Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
For the Sony A7III, I was planning to buy the 70-300mm, use for safari, however I do value sharp/crisp, would it be better to get the 70-200mm G F4 ? I'd be willing to pay a bit more for higher quality though I'm not sure how much distance I lose with having 100mm less.

Would it be possible to "crop" or set the camera somehow to get the missing 100mm if I had to?

Gatts fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Gatts posted:

For the Sony A7III, I was planning to buy the 70-300mm, use for safari, however I do value sharp/crisp, would it be better to get the 70-200mm G F4 ? I'd be willing to pay a bit more for higher quality though I'm not sure how much distance I lose with having 100mm less.

Would it be possible to "crop" or set the camera somehow to get the missing 100mm if I had to?

You can crop after the fact, and why not just rent the lens if its for a single trip?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
My roommate is raising some caterpillars into Monarch butterflies...

... so naturally I bought a macro lens.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

holocaust bloopers posted:

You can crop after the fact, and why not just rent the lens if its for a single trip?

I tried searching again, and finally found a Dodd Camera store that would allow for rental in my area.

Thank you. Saved me $1200.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Are there any quality 50mm lenses cheaper than the canon 1.2Ls but better quality than the 50/1.4? Canon RP, so most SLR mounts will work, I'm good with an adapter if its the right mix of price and quality.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Are there any quality 50mm lenses cheaper than the canon 1.2Ls but better quality than the 50/1.4? Canon RP, so most SLR mounts will work, I'm good with an adapter if its the right mix of price and quality.

Have you read: https://theothersideofbokeh.wordpress.com/2017/08/04/fifty-fifties/
and: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/996387

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I have not, but I will now. Thanks.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Gatts posted:

I tried searching again, and finally found a Dodd Camera store that would allow for rental in my area.

Thank you. Saved me $1200.

Lens Rental and Borrow Lenses also do the same service. Usually have discounts too.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

ilkhan posted:

I have not, but I will now. Thanks.

And sorry it is not a straight up recommendation, but there are millions of 50s out there.

A more concise read: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/10/the-ultimate-50mm-lens-comparison/

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

holocaust bloopers posted:

Lens Rental and Borrow Lenses also do the same service. Usually have discounts too.

I’m gonna do Lens Rental. They have a package for a Sony A99 II and two lenses specifically for wildlife and accessories all for 800 for like 16 days. So this works out well and I can start from there.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Anyone here shooting with the Sigma 40/1.4? Finally broke down and ordered one but it'll be a week or so before I get it. Huge beast but seems to have some magic pixie dust sprinkled over it...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gatts posted:

From my experience, length is everything if you're on safari. Some animals like elephants, giraffes, zebras, and some primates aren't much bothered by the vehicles and will be fairly close to the paths, but most keep their distance. Most of my shots were with a 300mm f/4 and 1.4x teleconverter on a 2x crop factor body. I did also have a 40-150mm f/2.8 for some of the closer animals, maybe a third of my shots were with that.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Anyone here shooting with the Sigma 40/1.4? Finally broke down and ordered one but it'll be a week or so before I get it. Huge beast but seems to have some magic pixie dust sprinkled over it...

No, but I have the 16mm 1.4 for m4/3rd mount. It's by far my favorite lens I have ever had. Spend more money. Buy it. CONSUME.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
After having my starter camera (Nikon D3400) for a little over a year I finally bought myself a new lens. I went with the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, as it seems to be the most liked and most recommended. I've so far only taken a handful of shots, but I'm really liking it so far.

Can't wait to test it out some more.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Zuul the Cat posted:

After having my starter camera (Nikon D3400) for a little over a year I finally bought myself a new lens. I went with the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, as it seems to be the most liked and most recommended. I've so far only taken a handful of shots, but I'm really liking it so far.

Can't wait to test it out some more.

I like that lens so much. It's one of only 2 Nikkor lenses that I didn't sell when I switched to Fuji.

Edit: That's fine looking sandshitter by the way.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I got a Laowa 2.5-5x 25mm f/2.8 Ultra Macro lens. I think it might be a bit overkill, lol. I was just looking for something to close the distance my Nikkor lens couldn't, but this is like... well, it's like an ultra macro. I'm gonna take it out to get some bug pics and figure out how to use my flash with it, but I might end up trading it for a more regular macro lens.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8

3rding the love for the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8. I'm so glad I got it as well as the kit lens, it's easily my most-used glass so far. Being able to shoot in low-light music venues without a flash is clutch.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I really need to get the 35 1.8 kuz I need an inside lense. I have the 50 1.8 and it's tooo clooseeeee

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I really liked the 35mm f1.8 when I had it and it is pretty cheap used/refurbished. Kind of sad it is the only non-macro/fisheye DX prime though.

A flash you can bounce when indoors is a good choice if you have a standard zoom already.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Embarasing question

I bought a speedlight for my Sony A9 (Goxox/Ving V860 II) and i cannot get it to fire with the camera. The test button on the flash works fine so its not defective by the looks of it. I have the camera settings correct to my knowledge; mechanical shutter, flash modes fill flash or full flash.

Anyone got any tips?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
It may be configured in a wirelss trigger/receiver only mode and not actually as a flash or in ETTL (or equivalent) and not needing to fire

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Even sillier question: is it a Sony-compatible model? V860II-S, as opposed to the -C (Canon), -F (Fuji), -N (Nikon) etc.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Even if it isn't it should still fire in manual mode. The centre contact is universal and that closes a circuit in the hotshoe that should fire the flash as long as it's in manual mode. The other contacts are for HSS, TTL and wake-up functions that vary by manufacturer.

Also, double check your sync speed. The flash won't fire if the shutter speed is too fast unless you have an HSS option enabled.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks all

The model is for Sony, V860II-S
The shutter speed is 1/160
Mechanical shutter
e-Front curtain off
It is set to master (green LCD)
As soon as i start to press the shutter button the "set your camera" message appears on the screen on the flash.

Now the flash works though, randomly out of the blue. I didn't change anything. :iiam:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I want to get a lens hood for my (Mother's) zoom lens (that she lent me). It's this 70-300mm VR lens, website says the hood model is HB-36. I can't find that particular model on Vistek's site, are there any others that are compatible, will any Nikon hood the same diameter as the barrel work? Or should I just order from elsewhere?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Henrys and Gosselin (lol Gosselin tax) have them. Plenty of knockoffs and authentic hoods available on ebay from Canadian vendors as well.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So I've currently got a Nikon DSLR . The issue is that it's big and heavy and when I do long distance bike rides I think' I've got 25+ extra pounds on my bike" I'm not going to add more weigh by taking my DSLR.

If I were to get a v1 mirrorless or aw1 or something small are my current lenses going to work with it. I'm think I'd want to drag a mirrorless,35mm prime and 70-300 which should cover.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

tater_salad posted:

So I've currently got a Nikon DSLR . The issue is that it's big and heavy and when I do long distance bike rides I think' I've got 25+ extra pounds on my bike" I'm not going to add more weigh by taking my DSLR.

If I were to get a v1 mirrorless or aw1 or something small are my current lenses going to work with it. I'm think I'd want to drag a mirrorless,35mm prime and 70-300 which should cover.
If you have 25+ pounds of camera stuff how much of that is camera? How much weight do you actually save changing to a smaller camera? If you are changing to lighter lenses you aren't going to save much weight at all.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Camera weight isn't 25+lbs that'd be nuts, it's all the other poo poo I'm dragging like clothes water/snacks. Generally we hotel instead of camp.

It's also space in bags as well. Currently I'm using a d7000 which weighs about 30oz with battery. Something like a j1 or v1 mirrorless weighs about 9oz with battery. Plus it's about 1/2 the size which is also somewhat important when it comes to packing a bag.

The debate in my brain get a mirrorless body so I can use my lenses (if that's an option) or get a point and shoot and keep the DSLR at home.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The j1 and v1 use the nikon 1 mount, not the f mount so no your lenses won't work. (the 1 series is also effectively dead so I wouldn't recommend them)
Either you will need to change your entire system or just get a 2nd camera to carry with you on such circumstances.

Nikon z6 is lighter than your d7000 and there are rumours of a smaller lighter model coming soon, but it's z mount so again your lenses won't work unless you use the adapter (which will add weight and size).

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 18, 2019

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Get a capture clip

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Sounds like the latest rx100 is perfect for you. Long zoom, super compact, decent image quality.

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

lampey posted:

Get a capture clip

Listen to this one. I got one before this summer's vacation, and it was a godsend.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

The j1 and v1 use the nikon 1 mount, not the f mount so no your lenses won't work. (the 1 series is also effectively dead so I wouldn't recommend them)
Either you will need to change your entire system or just get a 2nd camera to carry with you on such circumstances.

Nikon z6 is lighter than your d7000 and there are rumours of a smaller lighter model coming soon, but it's z mount so again your lenses won't work unless you use the adapter (which will add weight and size).

Sounds like grabbing a point and shoot is the best choice

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Helen Highwater posted:

Even if it isn't it should still fire in manual mode. The centre contact is universal and that closes a circuit in the hotshoe that should fire the flash as long as it's in manual mode. The other contacts are for HSS, TTL and wake-up functions that vary by manufacturer.

Also, double check your sync speed. The flash won't fire if the shutter speed is too fast unless you have an HSS option enabled.

Oh cool, I did not know that. Thanks for sharing.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Crosspost from Cycle Asylum:

Some long exposure tests. I think I need to pick my lighting and background composition better.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There's a bunch of external HDs on sale in the gold box deals today if yall need anything

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, I for one will not be spending any more money at Adorama.

https://tinyurl.com/y6q8jkj3

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo :stare:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously. People still use LinkedIn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, I for one will not be spending any more money at Adorama.

https://tinyurl.com/y6q8jkj3

She was pretty active in forums and other places too IIRC. drat.