Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hoo boy are you in for a ride.

Hoo boy you weren't kidding.

I just finished the prologue for Route C and of all the things I sort of expected from the extended story, that death scene was not one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

E: The post so nice I made it twice

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Aug 17, 2019

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Judgment has Phoenix Wright-style sequences where you’ll be questioning someone and can show evidence you’ve found, selected from a list, to prove or disprove a point in the conversation. One thing I like is that they actually wrote unique dialogue for every piece of evidence, instead of just one generic line for wrong evidence, where the other person specifically shoots down each wrong choice.

I just had one where I didn’t make the connection the game wanted me to between the conversation and the evidence and got like a 10-minute scene where Tak fumbled through explaining why the guy was guilty while the suspect called me an idiot in 8 different ways which was pretty comical

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://i.imgur.com/SJmnJFT.mp4
The dedicated "deflect blasters" button you have in Battlefront II, never gets old.

I'm the blaster shot that gets teleported through space and time to bounce behind Like from the sky.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Evidence suggests that there may have been a second trooper on the grassy space knoll.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That's the one pointless level in the campaign where you kill some beatles, to compensate for having to grind for forty hours in the multiplayer just to unlock Luke.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That's the one pointless level in the campaign where you kill some beatles, to compensate for having to grind for forty hours in the multiplayer just to unlock Luke.

Can't be that hard, 3/4 of them are already dead.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lobok posted:

Can't be that hard, 3/4 of them are already dead.

Paul 2 still counts :mad:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

In Far Cry: New Dawn, one of the allies you can recruit is a dog. He rides in the passenger seat and sticks his head out the window when you drive a car, and in the sidecar when you ride a motorcycle. Also the "talk" prompt is replaced by "pet" :3:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
All games where you can approach an animal and pet them is automatically the best game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It’s getting to a point where every indie game lets you pet a dog/animal/animate object just so they can get a shoutout by @canyoupetthedog
Which is a win-win scenario, really.

https://twitter.com/canyoupetthedog/status/1135928216269598722

https://twitter.com/canyoupetthedog/status/1158818379094011905

https://twitter.com/canyoupetthedog/status/1133406857257791488

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 07:49 on Aug 18, 2019

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Judgment has Phoenix Wright-style sequences where you’ll be questioning someone and can show evidence you’ve found, selected from a list, to prove or disprove a point in the conversation. One thing I like is that they actually wrote unique dialogue for every piece of evidence, instead of just one generic line for wrong evidence, where the other person specifically shoots down each wrong choice.

I just had one where I didn’t make the connection the game wanted me to between the conversation and the evidence and got like a 10-minute scene where Tak fumbled through explaining why the guy was guilty while the suspect called me an idiot in 8 different ways which was pretty comical

Along the same vein: fights in the street can crash through windows into stores and restaurants, and usually trying to shop there after the fight just has the cashier scream at you to get out. There’s a skill called “Blame Transference” that lets you shop even after wrecking the place up, but instead of just leaving the default dialogue like most games would probably do they wrote unique lines where the shopkeeper acknowledges the fight but lets you shop anyway.

My favorite is a foreign-born convenience store clerk with imperfect Japanese who enthusiastically greets you with “Oh! Karate Boy! Welcome!!”

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

U.T. Raptor posted:

In Far Cry: New Dawn, one of the allies you can recruit is a dog. He rides in the passenger seat and sticks his head out the window when you drive a car, and in the sidecar when you ride a motorcycle. Also the "talk" prompt is replaced by "pet" :3:

They did that because they completely hosed up in Far Cry 5 where the dog wouldn't ride in a vehicle at all and you would just leave him behind if you drove anywhere.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

U.T. Raptor posted:

lol, I started and finished the series with FC5 but I kinda want to get that just to go on adventures with a dog friend :kimchi:

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Captain Hygiene posted:

lol, I started and finished the series with FC5 but I kinda want to get that just to go on adventures with a dog friend :kimchi:

If you want that, Metal Gear Solid V is your game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

If you want that, Metal Gear Solid V is your game.

Ha, that's awesome too, but deep down I know that MGS is not a franchise for me :sigh:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I have played two Metal Gear games all the way through. 5 and Revengeance. I recommend both.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BioEnchanted posted:

Something really cool I just noticed about the manual/box art in Star Trek Shattered Universe on the PS2, wherein Sulu gets stuck in the mirror universe and has to survive until he can escape (I can't get past the first level because I'm bad at space shooters due to never playing them):

The Rs are mirrored of course, that's basic, but look at the shape they form:

Looks a lot like Sulu's Excelsior. Or any starship at any rate.

It's aight dude not every 23 on metacritic game is gonna be a hidden gem you can just move on and not make stuff up for posts.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
as someone who is always happy for more luigi representation, i think it was very nice of mario vs rabbids to make him and his rabbid counterpart bar-none the best characters in the game

sure they're a bit on the fragile side but that doesn't matter much when luigi can plug you four times per turn from a zip code away, rabbid luigi can suck out your life force with a headbutt, and both of them skitter around the map like fleas on a hot griddle

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ha, that's awesome too, but deep down I know that MGS is not a franchise for me :sigh:

Five is barely an MGS game, gameplay-wise. Sure you can meticulously plan out a stealthy assault on a base, take down your opponents like a silent, dark predator from the shadows.

Or you can equip your rocket fist and just drive a truck through a crowd of patrolling soldiers, leap out and fire your explosive hand at the first guy to scream, hop on a cargo crate and ride it off into the sky before anyone knows what happened.

Or you can just steal a tank. Almost every issue can be solved with enough tanks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Or you can equip your rocket fist and just drive a truck through a crowd of patrolling soldiers, leap out and fire your explosive hand at the first guy to scream, hop on a cargo crate and ride it off into the sky before anyone knows what happened.

:stare:

Well, that sounds more like my thing. Maybe I'll check it out after all, assuming you can skip through the story. The combo of stealth sneakin' and, um, ample dialogue and cutscenes has kept me off of the series in general.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Captain Hygiene posted:

:stare:

Well, that sounds more like my thing. Maybe I'll check it out after all, assuming you can skip through the story. The combo of stealth sneakin' and, um, ample dialogue and cutscenes has kept me off of the series in general.

Mgsv has very very few cutscenes. The bulk of the story is done by little audio codecs

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Nuebot posted:

Five is barely an MGS game, gameplay-wise. Sure you can meticulously plan out a stealthy assault on a base, take down your opponents like a silent, dark predator from the shadows.

Or you can just steal a tank. Almost every issue can be solved with enough tanks.

I had a hell of a time S Ranking that near the last level where you have to work your way through 3 heavily patrolled depots, before I realized the ranks there are based pretty much solely around time and just air dropped a tank in and just drove it straight down the middle, cleared it in no time that way

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Calaveron posted:

Mgsv has very very few cutscenes. The bulk of the story is done by little audio codecs

What it does have is an hour long intro/tutorial mission that you can't skip!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

kazil posted:

That works well for what it does.

It's replaying it for that S rank that's the killer.

Goon: Pfft tutorial missions *skip*

Same goon: Game Name is bad because it doesn't tell you anything!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

kazil posted:

I was price checking on amazon and randomly had enough credit to grab it for $4. I'll just tell myself that's the part they're paying me $16 to play.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The best part of the explosive fist is hearing Kiefer Sutherland yell "Rocket Puuuuuunch!!!" every time you fire it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can only do the fun stuff after many tedious hours of sneaking around to get enough resources and stuff.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Aphrodite posted:

You can only do the fun stuff after many tedious hours of sneaking around to get enough resources and stuff.

This is super false. Sure some of the more wacky arms are found later in the game but you can very much go balls to the wall with your dog buddy who slits people’s throats his own knife at like hour three if we’re counting the intro.

And there are very very few sections where you have to sneak. As mentioned before you can totally get an S ranking by killing everyone you see as long as you do it quick.

Edit: Better yet, if you get it on the PC you can have your helicopter blasting any song you have on your PC as you have it rocket strafe bases or patrols. Nothing beats having your helicopter blow people up to the majestic sounds of Land Down Under.

moosecow333 has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Aug 19, 2019

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The doctor guy from Dark City is my Keifer Touchstone.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Retro Futurist posted:

I had a hell of a time S Ranking that near the last level where you have to work your way through 3 heavily patrolled depots, before I realized the ranks there are based pretty much solely around time and just air dropped a tank in and just drove it straight down the middle, cleared it in no time that way

There's basically two ways to get an S rank in MGSV; you can either do a perfect stealth run and take as long as you want (though if you take way, way too long it'll kill your score) or you can go super fast. Meticulous stealth runs can be fun and cool; but there's a few missions where you can just screw stealth or any real planning, drop a tank on some guys and just blow everything up to your satisfaction.

Or, if you've played the mission before, know where the objective NPC will spawn in from, ride your horse down there, plant a landmine, ride away then watch from a distance as their car rolls in across the border and explodes.

Aphrodite posted:

That's only if you want to obsessively research everything. You can run around with a water pistol spraying dudes in the face and tackling them to the ground extremely early on. Shoot a man, steel his jeep and crash it into an electrical outpost, only to then find out that men standing in puddles get electrocuted and suddenly snake is a murderer.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Nuebot posted:

That's only if you want to obsessively research everything. You can run around with a water pistol spraying dudes in the face and tackling them to the ground extremely early on. Shoot a man, steel his jeep and crash it into an electrical outpost, only to then find out that men standing in puddles get electrocuted and suddenly snake is a murderer.

Or that your non-lethal run failed because a dude you hit with a tranquilizer shot fell face first in a puddle and oops.

But yeah, you can be stealthy, or run and gun and it's all good. It's also highly re-playable, once you've unlocked more advanced equipment and all the drop zones and so on. There's at least one or two missions that are somewhat difficult the first time around (Depending on how you play them), but you can replay later with and get S Ranks on by never leaving the helicopter and just minigunning the gently caress out of them from the new LZ that may not have been available the first time.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The whole game is, to give light spoilers, about becoming the villain. Lean into it and it not only thematically fits, but you get to play third person far cry where you drop missiles on a base to kill everyone in it, get rewarded for doing it, then clean off the stragglers with a grenade launcher while your chopper plays Kids In America as it guns down anybody you aren't exploding yourself

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

*repeatedly super soakers guy in face while screaming NO IT'S NOT TRUE, I'M THE GOOD GUY HERE*

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i still remember the really awful mission where you have to ride all across afghanistan stopping like 7 different enemy convoys.

but! you could have your horse poop in the road, the driver gets out, you abscond with the tank, and the fact that you got the NO TRACES bonus means that you can get an S rank without even worrying about the other 6 convoys or whatever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i still remember the really awful mission where you have to ride all across afghanistan stopping like 7 different enemy convoys.

but! you could have your horse poop in the road, the driver gets out, you abscond with the tank, and the fact that you got the NO TRACES bonus means that you can get an S rank without even worrying about the other 6 convoys or whatever.

That convoy mission isn't bad, it's a shopping opportunity to get as many vehicles as you want via stealth and vehicle fultons.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

fartknocker posted:

Or that your non-lethal run failed because a dude you hit with a tranquilizer shot fell face first in a puddle and oops.

I thought this was a complaint about Dishonored for a second until I checked up thread.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

marshmallow creep posted:

I thought this was a complaint about Dishonored for a second until I checked up thread.

Stealth games in general, you could do this in splinter cell also, back when it was a good stealth franchise. I didn't buy the last few and I don't even know if they make them anymore.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Soviet logistics officers are confused at how an entire battalion worth of armored vehicles can disappear despite no reports of combat in that region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Olaf The Stout posted:

Stealth games in general, you could do this in splinter cell also, back when it was a good stealth franchise. I didn't buy the last few and I don't even know if they make them anymore.

Dumb story aside, Blacklist is well worth your time. It's a proper Splinter Cell through and through if you want to play it stealthy. There's even an entire branch of side-levels that are pure classic zero-alarm-permitted Splinter Cell.

Double Agent's pretty decent too (The PS2/Xbox version is far better than the X360 version though). Conviction is the only real bad Splinter Cell game.