Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
A park near us has two Chargepoint chargers that recently got installed. They offer the first hour for free and then it's $2.25 for each hour after.

I couldn't mentally figure out how much charge one hour would give us; we have a 220v (something like that) installed at home, but the Chargepoint was speaking in kwh, so it wasn't clear to me how to convert or what the kwh of our home charger is to compare with the park ones, which I think were 6.something kwh, unless my memory is way off.

We just have the plug in Ioniq right now, so an hour would presumably be pretty good; at home, it takes a little over two hours to get the complete charge, but since we're thinking of getting a new full EV in the near future, I was curious how much charge the free hour would provide. We'd generally charge entirely at home, but if we were at the park anyway, a free hour might be nice to take advantage of.

Thinking about the future though, as soon as EVs get even a little more popular around here, I can see having only two spots being completely inadequate. Is a lack of enough public chargers an issue for states where EVs are more popular?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
The vast majority of charging should be at home overnight. Work provided should be a distant second. Public should be very far below even that.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So really don't even worry about public chargers? It just seems weird to not take advantage of them but it's honestly hard to figure out how we would.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A Strange Aeon posted:

So really don't even worry about public chargers? It just seems weird to not take advantage of them but it's honestly hard to figure out how we would.

I have a Tesla 3, and don’t even bother pulling up to ChargePoint chargers anymore. They’re frequently out of service, and the requirement to log in or swipe a membership card is klunky as gently caress. They’re also generally priced to compete with gasoline, instead of a reasonable rate.

That’s if they’re not irrationally priced altogether. I stayed at a hotel in Savannah that was $2.25/hr for the first two hours, and then $25/hr (!?!?) after that. Which was super annoying, since I was counting on getting a full charge that night and skipping a supercharge session the next day.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
rental housing in the US:

pre:
Structure Type 			Households 	Percent 	
Single-Family 			14,947,238 	35% 	
2 to 4 Units 			7,626,626 	18% 	
5 or More Units 		18,857,573 	43% 	
Until more landlords get on board with adding even something as basic as a smattering of 120v outlets in parking stalls, public chargers will have to grow with EV expansion.

I don't have an urban/rural breakdown handy, but the kind of density that leads to 5+ unit structures also lends itself well to commuter EVs

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Use one if you find it (just dont park there for 3 hours if you need like 10 miles to a full charge).

Just try not to put yourself in a position where you drive to the mall and absolutely NEED a charger to be open because that leads to bad times.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
With the Ioniq, we always have the gas to fall back on, just trying to prepare for the philosophy of having a full EV. Since with home charging, the 29 mile range has meant we've only gotten gas twice and that was when traveling on vacation, any full EV with around 100 or more mile range seems like with charging once or twice a week at most, we would be okay.

What's the philosophy behind public chargers in general? It seems anyone serious about EV would reach the same conclusions, that home charging is required, so is it more just for the perception of being a bit more forward facing?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've got 5k miles on my Volt, and even with ~60 miles EV range I have not used a public charger. You should actively avoid it, if you can charge at home...the cost difference is significant. I can charge for like $2-3 an hour at a public site, or I can fully charge the battery for less than that at home. It's not "taking advantage of them," they should be the backup.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I see public L2 stations purely as outreach. It allows you to be visibly electric and spreads consumer awareness. At any decent adoption rate it becomes unreasonable to expect there to be enough public L2s to be able to depend on them, and if you can't depend on them you can't plan around them, and if you can't plan on them they may as well not be there.

I'm sorry for the ensuing 3O post but L3 chargers are the only public chargers that make sense due to the smaller average charge session. The turnover gives you a better chance at seeing an open spot.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Public L2 is significantly cheaper to install so businesses will be able to use them as advertising. Level 2 costs a few thousand to install, level 3 costs $50k or more. Often they aren't even priced competitive with gas, they're like 3-4x the price in some cases (looking at you, blink). My complex has some chargers that are $2/hr which is ~$8/gal for my volt.

But home ownership also cannot remain a requirement to have an ev if they are to grow. I feel like at some point the pricing for charging (maybe just level 3) will become regulated and taxed like gas is.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

A Strange Aeon posted:

With the Ioniq, we always have the gas to fall back on, just trying to prepare for the philosophy of having a full EV. Since with home charging, the 29 mile range has meant we've only gotten gas twice and that was when traveling on vacation, any full EV with around 100 or more mile range seems like with charging once or twice a week at most, we would be okay.

What's the philosophy behind public chargers in general? It seems anyone serious about EV would reach the same conclusions, that home charging is required, so is it more just for the perception of being a bit more forward facing?
L2 is 100% the result of commuter EVs with lovely range. If you have a 60 mile range you need to charge on longer daily trips. If you have a 300 mile EV you don't need to charge, ever, in daily operation and on trips L2 is too slow to bother with (you need a ton of power ( superchargers or 150kw+) to road trip effectively).

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
I disagree, high amperage L2 chargers make a real difference at hotels, bars, and restaurants, especially because I want to be there and not at the Supercharger next to the Applebee's in Albuquerque

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
PG&E had a program paying the entire design and install cost for public L2 chargers in bigger parking lots before the recent bankruptcy stuff, which would've gone a long way towards making wide EV adoption more feasible.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I’d been looking to go electric for some time – 1.5 years in earnest – and thought I’d quickly post my process of getting ready/buying. TLDR: I got a Model 3, and am really liking it.

My previous car was a 2011 Golf 2.5, which did pretty well on gas, ~28-30Mpg, and was nice enough.
My needs:
• I currently have a 40 mile daily commute for work (20 miles each way).
• We take occasional trips to family 65 miles away, so 120 miles round trip.
• I also drive to bike trails, so more range (150 miles or more) and an easy hitch receiver install would be preferred.
• I’d also like the car to be a full ICE replacement for most anything.

Doing a bunch of research I found three sets of options that optimize for cost/benefit:
1. Buy a 2017 leaf, or older i3, or other ev compliance for my work commute, and keep my current Golf for other trips.
Pros/cons: Cheap! I can get a 30kwh 2017 leafs (the best value IMO in this option) in my area for $11-13K that would be fine for my commute and will probably be fine for most of my MTB rides, but if we get rid of the Golf we would have to accept we couldn’t do certain things at the same time (visit family – bike in the mountains)

2. Buy a used Bolt
Pros/Cons: Relatively cheap, and with an excellent range. This was a strong option, as in my area we were getting used 2017 Bolts in the $26K region, with low(ish) miles. They went down as low as $23K with higher miles but those were out of warranty. I drove a (new) Bolt at a local dealer, and noted two of the issues I had read about, the seats are bad, and the brakes were mushy, otherwise it seemed fine. I could have lived with both if the price were right. I should also note that the dealership, which was the highest rated Chevy dealer nearby, was not in great shape. The sales guy was nice enough, but didn’t know anything- the car was at a low state of charge, to the point where it limited power during the test drive – and the dealership looked like nothing had be updated since the 1990s. In terms of counterparty risk, I think I give equal odds to Chevy and Tesla going forward.

3. Buy a Model 3
Pros/Cons: Spendy. Didn’t really want to spend that much on a car. But did a test drive, and it really was very impressive in terms of the driving feel and comfort over the other options and my current car. I did a bunch of ‘what if I wanted to go here?’ experiments with ‘A Better RoutePlanner’ and pretty much everything I could think of wanting to go to are possible & quite easily with the supercharger network, that would be much harder with other options (like the Bolt).
I also didn’t see much of an advantage to the long-range versions of the model 3, as there’s only a small set of locations where their range is truly advantageous over a few minutes at a supercharger. Like even if you go from Seattle to San Francisco the difference is like 60 minutes. Like if your destination is 150 (rt) or 300 miles, the range is helpful, but otherwise not a huge advantage.

4. Other options. I didn’t really look to deeply at the other options(Kona, Niro) as for me they would be nearly as much or more than a Model 3, and not as good a fit. Also I would consider a newer Leaf (2018-19) if I could have gotten them down to like $22K, but alas Washington State’s tax break isn’t that good.

Upshot – I got the Standard Range Plus in Black (+$750 paint option, oof!) delivered yesterday, and am really enjoying it so far. It is easily the fastest, best handling & fun car I’ve ever owned. In the end, the ability to have a complete replacement for my Golf in terms of capabilities was the thing that sealed the deal. The ‘luxury’ of the TM3 was actually a disadvantage, as I would have absolutely picked a version without the glass roof or vegan leather for spending a few thousand less, but now that I have those, I enjoy them both.
Haven’t use the autopilot much – will need to gain confidence and understanding in it, but adaptive cruise control is gonna be super helpful I can already tell. I like the big screen, and don’t mind all the controls being on there too much. Though I wish the interior lights and the wipers did have buttons.
I preferred the Tesla delivery model, over others – though I’ve only bought two other cars new (Audi and VW). It took almost no time, and was super easy.

Charging:
So I have a house with a garage and driveway, so I have a good charging location at home. Unfortunately, the electrical panel in my house was on the opposite side of the house, with no way to route wires internally. As I knew I was going to buy an electric car, I was able to pre-plan this part and I was able to find a good electrician. We worked a way to run conduit out of the house at the panel, up the side of the house into the attic, across the house in the attic, down the side of the house, into the ground and through the concrete into the garage wall. This was expensive and time consuming, and I had to do a lot of research to make sure I was having the right stuff installed, as while the electrician I hired was good, he didn’t know much about the specifics of EVSEs. We ended up installing a NEMA 14-50 plug, and (and two additional 20 amp circuits, as the garage was under-powered anyway)
This, I think, will be the major blocker for most folks. Having to find a contractor, and get a thing done is pretty tough if possible at all.
Been charging at level 1 while I wait for the 14-50 adapter from Tesla. I also need to figure out what EVSE I’m going to get – yet another decision to make!

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

I’d been looking to go electric for some time – 1.5 years in earnest – and thought I’d quickly post my process of getting ready/buying. TLDR: I got a Model 3, and am really liking it.

Great post! Press the button on the left stalk to make the wipers wipe once, and it will also make the intermittent wiper UI appear on the screen. Then you can quickly turn on the wipers. It’s not perfect, but better than swiping or fiddling around for the big wiper button.

Aino Minako fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 19, 2019

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Aino Minako posted:

Great post! Press the button on the left stalk to make the wipers wipe once, and it will also make the intermittent wiper UI appear on the screen. Then you can quickly turn on the wipers. It’s not perfect, but better than swiping or fiddling around for the big wiper button.

Ah! this is useful. I thought the button was only for squirting/cleaning the windshield.

Here's some pics too. Why not?
The car after the first drive

My current charging set up in my garage.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Ah! this is useful. I thought the button was only for squirting/cleaning the windshield.

Here's some pics too. Why not?
The car after the first drive

My current charging set up in my garage.

Get the 14-50 adapter from Tesla and it will charge plenty fast for your needs.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

jabro posted:

You don't get the 14-50 with the charger anymore??

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

jabro posted:

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Been charging at level 1 while I wait for the 14-50 adapter from Tesla. I also need to figure out what EVSE I’m going to get – yet another decision to make!

ROJO posted:

You don't get the 14-50 with the charger anymore??

They stopped bundling it with the UMC sometime earlier this year, and as a result the UMC that comes with the car also doesn't have it.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Speaking of adapters, what's the best way for me to charge a CCS car from a 14-30 outlet?

I'm getting by on level one charging in my garage just fine, but if it's reasonably cheap, why not step up the charge rate? Just seems way more complicated than "buy adapter from Tesla site for under $50" so I haven't figured it out yet.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

James Baud posted:

Speaking of adapters, what's the best way for me to charge a CCS car from a 14-30 outlet?

I'm getting by on level one charging in my garage just fine, but if it's reasonably cheap, why not step up the charge rate? Just seems way more complicated than "buy adapter from Tesla site for under $50" so I haven't figured it out yet.

If you have the outlet already then it’s as easy as “buy adapter from Tesla site for under $50”. You can use the mobile charger that came with your car.

Qwijib0, I don’t read well.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jabro posted:

If you have the outlet already then it’s as easy as “buy adapter from Tesla site for under $50”. You can use the mobile charger that came with your car.

(Except my car isn't a Tesla)

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

James Baud posted:

Qwijib0 James Baud, I don’t read well.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

James Baud posted:

Easy enough....

Since you said 14-30 outlet I can only assume you are in North America..

You just need a J1772/Type 1 EVSE that plugs into a 14-30 outlet. There are a few options on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=14-30+evse&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

James Baud posted:

What EV do you have? The on-board charger basically dictates what you can do amperage-wise, and I'm going to hazard a guess that it's a 7kW unit since your car also has CCS. Unlucky people like 1st Gen "S" Leaf owners and Volt owners are stuck with 3 kW units, which makes buying expensive chargers kinda useless unless you're also planning on the next EV as well. :v:

With a 14-30 outlet you're limited to 24A with the 80% safety factor, and you have stuff like the ClipperCreek LCS-30P which is a 24-amp 240v EVSE made by a solid manufacturer who has been around for years, but it's also like $500. If the 120v thing is treating you well, I'd consider like a $200 Turbocord which will charge at 3.8kW vs the 5.7kW of the 24-amp CC model.

If you're planning on buying a bigger EV down the line and you plan on being in your place for a long time, I'd consider getting an electrician to wire up a 50A service to where your current outlet is located and snagging a 40A EVSE from any manufacturer of your choice, as that gives you basically 9.6kW to mess with which is more than the upgraded Leafs, Bolts, i3's, and Volts have the capability of using at this point. (Bolt and Leaf owners please let me know if I'm full of poo poo because I haven't read the specs in the cars for a while and have no idea if they went beyond 7.2kW with the newest models). IIRC the Model S and Model 3 come with 10kW chargers and you can option out a Model S to have a monster 20kW on-board charger setup, and I know of at least one goon who has a 100A setup here (can't remember who) but that dude/lady is taken care of for life.

It's a stupid game of balancing your EV's needs, your available power supply, and what you want to do in the future to get the least price. If you're renting or something and aren't planning on moving for a few years, IMO get the Turbocord or another 16A 240v EVSE. Also, the Chevrolet Volt and Bolt EVSEs that come with their cars are secret 240v EVSEs that are made by Clipper Creek, so if you find someone selling one of those for cheap you can make an adapter with some stuff from Home Depot or Lowes and enjoy 240V, 16A charging.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I bought Kia's science experiment over the weekend, the Niro PHEV with a 9kWh battery and 1.6L gas motor.

The battery is small enough that it can fully recharge from empty with its included L1 charger during a reasonable overnight (9 hours). Is there any reason for me to even consider a L2 charger installation at home? I'd need a new 240V circuit run, and the charger itself also. I did notice it running cooling fans while charging, which makes me wonder if a 2 hour L2 charge might be better for the car long term because it would only have to charge & cool for 2 hours every night rather than 7-9.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

I bought Kia's science experiment over the weekend, the Niro PHEV with a 9kWh battery and 1.6L gas motor.

The battery is small enough that it can fully recharge from empty with its included L1 charger during a reasonable overnight (9 hours). Is there any reason for me to even consider a L2 charger installation at home? I'd need a new 240V circuit run, and the charger itself also. I did notice it running cooling fans while charging, which makes me wonder if a 2 hour L2 charge might be better for the car long term because it would only have to charge & cool for 2 hours every night rather than 7-9.

I personally wouldn't unless your electric panel is in the garage making it cheap to do so, but make sure the outlet you're using is in good shape and be mindful of what else might be on the circuit.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Twerk from Home posted:

The only thing an L2 charger would get you is more flexibility. Your turnaround time is shorter so if you needed to go back out after returning home you would be on battery instead of using the gas motor. Either L1 or L2 should be fine for longevity.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
We got an L2 installed for our Ioniq plug in for the flexibility and with the idea that we'd be getting another EV at some point, so being able to charge the Ioniq in a few hours so the full EV could get enough time in seems like it would work for us.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Regarding needing more than single-family units as an entryway for mass EV adoption. My apartment complex offers free L2 charging through 2 SEMA Connect stations, which isn't bad considering the only other EV in my complex is a Bolt so it's usually always open. I did notice the other day that the station was on Plugshare for a while but I guess someone petitioned to get it off since its technically a private station. The only problem is that I've noticed an M3 using one of the charging spots, whom the driver works at the offices across the street :argh:, as well as a model S that lives in the townhomes connected to the apartments, who steals our precious electrons as well.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

The only problem is that I've noticed an M3 using one of the charging spots, whom the driver works at the offices across the street :argh:, as well as a model S that lives in the townhomes connected to the apartments, who steals our precious electrons as well.

A Whole Foods around my neighborhood has four plugs available on some ancient GE EVSE setups that still work really well, but they made a huge error in putting the plugs in the row nearest the door. We regularly see people parking hybrids and other non-EV cars in the spots because of the convenience and proximity to the door.

Thankfully, we rarely shop there and it’s like 3 miles from our place so there’s never a need to plug in, but yeah if I had an older battery-only EV and needed the charge I’d be pissed. I never plug in anywhere thanks to my stupid-weak 3kW Charger in the Volt and also that whole gas motor backup thing, but it is kinda silly to see a 100D or Model 3 LR plugged into those ports.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ripoff posted:

3kW Charger in the Volt

I used a public charger once.... And only because it was a prime parking location.

At a store the last couple days before Christmas, and the parking lot was completely full.. It was either park 1/2 mile away for free, or pay $1.50 per hour and park basically right by the front door.. There are 3x L2 and 2x L3 spots there and nearly always empty, so I didn't feel too guilty. Managed to get 16ish miles worth in the slightly over an hour I was there.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Fwiw the Model 3 standard range / plus don't have 11 kWh charging, only LR or performance. The Kona ev is adding support for three phase along with a 11 kWh charging unit for the 2020 model year. Polestar 2 will also have 11 kWh. Not many other cars though.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

stevewm posted:

I used a public charger once.... And only because it was a prime parking location.

At a store the last couple days before Christmas, and the parking lot was completely full.. It was either park 1/2 mile away for free, or pay $1.50 per hour and park basically right by the front door.. There are 3x L2 and 2x L3 spots there and nearly always empty, so I didn't feel too guilty. Managed to get 16ish miles worth in the slightly over an hour I was there.

Oh yeah, I don’t blame people for opportunity charging when you need to. I just get bent when people park in the spots and don’t even bother connecting the free plugs.

I’ll admit that when I park to get lunch at a local shop (that’s right beside a ballpark), the parking is $5 an hour but the chargers are free. If there’s no one else charging in the 6 charger spots, I’ll plug the Volt in. Hell, I’m paying to park there, may as well make a few cents of electricity back.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Westy543 posted:

The Kona ev is adding support for three phase ... for the 2020 model year.

I would assume this is only for Euro/Type 2 markets though.. Given that the J1772/Type 1 connector used in North America can't support 3-phase.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Has anyone else here ordered a Model 3 Performance since the most recent price cut?

They keep pushing my delivery date back and I haven't been assigned a VIN.

Going on 4 weeks now. Not sure how common that is (I'm in California). I'm assuming they might just be flooded with orders or something.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

SerCypher posted:

Has anyone else here ordered a Model 3 Performance since the most recent price cut?

They keep pushing my delivery date back and I haven't been assigned a VIN.

Going on 4 weeks now. Not sure how common that is (I'm in California). I'm assuming they might just be flooded with orders or something.

Yep, I ordered my M3P- from inventory last month, and picked it up 2 days later. Maybe it takes a while for custom orders.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Yep, I ordered my M3P- from inventory last month, and picked it up 2 days later. Maybe it takes a while for custom orders.

Hmm that might be it. I wanted the white interior and apparently those are less common.

How do you like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

SerCypher posted:

Hmm that might be it. I wanted the white interior and apparently those are less common.

How do you like it?

I really like having the performance with 18” wheels, the added comfort and efficiency really makes a difference.