Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

TTG did well enough that its getting a direct to dvd sequel

That might not be counted because it's a DC property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't know if the rights reverted back to Titmouse when CN wrote it off, but it feels like people have been trying to do something with it for a while.

The impression I've gotten is that the MegasXLR rights are in a weird situation where CN owns the characters and someone else owns the show itself.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

The impression I've gotten is that the MegasXLR rights are in a weird situation where CN owns the characters and someone else owns the show itself.

CN wrote it off as a tax loss so they legally can't do anything with it in the US. The rumor was going around that the US government owns it now, but yeah.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't know if the rights reverted back to Titmouse when CN wrote it off, but it feels like people have been trying to do something with it for a while.

Funky Valentine posted:

Plus while Titmouse animated the intro and parts of a few eps, and while a few of the key crew members were major people at titmouse (like titmouse founder Chris Pyrnoski, and Juno Lee), titmouse did not do any preproduction work on the show, that was all CN Studios (with the key titmouse people being CN Studios employees during their time on the show)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Titmouse and CN will come together when a conversation goes like this:

CN Exec: "Well, I think we can agree on one thing when it comes to that show..."
TM Exec: "What?"
CN: "Well, I dig giant robots."
TM "You dig giant robots? Nah, WE dig giant robots."
CN "It'll sell too, because CHICKs dig Giant robots!"
Both: "Nice..."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

I think my memories were totally wiped by the sheer nightmare of incredibly annoying people the show caused (mainly because of Gir) because the new Zim special reminded me of how drat funny the show was.

Yeah I watched the Zim movie since I was very bored this afternoon and I was totally fearing that it would be a bunch of monkeycheese garbage but I had forgotten how good the show was and how much I liked it. Let too many morons obsessed with GIR and the drat doom song soil my memory.

...Of course though, I'm a total sucker for any show/movie where they go through different "dimensions" that are just art style shifts, so I probably would've loved it even if it was actually monkeycheese garbage. I loved during the final parts when it shifted to line art. I kept waiting for them to shift to live action at some point but then I guess hiring live actors for like a 5 second scene would be too silly.

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://tvweb.com/rugrats-revival-nancy-cartwright-chuckie-nickelodeon/

Why did you have to be right? :(

They're not only rebooting the show, Nickelodeon ordered 26 episodes, they're going to have a live-action movie.

Jesus, I only knew about the movie, I didn't know there was a show revival too. I don't understand...

okay, I do understand, nostalgia makes everything seem better. but there's soooo many better things to revive before that.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Would this be the correct thread for looking for a cartoon? A pal on Discord was hit with a rush and they're looking for an old show they used to watch:

Discord Person posted:

Biggest problem is that I don't recall who made them, and not even exact decade they were most likely produced.
One was late 80's/early 90's (I am reasonably sure that it had to be DIC's cartoon since it had Inspector Gadget cameo in one of the episodes)
from what I remember it was Monster of the Week
There were two children and crew of alien critters who tried to stop a different monster from wrecking havoc. Each monster had distinctive power, which was different in how it affected humans and aliens.
For example there was an basilisk type creature which petrified humans that saw it, but petrified aliens that it saw.
Bizarrely enough i can't find a single image from the show no matter how I twist it.
Or maybe I do find them, but because I can't recall how style was meaningfully different from Inspector Gadget's and Heartcliff's that I can identify it.
Like can you remember tv show where aliens looked like assortment of cute animals with masks around top of their heads?
Not sure if I remember this part correctly, but I have vivid recollection that reason why aliens were helping to catch the monsters was because if they weren't caught in time a villain captured inside alien's homeworld would break free.
I actually sorta recall the concept?
I think there was some kind of human capturing camera and there was scene with all the captive victims. With one of them being Gadget?
it was in Russia, so some weird syndication probably applied

This is what they've posted on Discord. Not sure how much of it is a mishmash or if it refers to one show, but there's a bunch of "looking for old cartoons" posts in the first page so it seems like an okay place to post.
If not, just say the word and I'll edit

And for some content, I'm watching Avatar these days. It's very enjoyable.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pakled posted:

I thought the same thing when Zim got depression.

it is a bit of a bummer that to make a reboot work for our generation the formula seems to be 'give the character they like a case of the ol depression and crushing capitalist hell' because that make even a wacky alien relatable.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hmm... So Enter the Florpus

I enjoyed most of the movie, but I felt... unfulfilled by the end? I guess? I wasn't a super big fan of how the end didn't really feel... final. It felt like they ended it in a way that there's definitely going to be more Zim, which as far as I know isn't the case? Everything more or less went back to normal (as normal as can be with the second Dr Membrane and I guess the Tallest are in a pickle). I was hoping Dr Membrane would eventually realize the whole thing was real but they kept that up the entire time and I didn't really enjoy that. It kind of made the thing where he said he's always been proud of Dib feel weaker to me. The first half of the movie also kind of felt like it was taking a long time to get going. I guess I also expected Zim to outright lose but at the end he's just back to living right on the street like nothing happened.

That being said, there were tons of things I did like. I really liked the big twist with Zim tricking Dib with the bracelets and stuff.. The climax of the movie was an absolute blast and a ton of fun, with great animation. Great animation all around. I loved Gaz being much more of an actual character in this and she does a ton of stuff. Her eyes are open all the time too. It felt really satisfying when she got to control the spaceship. And despite the problems I stated up there, the movie still FELT like Invader Zim. It felt like it never left, everything from the tone to the voice acting, to the art style, it all felt true to Zim.

Also Justin Roiland's Morty voice just gets me every time, no matter what role he's in. Lemongrab, Morty, Blendin, this robot, Doop-Doop in Star Vs. It's the same drat voice but it makes me laugh every time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ThermoPhysical posted:

CN wrote it off as a tax loss so they legally can't do anything with it in the US. The rumor was going around that the US government owns it now, but yeah.

Supposedly CN could buy those rights back, indeed there's a rumor floating around that they wanted to do so a couple years ago but someone else had bought them and they haven't been able to find who did it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ThermoPhysical posted:

Don Jr. laughs and laughs as he receives the only whole series set of MegasXLR.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I kinda have an attitude of "let sleeping dogs lie" for a lot of these old IPs. If they had a good run, make it accessible to current audiences and then use resources to pursue new ideas rather than circling old successes.

I would sure like to see what Symbiotic Titan would've become though.

Macaluso posted:

Angry Beavers

That was a good show that was incredibly 90s from being composed mostly of triangles but somehow kept homaging the 60s.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Macaluso posted:

Angry Beavers

Give Richard Horvitz more work!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I kinda have an attitude of "let sleeping dogs lie" for a lot of these old IPs. If they had a good run, make it accessible to current audiences and then use resources to pursue new ideas rather than circling old successes.

Yeah I feel like there's a way higher chance of failure than success when doing show revivals. The fact that we've gotten a few good recent ones are the exceptions to the rule imo.

but then, "circling old successes" is basically Nick's M.O. nowadays, what with making a loving Young Spongebob series and all.\

Macaluso posted:

Also Justin Roiland's Morty voice just gets me every time, no matter what role he's in. Lemongrab, Morty, Blendin, this robot, Doop-Doop in Star Vs. It's the same drat voice but it makes me laugh every time.

:agreed:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Macaluso posted:

Hmm... So Enter the Florpus

I enjoyed most of the movie, but I felt... unfulfilled by the end? I guess? I wasn't a super big fan of how the end didn't really feel... final. It felt like they ended it in a way that there's definitely going to be more Zim, which as far as I know isn't the case? Everything more or less went back to normal (as normal as can be with the second Dr Membrane and I guess the Tallest are in a pickle). I was hoping Dr Membrane would eventually realize the whole thing was real but they kept that up the entire time and I didn't really enjoy that. It kind of made the thing where he said he's always been proud of Dib feel weaker to me. The first half of the movie also kind of felt like it was taking a long time to get going. I guess I also expected Zim to outright lose but at the end he's just back to living right on the street like nothing happened.

I kinda feel the opposite Like, the way it ended can lead to a new season, but it also feels like Technically Fulfilling. The Membrane family is far more loving now. Membrane and Dib have a better understanding with each other, specially with Dib knowing that no matter what, his dad loves him... and that the supernatural is super real and in the household so it might eventually wear down on his dad. The universe is saved from the Irken armada! The Tallest are dead unless more episodes get made, and the only danger left is Zim and a handful of other invaders that no longer have leadership and might even get busted by the prison planet. The adventure continues, but the grander lore has been solved.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TwoPair posted:

but then, "circling old successes" is basically Nick's M.O. nowadays, what with making a loving Young Spongebob series and all.\

I love how obviously they're only doing it because Hillenburg is dead.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
It actually kinda makes me wonder if they're gonna kill the original series to make it, because the guys announced to be the showrunners on Kamp Koral (Vincent Waller and Marc Ceccarelli) are the guys who have been showrunners for the post-2nd movie episodes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

it is a bit of a bummer that to make a reboot work for our generation the formula seems to be 'give the character they like a case of the ol depression and crushing capitalist hell' because that make even a wacky alien relatable.

Rocko's Modern Life was years ahead of its time there.

I kinda forget that for all of his easygoing if cautious pollyanna attitude, once Rocko gets an idea in his head he's really hard to stop, which can actually work in his favour because sheer persistence ignoring everything else is pretty much the only way to accomplish anything.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rocko's Modern Life was years ahead of its time there.

I kinda forget that for all of his easygoing if cautious pollyanna attitude, once Rocko gets an idea in his head he's really hard to stop, which can actually work in his favour because sheer persistence ignoring everything else is pretty much the only way to accomplish anything.

I also liked that because of that, Rocko was himself corruptible. He'd sometimes get a bad idea lodged in his brain and it would bring out the worst in him, also general extreme stress, especially putting those he loved in danger, made Rocko go from sweet lil' Wallaby to psychotic dropbear.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I kinda feel the opposite Like, the way it ended can lead to a new season, but it also feels like Technically Fulfilling. The Membrane family is far more loving now. Membrane and Dib have a better understanding with each other, specially with Dib knowing that no matter what, his dad loves him... and that the supernatural is super real and in the household so it might eventually wear down on his dad. The universe is saved from the Irken armada! The Tallest are dead unless more episodes get made, and the only danger left is Zim and a handful of other invaders that no longer have leadership and might even get busted by the prison planet. The adventure continues, but the grander lore has been solved.

I remember someone pointing out that the Tallest had, at one point, flew through a star so who the hell knows if they're dead or not.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

I also liked that because of that, Rocko was himself corruptible. He'd sometimes get a bad idea lodged in his brain and it would bring out the worst in him, also general extreme stress, especially putting those he loved in danger, made Rocko go from sweet lil' Wallaby to psychotic dropbear.

There was the episode where nail-biting was pretty clearly an analogue to alcoholism.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else notice on Rocko that they went back to the original name for the chicken restaurant? It was originally Chokey Chicken but someone finally got the joke and they changed it to Chewy Chicken in later episodes.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was thinking about how much I'd like to see more Cybersix, if only for a full version of the theme song.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
CyberSix was amazing and I'm still mad those comics never had an English release.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Even as I kid I somehow knew my parents shouldn't see me watch Cybersix.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Netflix and (for some reason) Kevin Smith are producing a He-Man series but instead of a reboot they're billing it as a continuation of the original 80's series.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

muscles like this! posted:

Netflix and (for some reason) Kevin Smith are producing a He-Man series but instead of a reboot they're billing it as a continuation of the original 80's series.

how does this work with she-ra

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to make more He-Man. I'm flabbergasted that they want to make it a continuation of the 80s series

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Oh man I can’t wait for more Fisto!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

YggiDee posted:

CyberSix was amazing and I'm still mad those comics never had an English release.

I heard that the comics were very adult oriented and that a few issues were translated online.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I really hope Mao Mao last for a while because I am enjoying the hell out of that show.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Well this sounds like a bad idea.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Labes for days posted:

Oh man I can’t wait for more Fisto!

One of my favorite bits from the 00s reboot was them trying to figure out a way to imply that Fisto and the Sorceress had sex without ever actually saying they had sex.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

thelaughingman posted:

I really hope Mao Mao last for a while because I am enjoying the hell out of that show.

Mao mao Is both cute and funny and I hope he one day impresses his dad.

Or learns he doesn't need his dad's approval to be an accomplished individual.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Anyone else notice on Rocko that they went back to the original name for the chicken restaurant? It was originally Chokey Chicken but someone finally got the joke and they changed it to Chewy Chicken in later episodes.
Yeah, that was a nice touch. Heffer does count "bottles of root beer" in the special instead of "bottles of beer" in the original episode.

I saw the Rocko special a few days ago and I gotta say, the more I think about it, the more I think it was really phoned in. It leaned way too much on meta humor, there were too many "hey remember this" callbacks with no other jokes or spins added to them, and it was a retelling of the Season 2 two-parter that introduced us to The Fatheads. If this weren't a series with a previous track record of being great, I'd also write off Rachel Bighead as something that's there to give the likes of AV Club and Buzzfeed red meat so that they can crow about its "importance."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

thelaughingman posted:

I am enjoying how much more Psychotic Adorabat seems to get every other episode.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Hemingway To Go! posted:

how does this work with she-ra

Not at all If I mind correctly.

Shame too. Skeletor in that show would just be amazing.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pixeltendo posted:

Mike, Lu, and Og

I wish I’d paid that show more respect for its anti-capitalist messages.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

One of my favorite bits from the 00s reboot was them trying to figure out a way to imply that Fisto and the Sorceress had sex without ever actually saying they had sex.

I don’t even remember that but lollllll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Rocko's Modern Life recap:

Made it about a minute or two in until guy's big weird nipples shoot out and twist around then had to turn it off. Will try again another day.

Invader Zim recap:

I'd say almost perfect for a continuation of the series. Everything that should've happened, happened and everyone's character and arc made sense. It feels like they were not constrained by the time allotment. Their story was going to take about 70 minutes to tell so that's what it was.