Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Tubgoat posted:

I could theoretically sympathise with a landlord that was acting in good faith and providing the services they promised, and who happened to have a legitimately unreasonable tenant, but I have never heard verified instances of this happening.

Really? Because there were plenty of threads on SA about terrible roommates that trashed the place, refused to pay the rent, etc. Are you telling me all those goons were making up stories of roommates that didn't actually exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Panfilo posted:

Really? Because there were plenty of threads on SA about terrible roommates that trashed the place, refused to pay the rent, etc. Are you telling me all those goons were making up stories of roommates that didn't actually exist?

Sure they did, or someone like them did if the story was made up.

It's just that landlords are uniformly worse regardless of case or particulars.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

Seriouspost: How hasn't this been happening WAY more, with all the poors becoming homeless and having nothing left to lose? Without even the illusion of enfranchisement, there is literally 0 incentive to not.

very few people actually have literally nothing left to lose

even if you're lying on the street half-dead and starving with no living relatives or friends, you're still more likely to commit crimes in order to continue living (i.e., stealing food, selling drugs, whatever) rather than going out on a "gently caress it" killing spree

i'm sick of hearing "i don't understand why everyone else isn't just killing all the capitalists already" from posters who clearly have no intention of doing it themselves. poor people aren't loving aliens or wild beasts or something, they're humans just like us. just like you're not really enthused about giving up your lives to kill a couple people just to fight back against society, poor people aren't either

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Main Paineframe posted:

i'm sick of hearing "i don't understand why everyone else isn't just killing all the capitalists already" from posters who clearly have no intention of doing it themselves. poor people aren't loving aliens or wild beasts or something, they're humans just like us. just like you're not really enthused about giving up your lives to kill a couple people just to fight back against society, poor people aren't either

thanks for saying this better than i did

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Main Paineframe posted:

even if you're lying on the street half-dead and starving with no living relatives or friends, you're still more likely to commit crimes in order to continue living (i.e., stealing food, selling drugs, whatever) rather than going out on a "gently caress it" killing spree

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Main Paineframe posted:

posters who clearly have no intention of doing it themselves.
Not while I have anything left to lose, no, you are correct about that. But take it all away and push me too far without getting me impractically far from any bank building or something of the sort, you're gonna see some serious poo poo.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

a good post

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

that said, as a poor person, the second a violent riot breaks out and starts stringing up cops in sacramento I'm 100% breaking out my rifle and joining

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tubgoat posted:

Not while I have anything left to lose, no, you are correct about that. But take it all away and push me too far without getting me impractically far from any bank building or something of the sort, you're gonna see some serious poo poo.

Same here. I would simply use my extensive krav maga training to sneak behind the landlords and neck chop them, before disappearing into a nearby bush (advanced stealth technique)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

mods please change this thread’s title to internet_tough_guys.txt

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
then you won’t know what the thread is and all for a lame own on your posting enemies

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
how has this dead gay forum suddenly forgotten its roots in wishful hyperbole about bad things happening to lovely people/systems

most of us would probably not literally kill our landlords today because we are not psychopaths but most of us would probably also immediately turn them in as soon as we see the guillotines getting built

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

TheKennedys posted:

how has this dead gay forum suddenly forgotten its roots in wishful hyperbole about bad things happening to lovely people/systems

most of us would probably not literally kill our landlords today because we are not psychopaths but most of us would probably also immediately turn them in as soon as we see the guillotines getting built

UH PSYCHOPATHS AREN'T THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO KILL OTHER PEOPLE EXCUSE ME

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Control Volume posted:

Same here. I would simply use my extensive krav maga training to sneak behind the landlords and neck chop them, before disappearing into a nearby bush (advanced stealth technique)

I, uh, don't know if you know this or not, but you 100% don't need to know krav maga in order to hop into a running Bite Squad vehicle and crash it into a bank building or pigpen. Shocking, I know.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

my landlord is a reit or some similar anonymous rent seeking megacorp but the people who work in the leasing office are pretty nice. I have talked to a lot of my fellow tenants about forming a tenant organization or tenant union so we can collectively ask for some new gym equipment and have the pool cleaned more regularly and stuff like that. people are interested but afraid of being evicted

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Reddit is good for some things after all:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bestoflegaladvice/comments/cs7jd4/landlord_wants_to_discriminate_against_a_mother

loving scum posted:

So, a few months back, we noticed that one of our tenants living in our basement was pregnant, and we asked her that we couldn't have her living there with her baby as it would disrupt the other tenants and whatnot. However, she lied to us and had the baby, and now she doesn't want to move. Apparently, we also cannot evict her as she said the law will side with her, since she needs to support her child.

This cannot go on any longer, her and her child are disrupting the other 3 tenants and they want her to leave, what can I do r/legaladvice? Thanks in advance!

tl;dr Tenant had a baby and we need to evict her legally.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I'm the comments pointing out that having 5 people live in a basement is almost definitely illegal under Canadian tenants laws

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

UH PSYCHOPATHS AREN'T THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO KILL OTHER PEOPLE EXCUSE ME

yeah I really wish that insanely dumb meme would die that isn’t how psychopathy works.

even in pop culture it doesn’t work that way so this is baffling

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

quote:

Am I looking like an rear end in a top hat for wanting to evict someone who (first of all lied to me, saying they were going to find another place willingly) disturbs the other tenants and wants them to leave too? Is it bad that I want the majority of my tenants to feel satisfied and to keep my business alive? Because thats the feeling im getting from these comments and downvotes, I dont see what I am doing wrong.

Amazing.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

quote:

A New York condo owner is accusing of splitting his Lower East Side apartment into an illegal duplex. But rather than adding walls, he reportedly lowered the ceiling and divided the unite horizontally into two cramped floors.

The ceilings were just 4 1/2 feet high, forcing the nine tenants to crouch or even walk on their knees. The owner reportedly even put bubble wrap on the ceiling to keep residents from banging their head on low-hanging pipes.

https://www.newsweek.com/landlord-split-apartment-being-john-malkovich-1455003?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
In all fairness, at least they went to the trouble of cutting tiny doors and door frames, it's a lot better than what I had imagined.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Bedshaped posted:

Dublin being an unmitigated disaster for rent and the governments response to exploding prices being "let's slash building regulations so you can pay the same amount for ever shrinking floor area" has turned the entire millennial generation here rabid

That would explain a number of their memes over the past year. I follow them mostly for the Brexit jokes.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

this is legitimately insane, he should be commited

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

I saw poo poo like this in Taipei.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just found out that not only does my manager spend a significant amount of his free time volunteering in the National guard as an officer but he's also a landlord. he's a professional rear end in a top hat in every possible capacity.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/SamTLevin/status/1163178502905978880

https://twitter.com/SamTLevin/status/1163183189164056576?s=20

eat the rich

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m not greedy, but I want to make money throwing holocaust survivors into the streets to die painfully

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

hell you don’t even need to go that far, her quote is literally I’m not greedy I just want a lot more money.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I'm fairly certain the costs you incur by being a landlord, be it a license, permit or fee would be written off at the end of the year anyway. Why would you ever want that to be paid and added to your income is beyond me.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm not greedy but money is more important to me than my own humanity

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

I'm tired of being called greedy. Is it greedy to want exorbitant amounts of money at the cost of other people's health, lifespan, or mental stability? Is if greedy to disregard natural balance and strip mine Yosemite? Is it greedy to inject highly volatile liquids at high pressure and give cancer to children for an extra dollar? Well then friends, I'm greedy. But is that so bad?

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
the worst part about this is there were actually people paying $600/mo for a 70 square foot "apartment"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cowpocalypse posted:

the worst part about this is there were actually people paying $600/mo for a 70 square foot "apartment"

I’ve seen poo poo like this and been in poo poo like this for over the past decade, it’s loving unbelievable.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Ahhhhhhh, so they mistakenly believe their oppressors are human. That explains it pretty well.

This childish belief needs to be done away with

Landlords are humans, and it's okay to want to kill them because there is nothing inherently wrong with murder

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

They are human
Thus capable of suffering
We will awaken in them this unused emotion.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

This was a plot point in Being John Malkovich

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tubgoat posted:

I, uh, don't know if you know this or not, but you 100% don't need to know krav maga in order to hop into a running Bite Squad vehicle and crash it into a bank building or pigpen. Shocking, I know.

You will die as a low KDR noob

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

*as i'm casually emptying the leave-a-penny box into my wallet already filled to bursting with thousand dollar bills* I’m not greedy, but I do want to make money when I’m legally able to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

SardonicTyrant posted:

This was a plot point in Being John Malkovich

yes... the article has a still from the movie I believe