Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Klansman 8 0.91%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 578 65.76%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 185 21.05%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 4 0.46%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 0 0%
Julian Castro, the Twin 3 0.34%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 3 0.34%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 9 1.02%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 2 0.23%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 4 0.46%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 19 2.16%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 19 2.16%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 8 0.91%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.11%
Just like in real life, nobody voted for Hickenlooper 2 0.23%
Jeffrey Epstein, the MCC Most Hated 9 1.02%
KKKillary KKKlinton 16 1.82%
Some other idiot not in this list 9 1.02%
Total: 879 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Stonelegs posted:

Because if I give that poor person the first million tax-free, he's a millionaire, and now anything over and above that is getting taxed.
Those people are already not getting taxed. Estates of 1 million dollars do not get an estate tax. This is not the scenario anyone is talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stonelegs
Apr 15, 2003

I'll have a coke...

twodot posted:

Those people are already not getting taxed. Estates of 1 million dollars do not get an estate tax. This is not the scenario anyone is talking about.

My original example gave the first million of the 2.75 million inheritance to each dependent tax-free. That was what I was referencing.

I feel like we're derailing. I'm gonna stop here. Good game. Time to go get some orange slices.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Stonelegs posted:

My original example gave the first million of the 2.75 million inheritance to each dependent tax-free. That was what I was referencing.

I feel like we're derailing. I'm gonna stop here. Good game. Time to go get some orange slices.
So you're saying your proposal was to not tax the people who are already not being taxed? And then to bonus tax the other people being taxed, but this is somehow better than a general wealth tax?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1162950337650548736

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Joe's addled brain has erased the last 25 years from his memory. It's 1992 and Joe knows that triangulation and Third Way politics is the key to victory.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Then Biden approached him and said: “Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? What if there are fifty righteous people in the party? Will you really sweep it away and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? Far be it from you to do such a thing—to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?”

The Lord said, “If I find fifty righteous people in the Republican Party, I will spare the whole place for their sake.”

Then Biden spoke up again: “Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, though I am nothing but dust and ashes, what if the number of the righteous is five less than fifty? Will you destroy the whole party for lack of five people?”

“If I find forty-five there,” he said, “I will not destroy it.”

Once again he spoke to him, “What if only forty are found there?”

He said, “For the sake of forty, I will not do it.”

Then he said, “May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak. What if only thirty can be found there?”

He answered, “I will not do it if I find thirty there.”

Biden said, “Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, what if only twenty can be found there?”

He said, “For the sake of twenty, I will not destroy it.”

Then he said, “May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?”

He answered, “For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it.”

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Joe's addled brain has erased the last 25 years from his memory. It's 1992 and Joe knows that triangulation and Third Way politics is the key to victory.

You say this like it’s a product of senility and not just who Joe Biden is.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

You say this like it’s a product of senility and not just who Joe Biden is.

True, but he was better at hiding it not so long ago. Amazing how quickly dementia sets in.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Majorian posted:

True, but he was better at hiding it not so long ago. Amazing how quickly dementia sets in.

Was he? Or was it that no one gave a poo poo what Joe Biden thinks and the media was happy to whitewash his legacy and his views through the “oh silly Uncle Joe” persona.

For every Diamond Joe joke the Onion published, there were 10 articles in serious publications that downplayed Biden’s issues as “he’s a gaffe machine.”

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah it's very visibly gotten much worse. Compare Biden in 2014 to now and there's a big difference.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Biden is worse at selling his misspeaking dude whose heart is in the right place shtick than before, but the bigger issue for him is that the party as a whole is now much further left than it was before. The same level of saying dumb poo poo that was endearingly acceptable in 2008/12 is no longer endearing. Nobody wants a hero of bipartisanship, dedicated to finding the hidden good Republican. Even disregarding that in the age of Donny, saying stupid poo poo is far less acceptable in the same way that being a folksy idiot was less acceptable in the age of W.

The contrast between him and the other candidates is also far more glaring than before. For instance, he's never had to run against a guy who has been right about as many things as Biden has been wrong about and for just as long. In '88 and '08 he was in the center leftish portion of the field, but now he's the conservative choice. Which are all things that a good politician could probably spin up into some positives, but Biden has never been a good politician and has always and will always do the exact same thing that worked in 1972 Delaware.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

Was he? Or was it that no one gave a poo poo what Joe Biden thinks and the media was happy to whitewash his legacy and his views through the “oh silly Uncle Joe” persona.

For every Diamond Joe joke the Onion published, there were 10 articles in serious publications that downplayed Biden’s issues as “he’s a gaffe machine.”

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah it's very visibly gotten much worse. Compare Biden in 2014 to now and there's a big difference.

This exactly. While it's true that the media's definitely been happy to whitewash Biden's legacy for quite a long time, there is a noticeable difference between 2012 Joe Biden and 2019 Joe Biden - to the point where even some mainstream media sources are saying, "Holy poo poo, this guy may not be up for this race after all." True, he was always a gaffe machine, but he was able to pass himself off as a "happy warrior" gaffe machine who was only guilty of being too honest, wearing his heart on his sleeve, etc. Now he just comes off as tired. The dude seems like he's at death's door, and when you combine that with his gaffes, it just seems sad and frail. And that's how people who don't know all that much about his legacy are beginning to see him, which is obviously bad news for him.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Biden used to say the quiet part loud but now he just loudly says gibberish.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Even given that this is Biden doing his thing, albeit even less gracefully than usual as his brain is slowly dribbling out his ears, I remain astonished at how long establishment dems have clung to early 90s Clintonian triangulation. It only worked for you guys once and every attempt to make that lightning strike twice has failed miserably.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Even given that this is Biden doing his thing, albeit even less gracefully than usual as his brain is slowly dribbling out his ears, I remain astonished at how long establishment dems have clung to early 90s Clintonian triangulation. It only worked for you guys once and every attempt to make that lightning strike twice has failed miserably.

something that nobody ever brings up about clinton is he never won a majority of the vote.

43 percent and 49 percent. gore only won 48 percent of the vote.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Heck, even Obama told Biden not to run.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/08/17/barack-obama-worried-joe-biden-campaign-legacy-2020-bts-nr-vpx.cnn

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gyges posted:

Then Biden approached him and said: “Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? What if there are fifty righteous people in the party? Will you really sweep it away and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? Far be it from you to do such a thing—to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?”

The Lord said, “There aren't even fifty, bruh.”

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

OK Biden, if there’s a lot of good elected Republicans left.

I want names.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This is excellent

https://twitter.com/berniesanders/status/1163081227169140743?s=21

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

spunkshui posted:

OK Biden, if there’s a lot of good elected Republicans left.

I want names.

A list that contains fifty different ways of writing Mitch McConnell

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Owns

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This doesn't sound right, but Morris has been pretty good in the past, numbers wise. Did he post or link to this analysis somewhere?

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1163074255107612672

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Because it means they can win without having to sacrifice anything or give any concessions to the poor.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how could it be vote switching if turnout was up overall.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

twodot posted:

Ok but why? If a poor person with no income receives inheritance, why do you want to tax them in addition to the estate tax the estate already paid? If you're concerned about already rich people getting money, that is plainly solved by a wealth tax and not an income tax as plenty of wealthy people don't have an actual income.

Who's the poor person getting a sizeable inheritance that doesn't include a home?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Turnout was up for better things aren’t possible says everybody throwing the kitchen sink at Biden’s opponents.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Well, there's two separate issues here.

There's the forgetting what he's talking about and/or just making poo poo up on stage, which have always been bad but are noticeably even worse now.

And there's his dedicated center-right-ness and love of cooperating with Republicans. His position on that is probably about the same as it was 10 or 15 years ago, but the fact that he's still a centrism worshipper despite having had the ultimate front row seat to the entire Obama administration is extremely alarming. Even Obama was starting to give up on persuading Republicans by 2015 or so, but Biden apparently sat through those whole eight years plus two and a half years of Trump without realizing that the right is done with compromise and cooperation.

Like, at some point you have to ask - how the hell did he look over Obama's shoulder the whole time and not learn that the GOP wasn't interested in compromise? Has he just straight-up lost the ability to learn? Or does he think Obama failed because he was black and a white dude like him would do better? Neither take is exactly a good sign for a Biden presidency.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, there's two separate issues here.

There's the forgetting what he's talking about and/or just making poo poo up on stage, which have always been bad but are noticeably even worse now.

And there's his dedicated center-right-ness and love of cooperating with Republicans. His position on that is probably about the same as it was 10 or 15 years ago, but the fact that he's still a centrism worshipper despite having had the ultimate front row seat to the entire Obama administration is extremely alarming. Even Obama was starting to give up on persuading Republicans by 2015 or so, but Biden apparently sat through those whole eight years plus two and a half years of Trump without realizing that the right is done with compromise and cooperation.

Like, at some point you have to ask - how the hell did he look over Obama's shoulder the whole time and not learn that the GOP wasn't interested in compromise? Has he just straight-up lost the ability to learn? Or does he think Obama failed because he was black and a white dude like him would do better? Neither take is exactly a good sign for a Biden presidency.

for the second part no, he knows what he's doing, he is buds with segregationists, his role in negotiations is not to win it's to be the Washington Generals and make it look good as the GOP gets literally everything they want

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

This doesn't sound right, but Morris has been pretty good in the past, numbers wise. Did he post or link to this analysis somewhere?

He linked to something here, though it's not his own writing:
https://mobile.twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1163068248860037121

The main thing that I note is that there's a substantial difference between their datasets and other datasets, and usually the differences can be summarized as "our data skews significantly older, whiter, and less educated than other datasets". For example, exit polls said that half of voters in 2016 lacked a college degree, while this dataset claims that two-thirds of 2016 voters lacked a college degree. With big gaps like that between the datasets, it's no surprise that different studies are coming to different conclusions - the underlying data is substantially different.

The way Morris is presenting it, though, is misleading. He brags that his data is individual and therefore superior to her aggregate data, but the methodology page for his dataset explicitly states that their data isn't accurate at the individual level, because they're doing some obviously sketchy poo poo like using machine learning to determine voter ethnicity based on their name and address. No, really.

quote:

For other demographics like race and education, self-reported data isn’t available in all geographies across the country. The voter file does have a lot of other information which is helpful for estimating these demographics. Our process starts with large-scale machine learning models to identify the probability that each voter has a certain racial background, for example, based on whether (s)he has a particularly ethnic name, neighborhood, and other characteristics. 

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Who's the poor person getting a sizeable inheritance that doesn't include a home?
Everyone who receives a windfall of a billion dollars is poor compared to that windfall. Taxing it twice as estate and also as income to the people who receive it makes no sense. There isn't a billion dollar a year or even a 5 million a year income tax bracket, so you might as well just increase the estate tax to whatever you want the estate tax to be, rather than going through the procedure of making people fill out yet another form for the IRS to process. If what you're actually concerned about is wealthy people continuing to be wealthy, then you need to solve that with a wealth tax.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Main Paineframe posted:

The way Morris is presenting it, though, is misleading. He brags that his data is individual and therefore superior to her aggregate data, but the methodology page for his dataset explicitly states that their data isn't accurate at the individual level, because they're doing some obviously sketchy poo poo like using machine learning to determine voter ethnicity based on their name and address. No, really.

Definitely want to see how that computer would ID Beto from El Paso.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ah yes the issue for dems in 2012 and 2016 was not appealing to "moderate" voters lmao.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1163074255107612672

The analysis that this guy is referring to is here:

https://medium.com/@yghitza_48326/revisiting-what-happened-in-the-2018-election-c532feb51c0

I think it is largely correct, but his centrist brain takes the wrong lesson from it. They show, and I have no reason to doubt, that 89% of overall margin in 2018 was people changing their votes, and only 11% to turnout.
So they try to push the narrative that it was "voters in the middle:"

quote:

Looking at changing vote choice by modeled partisanship, we see the biggest gains from people modeled to be in “the middle.”

So this guy is trying to pass off the idea that the goal for 18 should then be to appeal to that "middle" that he is clearly thinking of as a third way style politics.

But if you look at the graph of where the biggest swings due to vote change happened, they include quite a few that had justice democrats endorsed candidates.

I.e., they show that a bunch of swing voters helped swing the house to democrats, and then make the assumption that what drives swing-voters is third way style centrist politics.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

swing voters have incoherent politics so it's malpractice to actively try to appeal to them.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I feel like 2020 is just going to be a total "gently caress Trump" vote, so why not just go full-on leftist with your candidates anyhow because low-info people will just vote straight-D.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

swing voters have incoherent politics so it's malpractice to actively try to appeal to them.

It's also a great example of centrism cannot fail it can only be failed. Hillary lost because of those Bernie Bros switching to Trump, so it's their fault, but Trump Democrat swing voters means it's centrism that won.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I'm so loving done with the Democratic Party. I just met GA representative Brenda Lopez Romero at my front door running for congress. I asked if she would support M4A and GND only to be "educated" that we can't have good things. But she will support strengthening the ACA and leasing farm land for solar. I'm done with these clowns.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

gohmak posted:

I'm so loving done with the Democratic Party. I just met GA representative Brenda Lopez Romero at my front door running for congress. I asked if she would support M4A and GND only to be "educated" that we can't have good things. But she will support strengthening the ACA and leasing farm land for solar. I'm done with these clowns.

hello fellow GA-7 goon. thank you for telling me at least one person to *not* vote for in the primary.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

gohmak posted:

i just looked at ballotpedia and it seems like there's half a dozen other democrats in this race?

like carolyn bourdeaux used to work for ron wyden and seems moderately progressive, and nabilah islam is explicitly running on m4a/fight for 15/green new deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

eke out posted:

i just looked at ballotpedia and it seems like there's half a dozen other democrats in this race?

like carolyn bourdeaux used to work for ron wyden and seems moderately progressive, and nabilah islam is explicitly running on m4a/fight for 15/green new deal?

Thank you. I’ll look into them.