Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

IronicDongz posted:

there's no fuckin way the demon prince oneshot you with a swipe with 42 vit

He did. He swipes, grabs you and kills you right away. Maybe I was missing the tiniest bit of HP but I saw my entire longass HP bar (with hp ring and ring of favor +3) disappear right away.

I wouldve like the game not to be the same old poo poo with more hp, more damage, more spam, more unfair enemy positioning. BB and Sekiro gave me that, DS3 on the other hand does nothing interesting other than to be as cheap as humanly possible all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

are you in NG+?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Amppelix posted:

I also like to personally insult people who don't like videogames i like and/or have a different experience from me

I, also

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

After a lot of hours in DS3, I think the enemy attacks aren’t as obnoxious to me as when I first played. The first time through, the combat was significantly worse than ds1 and 2 and it felt like mashing r1 and roll with strict timing was what the game demanded. With more time in it, I know enemy attacks better and can use positioning more and it’s clearer when enemies are finished with spinning around seemingly endlessly, but it took a lot of time.

Also I played DS 2 for something like 400 hours and never noticed or was bothered by movement dead zones.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

feelix posted:

Seriously, there's no reason for a boss to have long combos. It's disrespectful of my time as a player because it's introducing longer periods of time where I am incapable of making meaningful decisions, for what? To play some sweet animations and particle effects?
the reason is to make you dodge more attacks. you can dislike that and that's fine, but saying there's no reason for a boss to attack more times as opposed to less doesn't really make sense. dodging is a test of your timing+ability to read enemy tells, making you do that more is to make you work harder for the damage you get. that's all.

e: as an aside 'cause I've spent a lot of time complaining about something in ds2, I do wanna say that I like the game quite a lot. been playing through with dual mytha's bent blade lately, and aside from having proper dual wielding I really like how the game is not afraid to make poison weapons good.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 14, 2019

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Finished Ringed City. It does get better in the second part and I think Gael might be the most interesting boss in the souls series or certainly among the best. I found it harder than NK but it's such a fun fight that I after I beat him I immediately helped other ppl as a sunbro because I wanted another go. Great art design, fantastic moveset, no dumb gimmick phases. Love the way he's animated too.

Midir... has camera issues like every other big boss but it's a fun fight. Heard a lot about him even before I got DS3, was it supposed to be frustrating? I found it very easy with the Havel Shield and some good fire resistance armor. It felt like a much bigger Gundyr or something.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Doing my yearly run through of DS3 and realized I never purchased any of the DLC.

Is there a cheap way to get both DLC's for Steam?

Doing a Vordt Hammer build and it's hilarious how it just flattens everything.

EDIT: Found a Season Pass for $15CDN on Instant Gaming. Redeemed instantly.

m.hache fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 16, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm on my first playthrough, currently making my way through Lothric Castle, and I had a question regarding heavy weapons. I'm usually a big Strength player in this series. I loved pancaking enemies in DS1 and while the ultraweapons felt a bit too floaty in DS2 for my taste, dual-wielding giant clubs was still a good time. So naturally I gravitated towards the same weapons in DS3 and have been using the Astora Greatsword for quite a while now. It works fine throughout the levels, but the bosses after the Catacombs have all given me a fair bit of trouble. It feels very hard to fight them with a slow weapon because they leave such a small window of opportunity between their attack combos. Even a single attack can lead to them getting a hit in. Pontiff in particular cost me a lot of deaths. I finally caved in and switched to a straight sword for that fight, at which point I won first try.

Long story short, what am I doing wrong? Or rather, how do you properly use heavy weapons against some of the faster bosses in this game?

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 17, 2019

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm on my first playthrough, currently making my way through Lothric Castle, and I had a question regarding heavy weapons. I'm usually a big Strength player in this series. I loved pancaking enemies in DS1 and while the ultraweapons felt a bit too floaty in DS2 for my taste, dual-wielding giant clubs was still a good time. So naturally I gravitated towards the same weapons in DS3 and have been using the Astora Greatsword for quite a while now. It works fine throughout the levels, but the bosses after the Catacombs have all given me a fair bit of trouble. It feels very hard to fight them with a slow weapon because they leave such a small window of opportunity between their attack combos. Even a single attack can lead to them getting a hit in. Pontiff in particular cost me a lot of deaths. I finally caved in and switched to a straight sword for that fight, at which point I won first try.

Long story short, what am I doing wrong? Or rather, how do you properly use heavy weapons against some of the faster bosses in this game?

I did a heavy weapons run and the only time I swapped to a light weapon was against the final form of the first dlc's boss. Think I went Vordt Hammer => Black Knight Sword??? in the swamp for the first half. You have fewer opportunities to deal damage against second half bosses so you want to maximize the damage you can dish out in one or two hits. Astora Greatsword has dex leaning mixed scaling so it's not really suitable for a pure strength build.

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 17, 2019

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's mostly about learning the tells more. You have to have better knowledge of boss movesets with the slow weapons vs the harder bosses, but it's strong once you can do it. Some of the later ones it's definitely worthwhile because they let you get bloodborne-esque ripostes when the bosses stagger, which happens faster/more often with heavy weapons that do more poise damage.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

I feel like you can use heavy weapons as much as in the other souls once you've learned all the tells super well. Some enemies might be kind of a slog though, because as you probably noticed already DS3 bosses are spammy as hell, faster, and punish you much much harder than in the previous instalments. You will only be able to hit safely once in a blue moon.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I happened to get a blurry look at Siegward, what a nice guy!

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Samuel Clemens posted:

astora GS isn't really a heavy weapon for strength builds. there's a bunch of other weapons you could use instead - my personal favorite is executioner's GS, many people swear by vordt's hammer, yhorm's machete is another cool weapon, there's a bunch of options.

my main strat for heavy weapons was leveraging poise / hyperarmor so that when i attacked a boss they couldn't interrupt my action, and i would likely power through whatever they were going to do. for example, sister friede is a fast lil' ninja, but she has no poise herself, so if you can just tag her with a heavy weapon swing you can usually fit in a whole combo before she flips away.

to get hyperarmor and leverage your poise, you basically have to use either great hammers, great axes, ultra great swords, or certain moves from other weapon sets (regular GS gets hyper armor on a few things). it's probably best to just google which weapon gets hyperarmor on which attacks and plan around that.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Trying to avoid spoilers, but does beating the final boss of the regular game kick you straight into NG+, or will I be able to play the DLCs after on the same round? I’m assuming the DLC is all end-level like the prior games, right?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

1redflag posted:

Trying to avoid spoilers, but does beating the final boss of the regular game kick you straight into NG+, or will I be able to play the DLCs after on the same round? I’m assuming the DLC is all end-level like the prior games, right?

You don't go into ng+ instantly so go ahead

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

1redflag posted:

Correct, DLCs are all end-level and hard as nails. Do not be afraid to level up to 125 if you're having trouble because even at 40 Vigor a lot of the DLC bosses can bi-shot you with some moves.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I went vordt's -> black Knight sword as well, and loooove the moveset since 1h bks r1 is like a faster vordt's sweep, and it's a great sword with pers, aaaaand it's like the fastest/lowest stamina greatsword (despite being named as a sword)

Highly recommend the black knight sword tho I did switch to quality for it over pure str

E: bks also has the natural 20% bonus vs demons

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Thanks for the advice regarding heavy weapons. I guess I'm just not used to the boss patterns yet. In DS1 and 2, I found it relatively easy to tell when a combo ended and the boss gave you time to counter, but in this game bosses seem able to chain together combos much more unpredictably.

In somewhat related news, I started going through the Painted World and man, those lightning-fast crow enemies are jerks.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

in this game bosses seem able to chain together combos much more unpredictably.

I don't think it's that per se, I died to boss' combos in other souls too, it's that in DS3 most bosses also have infinite stamina, infinite poise, and never stop spamming 360 swings. Well the human bosses at least.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
bosses don't even have stamina in dark souls 1. (well, technically they have a stamina value, but they don't actually use it for their attacks or anything else, so it's meaningless.) this applies to almost all enemies too. only the player and humanoid NPCs(invaders, merchants etc) have ever been constrained by stamina in dark souls.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Kawabata posted:

I don't think it's that per se, I died to boss' combos in other souls too, it's that in DS3 most bosses also have infinite stamina, infinite poise, and never stop spamming 360 swings. Well the human bosses at least.

Bosses do have recognizable ends to their combos, but they’re much less clear than previous games and there are a lot of intentional “gotchas” that bosses will pull out when their health is reduced past a certain point. They were clearly trying to increase the difficulty and pace compared to previous games and I don’t think it always works in a way that’s enjoyable. Take any weapon but straight swords, curved swords or great swords (and even those sucked on release) feeling awkward your first time through as an example. But after playing the game a lot and being more familiar with the enemies, I like it a lot more than I did the first couple times.

They just absolutely nailed what the combat was going for with the final boss of the ringed city, though. It’s fast and frenetic like typical DS 3 late game fights, but somehow measured and deliberate like combat in previous games as well. Easily on par with fights like Artorias or Fume Knight. If only it hadn’t taken them until the last boss of the last DLC to really get it!

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Kawabata posted:

Man I'm reaching the end of Ashes of Ariandel and it's a huge pile of poo poo, thread was right.

Highlights so far: getting 8 comboed in the back by some freddy krueger beetle thing that was lying in ambush, dying during a weird platforming vine section with archers knocking you off, beating R1 spamming dude and his wolf (that was a boss???), getting hosed up by vikings with infinite poise and infinite stamina spamming 360 swings forever.

This is even funnier when you consider that I bought the season pass because I was unsatisfied with the base game, thinking hey, maybe there's some cool new cont-

*gets stunlocked to death by 6 wolves*

I really don't get the hate for Ashes - though I do agree with the 'it's really hard' assessment. Is that the reason nobody likes it?
I actually loved pretty much all its set pieces, moreso than Ringed City. The snowy forest while being hunted by wolves is great - it's a different sort of combat but not all that hard once you get a little bit used to it, fighting on the move and avoiding being surrounded. The vikings are suitably terrifying, which is actually a good thing - each battle with them is like a mini boss. There are lots of areas that make you genuinely sweat for a victory but all of it is doable. And its environmental storytelling is extremely tight and well done. Personally I love it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I dislike Ashes because it's just snow snow snow snow snow snow snow that one village with the bird mutants snow snow snow snow fight Sister Friede.

Despite that the Crow Quills are an awesome weapon if you're playing a DEX build, and it's worth suicide running for as soon as you can access the DLC.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I thought Ashes was disappointingly piss-easy, actually. The wolves and bird-people are basically non-entities and they make up a significant chunk of the DLC.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Soul Reaver posted:

I really don't get the hate for Ashes - though I do agree with the 'it's really hard' assessment. Is that the reason nobody likes it?
I actually loved pretty much all its set pieces, moreso than Ringed City. The snowy forest while being hunted by wolves is great - it's a different sort of combat but not all that hard once you get a little bit used to it, fighting on the move and avoiding being surrounded. The vikings are suitably terrifying, which is actually a good thing - each battle with them is like a mini boss. There are lots of areas that make you genuinely sweat for a victory but all of it is doable. And its environmental storytelling is extremely tight and well done. Personally I love it.
I really, really hate "every enemy is a miniboss"-style design, for me it grinds the flow of exploration to a complete stop, and I'm usually just not consistent enough to kill like three minibosses in a row, so if I bite it on the third, I'm super annoyed. And then just run past the first two because I already proved I can do them. Which is really boring, then. It's great that it works for you, but I pretty much have the exact opposite reaction to what you describe as positive.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I thought Ashes was disappointingly piss-easy, actually. The wolves and bird-people are basically non-entities and they make up a significant chunk of the DLC.
It's weirdly binary, most of the chaff enemies in Ashes are ludicrously simple, but then you have the Milwood Knights and the crow knights and those have a billion more HP, hit way harder, have crazy combos with barely any openings...it's like the DLC can't decide if it wants to be tackled asap (a +6 weapon is perfectly fine for the Followers, the wolves, the trees, the flies...) or after you've completed the main game (crow and Milwood knights, Vilhelm un-cheesed, Friede of course). And it's obvious why it can't decide: you can go in early, but like with all Souls DLCs, they assumed most people would go in on NG+ or with an endgame character, so they can't make it too easy.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

I happened to get a blurry look at Siegward, what a nice guy!

a good dude to have a brew with. and a rest. after all that bother.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Simply Simon posted:

I really, really hate "every enemy is a miniboss"-style design, for me it grinds the flow of exploration to a complete stop, and I'm usually just not consistent enough to kill like three minibosses in a row, so if I bite it on the third, I'm super annoyed. And then just run past the first two because I already proved I can do them. Which is really boring, then. It's great that it works for you, but I pretty much have the exact opposite reaction to what you describe as positive.

yeah the only time i can abide mini-boss level difficulty is if the enemy actually stays dead once you beat it. the crow knights especially are decently tough motherfuckers, and the fact that they keep coming back when you die is just infuriating.

also the main reason i didn't care for ashes is the fly monsters in the gore room at the end of the loop back to friede's chapel. i know it's a short area and it's mostly optional but that whole area is so disgusting i actually have a physical aversion to being there. makes me not want to complete the DLC on subsequent characters because i dread having to run through there.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Simply Simon posted:

And then just run past the first two because I already proved I can do them. Which is really boring, then. It's great that it works for you, but I pretty much have the exact opposite reaction to what you describe as positive.
I didn't really have this problem in DS2 but I'm starting to, in DS3, feel like I'm hitting areas where the enemies aren't so much hard because the game wants killing them to be a challenge so much as hard because From wanted to make it difficult to run through areas. I gave up on the optional area after the Smoldering Lake, the demon tunnels after you kill the Old Demon King, because I started entering rooms where it felt like the intended tactic was to just sprint through. There's several places (including right as you enter that area) where there's three or four fast-running Ghru waiting behind corners in positions where you can't even kite one of them away effectively without a toxic mist one creating a massive cloud if you're trying to play safe. I even watched a walkthrough, thinking I was doing it wrong, and the dude (who generally kills everything as he shows you where to go) started just running past enemies, saying "no need to stay around and fight."

So I gave up on that area, got to a big bridge with a Bloodborne-esque monster dog, killed that, and got to a new zone where there's ghost dudes wandering around and every echo I see of other players is them tryna just sprint through. I'm kiting these dancey swordboys and drumming them to death fairly easily one on one, but it still kinda feels, based on the range they have with attacks and how slowly they walk, that I'm supposed to be running through here.

I'm not gunna run through if I can kill everything, but... I dunno, it just feels kinda bad to play as a constant sprinting coward when I've got two drumsticks, a spear on my back that heals me every time something dies, and rings that heal me for successive hits and deaths of enemies. I didn't work to get my murder-maracas only to hide from murder!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah, Irithyll is really not kind to players who insist on killing everything all the time, and did break me out of my own habit there. It's absolutely possible to clear the streets, and do so somewhat risk-free if you're patient, draw them out individually or kite well, learn their moves and so on, but it takes foreeeever (see: patience), and then you do run into a group that surprises you, or you slip up, and you're back aaaaall the way to square one and have to decide: do I really want to do all that again, or just...not?

Fortunately, it's not atrociously designed (just a little disappointing imho), and there's some obviously intentional spots where after you reach a certain point, you can hang out and let a patrol just pass you by, and they won't ever return (so...it's not a patrol, haha). And then later there's a huuuge courtyard with a bazillion enemies, but I've never killed them all because you can just duck off to the side, get the Bonfire and later return to the courtyard from behind...after the inhabitants have largely left to parade down the street and never return. It's super weird.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Freaking Crumbum posted:

yeah the only time i can abide mini-boss level difficulty is if the enemy actually stays dead once you beat it. the crow knights especially are decently tough motherfuckers, and the fact that they keep coming back when you die is just infuriating.
They're only in a couple places though and the only one you actually need to go past more than once to get everything is the one near the gate, and there's still a shortcut over him+he's distracted beating up the normal birds so once the gate is open you can leave him alone and move past him easily

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

They're only in a couple places though and the only one you actually need to go past more than once to get everything is the one near the gate, and there's still a shortcut over him+he's distracted beating up the normal birds so once the gate is open you can leave him alone and move past him easily
The entire conversation started with "feels bad to always run past the enemies instead of fighting them", so uh

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I know they're annoying, I'm mostly offering advice since often I think a lot of people don't get the door to the ladder to the rooftops to go over

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm more annoyed with the random invisible enemies they throw at you.

You're supposed to see the eyes of the guys in Irithyl but for some reason some of them wouldn't show up and then suddenly I'm being backstabbed.

Also those 2 Jailers in the Profaned Chapel area are just stupid. Only time you run into them being completely invisible.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
One crow knight at a time is fun. They’re interesting enemies, big, fast and aggressive, but parryable, staggerable and not especially tanky (despite being way bigger and scarier than them, they only have about as much HP as a Lothric or Ringed knight). They are also susceptible to Rapport, one more reason why it is the baddest rear end spell.

One crow knight plus literally anything else is a pain because crow knights are quite good at breaking lock on, and if you try to lock back on and instead lock on to a mutant poo poo bird crawling around your ankles, they will probably kill you before you sort it out.

Two crow knights at a time is rubbish even as a one-off, and they shouldn’t have done it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

Fortunately, it's not atrociously designed (just a little disappointing imho), and there's some obviously intentional spots where after you reach a certain point, you can hang out and let a patrol just pass you by, and they won't ever return (so...it's not a patrol, haha).

I do like how heavily DS3 leans on patrols for some of its nastiest enemies. It's the one game in the series that encourages you to not just murder everything standing in your way.

I mean, I still do that, but I didn't have to.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Never understood irithyll’s reputation for being really difficult or unfun, at least before the church of yorshka. not a tryhard gitgudder or anything here but the irithyll knights never gave me much trouble compared to the other enemies in the game up to that point.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

After finishing my first run and both the DLCs I can't say DS3 isn't solid. It made me salty way more often than any other soulsborne game before but it's still an amazing game.

The thing is, my first impression of DS3 was that it was DS dialed to 11 and yeeeeeaah it's pretty much that. There isn't a single improvement that makes it stand out, nothing is done much different from before, only the game is hard as nails, often venturing into unfair bullshit territory especially near the end and in DLCs.

That said, most bosses and areas are well conceived and "more of the same" is not an insult in the Souls series, so if you can get past the "lol get hosed bro this boss has a third phase, bet you didnt expect it" moments it's still a great instalment that doesn't water down the experience too much. I mean I'm criticizing DS3 left and right but I'm still aiming for the Plat because I can't stop playing it so it must do something right.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Digirat posted:

Never understood irithyll’s reputation for being really difficult or unfun, at least before the church of yorshka. not a tryhard gitgudder or anything here but the irithyll knights never gave me much trouble compared to the other enemies in the game up to that point.

they spam infinite stunlocking long range high damage moves forever but yeah they're like most enemies in the game I agree

it's not like black knights or silver knights or lothric knights aren't as obnoxious

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Irithyll knights have one move that they string into a forever combo and a second move that has a long recovery time. If you're unlucky they can keep spamming the first move and not give you any openings unless you're brave enough to parry. That also basically describes Pontiff himself so I guess it's intended to be educational.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kawabata posted:

they spam infinite stunlocking long range high damage moves forever but yeah they're like most enemies in the game I agree

it's not like black knights or silver knights or lothric knights aren't as obnoxious

Do you mean the big guys with the fire attacks? Because the basic pontiff knights do like one ranged attack sometimes that has a huge windup and is super easy to dodge.