Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

pooch516 posted:

Without giving away too much, are each of the islands as long and self-contained as Furrowfield?

I just finished the part where you go back and start work on your main island. I have a bunch of optional objectives that I'd like to work on after making the Meadows and and the waterfall, but I'd also like to check out the new island. Does the game encourage you to go back to the main island, or an I going to go off and do ~10 hours on the new island before returning?

On islands after Furrowfield you're free to return to the Isle of Awakening at any time; Brownbeard sticks around at the dock. I don't think you unlock an island's recipes on the IoA until you fully complete it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

pooch516 posted:

Without giving away too much, are each of the islands as long and self-contained as Furrowfield?

I just finished the part where you go back and start work on your main island. I have a bunch of optional objectives that I'd like to work on after making the Meadows and and the waterfall, but I'd also like to check out the new island. Does the game encourage you to go back to the main island, or an I going to go off and do ~10 hours on the new island before returning?

You can head back any time on the second island going forward, you just cant bring items in between.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's funny that Brownbeard's reasoning is that his ship can't handle that kind of cargo... until you beat the island. Then you can carry as much back and forth as you like. And also it's fine hauling back all that stuff you found on the side islands pretty much anytime.

It's like they still wanted to do the thing they did in the first game and struggled to find an acceptable reason but couldn't, so they said gently caress it and rolled with it anyway.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I beat the story last night and now it's time to just build build build.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
A new reprinting of some of the LE metallic monsters figurines was just released. Should I buy more? {y} {n}

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Ahh man those figures look so good. I'm jealous of the ones you've got already.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

I beat the story last night and now it's time to just build build build.

I build between islands, which sucks after I beat a new one and realize the base i spent 10 hours on was actually poo poo because I have all these new rooms/furniture/materials that are way better

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 15, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yinlock posted:

I build between islands, which sucks after I beat a new one and realize the base i spent 10 hours on was actually poo poo because I have all these new rooms/furniture/materials that are way better

Let me tell you about the transform-o-trowel

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Let me tell you about the transform-o-trowel

using new furniture often requires me to enlarge rooms and generally change around my entire layout

I know all about the trowel, i transplanted a shitload of grass from the explorer's shores to the main island with it

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yinlock posted:

using new furniture often requires me to enlarge rooms and generally change around my entire layout

I know all about the trowel, i transplanted a shitload of grass from the explorer's shores to the main island with it

Oh well, fair enough. Just assumed you meant you got nicer looking blocks you would of preferred to use on buildings :v:

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Just finished Dragon Quest Builders yesterday, and I'm excited to get to the sequel once I clear out the last challenges but... Is it important to have the story of DQ2 fresh in my mind? I remember the broad strokes from playing it fifteen years ago but I don't wanna miss out on story beats and references too much. I tore through DQ in a day right before Builders and I feel like it made me appreciate it a lot more.

Should I just power through DQ2 first? Thanks! Sub question for extra credit: Android or GBC version? I have both so that's no issue and I didn't mind the touch screen controls for DQ on Android.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SpiderLink posted:

Just finished Dragon Quest Builders yesterday, and I'm excited to get to the sequel once I clear out the last challenges but... Is it important to have the story of DQ2 fresh in my mind? I remember the broad strokes from playing it fifteen years ago but I don't wanna miss out on story beats and references too much. I tore through DQ in a day right before Builders and I feel like it made me appreciate it a lot more.

Should I just power through DQ2 first? Thanks! Sub question for extra credit: Android or GBC version? I have both so that's no issue and I didn't mind the touch screen controls for DQ on Android.

all you really need to know is covered in the B2 intro: bad guy shows up, heroes beat bad guy, bad guy summons bigger bad guy, heroes beat that bad guy up too, builders 2 begins.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Yinlock posted:

all you really need to know is covered in the B2 intro: bad guy shows up, heroes beat bad guy, bad guy summons bigger bad guy, heroes beat that bad guy up too, builders 2 begins.

Thanks! Love your av by the way.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

SpiderLink posted:

I've never played any DQ outside of the Builders series and the plot makes sense. I'm sure if you have a history with it it takes on some new meaning, but I doubt you'll be lost if you forget characters/events.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I dug down and built a dungeon/jail cell under the pyramid for that creepy Gollum woman to sleep in. She insists on crawling out of there to sleep elsewhere though...

I've actually been having a similar problem, I built Wrigley an underground room on the Isle of Awakening but he won't use it despite it being properly labeled as a private bedroom, instead he sleeps on some pet bedding on the surface near the restaurant I built.

I made him a nice underground garden and everything. :(

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Blaine the Train posted:

I've actually been having a similar problem, I built Wrigley an underground room on the Isle of Awakening but he won't use it despite it being properly labeled as a private bedroom, instead he sleeps on some pet bedding on the surface near the restaurant I built.

I really don't get monster private rooms. They just don't seem to use them, period, even if the game lets you delineate the room specifically for them. I made the same kind of thing for Wrigley with a similar result. I wonder if the pet bed is key; I never thought about using one for him or other monsters. I'll need to try it and see if that makes a difference.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BabyRyoga posted:

A new reprinting of some of the LE metallic monsters figurines was just released. Should I buy more? {y} {n}

But thou must!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Yinlock posted:

so question: is there any way to get my farmers to fill their buckets at the reservoir i built for them instead of journeying to the heart of the amazon rainforest to collect only the freshest morning dew

i built a big old pond in the middle of town you assholes, stop parkouring over my walls to reach the ant-filled river

I just have irrigation around and through my fields using those wooden grates over the water.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yinlock posted:

I hate how I never got basic-rear end cobblestone until after Moonbrooke. I was expecting it as a bonus from one of the village levels back on the desert island and then updated my expectation to one of the Moonbrooke levels and it never came until I was back on the Isle of Awakening.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Yinlock posted:

Make stuff out of the new materials and transfer all the characters that you actually like to them, while sticking all the lame ones in the obsolete rooms.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
In DQB2, on the third island I found a layer of dirt just floating in the air located just of the southern most cliffs. I was able to get to it and walk around on it but can't interact with it. Is there a point to this being here at all or is it just something the devs forgot to remove?

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Actually amazed at how much farmland it makes you build on Furrowfield vs how little you really need to have chests & chests bursting full of food. I have 1 scarecrow sized paddock in the farmlands part of IOA & have filled 3 chests full of veggies & 3 more of cooked food in the kitchens that have like 3 ppl cooking madly & nearly everyone else living there eating twice a day. It's crazy productive.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Well, you're not subsistence farming, you're looking to eventually export foodstuffs. Gotta have some way for the village to make some income.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, monsters seem to prefer pet beds. My killer mechs shack up with my chickens and cows in the barn I built them.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Fortis posted:

I really don't get monster private rooms. They just don't seem to use them, period, even if the game lets you delineate the room specifically for them. I made the same kind of thing for Wrigley with a similar result. I wonder if the pet bed is key; I never thought about using one for him or other monsters. I'll need to try it and see if that makes a difference.

I tried it with both and it didn't seem to matter, which is weird cuz I made a room for Jules back on Khrumbul-dum and he absolutely used it with a normal-rear end bed and all.

I mean, he didn't USE the bed, he just kinda spun in place in the middle of the room, but he used the room.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

I hate how I never got basic-rear end cobblestone until after Moonbrooke. I was expecting it as a bonus from one of the village levels back on the desert island and then updated my expectation to one of the Moonbrooke levels and it never came until I was back on the Isle of Awakening.

the lack of flagstone is fuckin crushing yes

Blaine the Train posted:

maybe he just likes sleeping next to Professor Cluckington

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 16, 2019

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Yinlock posted:

maybe he just likes sleeping next to Professor Cluckington

Speaking of which....what's a good way to keep the ghosts from killing all your chickens? :shobon:

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug

Blaine the Train posted:

Speaking of which....what's a good way to keep the ghosts from killing all your chickens? :shobon:

Keep the area well lit. Ghosts are bothered by light. Livestock are not, and sleep perfectly well in lighted areas.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Blaine the Train posted:

two block high fences with light sources all around with at least two close to the gate door.

or build a ward of erdrick and place it somewhere in the zone.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

two block high fences with light sources all around with at least two close to the gate door.

or build a ward of erdrick and place it somewhere in the zone.

if your base in well-lit the inevitable result of a ghost going for your pets is either them running into a light or pissing off malroth who will keep them occupied for the rest of the night

e: or the hilarious option 3 where the ghost goes too close to your inn in a spot that's not well-lit and is immediately mobbed by a bunch of angry people with swords

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 17, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Playing DQ11 because I'm antsy about the Definitive Edition and don't have much new stuff atm. Got me thinking about Dragonball and then Toriyama's stuff in general. I've only played 5, 8, and 11. Do they have any non-human races that're integrated into things? Like, 5 has fairies and Zenithians but they're kinda secret. I don't remember 8's thing, I just remember the elf with the harp. And 11 has mermaids and yeah, every so often there's a monster that doesn't fight you and just talks but I was wondering about that because you look at Dragonball with the talking cat and dog people and everything while they're kinda lacking here so I was just missing them because I only played 3 games of the series.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't think of any examples at the moment.

But if you're thinking of more Dragon Ball references, Goku fights his Grandpa Gohan who is disguised in a rabbit mask just like Eleven goes on to fight his grandpa disguised in a rabbit mask.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Dwarves are there sometimes in some of the games, and X has a bunch of playable races but they're all more Namekian style that dog-people style, that is, they're humans with a weird skin color and one or two non-human features.

Celestrians in 9 are technically non-humans too, I guess.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can't think of any examples at the moment.

But if you're thinking of more Dragon Ball references, Goku fights his Grandpa Gohan who is disguised in a rabbit mask just like Eleven goes on to fight his grandpa disguised in a rabbit mask.

No, not references like that, just thinking about Dragon Ball like how you you've got the humans and then the Saiyans. And the Namekians, and the dogmen that no one calls out as weird. And Korin, Puar, Turtle, the Oni in Snake Way, whatever King Kai's race is a lot of diversity there.

I had to watch someone's stream of the game before the Luminary basically having Goku's origin story clicked with me since he's found in a river by Grandpa Gohan Chalky. I wish they used more designs too. Tons of Goku and Gohans walking around and a couple of Trunks too but aside from maybe(it's been a bit since I played 8) Marcello not a lot of Vegeta around and I doubt there's a Broly walking around anywhere.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RareAcumen posted:

No, not references like that, just thinking about Dragon Ball like how you you've got the humans and then the Saiyans. And the Namekians, and the dogmen that no one calls out as weird. And Korin, Puar, Turtle, the Oni in Snake Way, whatever King Kai's race is a lot of diversity there.
Very few of the DQ games have non-human races just hanging out with humans like in DB. 4 has elves and dwarves IIRC, but they live in their own towns and have very little contact with humans. 7 has a town where halflings and humans live in relative harmony, and there's generally a town with friendly monsters. In fact, it's a plot point in DQ Heroes (the first Warriors game) that all of the previously peaceful monsters in the world just suddenly went apeshit and nobody knows why.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
3 has racist elves too.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

8 has (postgame spoilers) the Dragovians and 10 has a fair chunk of nonhumans, quite a few of them are playable. L

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

-Fish- posted:

8 has (postgame spoilers) the Dragovians and 10 has a fair chunk of nonhumans, quite a few of them are playable. L

10 is actually all about the nonhumans, the humans were sealed off at the start of the game as part of the story and the players had to undo that

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
oh hey I found my copy of DQ6 that I bought and then lost right away

I feel like I always hear mixed things about 6. If my favorites are 5, 8 and 11, how would 6 treat me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Expect My Mom posted:

oh hey I found my copy of DQ6 that I bought and then lost right away

I feel like I always hear mixed things about 6. If my favorites are 5, 8 and 11, how would 6 treat me?

There's a vague sense of finding yourself similar to 5 that loses players among the vignettes similar to 7 and fetch quests in the mid-game. The party is fairly unchanging throughout, which may get boring compared to 4.

The DS version is cute and the class system is fun to play around with. In the game I played, Carver became a goof-off, fashionista and my heal slime a champion :black101:

Also, if you're not constantly party chatting you might get lost. Not party chatting all the time is like missing out on 2/3 of the content of the remakes.