Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
So Owen Jones got the poo poo beat out of him last night while celebrating his birthday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

:laffo: I assume "worst-case scenario" has now been updated to simply "Total breakdown of society, continuity of government theoretically possible only from secure bunker and authority will end where remaining loyal soldiers' bayonets do."

Chuka Umana posted:

So Owen Jones got the poo poo beat out of him last night while celebrating his birthday.

"How DARE you claim my rhetoric got Owen Jones beaten up!" - Every racist twat on twitter today.

Also the Mail is, I'm happy to report, predicting that the Saboteurs are going to crush Boris like they did May;

also lol prince andrew's a nonce

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
When No Deal happens, what's the EUs plan for the border & the GFA? Is Ireland not closing it's border something BoJo is counting on? If I got to decide things then we'd have a combined EU fleet blockading NI and enforcing customs checks between NI and GB and telling anyone who complains: Sorry, peace/the GFA is more important than your "sovereignty".

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

zokie posted:

When No Deal happens, what's the EUs plan for the border & the GFA? Is Ireland not closing it's border something BoJo is counting on? If I got to decide things then we'd have a combined EU fleet blockading NI and enforcing customs checks between NI and GB and telling anyone who complains: Sorry, peace/the GFA is more important than your "sovereignty".

I think Boris is hoping that no one in NI will actually do anything in reaction to a hard border.

That or Boris will suspend Stormont and let the RUC (I know they’re not called that but they’re basically the same thing) sort it all out.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I assume the plan in the event of a hard border is to just wait a few weeks until Ulster joins the Free State because the UK's transmutation into a corncob basket case is complete ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Chuka Umana posted:

I have seen so many "I don't support violence but owen jones is xyz rah rah rah (I basically do support this) comments from "neutrals".

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Woo!!!

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

The EU will have to put up a hard boarder otherwise it will be in breach of WTO rules.

Johnson (please can we stop calling him Boris as it only burnishes his legend) and his government might not put up anything on our side of the boarder as they want to transform the UK the ultimate "free" market.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Post about nicer stuff.

Was my sisters wedding yesterday, and it was brilliant. Kids were cute, music was great, and instead of a wedding cake they had a massive pile of cheese.

I did a reading of an abridged version of Baz Luhrmans "Wear Sunscreen" and it went down even better than I hoped it would. The speeches were touching, but also savage with memories of all the childish tantrums, speeding tickets, and how my dad caught the groom licking gravy off his plate.

Hopefully I can sneak off with a big chunk of Yarg this morning.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Post about nicer stuff.

Climate change is 50 years ahead of predictions

There's a greater area of forest fire above the arctic circle than there is sea ice

It's snowing plastic in the Arctic

E: LOL sorry misread your post

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Threads massively overestimated the effects of nuclear winter.

A Loach version where everything's back to normal within a year except the Tories/blairites/dickhead older stepbrothers have turned everything fash would be much more realistic.

Even the ridiculously rigged (in our favour) Square Leg had 50% of the population dead in a week and all power, port and water infrastructure gone. You don't need nuclear winter at that point because anyone not living within walking distance of a source of food and potable water (that will have drastically reduced - and radioactive - productivity) is dead within a month. There's no "back to normal" from that - at best we have to start again from the Agricultural Revolution, at worst we're at the early Iron Age.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
No offence to anyone but fancy weddings with long speeches and poo poo are one of the corniest things mankind is able to produce. They also seem so drat wasteful

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pochoclo posted:

No offence to anyone but fancy weddings with long speeches and poo poo are one of the corniest things mankind is able to produce. They also seem so drat wasteful

My cousin apparently spent something like 10 grand on her wedding and the marriage didn't even last 5 loving years. It's insanity.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

My cousin apparently spent something like 10 grand on her wedding and the marriage didn't even last 5 loving years. It's insanity.

There's apparently a pretty strong inverse correlation between the expense of a wedding and the longevity of the marriage.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Even the ridiculously rigged (in our favour) Square Leg had 50% of the population dead in a week and all power, port and water infrastructure gone. You don't need nuclear winter at that point because anyone not living within walking distance of a source of food and potable water (that will have drastically reduced - and radioactive - productivity) is dead within a month. There's no "back to normal" from that - at best we have to start again from the Agricultural Revolution, at worst we're at the early Iron Age.

Yeah, but it'll be worth it to reclaim our sovereignty from the EU, innit

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Small price to pay for are freedoms

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

you're invited to my wedding, its a dozen guests on a Fijian beach and we're covering flights and hotel. Still cheaper than a uk one.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

When I was young my father said to me:

"Corbyn is a racist....Frances Weetman"

I understood it as "Corbyn is a racist, France is wheat, man".

For more than a decade I wondered over the meaning of the second part and what was the surreal linkage between the two? If I said the quote to someone, "Corbyn is a racist, France is wheat, man" they nodded knowingly. Or someone might say, "Corbyn is a racist" and I'd finish the quote "France is wheat, man" and they wouldn't look at me like I'd said something very odd but thoughtfully agree. I did ask a teacher what did "Corbyn is a racist, France is wheat, man" mean and got a full 10 minute explanation of the Corbyn is a racist bit but nothing on "France is wheat, man". When I prompted further explanation by saying "France is wheat, man?" in a questioning tone I just got a "yes". at 12 I didn't have the confidence to press it further. I just accepted it as something I'd never understand.

It wasn't until years later I saw it written down that the penny dropped.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

When Ireland (north) renews the troubles
Frances Weetman tweets @ me
Tweeting "This is bad for
Jeremeee"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

My mum and stepdad had a wedding costing a few hundred quid and they're still happily together 15ish years later.

My ex and I were planning to just go to the courthouse and then go have a nice meal out.

If people want to spend loads on a wedding that's their business but I will never understand spending, like, new car amounts of money or down payment on a house amounts.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Down to the town hall for the marriage, over to Harry Ramsden's for the wedding lunch. (Then Lake Como in Italy for the honeymoon. Priorities!)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Payndz posted:

Down to the town hall for the marriage, over to Harry Ramsden's for the wedding lunch. (Then Lake Como in Italy for the honeymoon. Priorities!)

Yeah, if you're going to spend all that money just spend it on the honeymoon. At least that's fun.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

To be fair most of my wedding expense was ordering the bride

ho ho ho

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Threads chat: I picked up a book at London Film & Comic Con last month called "Protect & Survive: 9 Monologues". Its a spiritual successor to Threads (ish). Day Zero minus is set in Brighton, the day Threads is aired on television. The following 8 monologues are different periods after that, after a nuclear strike (which just happens to land the day after Threads airs :v: ) hits the UK. The monologues are from different people giving accounts of how they came to their current point and what their outlook is, a bit like a nuclear winter version of World War Z (The book not the film). Worth checking out.

A good watch if you'd prefer visual entertainment - Jericho. HBO series from 2007(?) which unfortunately was cancelled after 2 seasons but was IMO very good. Small town in middle America. Nukes go off in major cities around the country. Nobody knows why or can even figure out who might have started the attack. Series follows the residents trying to a) survive, b) figure out what the hell happened, c) regain contact with civilization outside of their own small town. Lennie James plays a key character in the series too.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 18, 2019

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ratjaculation posted:

To be fair most of my wedding expense was ordering the bride

ho ho ho

Well it would be expensive if you ordered three

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Threads chat: I picked up a book at London Film & Comic Con last month called "Protect & Survive: 9 Monologues". Its a spiritual successor to Threads (ish). Day Zero minus is set in Brighton, the day Threads is aired on television. The following 8 monologues are different periods after that, after a nuclear strike (which just happens to land the day after Threads airs :v: ) hits the UK. The monologues are from different people giving accounts of how they came to their current point and what their outlook is, a bit like a nuclear winter version of World War Z (The book not the film). Worth checking out.

I just grabbed this, looks great. Thanks.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Our wedding cost about 5 grand, but that was a present from my now middle class parents (who were thorougly working class when i was little before you Weetman me). Oh, and the photography was free from my uncle in law. So most of it went on the venue, which was astonishingly nice and we almost set fire to.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nobody said it'd be a walk in the park, but Threads was always more about the fears of the day tangential to nuclear war, like nuclear winter, radiation, ozone depletion, and kids not speaking proper English than anything else.

A modern day remake would probably involve all the frogs turning gay at some point.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's apparently a pretty strong inverse correlation between the expense of a wedding and the longevity of the marriage.

and from the same source, a control of the obvious

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh good, the BBC have someone from Spiked Online to talk about the children of UK-citizen ISIS fighters, this will be reasonable and good.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh good, the BBC have someone from Spiked Online to talk about the children of UK-citizen ISIS fighters, this will be reasonable and good.

Is it Brendan or one of the other odious prats?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Is it Brendan or one of the other odious prats?

Another one. Apparently it's really complicated so we shouldn't do anything.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah, so they think we should let the free market take care of it? Or is this one of the cases where they suddenly go hard against that because reasons?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1163033083328815104?s=20

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
That used-car-salesman looking prick Rawnsley sounds shook:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/18/mr-corbyn-wants-a-general-election-but-is-his-party-ready-to-fight-one

'no but you see labour can't win the GE they've managed to put on the table because corbyn bad'

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

StarkingBarfish posted:

That used-car-salesman looking prick Rawnsley sounds shook:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/18/mr-corbyn-wants-a-general-election-but-is-his-party-ready-to-fight-one

'no but you see labour can't win the GE they've managed to put on the table because corbyn bad'

He is such a loving weasel:

quote:

Labour will be outgunned financially. Tory donors who went on strike during Theresa May’s tenure are opening their chequebooks for Boris Johnson. The Conservatives won’t have a problem spending up to the £20m limit on election campaigns; Labour sources believe they won’t get close to that figure. High-value donations have dried up under Jeremy Corbyn. That is not surprising – his remaining devotees would probably say that it is a virtue – since Labour’s policies are not friendly to wealthy individuals. The lack of high-value donors was compensated for by the surge in the party’s membership during the “Oh, Jeremy Corbyn” period. The party started working on the basis that this would endure and set budgets on the assumption that it would have a minimum of 500,000 members.

As adulation of Mr Corbyn has deflated, so has the membership. Party insiders report that the number has fallen below the half-million mark, unravelling those budget assumptions.

Oh no! What will Labour do without high-value donations?!?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
"The man that says 'For the many, not the few' is not in fact supported by a few rich fucks, this is bad for Jeremy Corbyn" is a hell of a take

When I think Corbyn has had to go through this more or less his entire life... the man is made of adamantium jeez

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 18, 2019

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Junior G-man posted:

It's telling that he completely neglects to mention momentum. The lack of a coherent, organised and savvy grassroots on the side of the tories is gonna hurt, especially since momentum have basically been campaigning towards a GE for years now.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Ms Adequate posted:

Realtalk the idea of telling the people of Belfast that they've got to let Harland and Wolff shut down is the wildest and most dangerous thing ever done. I'm shocked it hasn't produced an alliance between the 'ra and UVF to use whatever means necessary to save it. If Dublin put something out in the morning saying "We'd nationalize it and run it indefinitely" the island would be reunited before you could finish your Ulster fry for breakfast.

I am genuinely surprised that the DUP has been so openly callous about it. The ship yard is such a massive part of what the city is. The big yella cranes have always been the first thing I think of when I think of Belfast. I have hoped it countless times before but I really hope this might be a turning point wrt the DUP's polling invincibility.

Chuka Umana posted:

I think Boris is hoping that no one in NI will actually do anything in reaction to a hard border.

That or Boris will suspend Stormont and let the RUC (I know they’re not called that but they’re basically the same thing) sort it all out.

They really loving aren't. This really isn't an okay thing to say :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

They released membership numbers just the start of this month, and they were still over 500k.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/08/labour-membership-falls-slightly-but-remains-about-500000