Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Narsham posted:

Is there a genuinely simple, non-crunchy RPG system that has anywhere close to the market penetration of D&D or Pathfinder?

Short answer, no. Long answer, there are many games people like playing with varying degrees of popularity that you might like, and you listed some of them, but nothing comes fuckin close to the domination D&D and Pathfinder have over the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
There isn't an RPG system full stop that has the market penetration of D&D. D&D is the only one that really sits in the public consciousness outside nerd circles at all.

Emron posted:

I apologize if these are dumb questions: I'm very new (just played my first 3 sessions with a group in my area). How do I go about finding people to play with? I'm not sure how I feel about my current group and don't want that to detect from what seems like a really fun game.

Find a local nerd group on Facebook, probably. I found my group via a web forum I think but that was like... ten years ago and I can't even remember what it was called now.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Emron posted:

I apologize if these are dumb questions: I'm very new (just played my first 3 sessions with a group in my area). How do I go about finding people to play with? I'm not sure how I feel about my current group and don't want that to detect from what seems like a really fun game.

I've had some luck with MeetUp.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Emron posted:

You could try any local city thread on here, meetup, I think there's a gamers looking for games subreddit, or if you have a good local game store there might be a help wanted board of some variety

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
My buddy wants to make a big game safari hunter type dude for a lvl 5 one-shot that might extend to 2-3 sessions. We were looking at fighter specifically, and either Battle Master or Arcane Archer. BM looks pretty good in general if he sticks to the ones that don't require melee attacks. Arcane Archer could also fit the bill, but he wants to use a musket. Is there any reason you couldn't just let the AA stuff apply to any ranged weapon? It doesn't really look that strong to start with. It's just a flavour thing at this point, we're not going to be taking these characters far so it doesn't matter if either archetype really sucks at higher levels.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Flavor it as fancy ammo rather than magic and there you go

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Aside from the fact Arcane Archer is dogshit, he's fine.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
How do you all keep your character sheets organized? I still haven't found a layout that I really like yet. The D&D Beyond app prints out a lot of redundant information and doesn't elegantly support homebrew items (DM is a huge fan of Griffin Saddlebags items), but all the paper templates have way too much room for useless sections (like appearance) and not enough for the most important stuff (inventory). And I'm sick of wasting paper by having to rebuild sheets from scratch nearly every session.

Are there good character sheet designs that support plain old pencil & paper, and actually have enough room for everything?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Our level-6 group scraped by an encounter by the skin of our teeth yesterday. After killing a necromancer, we took their evil, sentient artifact and were wrapping up the rest of their home (a sprawling canyon-and-caves system, full of undead of course). Being a necromancer, naturally she wasn't dead, and in the middle of a mook fight, she came back as a wraith to beat the poo poo out of us some more, sporting a nasty melee attack that reduced max HP if you failed a save, which we kept doing. We were pretty worn down by the time she died again; the monk expended all of his ki points, the cleric used his Channel Divinity, and everyone with spell slots was around half-empty.

So it was a bit of a shock when, as the wraith re-died, the voice of the crown that'd been whispering at us came back to, er, life, as a high-level necromancer. He summoned up a bunch of undead, sprayed us with webs, Dimension Doored onto the roof of a nearby building after we beat on his AC-10 wizard rear end a bit, and then unleashed Circle of Death. Circle of Death, if you aren't aware, is basically Necromancer Fireball, dealing 8d6 necrotic damage or half if you save, to everything within a 60-foot radius sphere of the target. It hit our entire party. The monk started dying. The wizard started dying. The rogue, cleric, and bard were still up, but at single-digit HP and the cleric and bard were both still webbed. The thin silver lining was that the summoned undead were also blasted and promptly went back where they came from.

Our DM at this point noted three important points. One, holy poo poo, Circle of Death gains 2d6 damage per level when cast with higher-level slots. Two: hey guys, he can cast Circle of Death again and deal even more damage. Three: he doesn't have many HP left.

The rogue, the only one not webbed, activated his Cloak of the Bat and flew up to stab the necromancer. He couldn't sneak attack, but crucially this was the attack that finally ruined the necromancer's concentration, causing the webs to disappear. This let the bard move to a spot where she could see the boss and hit him with a boosted Shatter spell...which also started the rogue on dying, but it's not like he'd've lasted long either way. Alas, the necromancer was still on his feet. It was the cleric's turn, and the DM outright told him "Either you kill the boss, or he's going to kill you, and probably everyone else." He lined up a shot with Sacred Flame, it hit, he rolled 18 damage...and the DM revealed that he needed 16 to win.

I guess now I can say that we've come within one turn of a total party wipe, so I have that going for me.

This is a fun story, but are undead no longer healed by necrotic damage then? I thought that that was still a thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Depends on the undead. These were low-level ones that only had necrotic resistance. I gather most high-level undead are just immune though. I haven't done a survey of the monster manual.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Epi Lepi posted:

PBTA are simple I guess but require a completely different mindset that I just can’t wrap my head around. Probably because I grew up on 3.5.

You play Apocalypse World and similar games the exact same way you play DnD in terms of moment to moment play. The only real exception is that there's no expectation of going into a separate "roll for initiative, it's combat time" mode.

In DnD you can say "I hit the guy with my sword" and wow that looks like it triggers the rules for attacking someone and you follow the attacking-someone rules until it's done resolving.

In AW you can say "I hit the guy with my sword" and wow that looks like it triggers the rules for seizing by force (either their life, or safe passage past them) and you follow the seize-by-fore rules until they're done resolving.

I dunno why people think of AW games as 'weird' or 'narrative', you play them extremely traditionally.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

Aside from the fact Arcane Archer is dogshit, he's fine.

What's the issue with Arcane Archer. I have one in my current game and he has been doing great work.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Really the big, biiiig problem is that for some reason an Arcane Archer only gets to do their fun pewpew twice per rest. Ever. Whereas a Battle Master gets to do it four times per rest at Level 3, and it increases all the way up to 5(or 6 if they for whatever reason want to grab the Feat).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arthil posted:

Really the big, biiiig problem is that for some reason an Arcane Archer only gets to do their fun pewpew twice per rest. Ever. Whereas a Battle Master gets to do it four times per rest at Level 3, and it increases all the way up to 5(or 6 if they for whatever reason want to grab the Feat).

I would want to grab the feat as it makes the maneuvers more powerful as well.

We short rest fairly often, so I guess I just have not noticed the lack of Arcane shots as an issue.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 18, 2019

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I would want to grab the feat as it makes the maneuvers more powerful as well.

Sorry, what feat? I am a 7th level BM at the moment in a campaign, and I think I missed that bit.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Emron posted:

I have no idea how active it is now, but Crawlr got started a few months ago and I immediately found a group where I was intending to move to

Which I have not properly gotten around to because I'm still in vacation mode

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

bewilderment posted:

You play Apocalypse World and similar games the exact same way you play DnD in terms of moment to moment play. The only real exception is that there's no expectation of going into a separate "roll for initiative, it's combat time" mode.

In DnD you can say "I hit the guy with my sword" and wow that looks like it triggers the rules for attacking someone and you follow the attacking-someone rules until it's done resolving.

In AW you can say "I hit the guy with my sword" and wow that looks like it triggers the rules for seizing by force (either their life, or safe passage past them) and you follow the seize-by-fore rules until they're done resolving.

I dunno why people think of AW games as 'weird' or 'narrative', you play them extremely traditionally.

I have seen multiple groups that treated D&D as a tactical tabletop combat game with the occasional break out of encounter-mode to do various other things. If the combat rules that you want to "simplify" are the sole reason someone wants to play an RPG, the more elegant system is going to lose that person. (I also played in one game where having a single combat encounter in a four-hour session wasn't guaranteed and having more than two was almost unthinkable.)

We had a player who enjoyed 3rd and 4th edition, Pathfinder, Runequest, GURPS, Shadowrun, but refuses to play 5e because the rules aren't "crunchy" enough. If you're a designer, you probably don't want that kind of player to dictate your system, but you do need to take them into account.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I think that's definitely on the DM and their play style. In my campaign we've had sessions with no combat and sessions that were just one long boss battle, but I don't know how the general D&D playing populace tends to skew in what they're expecting.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Arcane Archer is fine, it's just not as good as Battlemaster for math reasons. "Dogshit" really only applies to Beastmaster Rangers in 5e; play whatever you want otherwise and you'll end up more or less okay.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Froghammer posted:

Arcane Archer is fine, it's just not as good as Battlemaster for math reasons. "Dogshit" really only applies to Beastmaster Rangers in 5e; play whatever you want otherwise and you'll end up more or less okay.

Nah, only being able to use the cool signature thing you're named after twice is dogshit.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
They play fine, they get everything else base Fighters subclasses get, if you're dead-set on playing an Arcane Archer you're not going to be a detriment to anybody else at the table. Calm down.

Battle Mad Ronin
Aug 26, 2017
One of my players is doing a Barbarian, thrid level at the moment. I’ve noticed the guy doesn’t have a lot to do in fights. It’s attack, either hit or miss, deal a bit of damage outshined by low level spells and not much else.

I’m thinking of introducing some mechanics that might give a few more options. Enter the Carnage Die; the idea is the barbarian player gets a die that scales with level. Each turn he can spend the die to either

1. Add the roll of the die directly to damage and attack rolls
2. Add the die to any ability, skill or save roll that involves breaking something or tanking damage/powering through it
3. Roll the die against enemy HD. If he gets a result above the HD of whoever he is fighting, reposition that enemy up to 20 feet representing his hulk strength just battering the enemy the gently caress out, or
4. Smash a piece of equipment, weaponry or armor carried by the enemy, effectively rendering one of the enemy’s attacks useless (dislocating a jaw for bite attacks, smashing a weapon, breaking a limb)

The die scales with proficiency bonus;
+2 => Carnage Die 1d4
+3 => Carnage Die 1d6
Etc. ending at 1d12 at prof. Bonus +6

Any thoughts on such a system?

Or, just as useful, any thoughts on making martials more interesting in combat?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

One of my players is doing a Barbarian, thrid level at the moment. I’ve noticed the guy doesn’t have a lot to do in fights. It’s attack, either hit or miss, deal a bit of damage outshined by low level spells and not much else.

I’m thinking of introducing some mechanics that might give a few more options. Enter the Carnage Die; the idea is the barbarian player gets a die that scales with level. Each turn he can spend the die to either

1. Add the roll of the die directly to damage and attack rolls
2. Add the die to any ability, skill or save roll that involves breaking something or tanking damage/powering through it
3. Roll the die against enemy HD. If he gets a result above the HD of whoever he is fighting, reposition that enemy up to 20 feet representing his hulk strength just battering the enemy the gently caress out, or
4. Smash a piece of equipment, weaponry or armor carried by the enemy, effectively rendering one of the enemy’s attacks useless (dislocating a jaw for bite attacks, smashing a weapon, breaking a limb)

The die scales with proficiency bonus;
+2 => Carnage Die 1d4
+3 => Carnage Die 1d6
Etc. ending at 1d12 at prof. Bonus +6

Any thoughts on such a system?

Or, just as useful, any thoughts on making martials more interesting in combat?

Barbarian should be easily overshadowing basically everyone at low level dps. Something tells me you're missing a rule, or they've badly built their character. Adding mechanics doesn't fix that.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Which barbarian archetype did they take? I gave my berserker player an axe which allowed him to crit once on command if he had struck a killing blow previously in combat.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Barbarians have many problems but low damage output isn't one of them.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's cool; my only hesitation is that a likely scenario is he'll use Carnage to bolster his hit/damage 95% of the time resulting in a scenario where his character is just as boring as he is now, only a little stronger.

I think the best solution is to give every martial a mechanic similar to Battlemaster Maneuvers or Ki, which is really just a way of saying "giving them encounter/daily powers" ala 4E or the Bo9S from 3E. Ideas for Barbarian Maneuvers include a couple you listed (big pushes/throws, sundering enemy bodies Monster Hunter style), something that lets him grab foes without sacrificing damage, and a movement option that lets the Barbarian charge or leap while doing damage to every enemy in his path or at the impact point of a massive jump.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

How many encounters are they tackling between short and long rests? The spellcasters should not have enough slots to outshine barb damage for long.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Might want to try the new unearthed arcana barbarian subclass. It looks really interesting. If nothing else it would add some randomness if he’s raging.

nelson fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 18, 2019

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Yeah I’m running sunless citadel right now and or group is a bard, sorcerer, wizard and barbarian and the barb puts out the most damage in fights by a long long shot.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I think the best solution is to give every martial a mechanic similar to Battlemaster Maneuvers or Ki, which is really just a way of saying "giving them encounter/daily powers" ala 4E or the Bo9S from 3E. Ideas for Barbarian Maneuvers include a couple you listed (big pushes/throws, sundering enemy bodies Monster Hunter style), something that lets him grab foes without sacrificing damage, and a movement option that lets the Barbarian charge or leap while doing damage to every enemy in his path or at the impact point of a massive jump.

I made a homebrew system for that here:
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/230244/Norts-Universal-Martial-Maneuvers

And the free version is here:
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/231023/Norts-Universal-Martial-Maneuvers--Basics

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So for the homebrew Thundersmith, do I not have Magical Tinkering or Infusions?

edit: Also does the Thundersmith *not* have Ritual spellcasting?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 18, 2019

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Raenir Salazar posted:

So for the homebrew Thundersmith, do I not have Magical Tinkering or Infusions?

So for Kibbles Alternative Artificer you pretty much ignore the UA class.

You do get a spell list at 2nd but if it isn't listed in that Pdf you don't get it. At first level you get your Specialization and the ability to detect magic and identify as rituals without components.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Genghis Cohen posted:

Sorry, what feat? I am a 7th level BM at the moment in a campaign, and I think I missed that bit.

Martial Adept. It's a feat that gives whoever takes it two BM maneuvers and one d6 superiority die. If you are already a battle master the extra superiority die is based on your progression instead. (I also for some reason thought it upgraded your superiority die by a step if you were a Battlemaster.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 19, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In interesting news, while it has not been officially announced yet. The new Eberron setting book has shown up on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786966890/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_hMCwDb71Y3B29

The product description makes it sound fairly interesting.

Amazon product description posted:

This book provides everything players and Dungeon Masters need to play Dungeons & Dragons in Eberron—a war-torn world filled with magic-fueled technology, airships and lightning trains, where noir-inspired mystery meets swashbuckling adventure. Will Eberron enter a prosperous new age or will the shadow of war descend once again?

• Dive straight into your pulp adventures with easy-to-use locations, complete with maps of floating castles, skyscrapers, and more.

• Explore Sharn, a city of skyscrapers, airships, and noirish intrigue and a crossroads for the world’s war-ravaged peoples.

• Include a campaign for characters venturing into the Mournland, a mist-cloaked, corpse-littered land twisted by magic.

• Meld magic and invention to craft objects of wonder as an artificer—the first official class to be released for fifth edition D&D since the Player’s Handbook.

• Flesh out your characters with a new D&D game element called a group patron—a background for your whole party.

• Explore 16 new race/subrace options including dragonmarks, which magically transform certain members of the races in the Player’s Handbook.

• Confront horrific monsters born from the world’s devastating wars

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

13 Dragonmarked houses leaves 3 slots for races, I wonder if Kalashtar got axed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jonas Albrecht posted:

13 Dragonmarked houses leaves 3 slots for races, I wonder if Kalashtar got axed.

I thought there were only 12 Marks cause only Lady Vol has the Mark of Death

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The existing Eberron doc only has 12 Dragonmarks. It also says that the Mark of Death is wiped out (which is apparently true for PCs).

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Edit: The wiki here has 13 listed plus 2 odd ones.

https://eberron.fandom.com/wiki/The_Dragonmarked_Houses

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 19, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

13, plus Vol and the aberrant house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Edit: The wiki here has 13 listed plus 2 odd ones.

https://eberron.fandom.com/wiki/The_Dragonmarked_Houses

One of the houses is composed of pure aberrant marks. And one house shares it's mark with another.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 19, 2019