Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I just have irrigation around and through my fields using those wooden grates over the water.

ty for this protip, i never thought of using those grates like that despite obviously being what they were intended for

Expect My Mom posted:

oh hey I found my copy of DQ6 that I bought and then lost right away

I feel like I always hear mixed things about 6. If my favorites are 5, 8 and 11, how would 6 treat me?

it's the return of the job system but the level limits on it are insanely tight and unless you're grinding them out you'll probably only master like 1-2 jobs in a normal playthrough

it's kind of bad, honestly

e: it's worth one playthrough though as it's interesting story-wise, but i wouldn't go back to it like I do with 5

protip: the level cap for job raising is infinite around the castle where you meet everyone's favorite edgelord terry, so go nuts around there. the protagonist only needs one advanced job mastered to get access to Hero and that'll carry you till the endgame

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Yinlock posted:

ty for this protip, i never thought of using those grates like that despite obviously being what they were intended for

What am I missing here? How do grates help?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Argue posted:

What am I missing here? How do grates help?

you can put them level with dirt blocks and water will pass under them. farmland is automatically watered when water is flowing next to it, so with grates you and your farmers can just walk across your irrigated field without having to jump everywhere

they don't actually add value themselves but they look a lot nicer

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

spacebard posted:

The DS version is cute and the class system is fun to play around with. In the game I played, Carver became a goof-off, fashionista and my heal slime a champion :black101:

It's a very small thing, but I liked how the female characters would respond adorably in party chat after talking to a cat. This is largely absent in 4 and 5, but it seems like every single cat in 6 gets a unique response.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

spacebard posted:

Also, if you're not constantly party chatting you might get lost. Not party chatting all the time is like missing out on 2/3 of the content of the remakes.
So naturally they didn't bother to translate it in the DQ4 remake.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

At least not initially. They learned from their mistake by the time they got to the iOS/Android release, however.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Ofecks posted:

It's a very small thing, but I liked how the female characters would respond adorably in party chat after talking to a cat. This is largely absent in 4 and 5, but it seems like every single cat in 6 gets a unique response.

:yeah:

That and Amos trying to be funny and failing are great.

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, I'd be pretty mad about missing out on all that too.

Didn't the last chapter have party chat translated at first?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ofecks posted:

6 has less responses to npcs in general though, while 5 had unique responses from each party member to pretty much everything

party chat adds a ton of characterization to the kids(for example, they're scared of heights and cling to you whenever you're going up a big tower)

they also ask questions like "do you love me less because i'm not the hero", little girl i was just turned to stone for 7 years i am not equipped for this conversation

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 19, 2019

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Looks like the update for DQB2 that includes the epilogue and a whole bunch of other cool poo poo just got put out :dance:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

psychoJ posted:

Looks like the update for DQB2 that includes the epilogue and a whole bunch of other cool poo poo just got put out :dance:

Is it out on Switch now too? I was seeing posts about it being out on PS4 this morning but no news of it being out for Switch yet. :(

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Fortis posted:

Is it out on Switch now too? I was seeing posts about it being out on PS4 this morning but no news of it being out for Switch yet. :(

oh not yet it seems. dammit

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

trying to fulfill specific room preferences is rough, even just doing 5 for the tablet

everyone either wants a massive room or a tiny cubbyhole filled to bursting with priceless jewels

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Yinlock posted:

trying to fulfill specific room preferences is rough, even just doing 5 for the tablet

everyone either wants a massive room or a tiny cubbyhole filled to bursting with priceless jewels

I just went & recruited random nobodies until I got a few who wanted easy to create spaces (ie natural 'medium' rooms with not much fancy). Made that quest considerably easier.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

psychoJ posted:

oh not yet it seems. dammit

Seeing 1.7 in switch now, though haven't popped in the cartridge yet.

Also like there are like 4 people with same preferences as Malbro.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

switch version just updated

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What's all this about character room preferences? All MalBro talks about is how to make a shared room.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

YggiDee posted:

What's all this about character room preferences? All MalBro talks about is how to make a shared room.

as you make different rooms on the island of awakening your room-ocding ability will be upgraded, the final upgrade lets you see each residents' preferred room size/fanciness/atmosphere

you need to completely fulfill these preferences for 5 residents for a tablet goal

e: basically it's an endgame thing, don't worry about it

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 20, 2019

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm well into the post-game, I just apparently have been spending too much time renovating the pyramid and not enough doing Actual Tablets.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

YggiDee posted:

I'm well into the post-game, I just apparently have been spending too much time renovating the pyramid and not enough doing Actual Tablets.

that pyramid is a hilariously massive time-sink, i'm at the endgame and spent like 2 hours yesterday chiseling a solid gold roof for my hotel

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Was hoping the update would help the fps deathpit situation of my heavily built up farm section but alas, I am booboo the fool.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Yinlock posted:

switch version just updated

I can't figure out how to use that code in the mail, the captain said was some kind of magic spell for a new island coordinates or something but he doesn't have an option for inputting anywhere that I can find.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I can't figure out how to use that code in the mail, the captain said was some kind of magic spell for a new island coordinates or something but he doesn't have an option for inputting anywhere that I can find.

Press + when you're adjusting the parameters for a new Buildertopia.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Since the update dropped, I was hoping to check out the new hair choices but nothing new showed up when I went to the vanity. Are they post game?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

best change of the update: you don't do the whole book animation when learning recipes from the builder's workbench, you just get a B1-style lightbulb then text box

e: i don't mind the book animation but not 800 times in a row

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 20, 2019

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Hmm, not getting the epilogue for some reason..

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is there a list of all the room recipes? I just want to knock them all out so I can go do the epilogue.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
I'm seeing some conflicting info, but I think the 45 number you need to get the epilogue is tablet targets, not room recipes. Also, having seen it.....No Rush folks.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1164175325783154688?s=21

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1164175568176214022?s=21

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
This is probably completely conjecture but I just noticed that the shape of Khrumbul-Dun island is similar to one of the islands in DQ2. In DQ2 it has only a castle on it. I think its called Osterfair in the NES game. That castle might be the ruins you explore during that chapter. Considering where the plot eventually goes in DQB2, that probably isn't the case.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
God I hate the disembodied voice that keeps talking to Malroth, it takes loving forever to finish even just one line and you can't hurry their text up as far as I can tell! It feels like it takes me minutes to get through one of those segments!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm really impressed with DQ11 on Switch. Most of the graphical flare has come across - screen space reflections, PBR materials, etc. Some of the textures have been downgraded, the grass is more aliased than I remember and there's more obvious texture streaming..but it looks amazing and runs really well - nothing like XB2's chugging and shifting to sub-Vita resolutions.

Docked:

Handheld:

Also the demo is real big and reportedly goes up to Gallapagos, though it doesn't have the 2D mode sadly.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Wow that looks pretty good docked for sure. I had the impression a lot of people were complaining about blurriness.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Fortis posted:

Press + when you're adjusting the parameters for a new Buildertopia.

Thanks!

Argue posted:

God I hate the disembodied voice that keeps talking to Malroth, it takes loving forever to finish even just one line and you can't hurry their text up as far as I can tell! It feels like it takes me minutes to get through one of those segments!

:yeah:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Social Animal posted:

Wow that looks pretty good docked for sure. I had the impression a lot of people were complaining about blurriness.

Yeah I dunno, it didn't feel blurry to me.

Here's a stream of about an hour that I did for a friend, still processing at the moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFwWQKatEmA

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It looks a tad blurry around the edges, at least in screenshot, but not even remotely enough to complain about. Then again, I am regularly "That looks fine, what are they on about?" when graphics are complained about. In this case, though, everyone knows the Switch is the less powerful of the systems out right now, so the graphics being slightly less crisp was to be expected, and if it runs fine, it doesn't even remotely matter.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Did DQ11 S add more stuff with Gemma? Because man her whole presence in the story is wildly uneven.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't complain about DQXIS, but it would have been neat if they also added the 3DS's 3D graphical style. That could have actually looked better than it did on 3DS.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Zore posted:

Did DQ11 S add more stuff with Gemma? Because man her whole presence in the story is wildly uneven.

Unless they've talked about it we won't know for sure until..the end of next month? I think it's a worldwide release.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
agh dammit i finished the demo... now the wait begins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Mad Wack posted:

agh dammit i finished the demo... now the wait begins

What point does it cut off?