Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Unlucky7 posted:

In today’s money, $5000 is a little less than half a years pay at the poverty line. Not insignificant but hardly life changing, and certainly near the amount for what is basically comic books, the character.
:Stares in Libertarian:

Sir, they signed a contract. They agreed on the terms of a legally binding obligation. Perhaps they should have negotiated better terms with the foresight that their character would be a literal genre-maker, or perhaps they would have been happier not knowing their intellectual labor produced an entire industry and piles of money. Tut tut tut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Good on yah for admitting your mistake, but it really betrays a complete ignorance to the entirety of the history of creators rights in American comics. I'd suggest you google Bill Finger for some further context, but it might just cause your head to fly off your head body.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Good on yah for admitting your mistake, but it really betrays a complete ignorance to the entirety of the history of creators rights in American comics. I'd suggest you google Bill Finger for some further context, but it might just cause your head to fly off your head body.

Bob Kane did nothing wrong.txt

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I dare you to say that in front of Jim Steranko.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I dare you to say that in front of Jim Steranko.

He's old and has short arms, I can easily dodge his punches.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
But was there a contract

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He's old and has short arms, I can easily dodge his punches.

Never assume Steranko doesn't have a gun on him. Sure he was only planning to punch a decrepit Bob Kane, but dealing with someone younger and faster than him, who knows what he'd do in response. He's the basis for Mr Miracle for god's sake.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Never assume Steranko doesn't have a gun on him. Sure he was only planning to punch a decrepit Bob Kane, but dealing with someone younger and faster than him, who knows what he'd do in response. He's the basis for Mr Miracle for god's sake.

I figure I can toss a rubik's cube at him to distract him and I'll get a good head start.

For real though, he's like 5 feet tall.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Basically, "legal" is not the same as "right".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Also, again, mountains of lawsuits that DC either lost or settled out of court, so "legal" isn't really a correct description of it either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sterenko's a big Trumper so gently caress him too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bruceski posted:

You know one of the things from X-Men comics that stuck with me was when Wolverine stuck up for keeping Kitty on the team, and when Nightcrawler pointed out the problems, Wolverine was like "Yeah, a decision can be logical... and sensible... and still wrong."

Gynovore posted:

You know, now that I think about it, you're right. I went to Wikipedia and found out that Simon and Shuster spent most of their lives in near-poverty while DC made billions. Maybe DC was *technically* in the right, but they should have given S+S something more.

You were right and I was wrong.
While you got just dragging for the original perspective I will take a moment and compliment that you were willing to change your tune.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Something came up in my timeline - is the Fandom Menace comic-related, or just Star Wars-related specifically?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Endless Mike posted:

Jim Steranko always struck me in general as a very talented artist and also a consummate blowhard/bullshit artist, so I can see how the latter half would make Trump appealing to Jim Steranko's self-mythologizing Bill Brasky rear end.

He's been weirdly quiet about Trump in the past year or so too, weird how a tough talkin' two-fisted pistol-packin' wheelin'-dealin' kiss-stealin' magic man who never takes no poo poo from anybody buster isn't standing up for what he believe in of late!

I forgot that the Bob Kane story isn't even that good, either.

There's a few different tellings of it online but the details are always:

Bob Kane and Jim Steranko meet each other at San Diego Comicon. Kane is generally polite but either Kane complains how Steranko was unfair to him in his Batman coverage in the History of Comics, or Steranko hates the fancy lad/half-gay clothes Kane is wearing, or both.

Then as they're leaving, Bob Kane does a mock cuff/punch to Steranko's shoulder/face, in what Steranko interprets as a supreme lack of disrespect from this dandy fop who isn't from the fuckin' mean fuckin' streets like Steranko is. He spends the rest of the day upset, and a sleepless night in agony over the emasculating disrespect that Bob Fuckin' Ascot Wearing Never Been In a Knife Fight Fuckin' Kane bestowed on the badass cerebral assassin Jim Steranko. He can NOT let this besmirchment and dishonor stand.

So Steranko finds him the next day and "bitch slaps" Kane, challenging him to throw a punch. Kane does not throw a punch. Game set Steranko :cool:

And then usually he throws in some sort of thing about Kane disrespecting Finger and Robinson and etc. but the fact that Bob Kane was wearing an ascot and sissy shoes seems to come up way more often than creators' rights in his telling of it.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 18, 2019

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Dawgstar posted:

Something came up in my timeline - is the Fandom Menace comic-related, or just Star Wars-related specifically?

Star Wars, specifically how Disney does Star Wars. I haven’t watched any of their content but assume their grievances are of the “little white cuck ball” variety.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

If you're asking if we're going to discuss Star Wars fans and how terrible they are in this thread the answer is absolutely not.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Yeah that's basically a whole 'nother thread. Possibly even forum.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gynovore posted:

Yes, that's Spiegleman's article, but it still has a lot of wrong, primarily the bit about Siegel and Shuster being "bilked" out of "rewards" for Superman. They were not. They sold the rights to Superman to Detective Comics for a very fair sum of money; $240, which is about $5000 in today's money, a staggering sum for two teenagers in the Depression.

Please contact Elon Musk and commission a rocket to send yourself outside the solar system so you cannot ever post or talk to anyone ever again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Check that person's rap sheet. gently caress off Gynovore.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Steranko is a giant con man so birds of a feather and all that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

The .txt part is pretty much stated on his tombstone.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

The .txt part is pretty much stated on his tombstone.

Kane's tombstone is hilarious. It not only says Bob Kane, Bruce Wayne and Batman are one in the same, but also goes on to claim how Batman was divinely inspired. (And it may have well been, but to Bill Finger.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Kane's tombstone is hilarious. It not only says Bob Kane, Bruce Wayne and Batman are one in the same, but also goes on to claim how Batman was divinely inspired. (And it may have well been, but to Bill Finger.)

You could just post it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bet that sees a lot of poop.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I like how that epitaph thinks we're too stupid to know that Bob is a nickname for Robert.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The american trend of naming your child one thing, but then calling them another is so weird.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oasx posted:

The american trend of naming your child one thing, but then calling them another is so weird.

You seriously think it's an American-only thing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oasx posted:

Ah yes, nicknames didn't exist before AD 1776.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Genuine question, are there any cultures that don't have diminuatives/nicknames/shortenings?

EDIT: Real world cultures, if this is baked into Vulcan or Dothraki lore I don't really care.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nobody in the UK goes by Bob.

NO ONE.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Oasx posted:

You should google all the nicknames for Robert some time, it's totally wild. I think one of them might have even been a British.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Rhyno posted:

Nobody in the UK goes by Bob.

NO ONE.

Except that one guy who's everyone's uncle.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I never said that other countries don't have nicknames, but it is odd how systematic it is in the US. You plan for your child to be called A, therefore you name him/her B.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Oasx posted:

I never said that other countries don't have nicknames, but it is odd how systematic it is in the US. You plan for your child to be called A, therefore you name him/her B.

that doesn't happen at all in the united states, you deranged dane

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oasx posted:

I think people mostly only do that when they're naming their kids after the father or mother, and again, I don't think that's a uniquely American thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

KC Green's real name is Kenneth or something but everyone's called him KC his entire life. So it definitely happens.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I've never quite understood the catholic(?) thing of using a biblical name like "George Paul" but then calling your kid "Joey".

But again I'm like 99% certain that's not exclusive to the us.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My mom had a short name so she gave her children longer names that could have cute nicknames.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SoftNum posted:

I've never quite understood the catholic(?) thing of using a biblical name like "George Paul" but then calling your kid "Joey".

But again I'm like 99% certain that's not exclusive to the us.

It's a ritualistic thing. Baptismal names are, more often than not, the same as one's legal name. Confirmation names are generally different, but no one really uses them for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I guess there's kind of a difference between like

Christopher === Chris
Jennifer === Jenny/Jen
James === Jim/Jimmy

Which I guess count as the "name your kids X and plan to call them Y", versus a "Chatsworth Ellery Jonson" == Bunny Jonson thing.

But this is also ascribing a whole lot of agency to the parents at childbirth, and assuming that the nickname didn't come up organically, either from the family or friends or the person themselves who just really hated being named Chatsworth. I'm not sure (outside of a deep sense of familial obligation/pressure) there's anyone out there going "We will name our daughter Mildred, but from this day forth we shall only ever refer to her as Tina! We're fuckin' scamps!"