Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Haha I've fantasized about getting off my rear end and organizing my pads like that ^^^

Jaded Burnout posted:

There's a huge market sale every weekend in my town and I've never been. I should change that.

I've been pretty active and picky so I haven't grabbed much over the last year but it seems like the grind to find cheap high quality poo poo is paying off for me. Got some lignum vitae for $5 today?! Works for my poor rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I would like to get better at spindle turning and sharpening turning tools. The way I learned to turn is fairly cautious and involves more scraping than is ideal (but a catch on a scraper is much less likely to ruin an entire turning than one on a gouge or skew, so it isn't all bad), and I'd love some book or youtube etc. suggestions on doing it right by cutting with gouge/skew etc instead of scraping away.

I have a decent grinder I like and I've always sharpened turning tools by hand and done alright, but it's slow and the tool acts just a little different with the slight variation in grind. Those grinding jigs seem to be what everyone is using now and they sure do look easy and probably give a more repeatable result. Any suggestions on those? There was some talk about those disposable carbide things a while ago too, and while I am intrigued, I think I want to stick to normal tools for now unless they are just really the bees knees.

Also any opinions on the Ashley Iles turning tools? I have some of their carving stuff and it's fine, but most of my turning stuff is Sorby or ancient firmer gouges I've turned into roughing gouges. I've also been reading about some of the fancy Crown stuff-most of their hand tools have always seemed a bit rough to me for the price, but maybe turning tools is what they're really good at?

Why are the good turning tool makers English?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
I can't speak to the nitty-gritty of wood turning tools, but irt inconsistent hand-grinding, the age-old remedy against losing a tool profile is to create a master reference you can get juuuuust right and then have forever. Get some brass sheet, trace the tool profile along a plane you care about (you can do multiple profiles to capture all the profiles if necessary). Cut it out undersized with a jeweller's saw and then come in with needle/rotary files, removing material cautiously and sticking exclusively to hand tools as you close in on the profile. Compare it frequently with the IRL tool until it's a bang-on fit. Make another profile or two if everything about it is critical. Keep it somewhere safe. Next time you have to sharpen the tool- or even want to remake it after you lose/break it, say- you will have an immaculate "negative" of the tool available.

Takes forever, but it gives you repeatability while needing little in the way of money or tooling.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I would like to get better at spindle turning and sharpening turning tools. The way I learned to turn is fairly cautious and involves more scraping than is ideal (but a catch on a scraper is much less likely to ruin an entire turning than one on a gouge or skew, so it isn't all bad), and I'd love some book or youtube etc. suggestions on doing it right by cutting with gouge/skew etc instead of scraping away.

I have a decent grinder I like and I've always sharpened turning tools by hand and done alright, but it's slow and the tool acts just a little different with the slight variation in grind. Those grinding jigs seem to be what everyone is using now and they sure do look easy and probably give a more repeatable result. Any suggestions on those? There was some talk about those disposable carbide things a while ago too, and while I am intrigued, I think I want to stick to normal tools for now unless they are just really the bees knees.

Also any opinions on the Ashley Iles turning tools? I have some of their carving stuff and it's fine, but most of my turning stuff is Sorby or ancient firmer gouges I've turned into roughing gouges. I've also been reading about some of the fancy Crown stuff-most of their hand tools have always seemed a bit rough to me for the price, but maybe turning tools is what they're really good at?

Why are the good turning tool makers English?

This guy has some great in-depth turning and sharpening videos https://www.youtube.com/wortheffort

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
The sharpening jig you want is a Wolverine Jig. Sharpen often and it doesn't take long. Unless you are having to reshape it all it takes is one to two passes on the wheel to get that edge. Don't try and remove any burrs or anything as you kinda want that on the tool lip (and they will come off while using them).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31pzViUhJuQ

Carbide tools, great for beginners and if you are doing any resin turning but they are really just scrapers with different shaped heads. You can also get away with not needing a grinder/jig for sharpening, you can sharpen them on a stone or just buy replacements if you chip them. If you are already used to skews and gouges then stick with them as you can do a great deal more with them. I tend to use both but I do a lot of resin turning and gouges skews just take a lot more finesse than I like. I never use them on wood though.

I don't really have a brand loyalty and have found the majority are the same quality tool steel with a different turners name on the handle. The biggest difference is in the handle itself and finding one that is comfortable in your hand, turning my own handles is on the long list of to dos. Some people like the swapable necks but personally I like being able to grab a different tool on the fly instead of pausing to swap it out (or worse try to make a cut with the wrong tool).

As for technique I watch a lot of turners on youtube but really just get a bunch of scrap sticks and start cutting. The one thing you can't really get from a video is the feel. Also speed, everyone speeds up their videos and never tells you what speed they are turning at which drives me nuts. But here is a good video explaining catches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOvF5f1phhY

edit: Forgot to mention longer handled tools have more control, I know a guy that turns pens with full size handles.

JEEVES420 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 14, 2019

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

Also speed, everyone speeds up their videos and never tells you what speed they are turning at which drives me nuts. But here is a good video explaining catches.

This kills me with CNC videos too, at least tell me how long it took

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks, those are very useful links! Especially the one about why catches happen-I need to watch it every day for forever and retrain my brain. The only thing harder than learning something new is getting rid of 10 years worth of bad habits.

I sharpened everything up and it makes such a difference. I need a giant sign over the lathe that says SHARPEN SHARPEN SHARPEN because stuff gets dull gradually and I don't notice I'm making dust not shavings.

JEEVES420 posted:

Carbide tools, great for beginners and if you are doing any resin turning but they are really just scrapers with different shaped heads. You can also get away with not needing a grinder/jig for sharpening, you can sharpen them on a stone or just buy replacements if you chip them. If you are already used to skews and gouges then stick with them as you can do a great deal more with them. I tend to use both but I do a lot of resin turning and gouges skews just take a lot more finesse than I like. I never use them on wood though.

Is resin hard to turn? I had to turn some lucite once and it turned like butter/very soft hard maple.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

JEEVES420 posted:

The sharpening jig you want is a Wolverine Jig. Sharpen often and it doesn't take long. Unless you are having to reshape it all it takes is one to two passes on the wheel to get that edge. Don't try and remove any burrs or anything as you kinda want that on the tool lip (and they will come off while using them).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31pzViUhJuQ

I don't really have a brand loyalty and have found the majority are the same quality tool steel with a different turners name on the handle. The biggest difference is in the handle itself and finding one that is comfortable in your hand, turning my own handles is on the long list of to dos. Some people like the swapable necks but personally I like being able to grab a different tool on the fly instead of pausing to swap it out (or worse try to make a cut with the wrong tool).

As for technique I watch a lot of turners on youtube but really just get a bunch of scrap sticks and start cutting. The one thing you can't really get from a video is the feel. Also speed, everyone speeds up their videos and never tells you what speed they are turning at which drives me nuts. But here is a good video explaining catches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOvF5f1phhY

edit: Forgot to mention longer handled tools have more control, I know a guy that turns pens with full size handles.

Quoting this for myself to save for later. Thanks for sharing this.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Hypnolobster posted:

Cut some box joints last weekend. 32 joints, 600 cuts. Took like an hour-hour and a half. Screw advance box joint jig is still the best goddamned thing. I would have saved maybe 20 minutes with rabbet joints or pocket holes. Dowels would have taken longer.
I'll get screwed on time when it comes to glueup, but that's fine with me. I sort of enjoy glueups because I'm apparently a masochist.

Pretty much finished my little shop cabinet, just need to slap a top on it. Maybe excessive for storing sandpaper but I really enjoy making the woodgears style box joint cabinets, and thru-box joints are also fun to make. And look cool.
This is the third thing I've made in this style, and I have so much horrible red oak laying around that I'll probably make 3 or 4 cabinets out of it for a miter saw stand.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hypnolobster posted:

Pretty much finished my little shop cabinet, just need to slap a top on it. Maybe excessive for storing sandpaper but I really enjoy making the woodgears style box joint cabinets, and thru-box joints are also fun to make. And look cool.
This is the third thing I've made in this style, and I have so much horrible red oak laying around that I'll probably make 3 or 4 cabinets out of it for a miter saw stand.

Are those drawer fronts a ton of tiny through mortises?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
So I finished my monitor stand with BLO and some paste wax. I gave it a couple days to set/dry out and put it to use. After a couple more days I checked under the monitor and there were two small marks.

It's weird that it's only those parts. Since they're in the center, I'm wondering if I didn't remove enough excess wax and/or didn't let it set long enough. It was pretty humid so maybe a couple days wasn't enough.

Any thoughts on fixing this? Sand and then oil/wax again? Just try to buff it with a little more wax? Not sure if I should just try to sand it all off and go for something more protective.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Looks like a box joint they overcut for the hang then patched flush with little bits. Never seen it, it's a cool little trick.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

That Works posted:

Are those drawer fronts a ton of tiny through mortises?

Huxley posted:

Looks like a box joint they overcut for the hang then patched flush with little bits. Never seen it, it's a cool little trick.
Yep, cut the box joints an extra half inch deep to account for drawer slides and then cut scrap to use as glue blocks/fill the gaps. It's effectively tiny thru mortises in the end.

I did the same thing on a tool stand last year.

Hypnolobster posted:

Finished an obnoxiously over-boxjointed shop cart for my slot mortiser. I didn't want to put on drawer faces, partially because I didn't feel like gluing up and resawing something and I was out of clean(ish) doug fir. I cut the drawer front joinery 1/2" deeper and kept the fronts full width. Hid the slides and I didn't lose any drawer depth with a second face. I only used walnut because I had a random scrap with a crack down the middle, and it was the only thing wide enough for the bottom 8" deep drawer.

I'm sure I could have fit more boxjoints in there somehow, but I don't know where exactly.

e: in keeping with the theme, the drawer handles were sawn out of the boxjointed gantry from my first slot mortiser prototype

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

If I have a standalone router, does a cheap barely used router table make sense?
A co-worker has a Skil RAS900 for $80 and it seems like a no brainer for smaller pieces and in general as it folds/stores well.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

toplitzin posted:

If I have a standalone router, does a cheap barely used router table make sense?
A co-worker has a Skil RAS900 for $80 and it seems like a no brainer for smaller pieces and in general as it folds/stores well.

I mean if you have the room for it why not? Like I tell my wife “we’ve spent more on less”.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I think a router table is an incredibly handy thing. It can really speed up a lot of processes.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

z0331 posted:

So I finished my monitor stand with BLO and some paste wax. I gave it a couple days to set/dry out and put it to use. After a couple more days I checked under the monitor and there were two small marks.

It's weird that it's only those parts. Since they're in the center, I'm wondering if I didn't remove enough excess wax and/or didn't let it set long enough. It was pretty humid so maybe a couple days wasn't enough.

Any thoughts on fixing this? Sand and then oil/wax again? Just try to buff it with a little more wax? Not sure if I should just try to sand it all off and go for something more protective.

I thought at first those are dreaded sticker marks I've posted about. A different type non-neutral material used on those 2 sticks, and it soaked the walnut as it dried.
But looking at the expanded img, it looks to be glue smears, which will sand out. If you've used oil finish, clear off the wax with simple green, sand the areas and feather them, then reapply oil in the sanded area, feathering it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

I thought at first those are dreaded sticker marks I've posted about. A different type non-neutral material used on those 2 sticks, and it soaked the walnut as it dried.
But looking at the expanded img, it looks to be glue smears, which will sand out. If you've used oil finish, clear off the wax with simple green, sand the areas and feather them, then reapply oil in the sanded area, feathering it.

I think those are maybe from the rubber feet under the monitor stand? I'm guessing somehow the rubber has reacted to uncured finish, or alternatively, absorbed a little?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Leperflesh posted:

I think those are maybe from the rubber feet under the monitor stand?

This is correct - sorry I wasn't very clear.

The weird part, I think, is that the monitor stand is a full ring, or whatever, but only these sections showed anything.

Regardless, sounds like I'm going to have to strip and reapply and just let it set for a week or something?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

If the monitor stand is covering it can you just ignore it? You might find it does the exact same thing when you put it back on if you aren’t using a fully cured finish

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
But I’ll know. :smith:

Really though it might not be worth the effort trying to redo the finish since, like you say, it’s not going to be usually visible.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

just put more wax on and really buff it with t shirt material until no more wax come off and it should even out.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This is one heck of a workout

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Nice shavings you're getting there, free workout!

I used a power planer, grinder, belt sander and orbital all last week and was feeling it so much I strained my rhomboid. loving terrible pain. I didnt realize I was going too hard until my fingers were tingling, damnit. Dont be as dumb as I am and take breaks I guess. Or pay extra to not use older tools.

I'm definitely not sick of working pretty wood but live edge does absolutely nothing for me now lmao. I could stare at the grain forever sanding and the first layer of oil is always something special but that live edge is coming off asap.

My final epiphany is that a belt sander was everything I needed to be using until it wasnt :smith: but thats why I'm practicing before I get to the actual slabs

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I used a power planer, grinder, belt sander and orbital all last week and was feeling it so much I strained my rhomboid. loving terrible pain. I didnt realize I was going too hard until my fingers were tingling, damnit. Dont be as dumb as I am and take breaks I guess. Or pay extra to not use older tools.

Welcome to :corsair: crew

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Thanks! Freshly sharpened and honed, though that plane is way more complicated to configure than any other tool I've used, power tools included.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Hypnolobster posted:

This is beautiful. I really like it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I bought a couple blocks of wood for carving that are covered in wax. It looks like the wax will scrape off the surface well enough with a chisel, but does anyone know a more effective way or removing it?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Heat gun?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
if it fits in your freezer, chilling it and then chipping the wax away will prolly separate cleanly and leave much less residue

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

dupersaurus posted:

I bought a couple blocks of wood for carving that are covered in wax. It looks like the wax will scrape off the surface well enough with a chisel, but does anyone know a more effective way or removing it?

You bought turning blocks, answer is you need to get a lathe :v:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Combo edge jointing and tapering jig a built a couple months back.

First Tapered leg!

And now I have 8 of them. Building a pair of Shaker end tables with cherry legs and cherry breadboard ends, cherry drawer pull and the rest of the piece in maple.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm thinking of making a new house for my rats. What's the best way to finish some kind of sheet wood to resist their enthusiastic pissing? Poly?

In fact, is there a good primer on finishes around to get an idea on e.g. how finishes change with age?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm thinking of making a new house for my rats. What's the best way to finish some kind of sheet wood to resist their enthusiastic pissing? Poly?

In fact, is there a good primer on finishes around to get an idea on e.g. how finishes change with age?
Anything Bob Flexner-the book linked in the OP is very good. He writes clearly and (in my experience) correctly on a topic that mystifies many woodworkers. He also writes regular columns for "Popular Woodworking" and "Woodshop News"- I know the WoodShop News column at least is available free online, but it is more aimed at professional shops.

Re: Ratpiss, I'm not exactly sure, but film thickness matters a lot in terms of stain resistance vs. standing liquids so I would think several coats of polyurethane or a thick varnish. Both will yellow over time, probably quicker than usual if they're being peed on regularly.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Ambrose Burnside posted:

if it fits in your freezer, chilling it and then chipping the wax away will prolly separate cleanly and leave much less residue

Hmm, freezer might be a tight fit but maybe cold spray would work...

JEEVES420 posted:

You bought turning blocks, answer is you need to get a lathe :v:

They’re weird for turning blocks, though. Around 10” square and 2” thick. Plus I’m not interested in turning

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

Hmm, freezer might be a tight fit but maybe cold spray would work...

I mean, instead of any weird tricks just.. start carving. I suspect carving would do juuuust fine removing the wax.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anything Bob Flexner-the book linked in the OP is very good. He writes clearly and (in my experience) correctly on a topic that mystifies many woodworkers. He also writes regular columns for "Popular Woodworking" and "Woodshop News"- I know the WoodShop News column at least is available free online, but it is more aimed at professional shops.

Re: Ratpiss, I'm not exactly sure, but film thickness matters a lot in terms of stain resistance vs. standing liquids so I would think several coats of polyurethane or a thick varnish. Both will yellow over time, probably quicker than usual if they're being peed on regularly.

kk thanks

It doesn't super matter I suppose if staining occurs over time, so long as the ammonia-carrying liquid doesn't soak in to the wood before I have a chance to remove it.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I splurged on a big walnut board to make another plant stand for a friend and holy God drat I love this wood it's like cutting through chocolate and my workshop looks like Wonka's factory

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Super Waffle posted:

I splurged on a big walnut board to make another plant stand for a friend and holy God drat I love this wood it's like cutting through chocolate and my workshop looks like Wonka's factory

How much? Pics!? I just picked up a truckload of yew and a 5' chunk of lilac about a foot wide. The lilac is blowing my mind, even the chips smell amazing after squaring off one end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Probably vinyl altogether or some substance that isn't absorptive. I'd go with bartop epoxy if you're bound and determined to go wood. You can probably repurpose some of your own house's larch cladding too.