Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

For_Great_Justice posted:

As for the randos like construction workers or cops with a growlithe would they actually bother fighting someone with 5 badges when they have a job to do? That makes less sense to me.

All people in the pokemon world are sadists who enjoy seeing their pets getting beat up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I do agree with your points to an extent.

Not every trainer follows but as you progress, get badges, travel around, it stands to reason your character will gain a reputation of your skill. In this instance you might get the Joey trying to pit his Rattata to your fully evolved charizard but most folks are going to think twice or get easily swept.

As for the randos like construction workers or cops with a growlithe would they actually bother fighting someone with 5 badges when they have a job to do? That makes less sense to me.

You're trying to argue for verisimilitude in a pokemon game. That makes the least sense.

Pokemon is basically a JRPG with all of the weird stuff that comes with it.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Xelkelvos posted:

You're trying to argue for verisimilitude in a pokemon game. That makes the least sense.

Pokemon is basically a JRPG with all of the weird stuff that comes with it.

But they already have that with pokemon living in enviroments that make sense for them? Bats in caves for example.

Even pokemon being different by entire regions they're found in makes real world sense. :psyduck: Yes its a game but "its a game" is a porr argument to make a disagreement on.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Heh Togedemaru rocking out in vgc senior finals was pretty fun.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Heh Togedemaru rocking out in vgc senior finals was pretty fun.

Word. The guy was playing out of his mind.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Bah I was out shopping and missed it :smith:. What was the winning team?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Giving NPC Trainers more Pokemon could be great with two caveats. Having a lot less trainers in areas where larger team sizes are common (So no more sea routes with 30 swimmers using Tentacool) and Gzamefreak being willing to allow the AI to switch out pokemon in battle more often. As it is the only times the AI will switch out are people like Cynthia who has a unique champion AI, or when you have out something like Shedinja and the opponents mon literally has no moves that work.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

But they already have that with pokemon living in enviroments that make sense for them? Bats in caves for example.

Even pokemon being different by entire regions they're found in makes real world sense. :psyduck: Yes its a game but "its a game" is a porr argument to make a disagreement on.

Explain the muscly pokemon that also reside in those caves then or the pokemon that fall from space only appearing on a single mountain.

It's a game made for children it's a perfectly legitimate argument to make in regards to adjusting how the main flow of play works.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The closing ceremonies for the Pokemon World Championships is at 4PM. If they intend on doing any surprise reveals it will probably be during that event. I remember them playing the X&Y gym leader theme for the first time one year.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

I do agree with your points to an extent.

Not every trainer follows but as you progress, get badges, travel around, it stands to reason your character will gain a reputation of your skill. In this instance you might get the Joey trying to pit his Rattata to your fully evolved charizard but most folks are going to think twice or get easily swept.

On the other hand it's a video game so who cares if suddenly the little girl in the late game route is packing 5 big dragons.

Gen 5 didn't and it owned.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

On the other hand it's a video game so who cares if suddenly the little girl in the late game route is packing 5 big dragons.

Gen 5 had some absolute badass teams on the third of the map dedicated to postgame. Those hombres were more challenging than most games Elite 4 members. Another reason why Gen 5 is the best.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

indigi posted:

maybe you're only allowed to use the same number of Pokemon as the trainer and you pick which three at the start of the battle

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I really like the choose as many mons as the opponent has. Keeps the battles shorter while still really upping the challenge.

This is how the anime has done it since the start, and before I got my first Pokemon game those twenty-odd years ago, that's how I figured it would be.

I honestly wouldn't mind if there was like, an option for this that you could turn on in the menu or something.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I would like to see more trainers with full teams, but right after the first gym? That just sounds like it'll get tedious fast. Definitely later in the game, but not that early.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I never said different kinds of people can't have strong teams. I'd rather have strong teams late game than let them be weak exp pinatas.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Explain the muscly pokemon that also reside in those caves then or the pokemon that fall from space only appearing on a single mountain.

It's a game made for children it's a perfectly legitimate argument to make in regards to adjusting how the main flow of play works.

I can't imagine how FIGHTING pokemon could get muscles from FIGHTING each other in the wild as makes perfect sense. I believe in some instances they show fighting types doing junk like meditating under water falls or breaking rocks in caves.

The pokemon falling from space are a more mystical aspect like legends an myth.

Its a different world than the real world dude but some things like stronger trainers closer to victory road than randomly sitting in the roads hanging arounds sounds more fun to me. Different strokes dude.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Pokemon World Championships will be in London next year.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dehry posted:

The Pokemon World Championships will be in London next year.

Wow, that's pretty optimistic that there will still be a London next year.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Andrast posted:

All people in the pokemon world are sadists who enjoy seeing their pets getting beat up

For most people battles are just play and exercise for their pets.

You just happen to be playing that one rear end in a top hat that will go all-out against a five year old and insists on playing out a chess game to checkmate even after they lost all their pieces.

I figure when the end-game victory road trainers bring three pokemon against you it's because they just concede defeat after that and are saving the rest of their team to keep going/get home rather than straight up blacking out because they lost.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Saoshyant posted:

The finals for VGC Worlds are ongoing if you care to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9AWqAv2SyU

I skipped ahead to see the pokemon fights and holy loving poo poo I’m watching a 2v2 fight where the game is DYING and running in probably single digits frames per second. How is this loving acceptable? Around 5:37:40

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

https://clips.twitch.tv/ShortImpartialLouseSmoocherZ

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

They had to make a lot of cutbacks for the new game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I skipped ahead to see the pokemon fights and holy loving poo poo I’m watching a 2v2 fight where the game is DYING and running in probably single digits frames per second. How is this loving acceptable? Around 5:37:40

Think about all the high polygon count models they had to make that they're not using anymore!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I guess you are new to Game Freak? You should read about how one lone outsider had to fix/optimize the entirety of Pokemon Gold/Silver, because their whole team had no clue how to get that game in a releasable form.

Hell, I've been playing Let's Go Eevee recently, and those games are using their old 3DS engine on a goddamn Switch, yet they still manage to have slow down heavily in certain situations like when it's loading the smoke in Koga's Gym or when you're walking near "heavy" vegetation in one of the towns.

It's shoddy, it's always been shoddy. Imagine if they had made a hype trailer that it was the universe popping out a Steelix into existence, thinking that is acceptable in 2019.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Vandar posted:

This is how the anime has done it since the start, and before I got my first Pokemon game those twenty-odd years ago, that's how I figured it would be.

I honestly wouldn't mind if there was like, an option for this that you could turn on in the menu or something.

Giving players options for challenge is something that GF seems vehemently against for some reason. BW had it, but even that was only after clearing the game (if I'm remembering that right). There may have been some other screwing around you had to do as well. Something involving keys I think?

Limiting you to the number of Pokemon an opponent has would be great. I'd take that option on a new game, no question.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think BW had that but BW2 had a hard mode and it was the most strangely implemented thing imaginable.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

BW’s implementiation of hard mode was dumper than that - you couldn’t unlock it for yourself at all, not even as a new game+ thing as starting a new game wipes the unlock - you needed two games and two dses for it.

And then it made the game easier anyway as you leveled faster.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 19, 2019

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think BW had that but BW2 had a hard mode and it was the most strangely implemented thing imaginable.

Right, that's it. It was that stupid thing where you had to link with someone that had the other version in order to get the key. It's also how you swapped the extra city between versions. You could get Hard mode or Easy mode after beating the champion.

So they tried to put in difficulty options, but they did it in the most obtuse and useless way they could think of.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It was also actually easier than Easy Mode, which was harder because of shittier EXP payouts but the same enemy teams as Normal. It's GSC all over again!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
There's really nobody at Game Freak actually playing the games they make. It's just your crew of Japanese salarymen, punching in and out each day, completely overworked.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They probably play the video games tbh

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I guess they playtest the game to an extent, but not to the degree that the fandom does, which is probably why their idea of game balance is so weird compared to the fandom's idea of game balance. It's probably also the reason why there are baffling design decisions like certain Pokémon being unable to learn certain moves even though they logically should, like Dedenne not being able to learn any special fairy moves.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
A lot of it probably has to do with the insane dev schedule they've committed to with a fairly small staff. They're pumping out Pokemon games yearly and every single one has to have new bespoke features designed, tested, implemented and immediately discarded once the game is out the door while they mostly don't touch core gameplay.

Like think about the surfing minigame, or Pokestar studios, or every variation on contests, or the Underground, Pokeradar, Triple/Rotation battles, the Pokemon petting minigames, Z moves, Mega evolutions etc.

All of those took tons of dev time and QnA and are just immediately discarded for the new shiny thing every gen. I will bet money Dynamaxing and Wild Areas don't last past this gen either. Its such a waste.

Zore fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 19, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh my god I love that instead of moving the titles a little to the right in the box names in pokemon bank when they realised they were too far left, they just added a space at the start of every name.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

They tend to view these features as non-essential one off experiments and some like the Surfing minigame in USUM, probably wouldn't work well in any other setting. Also a few tend to come back as mainstays of the games, like the moving sprites, which were in Crystal, skipped most of Gen 3 before being expanded upon in Emerald and staying from here on out.

That being said, a few do well out their welcome, like the Pokemon Amie minigames to get more poképuffs, they're fun a few times, but they become a chore after a while. Sky battles were an enormous mistake that nobody liked.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
I forget the PokeRadar came back in XY

But I always remember having no idea how to get it to work well.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I think by the 4th town in BW2 your trainer in game is actually carrying a travel case full of gadgets and trinkets. Bianca definitely shows up over and over to deliver some dumb device that will enable you to do x with either NPCs or other trainers.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Zuzie posted:

They tend to view these features as non-essential one off experiments and some like the Surfing minigame in USUM, probably wouldn't work well in any other setting. Also a few tend to come back as mainstays of the games, like the moving sprites, which were in Crystal, skipped most of Gen 3 before being expanded upon in Emerald and staying from here on out.

or Day-and-Night, which they made a big deal out of bringing back in Gen IV

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zuzie posted:

That being said, a few do well out their welcome, like the Pokemon Amie minigames to get more poképuffs, they're fun a few times, but they become a chore after a while. Sky battles were an enormous mistake that nobody liked.

Of course they see them as inessential, but they're all enormous resource and dev time investments. Which is probably why we haven't really gotten anything that's shaken up the core gameplay in a long time.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

How much development time did it take to understand that 1) HMs are idiotic and dumb 2) should be able to be deleted 3) the block-path mechanic can be done without them, look at the let's go games.

My most endearing is still Defog. What a fecal orchestra of design gen IV was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I can't lie, a fleshed-out Underground style minigame would go a long way towards making it feel like you and your team are exploring through a region. Pair it with an HM system replacement that's more like the Ranger games (because it makes no sense the grand majority of cutting moves can't cut trees, the grand majority of smashing moves can't break rocks, that you can't just fly a Pokemon over the water's surface, etc.) and I feel like you could really nail that feeling of traveling across the land, searching far and wide.

Speaking of difficulty, what do you guys think would work for difficulty options in Pokemon games? I know there's switch vs. set, we talked about matching enemy team counts as opposed to being able to outnumber them. And you can probably tweak enemy teams, stats, and AI spreads. What else could be worked with?