Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Richard Bachman you're old and somehow still active come on down you're our third goalie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Picking a guy based on entirely on his name.

Jett Woo

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mentholmoose posted:

Picking a guy based on entirely on his name.

Jett Woo

I want him to succeed entirely so the Canucks can ice a Woo-Hughes pairing.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Since my gimmick is young players and old/bad contracts, the Washington Capitals select Jonathan Quick, a starting goaltender who appears to have been overlooked because he's signed for eternity and couldn't stop a puck last year.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Well, looks like we'll finish round 23 today, hopefully we can get a decent amount into the final round.

Also have to publicly call out El Gallinero Gros, who has picked 23 signed players and has failed to reach the cap floor. For shame.

Next up:
Boomer the Cannon (until 4:40 PM EST)
Good Soldier Svejk
ThinkTank
Thufir (x2)

Skipped:
Jordan7hm (x2)
Jamwad Hilder
EL BROMANCE
lazerwolf
i am the bird

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
looks like player-coach territory

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Boomer skipped. Svejk is up.

Next up:
Good Soldier Svejk (until 6:40 PM EST)
ThinkTank
Thufir (x2)

Skipped:
Jordan7hm (x2)
Jamwad Hilder
EL BROMANCE
lazerwolf
i am the bird
Boomer the Cannon

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mike Reilly is a 7th d-man signed to a cheapish contract and he can put up 10-15 points.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Par Lindholm

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Connor Carrick because I don't really have anyone like him on my back end

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Connor Carrick because I don't really have anyone like him on my back end

If nothing else he's a pretty good twitter presence

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I guess give me Matt Roy and Mason Appleton

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

The final round is underway. Hopefully y'all know what you need. Don't forget to take a coach if you haven't already.

Next up:
ThinkTank (until 8:48 PM EST)
Good Soldier Svejk
Boomer the Cannon
Zodijackylite
mentholmoose

Skipped:
Jordan7hm (x2)
Jamwad Hilder
EL BROMANCE
lazerwolf
i am the bird

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take Swedish national team coach Rickard Gronborg to run my team. He's married to an American and has been seeking an NHL head coaching job for a couple years plus coached and played in the USA for a decade so his transition shouldn't be too difficult. He seems pretty interested in trying new things and playing hockey differently than everyone else, so I figure he'll be able to get the most out of my roster.

Anyways, I'm actually done now for another year. That was fun as always. Thanks Kilza for keeping us on time and not stealing my picks a couple weeks ago.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I will close it out with another Red Wings "prospect", Christoffer Ehn
That gives me:

Gourde - Barzal - Pastrnak
Kempe - Zibanejad - Tuch
Dvorak - Bonino - Rust
Hirose - Pageau - Weal
ex: Ehn, Girgensons

Sergachev - Dumba
Matheson - Savard
Zadorov - R. Andersson
ex:Mike Reilly

Mrazek
Howard

I really kinda hate my defense and goaltending but the forwards turned out okay this year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Okay because I'm a dork here's my team and how I'd set it up:

Tyler Bertuzzi - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Alex DeBrincat
Patrick Laine - Nick Schmaltz - Kaapo Kakko
Noel Acciari - Bryan Little - Drake Batherson
Jordan Greenway - Casey Mittelstadt - Loui Eriksson
Aleksi Heponiemi - Tyler Benson

I missed out on a bunch of skilled guys I wanted to take in the first round by picking so late, so pivoted to building a team built around interchangeable centres and a bevvy of scoring wingers. My top line will almost emulate a checking line in that I expect them to focus on puck retrieval and quick passes out front. All three of those guys are most effective in and around the crease, so that's where I see them doing most of their work. The hope is that other teams will focus too much on Laine and a (hopefully) point producing rookie in Kakko and let up on those guys a bit. I don't expect my depth will score all that much, but they're mostly placeholders until the youngsters in Kakko, Batherson, Heponiemi, Mittelstadt and Benson get a couple pro seasons in. I expect we'll be a low scoring team at first, but that will hopefully change after a couple years once the old guard ages out.

Ryan Suter - Dante Fabbro
Jonas Brodin - Nate Schmidt
Robert Hagg - Derek Forbort
Connor Carrick

Pretty standard puck possession style defence focused on outlet passes over controlled possessions into the zone. Probably a dated style in this day and age, but given my lack of skilled distributors up front I figure my bottom 9 is going to get a disproportionate amount of goals off the rush. I love the way Nate Schmidt plays and expect him to be my #1 for the next 3-4 years assuming Suter slows down as expected. Speaking of Suter, I think I've drafted him three times now. I guess I like how he plays?

Jacob Markstrom
Jake Allen

If Markstrom struggles Allen can play a bit. If Markstrom doesn't want to stay, I'm in trouble.

Powerplay

DeBrincat - Nugent-Hopkins - Schmaltz
Laine - Schmidt

Kakko - Little - Bertuzzi
Suter - Fabbro

Penalty Kill

Who actually cares? I don't. Whoever doesn't suck at it.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Anyways, I'm actually done now for another year. That was fun as always. Thanks Kilza for keeping us on time and not stealing my picks a couple weeks ago.

Hey, no problem man. But I'm not the only one who deserves credit for keeping things on track. Obviously it's a group effort by multiple people making sure everything flows smoothly, with Corn being the most notable person for repeatedly updating who's up and also helping pick for other people multiple times.

Next up:
Boomer the Cannon (until 10:08 AM EST)
Zodijackylite
mentholmoose
Yaya
El Gallinero Gros

Skipped:
Jordan7hm (x2)
Jamwad Hilder
EL BROMANCE
lazerwolf
i am the bird

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Olofsson - Barkov - Granlund
Tkachuk - Stepan - Boeser
Sanford - Necas - Donskoi
Agostino - Prokhorkin - Bracco
Kaprizov - Turcotte

Theodore - Parayko
Gardiner - Dobson
Byram - Pateryn
Brook

Andersen / Shestyorkin

This lineup would be better with Kaprizov as LW1 or at least RW3, but it's young and good enough and will only get better with time. If it flops in year one, even better - the 2020 draft is loaded. I presume it's reasonably expansion draft-proof too. If we hadn't been limited to a mere 23 players I would have taken guys like Boldy and Zegras earlier (and Turcotte later) as there are still plenty of mediocre grinders/AHL superstars left to fill out a roster and a coin flip prospect is always better than a guaranteed replacement-level player.

I also managed to draft zero Canadian forwards/goalies and only non-Ontarian North American defensemen in a pale but significantly less restrictive imitation of Drunk Canuck's all-Euro, anti-Don Cherry gimmick.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 19, 2019

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Seriously sincere thanks to everyone. This is a great way to pass the offseason and it's always a good laugh and a great primer for upcoming prospects

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kilza posted:

Hey, no problem man. But I'm not the only one who deserves credit for keeping things on track. Obviously it's a group effort by multiple people making sure everything flows smoothly, with Corn being the most notable person for repeatedly updating who's up and also helping pick for other people multiple times.

Of course! Thank you to everyone for keeping this running so smoothly, especially those who go the extra mile and update pick orders and such. I always have a blast doing this even if my team always seems so milquetoast at the end. It does wonders to quell the shakes I get from the months of hockey withdrawal each summer.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Alright, now it's time for me to build a Stanley Cup-winning team from all the scraps.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'll pick Todd McLellan to coach

Ehlers-Dubois-Kucherov
Donato-Backstrom-Oshie
Tolvanen-Coyle-Joseph
Fabbri-Wennberg-Caufield
Ex: Denisenko, Suzuki

Nurse-Schultz
Martinez-Wilde
Grzelcyk-Merkley

Hellebuyck
Samsonov

McLellan

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'll pick Todd McLellan to coach

Ehlers-Dubois-Kucherov
Donato-Backstrom-Oshie
Tolvanen-Coyle-Joseph
Fabbri-Wennberg-Caufield
Ex: Denisenko, Suzuki

Nurse-Schultz
Martinez-Wilde
Grzelcyk-Merkley

Hellebuyck
Samsonov

McLellan

This team is very good up front and a potential train wreck on defence. I would watch them.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Boomer is skipped.

Next up:
Zodijackylite (until 12:08 PM EST)
mentholmoose
Yaya
El Gallinero Gros

Skipped:
Jordan7hm (x2)
EL BROMANCE
lazerwolf
i am the bird
Boomer the Cannon

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

This team is very good up front and a potential train wreck on defence. I would watch them.

Hellebuyck and Samsonov aren't winning the Jennings/Vezina any time soon on this team, that's for sure

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

For sure, that's like a top-3 forward corps and bottom 3 defense in the actual NHL, possibly the worst if the rookies struggle and Schultz doesn't rebound.

Let no one say you didn't draft a fun team, and if one of those kids is a #1 breakout it completely changes the story but that looks like a team built to be bored out of the playoffs by the dump and chase

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The Washington Capitals are pleased to announce that we have hired head coach Rikard Grönborg.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
ThinkTank beat you to it

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Zodijacky reverses course and is selecting the legend himself, Mike Keenan.

Mentholmoose up, followed by Yaya.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Detroit takes Kevin Connauton as a 7th D

Final lineup before my last pick which will probably be some random prospect whose name I pull off The Athletic:

Taylor Hall - Elias Pettersson - Craig Smith
Michael Ferland - Logan Couture - Cody Glass
Emil Bemstrom - Joe Veleno - Jordan Eberle
Marcus Foligno - Tyler Bozak - Cody Eakin
Sasha Chmelevski

TJ Brodie - Cale Makar
Quinn Hughes - Travis Hamonic
Juuso Valimaki - Slater Koekkoek
Kevin Connauton

Sergei Bobrovsky
Malcolm Subban

Gerard Gallant

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Valimaki tore his ACL so you may want another D.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dipping from their own pot, the Florida Panthers resign Dryden Hunt. [Skipped pick]

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Picking some dudes for the bottom of the roster

Riley Nash - two years away from 41 points, and last year he started 70% in the defensive zone. Some "veteran presence" in case guys like Logan Brown don't work out as quick as I'd like
Andreas Borgman - smaller, younger guy who plays a pretty physical game and did ok in his time with Toronto in 2018. On a fairly cheap deal; if he works out, great! If not, that's ok too.

One more pick to go

Gallagher - Crosby - Kreider
Tkachuk - Skinner - Hinostroza
Dube - Lowry - Simon
Hayton - Nash - Aberg

scratch: Brown

Karlsson - Goligoski
Risto - Manson
Simek - Pouliot

scratch: Borgman

Jones
Ullmark

Babcock

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 19, 2019

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Literally phoning my last pick in, I’m gonna take Nic Dowd.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

eXXon posted:

Valimaki tore his ACL so you may want another D.

Not in this universe. He's actually very healthy and better than Nick Lidstrom

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Yaya requests to be skipped.

El Gallinero Gros (3:17 PM)
i am the bird
VOTE1
WeaponX
stab

Skipped:
lazerwolf
Boomer the Cannon
Yaya

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Calgary selects Head Coach Dave Tippett

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Detroit takes Yannick Weber as another depth defense rotation.

Final result:

i am the bird posted:

Taylor Hall - Elias Pettersson - Craig Smith
Michael Ferland - Logan Couture - Cody Glass
Emil Bemstrom - Joe Veleno - Jordan Eberle
Marcus Foligno - Tyler Bozak - Cody Eakin
Sasha Chmelevski

TJ Brodie - Cale Makar
Quinn Hughes - Travis Hamonic
Juuso Valimaki - Slater Koekkoek
Kevin Connauton - Yannick Weber

Sergei Bobrovsky
Malcolm Subban

Gerard Gallant

13m or so to spare for loading up at the deadline or re-signing the glut of expensive RFAs over the next 2 years

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
VOTE1 skipped.

WeaponX up (7:26 PM EST), followed by stab, Jonathan Fisk, and Drunk Canuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

With their final pick, the San Jose Sharks select Jonas Siegenthaler