Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

rndmnmbr posted:

He taught Konohamaru both the Rasengan and Kage Bunshin, badly. Kono basically had to figure out both by himself.

But even so, if you don't have sage mode or your own personal tailed beast, the Rasengan, Kage Bunshin, and Sexy jutsu is about all he has to teach. Naruto does a lot with a surprisingly limited toolset.

That's very true. He's good at taijutsu, especially in sage/kurama mode (he knows frog kata!), but otherwise it's really only Rasengan, Kage Bunshin, Sexy jutsu, and summoning toads. He uses all his nature transformations with the Rasengan, whether it's his own wind nature, or when he uses the unique natures of the tailed beasts during the last parts of the war.

He once used wind release with Yamato's water release to create a kind of water hurricane to extinguish a huge flame wall created by Kakuzu, but I figure he only provided the raw wind release power, while Yamato shaped the overall jutsu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The Rasenshuriken is unique enough it's its own jutsu, not just a flavor of Rasengan. After all, we've seen Konohamaru's wind release Rasengan and it's not the same. The tailed beast ball is probably unique too.

Honestly, though, I figured Naruto didn't get much of a chance to learn anything else. Jiraya probably spent those three years reteaching a bunch of fundamentals that Naruto half-learned the first time, so Shippuden Naruto can shape chakra without wasting half of it, etc., but nothing too flashy. And then it's a, what, year and a half? rollercoaster ride through Shippuden. And by the end he's the certified Best In The World, has absolutely mastered the Rasengan and Kage Bunshin beyond all conceivable limits, and doesn't have to learn any other jutsu to kick rear end and take names.

(And lets face it, unless you're playing with eyehax then you tend to have one or two good jutsu and a handful of supporting skills, and we may just have never seen Naruto's supporting jutsu.)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Naruto is more akin to a walking natural disaster in terms of actual combat ability.

Lee will straight-up break you over his knee.
Sasuke is a ninja's ninja, and then he has bullshit eye hax.
Naruto is like.... "Ha ha, your southern tiger has no chance against my CLONE FU WITH EXPLOSIONS" Even when he was younger, his fighting was less fighting and more brawling and overwhelming the opponent with mob tactics... hardly suited to being a sneaky mcsneakerson ninja, but great in a war.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ninja elementary school was supposed to provide the baseline for the child soldiers to learn more advanced techniques later on. naruto was severely handicapped with chakra until jiraiya casually fixed his seal, so he never got that baseline. no one ever looked into why the son of two ridiculously talented ninjas was struggling so desperately because no one actually gave a gently caress about him. it's amazing naruto turned out as well adjusted as he did.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Since a kagebunshin can form a rasengan if you supply the chakra, can any random person force you to make a rasengan if they know how?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dudermcbrohan posted:

the fact that they added both Shino and rock lee and that that(probably) ruined the probability ratios of the packs is very funny

How were Anko and Udon getting a card before Rock Lee? How was he not even in consideration for the second series when relative small fry like them were set? Rock Lee isn't as bombastic as guy, but you'd imagine he's still pretty well known given his unique dress sense and appearance as well as his skill.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Don't have time for jobber Chuunin.

Joking, because I'm not sure Lee's been referred to as a Jounin yet? Perhaps so? I don't think Boruto has had any technical guidebooks released yet, so I don't know if some of those advancements have been hard confirmed.

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 17, 2019

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
can someone tell me why Kishimoto hasnt tried to sue this guy?

is it because he's a literal dictator?:v:

https://twitter.com/jairbolsonaro/status/1124062156989902883?s=19

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In one of the anime fillers, Naruto learns from Jiraiya how to do combo moves with summoned frogs, specifically Naruto uses wind jutsu into a frog who squirts water out to create an incredibly pressurized water pistol jutsu. Of course, it was anime only and for one arc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Race Realists posted:

can someone tell me why Kishimoto hasnt tried to sue this guy?

is it because he's a literal dictator?:v:

https://twitter.com/jairbolsonaro/status/1124062156989902883?s=19

that's fair use. just because bolsonaro is an enormous piece of poo poo doesn't mean that him posting an edited naruto panel on twitter is significant in any way.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's fair use. just because bolsonaro is an enormous piece of poo poo doesn't mean that him posting an edited naruto panel on twitter is significant in any way.

ah. i just found it it in extremely poor taste especially considering the fictional character he's using

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Race Realists posted:

ah. i just found it it in extremely poor taste especially considering the fictional character he's using

everything bolsonaro does is in extremely poor taste. that's his thing.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I work with a bunch of high school kids, and two of them were discussing what one of them did with the other's Akatsuki socks the other day. I inquired, and yes,

Akatsuki socks are a loving thing. And now this is stuck in my head so I now have to inflict it on you.

"Kisame, why did you have to lose my special Akatsuki socks?"

"You mixed your laundry with mine."

"But we're going to Konoha today, you know I can't fight Sasuke without my Akatsuki socks!"

"We're just supposed to get the Nine-Tails kid today, Itachi."

"But what if I run into him, Kisame? Without my Akatsuki socks I'll have to pretend I don't want to fight Sasuke!"

*sigh* "I'll check my sock drawer when we get back to base, Itachi."

And gently caress, Itachi as the whiny Aspergers guy and Kisame as his long-suffering boyfriend may forever be my horrible head canon now.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Man i'm hating the latest boruto filler arc in the anime. Were back to naruto filler quality it seems. It's focussing on boruto and konohamaru and OC characters and those are some terrible characters to focus on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, it’s basically a stock Naruto filler plot, and not a particularly interesting one either since all you have to do is watch the second episode of the arc and you can pretty much figure out exactly how the story is going to play out.

Hopefully it’ll be over in another episode or two though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 4, 2019

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
bort you really should just tell your demigod dad that there's an eldritch abomination about to awaken right outside the town, it's kind of his job to clean those up

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The Leaf's opsec is bad, and Hinata is an idiot.

Your son is clearly lying his rear end off

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 18, 2019

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I know it's not Boruto but:
It's definitely not alcohol!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

I know it's not Boruto but:
It's definitely not alcohol!

The gently caress.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
can't wait to get home and crack open an ice cold potion with the boys

That's bizarre. Wasn't the original manga explicit about it being sake? I don't even remember the anime censoring it

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
in japan yes.

in the US it was censored in both version.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sindai posted:

can't wait to get home and crack open an ice cold potion with the boys

That's bizarre. Wasn't the original manga explicit about it being sake? I don't even remember the anime censoring it

I recall the anime presenting it as booze in the dub.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Dexo posted:

The Leaf's opsec is bad, and Hinata is an idiot.

Your son is clearly lying his rear end off

Hinata's first instinct is to check with Mitsuki to confirm the obvious BS story she's being fed. She just thinks Bort is trying to get out of a camping trip, though, so she lets it slide 'cause Sarada will keep Bort in line. She's not aware he's going AWOL again or you'd better believe a sudden string of accidents and coincidences would keep him locked in his room for a week and asking permission to pee.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-08-13/boruto-writer-ukyo-kodachi-shares-support-for-lgbtq-representation-in-fiction/.149963

Bort good.

I actually love all the characters in this show (Chocho and Misaki are precious)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

My opinion of the Mangaka is rising. That's a well written opinion.

Speaking off,the Bort Manga is heating up.
The current clash has been pretty satisfying so far.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Here's a link to the Viz Boruto Chapter 37 for those interested.

I appreciate Jigen trying to dump Naruto in an alternate dimension and bailing.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

Here's a link to the Viz Boruto Chapter 37 for those interested.

I appreciate Jigen trying to dump Naruto in an alternate dimension and bailing.

Chapter spoilers, don't read this anime watchers.

Yeah, Jigen has been strangely likeable despite so far being pretty flat. His fake cordiality at the beginning and simply not bothering with Naruto and dumping him in nowhere have been great.

I also appreciate the fake out with the rods. My first thought was that they were those black chakra rods from the Rinnegan. Except somehow Karma was giving that to Jigen.
Nope, they're just a bunch of needles which he can increase in size.

I wasn't looking forward to the Jigen fight, because I assumed he would kill Naruto and Sasuke easily with some hacks abilities. But them so easily recognizing his abilities and using his abilities against him threw a wrench in that. So I'm oddly looking forward against round 2 against horned Jigen. Even if so far Naruto's MO is ball -> bigger ball -> giant ball

I didn't much like the fight against Delta, but the fight against Ao and this fight are pretty good relying more on strategy. Reminding me more of early Naruto.

I really hope that this Mangaka manages to stay away from escalating eyehacks and Jesus destinies and keeps this up. The cold open suggested otherwise, but this is giving me hope.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

This graced my timeline today.

https://twitter.com/Chef_Lu_Bu/status/1164760384739221504?s=20

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Isn't Boruto more naturally gifted at ninjutsu than Naruto? The fact he coasted through school because of his talent without ever learning to actually apply himself was a fairly important part of the pre-Chuunin Exam stuff.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

tsob posted:

Isn't Boruto more naturally gifted at ninjutsu than Naruto? The fact he coasted through school because of his talent without ever learning to actually apply himself was a fairly important part of the pre-Chuunin Exam stuff.

Yes. Remember that mini-arc where the whole class goes up against Kakashi in another bell test, where they had a written exam before that? The students were of course supposed to cheat in order to obtain the answers, but Boruto didn't pay attention in class and overheard that detail, so he just aced the test from memory. Boruto is really smart and talented, but he has little to no drive.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

tsob posted:

Maybe. Naruto was crippled by his hosed up seal destroying his chakra control, the fact at least some of his teachers were trying to murder him or make him fail and the fact he basically had to raise himself. And once that poo poo got taken care of he proved to be ridiculously gifted at learning and improving on things like the Rasengen.

Boruto got to coast because he's the closest thing the Hidden Leaf has to royalty, was raised by people who care about him and has natural talent. He basically never actually struggled with anything until he hit the Chunin exam stuff where he ran right into a brick wall. He's definitely smarter than Naruto though and way lazier.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bort is absurdly talented. He was trained by the Hyuuga and is an Uzumaki

He skillwise shits on Naruto, who's only strength was his absurd chakra reserves and how it allowed him to brute force everything thrown in front of him

The massive chakra made it harder for him to control it. But yeah

Bort essentially has Naruto's battle ingenuity when it comes to strategy but with like actual hand to hand skills and ninjutsu besides Clones.

Just without Naruto's infinite chakra.

Naruto same age would probably win in a fight because he would just wear the everliving poo poo out of Boruto with clones and just absurd power with Kyuubi.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, he's much further along and competent than Naruto was. His upper limit is obviously probably not as high, but he seems more well rounded.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

There's a difference in circumstances too. It's not the same level of cold warfare going on as when the Konoha Eleven were growing up, let alone the open warfare that drove Kakashi to genin at five and jonin at twelve. The world has genuine peace, perhaps for the first time since the Sage of Six Paths was alive, and Konoha can afford to let them be kids for a while instead of immediately feeding them to the meat grinder.

Mirai shows that. She's a chunin worried about getting her chance to prove herself, not a battle-hardened chunin veteran with a dozen S-rank missions under her belt.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Rewatching my favorite Shippuden fight.

"Until a shinobi is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to Mount Myoboku and studied Sage Arts with the toads real hard for ten years. If I had a tailed beast implanted in me and made friends with it. If I got a mangekyo sharingan, had one year before I went blind, and devoted it to wiping out the Akatsuki. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad.

Sasuke used to feel that way, too, but then he ran into Killer Bee. In a way, this is liberating. He no longer has to worry about trying to be the baddest motherfucker in the world. The position is taken."

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

Chapter spoilers, don't read this anime watchers.

I wasn't looking forward to the Jigen fight, because I assumed he would kill Naruto and Sasuke easily with some hacks abilities. But them so easily recognizing his abilities and using his abilities against him threw a wrench in that. So I'm oddly looking forward against round 2 against horned Jigen. Even if so far Naruto's MO is ball -> bigger ball -> giant ball

I really hope that this Mangaka manages to stay away from escalating eyehacks and Jesus destinies and keeps this up. The cold open suggested otherwise, but this is giving me hope.
Well, I guess they're not eyehacks at least. :shrug: I didn't dislike this fight, but it wasn't very good either because it went straight for "Lol, I'm the strongest!" with no room for the strategy we'd seen in previous chapters. This does not give me much hope for future fights, but we'll see.

Alas poor Jigen.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I thought it was a good demonstration of how screwed everyone is. Naruto and Sasuke's A game fails, Naruto is sealed away in a different dimension, Sasuke is critically injured. The game has changed, perhaps permanently.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 25, 2019

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

It's tough when you don't have a healer with you.

I think we have a good accounting of what is going on in the first chapter now. Looks like Kawaki is possessed and it sounds like that Naruto isn't getting out...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hypocrisy posted:

It's tough when you don't have a healer with you.

I think we have a good accounting of what is going on in the first chapter now. Looks like Kawaki is possessed and it sounds like that Naruto isn't getting out...

I was under the impression that the flash forward at the beginning was set several years later (Boruto looks significantly older/taller for one thing). The pieces leading up to it are definitely starting to fall into place now at the very least though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The next arc in the anime is Boruto and Sasuke traveling to pre-shippuden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq02Q0rhBlU