Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Proper backlog on the left, needs-detailing backlog on the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Droyer posted:

I got a couple packages today, and one of them was like half a model kit so

https://imgur.com/a/Js4or6V

So... time to start collecting Nu-Diaclone?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
A buddy just sent me this gift from an anime con he was at and I'm real curious how radically different going back this far in time to do a kit will be like.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

grassy gnoll posted:

Never got a Rex, never got an email from Shoestring, and they won't return my money.

I requested my money back from Amazon a couple weeks ago and got it in like 24 hours.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Phy posted:

Quick question: If I'm not gonna be painting or even doing a topcoat, what's my best option for panel lines, and if that's some variety of marker, how do I stop them from gumming up/drying out like they used to when I was doing gunpla a decade ago?

The last few kits I did back then (and halfway through the RG Tallgeese now) I've sharpened up a technical pencil as fine as I could, but on the Tallgeese the lines are cut fine enough that I can't get the pencil down to the bottom of the groove so I end up with a weird-looking double line.

Fine paintbrush to do capillary action with an ultra thin wash. It's just fun to do and watch the magic happen! Then you clean up with cotton buds + whatever thinner you need. I usually do super thin games workshop paints for unpainted stuff. Doesn't harm the plastic and cleans up with surgical spirit after a couple of days to dry.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I tried of these pens on a whim, and they are pretty great for unpainted kits.

Water or alcohol based and are super easy to clean up. You would only want to use this if you were applying a top coat when finished as it super easy to rub off. But it's an option.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Still sad about my Sazabi working with a hackjob inner frame designed for a kit half its size.

Sinanju, surely?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
As promised...

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Backlog. Not pictured the MG Psycho Zaku and a handful of halfway done kits.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Not too unmanageable. Using the haro to practice panel scribing on a round surface; then moving onto the Ball.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Posted a list earlier upthread, but took a pic too:

Mostly so I can laugh at how huge the A-Packs is.

Edit: Realized I never posted this guy finished - cute little Gurren Lagann Moderoid. Was pretty fun (albeit very basic) and is adorable. If you buy the Simon Nendoroidhe can sit on the top too! :3:

Amp fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 16, 2019

Veotax
May 16, 2006

My backlog tucked away in the cupboard, there is a Metal Gear Rex on the bottom layer that you can't see in the picture. Thinking of doing the Gundam MK-II next once I finally finish off the Dynames that I've been procrastinating on for the last two weeks.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I was looking for a video about how micro set and micro sol works and I found this guy who pronounces "decal" really funny.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axgf8NNRh7M

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Deckle is standard British English pronunciation afaik. Let us all call them waterslides or waterslide transfers to heal this rift between nations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

Sinanju, surely?

Sinanju, yes. Got my big reds crossed.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

So I started this hobby with an Airfix P-40 and I ordered a Barbatos FM 1/100, wife said to herself "Wow he found a hobby thats kinda artsy that he likes that isn't video gaming. I'm going to enable this."

As symmetrique can testify here, my wife orders me poo poo non stop much to me begging her to stop. I have a backlog from hell.

RG Sinanju
RG Sazabi
RG GP-01Fb
RG Destiny

HG Z'Gok
HG Karl Gustav
HG Origin RX-78
HG Barbatos Lupus
HG Kimaris Trooper
HG Narrative C-Packs
HG Narrative A-Packs
HG K'Shatriya

FM 1/100 Gusion
FM 1/100 Barbatos Lupus Rex
P-Bandai 1/100 Jesta Shezarr B/C
P-Bandai Victory Assault Buster With MG Ver Ka Victory 2
MG Ball ver ka
MG Jegan
MG Turn A
MG Zaku II
MG Alex 2.0
MG Rezell Type C Defensor
MG 00 Qan[T]
MG Dynames
MG Age Magnum

Then I've got a few Tamiya planes and yeah...I've bought less than a 1/4 of these, she got the rest. I've begged her to stop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dead Like Rev posted:

So I started this hobby with an Airfix P-40 and I ordered a Barbatos FM 1/100, wife said to herself "Wow he found a hobby thats kinda artsy that he likes that isn't video gaming. I'm going to enable this."

As symmetrique can testify here, my wife orders me poo poo non stop much to me begging her to stop. I have a backlog from hell.

RG Sinanju
RG Sazabi
RG GP-01Fb
RG Destiny

HG Z'Gok
HG Karl Gustav
HG Origin RX-78
HG Barbatos Lupus
HG Kimaris Trooper
HG Narrative C-Packs
HG Narrative A-Packs
HG K'Shatriya

FM 1/100 Gusion
FM 1/100 Barbatos Lupus Rex
P-Bandai 1/100 Jesta Shezarr B/C
P-Bandai Victory Assault Buster With MG Ver Ka Victory 2
MG Ball ver ka
MG Jegan
MG Turn A
MG Zaku II
MG Alex 2.0
MG Rezell Type C Defensor
MG 00 Qan[T]
MG Dynames
MG Age Magnum

Then I've got a few Tamiya planes and yeah...I've bought less than a 1/4 of these, she got the rest. I've begged her to stop.

Your wife's planning to entomb you in model kit boxes. Your only real option is to get her into the hobby too.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your wife's planning to entomb you in model kit boxes. Your only real option is to get her into the hobby too.

My 7 year old got into it, she's got a Momo Kapool kit? Some Kapool that looked like a penguin from one of those build fighter shows (I think)

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Remember to like, comment, and subscribe to DeadLikeRev for a %10 off gunpla code when he ends up opening a hobby shop in a year.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dead Like Rev posted:

My 7 year old got into it, she's got a Momo Kapool kit? Some Kapool that looked like a penguin from one of those build fighter shows (I think)

The Momokapool is from Build Divers and is indeed a good kit. Unlike Build Divers itself, which is not a good show.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Dead Like Rev posted:

This is what we like to call, 'A Keeper'.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Is there a difference between Mr Topcoat and Mr Super Clear?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Topcoat is water based acrylic, Super Clear is solvent based.

http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/itemDetail.php?iId=269

http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/itemDetail.php?iId=1827

http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/itemDetail.php?iId=266

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Cool thanks.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Trying out some gold panel lining. Thoughts?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I'm getting back on the build/paint train after a long break. Current project is the Wing ZeRouge. Half because I love the Strike Rouge color scheme, half because I love that name. Pics when I finish.

Moai Ou posted:

My P-Bandai Shenlong & Tallgeese showed up today and while putting them away, I made a terrifying realization: I've become one of those backlog guys. I only ever used to have one of two unbuilt kits until I learned about this limited-time stuff (that Barnes & Noble sale didn't help either).

Post your backlogs so I don't feel as bad/feel even worse about my pile of plastic crack.

I'm not going to photograph, because it's not even close to organized. But my backlog is easily over a grand MSRP. Probably even without the PG Millennium Falcon included.

And I bought an Eva-00 today when I went to pick up some more black primer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Luminaflare posted:

Trying out some gold panel lining. Thoughts?

With a gloss coat that could be very pretty.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
This might be better served for the general modeling thread but how humid is too humid to prime? I've got laquer rattlecans and want to keep working on my current build but it's been raining a lot and the humidity is sitting around 60%. It doesn't feel too gross outside but I'd hate to make a mistake and prime my parts in bad conditions

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Zodack posted:

This might be better served for the general modeling thread but how humid is too humid to prime? I've got laquer rattlecans and want to keep working on my current build but it's been raining a lot and the humidity is sitting around 60%. It doesn't feel too gross outside but I'd hate to make a mistake and prime my parts in bad conditions

60 is fine for me, but I usually work with acrylics. You could always test on a spare part or spru.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Listen, its the modern equivalent to the Terracotta Army and it's fine.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

EthanSteele posted:

Listen, its the modern equivalent to the Terracotta Army and it's fine.

Or a jade burial suit.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

RillAkBea posted:

Hey at the time screws were a godsend. Heck I can think of a few modern kits that could be improved with a screw or two.

As long as you're not gorilla'ing them with a full size driver, you can't beat a good mechanical fastener.

The kit turned out to be pretty awesome and the screws were actually a highlight and I kind of wish they were in modern kits

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

RillAkBea posted:

Hey at the time screws were a godsend. Heck I can think of a few modern kits that could be improved with a screw or two.

As long as you're not gorilla'ing them with a full size driver, you can't beat a good mechanical fastener.

My only backlog is a half built PG Wing Gundam. That thing has way to many god drat screws.

I don't mind screws into a nut, but screws into plastic are extremely awkward and unsatisfying.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

If anyone is interested I have made us a discord server to talk about Gunpla and gundam as well as other model making https://discord.gg/5SK84T4

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tythas posted:

If anyone is interested I have made us a discord server to talk about Gunpla and gundam as well as other model making https://discord.gg/5SK84T4

You uh, you didn't make any channels, there's nothing to do in the server

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Droyer posted:

Well yeah, you have to put it together yourself.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Droyer posted:

Shoot did auth break?

let me try again https://discord.gg/TzbPAEB

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
any other old mgs with screws in them that would be fun to try out? the oldest one i've built was the turn a, which due to its design was a unique build for any era

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Tythas posted:

Shoot did auth break?

let me try again https://discord.gg/TzbPAEB

Link put into the OP. Thanks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

any other old mgs with screws in them that would be fun to try out? the oldest one i've built was the turn a, which due to its design was a unique build for any era

I got into gunpla when the G Gundam MGs were just coming out, I remember enjoying the build on the creamsicle Zetaplus, the Dom, and Acguy (no screws on the latter two, though the Dom is still old as balls)