Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Think about the people so desperate they visit Kinkos. It is the perfect recruiting ground for your ophidian mystery cult. Slam poets printing off chapbooks, people looking for missing pets (that your enormous ghouled cobra ate) yard sale people, all perfect fodder for Set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
See if you can identify the perp and then write an expose on how they smashed your stuff, with commentary on what an rear end in a top hat they are for doing that. Reference how owned they are in the horoscope for their clan in issue #2?

Definitely keep making more though

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Now I wanna play a Brujah Anarch conspiracy theorist with a pirate radio show where he yells about conspiracy theories.

"Now this is good ol Jimmy Bob the Brujah, here on Anarch Airwaves. If you don't get what I'm talking about, then this ain't for you.

Now I herd someboddy smashed Frank Wall's printing press. Seems like some kinda Pyramid thing to me. Maybe they didn't want their secret horoscopes revealed?

poo poo, you ever wonder if these guys are even really Kindred? Not in a racist kinda way, but like... We all got cursed way back when, ya know? Like biblical times. And these guys, they are way more recent, they made themselves with magic or some other bullshit. So are they like free of the curse? Like without the kindred original sin? Then they make friend with the Blue Bloods and slip into the big Camarilla and do all these horrible things and become just like us. Just like them commie blokes talking about how capitalism corrupts everythin'.

Anyway, I saw this video of a monkey pantsing a harpy at an Elysium in Brazil and it'S the funniest thing I saw this week."

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
God i've loving had it with this game. (V5 LA By Night campaign) My anarch Brujah Alleycat feeder left a mortal bleeding out in a nightclub bathroom yet somehow there's always cameras around with CSI enhance enhance enhance technologies in dark club hallways. Essentially the ST has a retaliation grudge against my character. Every mortal I come up against somehow has like fire ammunition for some reason while every other vampire in the coterie gets to lazily feed off their herd being grape fed laying on a dais. Sorry, ranting. My vampire is brought before a tribunal of Barons for masquerade breaching and essentially the ST peeked at my lore sheet, saw I had 1I nt and 1 resolve before making the skillcheck to not loving hit final death a hard 5 difficulty that went to 6 because the ST/barons didnt like my argument to stay alive (I solo'd the first campaign boss and am essentially the best damage dealer in the group) when I told them that they needed me in the upcoming war with the camarilla. The ST then told me my argument was poo poo and used dominate with a whatever fuckuoff huge dice pool to make my character sit down (against my will btw) and had another player character member of the coterie cut my brujahs head off. Im fighting tears at this point as they rob my character of his items and the ST sends me a new character sheet saying "lol maybe play better next time. you really need to quit loving up" over PMs. THEN the only other character in the coterie who stood up for me is killed by a werewolf in the next scene. How convenient

It's just really frustrating spending 6 months on a character getting him to where he needs to be and having it taken over nothing

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
This sounds like an ST you probably don't want to deal with anymore. Comes off like a real pissy bitch if he's intentionally targeting you and mocking you about it.

gently caress'em. No game is better than bad game.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
how many times did you gently caress op

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Blitz7x posted:

God i've loving had it with this game. (V5 LA By Night campaign) My anarch Brujah Alleycat feeder left a mortal bleeding out in a nightclub bathroom yet somehow there's always cameras around with CSI enhance enhance enhance technologies in dark club hallways. Essentially the ST has a retaliation grudge against my character. Every mortal I come up against somehow has like fire ammunition for some reason while every other vampire in the coterie gets to lazily feed off their herd being grape fed laying on a dais. Sorry, ranting. My vampire is brought before a tribunal of Barons for masquerade breaching and essentially the ST peeked at my lore sheet, saw I had 1I nt and 1 resolve before making the skillcheck to not loving hit final death a hard 5 difficulty that went to 6 because the ST/barons didnt like my argument to stay alive (I solo'd the first campaign boss and am essentially the best damage dealer in the group) when I told them that they needed me in the upcoming war with the camarilla. The ST then told me my argument was poo poo and used dominate with a whatever fuckuoff huge dice pool to make my character sit down (against my will btw) and had another player character member of the coterie cut my brujahs head off. Im fighting tears at this point as they rob my character of his items and the ST sends me a new character sheet saying "lol maybe play better next time. you really need to quit loving up" over PMs. THEN the only other character in the coterie who stood up for me is killed by a werewolf in the next scene. How convenient

It's just really frustrating spending 6 months on a character getting him to where he needs to be and having it taken over nothing

storyteller sounds like a bitch, and the other players are cowards for not calling him on his poo poo.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Ditch that game, buddy.

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
your st sounds like a loving sociopath

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Start new game (you don't have to DM but it might break the ice)
Gracefully cancel en masse on his game
Optional: "You really need to stop loving up :)"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blitz7x posted:

No gaming is better than bad gaming. Make tracks.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Blitz7x posted:

Have you considered not feeding on people and leaving them to die in a night club?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Oberst posted:

Have you considered not feeding on people and leaving them to die in a night club?

Have you considered not blaming a player for their power-tripping GM being a dick?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Oberst posted:

Guys we found the ST.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Oberst posted:

Here's a little secret of roleplaying: poo poo's not real, Jack. It's made up. It's all fake. Ain't no chain of in-world cause and effect here, because world is whatever the shotcaller says it is. In a game deliberately rigged so that your characters make mistakes and there are consequences for their actions, where Blitz picked "I assault people violently and then run away" from the book's own list of suggestions, it's not some crazy begging-to-get-the-boot thing that a character might kill somebody and leave evidence. Then what the NPCs do about it is the storyteller's decision, and there's an entire magical rainbow of possibilities between "there are no consequences for carelessness ever" and "we roll dice once or twice and if you're not lucky you're out of the game and we laugh at you."

Storytellers and players interested in keeping each other invested and having fun (or interested, or engaged, or however it is you like to describe what you seek from roleplaying) improvise ways the ball keeps rolling. Now you owe some crazy blood debt and you're in over your head, how are you gonna pull off this ridiculous thing they want you to do to pay for your mess? Some other vampire stood up and vouched for you and you have no reason why but you can tell you're trading one complication for another. Or they can't use a night club's security camera footage to pinpoint you and there's just general trouble on the streets for an unsolved murder.

It's not a competitive sport. You're not a sore loser for your inferior Vampire: the Masquerade skills.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 19, 2019

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
As someone running a LA-based Anarch game:

gently caress that ST, what an rear end in a top hat.

There were a hundred better and more interesting ways to handle a dead body in a club, and he just used that as a cudgel for what looks a poo poo load like a real-life grudge. Why would the Barons of Los Angeles give a solitary poo poo about a single, relatively mundane Masquerade breach? Why would they execute someone for a simple Masquerade breach when like you said, the Cam are breathing down their necks?

Holy poo poo as a ST that really pisses me off.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Wait why are we assuming this is the only gently caress up? Why would the st say stop loving up so much if it's just 1?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Yikes. Bunch of monsters in here that love to attack people and leave them bleeding to death with their dicks out

You've all gained a stain

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Oberst posted:

Yikes. Bunch of monsters in here that love to attack people and leave them bleeding to death with their dicks out

You've all gained a stain
Don't sign your posts

Metapod posted:

Wait why are we assuming this is the only gently caress up? Why would the st say stop loving up so much if it's just 1?
It still sounds pretty dick-rear end even if this is Bobby Brujah's seventh tearoom murder

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I mean if you are breaching left and right its only natural that you would be killed to save the masquerade. That's why I would like to know how many times the op hosed up

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

this is why the masquerade lore sucks rear end. the sabbat does open air blood festivals every 3 weeks, but the camarilla is big brother and will show up and kill people for minor breaches of vampire etiquette.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
What kind of campaign are you playing that getting caught killing someone in public is a minor breach?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Metapod posted:

What kind of campaign are you playing that getting caught killing someone in public is a minor breach?

I'm pretty sure the official books are just chock-full of vampire murders being put down to "gang warfare; they must have been on the PCPs."

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Metapod posted:

I mean if you are breaching left and right its only natural that you would be killed to save the masquerade.

Nobody cares what's the most likely thing to happen in the game world. If you get into a shootout outnumbered with just two handguns you are vanishingly unlikely to survive. We don't watch John Woo movies to see the guy who does that die. The story's about him, so he's an unusual case.

Is it possible to be disruptive to the rest of the players' fun and immersion by going too loud and messy? Sure. What do you do when that becomes a problem? You talk it out like adults. Hey, your character's behavior is kind of killing the tone we're going for and forcing everything to be about cleanup and we kind of want you to tone it down, would you? And you find a compromise where everybody's having fun again. You don't turn to the logic of the game world to be a neutral and just arbiter. The game world is fake, doesn't exist, and beyond the players' experience, doesn't matter. It becomes an excuse for passive aggression.

Is it possible to be disruptive to the integrity of the in-game setting and internal world logic? Who gives a poo poo. Only the experience of the players (Storyteller included) matters. If that's being damaged, see above. If it's not, loving blow the Prince up with a car bomb and go on the lam as lunatic vampire vigilantes, as long as you're enjoying yourselves.

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm pretty sure the official books are just chock-full of vampire murders being put down to "gang warfare; they must have been on the PCPs."

One of the most oWoD things I remember reading is... I think the Orphan's Survival Guide or something from Ascension? Whose sample locations and settings included a nightclub that converted for one night every week into an Eli Roth joint where rich people paid to torture and murder people kidnapped off the street. I don't think there was even any supernatural reason for the weekly Hostel party. Sometimes the World of Darkness is just written as an everyday ghoulish blender.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 19, 2019

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Actions have consequences and sometimes death is the consequence

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Metapod posted:

If death is the consequence make it a good death, if you're not a hack. Make it 'the enforcers are closing in, poo poo's getting real' and give them a Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid moment. Make it worth their time to show up or they won't show up again. And they'll be in the right because they tried to play a cool game and you hit them with some incredibly uninteresting insta-death bullshit. What's the point of those consequences? What story are you telling, in this Storytelling system?

The worst kind of ST is the kind who decides 'consequences' means 'I get to screw you then mock you' and ignores that they made literally all of it up. None of this was predetermined.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Having a member of your coterie kill you is a good death imo as it shows the seriousness of breaching the masquerade. Also again the op still hasn't said how times he hosed up.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
The ST inarguably handled that in the worst way possible but the line "the best damage dealer in the party" gave me pause.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Metapod posted:

Having a member of your coterie kill you is a good death imo as it shows the seriousness of breaching the masquerade. Also again the op still hasn't said how times he hosed up.

It's only a good death if it's presented well. And you know who the final arbiter of a good death is? The player of the character getting killed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Joe Slowboat posted:

It's only a good death if it's presented well. And you know who the final arbiter of a good death is? The player of the character getting killed.
an ST who later pms "lol maybe play better next time. you really need to quit loving up" to the player of the dead character is 100% not even trying to give them a good death, too

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Zereth posted:

an ST who later pms "lol maybe play better next time. you really need to quit loving up" to the player of the dead character is 100% not even trying to give them a good death, too

Yeah. I've had characters die where they died precisely because of their escalating series of bad decisions, but I worked with the player to make sure they were aware of those bad decisions ahead of time, got the dramatic sendoff they wanted (not necessarily what the character would have wanted and there's sometimes some back and forth about what's fitting), and most importantly weren't sore about it OOC. It made for a better game in general and kept them enthused to keep coming back.

I had one Exalted player whose entire playstyle was 'my Solar has no ability to conceive of themselves as in the wrong and I don't even think about how they could possibly be anything but justified ' and we could all laugh about it afterwards, even after the entire rest of the party got the character killed on purpose, because we were not antagonistic outside the fiction.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Metapod posted:

No you see Masquerade breaches dont matter because:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

the player choose his death by loving up

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
If I were the player in that instance, I would have simply scored sufficient Exceptional Successes to overcome the ST's railroad. Really telling how that's not what OP did. . . .

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Sounds like the storytellers were deliberately giving that player a hard time because they made a combat character, which is really no more than I'd expect from anyone running VtM.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Ferrinus posted:

Sounds like the storytellers were deliberately giving that player a hard time because they made a combat character, which is really no more than I'd expect from anyone running VtM.

I ran a combat monster Gangrel in Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. The funny part about this is is that it's totally a valid playstyle, but combined with relative lack of stealth options and going for Intimidation meant that quite a bit of quests ended with someone dead and the cops/security guards/etc chasing me down. Combined with my low Humanity making some conversation options frenzy, and it was very much like those carefully-planned Shadowrun missions going tits-up forcing you to go loud and dumb.

Also the fact that the game was rushed meant that you had to do combat near the end, so the last parts of the game were quite easy.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The World of Darkness is a setting where the capitol lawn is a giant refugee camp and the Sabbat burned down the goddamn White House. One more dead clubkiddie isn't really going to make waves.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Loomer posted:

The World of Darkness is a setting where the capitol lawn is a giant refugee camp and the Sabbat burned down the goddamn White House. One more dead clubkiddie isn't really going to make waves.

Is this before or during the End Times Gehenna thing?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
While there is a lack of sufficient context to really say for sure, it sounds like everyone in that situation has messed up, but the ST most of all because the onus is on them ensure that all players know and agree upon the game's tone and general narrative thrust prior to even starting to play it and at every point during it. If you don't have that shared agreement, all you have is a ticking time bomb.

Honestly, it's one of the most basic principles of running a game and vanishingly few people do it.

Edit: Also they were a petty dick when it did all finally blow up, which elevates them from merely bad at understanding how to handle a shared narrative and into actively a bad person.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Libertad! posted:

Is this before or during the End Times Gehenna thing?

Before! The World of Darkness is a Bad Place to Live. Here's just a few of the hosed up things that happened in the 90s alone:
40 people die in a Pentex experiment in Westborough, New York.
Civil war breaks out in the Anarch Free State between vampire and mortal gangs.
Goddamn Beowulf's Beast infests a mortal man who goes around killing and eating people in Chicago.
At least 437 people are killed in the Chicago War.
A mass terror attack in Mexico City breaks the masquerade wide open, prompting daylight purges of all supernatural entities by the Technocracy, with a death toll in the thousands for mortals.
Gangs openly rule the streets of Washington DC and the national guard have to patrol the streets. the DC naval yards are bombed by vampires.
San Francisco has a cataclysmic earth quake and 'red-eyed creatures' roam the streets, openly killing and eating people.
Magadon secretly creates a new super-amphetamine that hosts a rage bane, prompting a spike in violence.
The entire town of Evanstown, Connecticut is wiped out by the Crazies.
The whole 1999 East Coast Crusade deal.
New Dijon.
Pentex forces deploy nerve gas during the Seattle WTO riots.