and it loads a level with a goomba walking towards Mario:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umc9ezAyJv0&t=116s

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Impressed, but I'm actually more curious about what happened before the video. You grabbed the spring and dropped it on the next blaster in one jump? Or did you beat the scale somehow?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

May Contain Nuts posted:

Impressed, but I'm actually more curious about what happened before the video. You grabbed the spring and dropped it on the next blaster in one jump? Or did you beat the scale somehow?

For that run I can't remember if I grabbed and tossed the spring in one jump or if I very quickly landed and then jumped again but both are possible. The video capture feature on the Switch is terrible and I'd have gone for a better time to capture the whole thing but I was pretty tired last night.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm half-tempted to do an expert run where I skip every level in the Super Mario World style and see how better I do then.

I think I'd do better skipping NSMB because of all the speedrun levels.

That being said, endless doesn't work for me anyway, I make too many mistakes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Going backwards and playing levels (mostly levels with screenshots attached)

Perry Normal posted:

Infiltrate and Rescue - 2HC-XRH-RWG - This one took me a really long time to finish, went through a number of different ideas for different details. I liked the idea of starting in the castle and going through the roof to reach an airship. I really wanted to use night for the airship section cause the rain would have been so perfect aesthetically, but the low G for the enemies just slowed everything down way too much, especially the boss fight. I may revise this at some point, I think I could polish up the cannon gimmick in that boss fight, but I'd been working on this one for so long I just wanted it done.

It takes me forever to make levels now, I had about 20 levels finished by this point in MM1, but I think this is only my sixth for MM2. I will say that though I find them both totally fine, I don't find either on-tv joy cons or handheld touchscreen Making as intuitive and comfortable as touchscreen controller on the TV in MM1.

So this was a solid normal level. The only thing about it is, I assume there's an alternate route if the Yoshi doesn't die? It's pretty easy to trigger the claw into dropping the egg so you can't get it, so you have to go down the pipe, but I assume you can go to the overhead section if you use Yoshi? The final section I just used fireballs to easily get through it, I don't know if that was your intention or not. Is there some way to get over to the left side of the axe with the Boom Booms? The boss fight was also kind of strange because at some point Bowser Jr just jumped down to the lower floor and I guess got crushed and died, I don't know if that was intentional or not either. But either way, overall a good solid level.

The Lobster posted:

I'm really not feeling up to doing Jams and Blitzes due to personal issues going on, but I did happen to make this sort of platforming Ghost House. I have lots of ideas for levels but I'm not doing them right now because I'm just kind of down. Making levels does help me feel better but I just have a lot going on that's keeping me from doing it. I guess this is sort of getting me in the mode for school in two weeks though when I'll probably have to stop pretty much altogether. :(

Title: Eerie Edifice
Code: P1C-LS1-1MG
Description: Bowser has built this spooky Ghost House to ensnare Mario! Help him escape!
Difficulty: Normal
Style/Theme: SMB; Traditional

Decent level. I have no idea how you're supposed to get through the ghost circle without getting hit. I don't have too much to add!

Suspicious Cook posted:

Bingo! My latest jam entry:

You've Bred Chain Chomps?
3DM-H1F-38G

EDIT: Looks like there's no option for week 7 in the jam spreadsheet!

So clever. Love the theming, love how you pulled off movie scenes (the electric fence was cool. At first I was like "huh?" but then when I jumped over it I was like OOOH). That being said, while the last part was cute with the music, I didn't understand what the final... thing was. Was that supposed to be the t-rex?

Spanish Matlock posted:

7th Level: "One POWerful Airship" 7BH-SV9-RDG

I gave this one a bunch of tries. I see why it's got a 0% clear rate. The mechanic you want the player to do is just too finicky to pull off, as well as enemy/hazard placements just being kind of mean and having ZERO room for error. This is the kind of level you give to like, Trihex. I'd probably have given it more of a shot if I could keep holding the run button, but you can't do that becasue Mario will grab the pow block instead of landing on it. So it just ends up feeling too unintuitive to do the mechanic required. It's a cool idea and I'd like to see the mechanic used in an easier less Kaizo setting

itschris posted:

Cool level! The theming was great, and I really liked your idea with the green snake blocks blocking the pipe.

I've uploaded several levels, but this is my favourite:

Saw Blades in the Sky: DJS-GRK-T6G

It's a traditional Super Mario Bros. 3 level with a vertical sub-level. I think it turned out well, and it's also by far my most popular level (it briefly made it to the popular list).

LOVED this. So fun. felt like a real Mario level, and it also felt like if they did 3D World style bonus worlds in Mario 3, this is what you'd have. Super cool, my favorite of this batch I played. Big props for having things feel spaced out fairly, even the really tight section at the end, I felt like I didn't have to do everything perfectly to not get hit. The vine climb, everything was spaced out really well with lots of room for error. Really good.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 17, 2019

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
I think I spent more time making this pretty than constructing the mechanism. :bobross:

Bouncing Blasters 5[interrobang] N2Q-50T-JTG

May Contain Nuts fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 17, 2019

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Macaluso posted:

Decent level. I have no idea how you're supposed to get through the ghost circle without getting hit. I don't have too much to add!

If you hop up onto the question block, you can time your jump out of it such that it occurs when the circle is open. Thanks for the feedback. Alternatively, hit the question block, get the fire power-up, then get the dry bones to hit you and while you are in i-frames grab the fire flower and tank through the boo circle. I've seen clever streamers do both. :)

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

May Contain Nuts posted:

I think I spent more time making this pretty than constructing the mechanism. :bobross:

Bouncing Blasters 5[interrobang] 2CT-G07-8MG

It took me a few tries to even notice what was happening with the bob-omb. Well played, but the cheese cannot be stopped.

https://twitter.com/JeffTMBG/status/1162782623162179584

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

J-Spot posted:

It took me a few tries to even notice what was happening with the bob-omb. Well played, but the cheese cannot be stopped.

https://twitter.com/JeffTMBG/status/1162782623162179584

Well then.

I actually took the level down and reuploaded before I saw this post. I don't know if the servers have a delay or something, but it was showing 0 attempts when I deleted it.

New code: N2Q-50T- JTG

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

May Contain Nuts posted:

Well then.

I actually took the level down and reuploaded before I saw this post. I don't know if the servers have a delay or something, but it was showing 0 attempts when I deleted it.

New code: N2Q-50T- JTG

Sometimes the game just decides it wants to stop updating until you close it and restart. Actually the first person who attempted it had cleared it as well.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

My newest course, meant to be more of a story course than a real course, following the story of the Goomba who you wronged in, "A Moral Dilemma," or perhaps his son ("My name is Inigo Mongoomba. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"). It has some cheese, but I'm happy with that, because the point is more the lore and the experience more than the perfection of the gameplay.

https://twitter.com/tehlobster/status/1163118670228287488

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 18, 2019

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Macaluso posted:

I gave this one a bunch of tries. I see why it's got a 0% clear rate. The mechanic you want the player to do is just too finicky to pull off, as well as enemy/hazard placements just being kind of mean and having ZERO room for error. This is the kind of level you give to like, Trihex. I'd probably have given it more of a shot if I could keep holding the run button, but you can't do that becasue Mario will grab the pow block instead of landing on it. So it just ends up feeling too unintuitive to do the mechanic required. It's a cool idea and I'd like to see the mechanic used in an easier less Kaizo setting

It's a cool mechanic and you can do a lot of cool stuff with it. I don't think you need to lean off the grab button, aside from obviously when you're throwing the thing forward. You just have to land on top of it and you should be able to hold down run the whole time. I think the second trick seems to be confusing a lot of people. I tried to indicate as best as I could with the coin and all.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1162820185058734080

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Apparently, there is a super jump you can do in 3d world, where you do the up+z+jump inputs for the spinning high jump all within one frame of each other, and you'll get even more height. Not sure how many people know about this, it might be brand new tech.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Finished my jam level.

Cool Cool Runnings: 2RH-XFG-YRG

Nothing really fancy about it. Its just a simple slide level with yoshi I'd been wanting to make for awhile. Unlike most levels I make its stupidly easy and should be simple enough for anyone to complete.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Macaluso posted:

So this was a solid normal level. The only thing about it is, I assume there's an alternate route if the Yoshi doesn't die? It's pretty easy to trigger the claw into dropping the egg so you can't get it, so you have to go down the pipe, but I assume you can go to the overhead section if you use Yoshi? The final section I just used fireballs to easily get through it, I don't know if that was your intention or not. Is there some way to get over to the left side of the axe with the Boom Booms? The boss fight was also kind of strange because at some point Bowser Jr just jumped down to the lower floor and I guess got crushed and died, I don't know if that was intentional or not either. But either way, overall a good solid level.

No alternate route for the Yoshi. There is a 1up you can get to above by jumping off Yoshi, but no real alternate path My original intention was that you either make it over with Yoshi and use his spit fire to clear out the enemies in the final section, or if you lost the Yoshi you can just kick the first turtle and run after it. No way to get on the other side of the axe. I never thought that Bowser Jr. would jump down, but that does make sense. I don't think I ever kept him alive long enough for that to happen, LOL. Thanks for playing and for the feedback!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Finished my Blitz level. It's...not my best work. My original concept was gonna take way longer than 2 hours to properly make and playtest so I threw this together instead. The lift platforms are a little janky if you go fast but hopefully it just feels like a tough athletic level.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Also, silly thing I discovered when looking at Mario Maker youtube videos: normally every enemy has to be either next to each other (i.e. tile 1 and tile 2 both contain goombas( or have tile gaps inbetween (Tile 1 has a goomba, tile 2 nothing, tile 3 goomba.) This is relevant because in SMB, you can have enemies spawn in half tile increments. Turn out you can replicate this by placing an enemy on top of a giant enemy and playing said giant enemy in the ground, despawning them when the stage starts and getting your half tile spawn.

This is absolutely useless but I found it way too fascinating not to share.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
I'm just here to whore out one of my levels

Cape Escape
3QQ-2Y6-J9G
A "puzzle" level that uses a handful of cape tricks. I wanted to take a few mechanics from the kaizo wiki and make a regular level out of them, so if you're a kaizo expert this probably isn't going to seem that novel. The technique where Mario glues himself to the ceiling is hilarious.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I set out to try and make a pick a door level that wasn't a kick in the butt "if you choose wrong then you die immediately" type of level.

I got real into it, made two pretty cool paths and then found out that there's some limitations in mario maker that ruined what I had else so I sorta got disinterested and finished the level pretty quickly. Overall I'm still happy with the level and I had fun with it!

It's called Choices.
https://twitter.com/Mintaka2D/status/1162924400988938240

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

OneMoreTime posted:

Also, silly thing I discovered when looking at Mario Maker youtube videos: normally every enemy has to be either next to each other (i.e. tile 1 and tile 2 both contain goombas( or have tile gaps inbetween (Tile 1 has a goomba, tile 2 nothing, tile 3 goomba.) This is relevant because in SMB, you can have enemies spawn in half tile increments. Turn out you can replicate this by placing an enemy on top of a giant enemy and playing said giant enemy in the ground, despawning them when the stage starts and getting your half tile spawn.

This is absolutely useless but I found it way too fascinating not to share.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help me align thwomps with single tiles (and half of each adjacent tile) like I could in the first Maker. That's actually something that would help me make levels look more pleasing.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Argue posted:

Unfortunately, this doesn't help me align thwomps with single tiles (and half of each adjacent tile) like I could in the first Maker. That's actually something that would help me make levels look more pleasing.

Yeah I wanted to have a thwomp dispense three 1-up mushrooms from note blocks by hitting time in that kind of configuration, and I had to end up going with launchers instead. It works mechanically, but it's not as cool.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Question: What does the tag, "Themed," mean to you?

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Argue posted:

Actually you can! Just tested it with switch and brick blocks by placing them on a goomba and it works out. It's still limited obviously since there's an obstacle in the way but...y'know

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

The Lobster posted:

Either around a known idea (like say, a TV show) or pretty exclusively around a an object, whether that's a mario maker object like a goomba or, I dunno a vacuum cleaner?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Themed to me just means a level that has a coherent visual and gameplay theme throughout it. I'd say most Mario levels from official games would qualify as this. I suppose some might take it to mean extremely thematic levels with heavy visual dressing, but I think its equally valid to apply it to the gameplay. A good themed level too me has both consistent visuals and gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

My 1000'th playthrough of it makes me wish there were flags every few rooms so I didn't have to do the whole thing. :v: I realize that defeats the purpose, but I play games on easy.

That's a good point. I want to revisit this concept in another theme eventually and will definitely try to set up a checkpoint system. By the end I was so used to doing it all I lost track of how long it took to get there if you die. I wonder if there would be a good way to make it so a failed puzzle loses you a "life point," so you can fail 2 times but not die, just reset for the next puzzle. Then you die on third failure. Or just let you always progress but get the "bad ending" if you don't complete any given puzzle.

The Lobster posted:

I take it to mean the creator took care to weave the setting and gameplay together, with a pretty wide spectrum of what the themes can be between those things. A level that uses just a single tile, no-slopes line of blocks as the bare minimum for their levels platforming challenges is probably not themed. When it feels like the blocks and objects are purely functional, taken at face value, you never see a certain block as actually a grass tile, or glass in a spaceship viewscreen, or use your imagination to interpret, it's not themed. As a tag to use, a lot of great levels will necessarily be themed through design in some fashion, but if the theming is itself a focus of the level is when the tag is most appropriate. There are also levels created around a specific theme or idea, a base idea and the level is built out from that unifying concept.