Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Acebuckeye13 posted:

They actually had the original prop on display at Comic Con!

... It did not age well.

Who would have thought that they used real marshmallows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I think the bag on the counter was cut off in 4:3?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They probably shoulda had a stay puft ad play on tv at some point.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why is Dana, a single woman in NY, buying so many marshmallows anyway?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

banned from Starbucks posted:

Why is Dana, a single woman in NY, buying so many marshmallows anyway?

Oh my god... Does she actually eat that stuff?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I mean, Pete says she has a lot of junk food. She probably makes epic sundaes at 2 in the morning.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Dana is a big-time coke head, like her boyfriend that's doing a nasal rinse after the rehearsal.she gets the munchies sometimes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, it was the 80s.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

They probably shoulda had a stay puft ad play on tv at some point.

That’s a great idea. Like you catch a glimpse of it right before their ad starts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Remember when Ray answers the phone at his bookstore? "7pm on week days, midnight on Saturdays". I'm assuming he's telling whomever the closing times of his store.

Am I the only one who took this as a subtle dig at Ray, and how he likely has no life?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0pnTm-KK9k

I feel this should be posted again.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Remember when Ray answers the phone at his bookstore? "7pm on week days, midnight on Saturdays". I'm assuming he's telling whomever the closing times of his store.

Am I the only one who took this as a subtle dig at Ray, and how he likely has no life?

Probably keeps it open late to sell books to all the weirdos hanging out on St. Mark’s on a Saturday night

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
My best to the Covenant.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

deoju posted:

My best to the Covenant.

Coven. As in witches.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

Coven. As in witches.

:ghost::respek::witch:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Interesting. I always remember it as ‘My best to the covenant’ too, but watching the clip, he clearly says coven.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Gatts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0pnTm-KK9k

I feel this should be posted again.

Christ, trying to rickroll people into watching one of those lovely Epic Rap Battles skits. Even for a goon that's low.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Random GB3 theory: the house/farm depicted in the teaser is Ray's mom's house he took out that third mortgage on.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My bold prediction is that GB3 will be really good

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

My bold prediction is that GB3 will be really good

I don't really have high hopes. We're in this era where studios know they can make these really mediocre franchise films successful by relying on fan goodwill to carry them. We'll see an accurate Ecto 1 and proton packs etc, there'll callbacks to the first film, and that'll be enough for a lot of people to go "hmm yes this was a good movie", despite the lifeless script and directing.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I kind of just wish they would spend the effort into massively retooling the lady Ghostbusters into something good and run with that instead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I kind of just wish they would spend the effort into massively retooling the lady Ghostbusters into something good and run with that instead.

Not sure what the point would be, like you said it would take a major overhaul of everything that they did in GB'16 to make it work, and everyone involved in that movie seemed like they made the movie they wanted to make(i.e. a non-stop improv quipfest). It just wasn't even close to what Ghostbusters fans wanted, but I think it was a case of trying to force a square peg into a round hole, so why use the same square peg again?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Not sure what the point would be, like you said it would take a major overhaul of everything that they did in GB'16 to make it work, and everyone involved in that movie seemed like they made the movie they wanted to make(i.e. a non-stop improv quipfest). It just wasn't even close to what Ghostbusters fans wanted, but I think it was a case of trying to force a square peg into a round hole, so why use the same square peg again?

I liked the cast, the characters, and the tech designs (as well as the idea of the all woman team) but thought the writing and directing sucked. I wish I could see it done better with a tighter creative vision.

I am just not on board with the "we tried something new and failed; this time nostalgia harder" approach. If I want that much nostalgia for Ghostbusters, I will just watch the old movie.

But of course I don't even know what the new movie will really be yet and may be singing a different tune later.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The editing also sucked.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

The editing also sucked.

In a way, the editing may have been what killed it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Like I hope this new movie doesn't suck and the 2016 one failed on its own merits, the misogyny only played so much of a part. But part of me is still gonna feel bad if the safe Bros-busters that goes out of its way to do fanservice does great and the movie that took a chance and had talented actresses is the outlier flop.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

safe Bros-busters

It's two girls and two boys all in their early teens.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Avril Lavigne posted:

...wait, is one of them in a wheelchair

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Avril Lavigne posted:

In a complete meta-circle, a popular image from the movie will be them trick-or-treating as the Stranger Things kids

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

In a complete meta-circle, a popular image from the movie will be them trick-or-treating as the Stranger Things kids

Finn Wolfhard cosplaying as himself?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kevyn posted:

Finn Wolfhard cosplaying as himself?

:thejoke:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

But part of me is still gonna feel bad if the safe Bros-busters that goes out of its way to do fanservice does great and the movie that took a chance and had talented actresses is the outlier flop.

Bill Murray as Martin Heiss: a ghost debunker
Dan Aykroyd as taxi driver
Ernie Hudson as Bill Jenkins: Patty's uncle
Sigourney Weaver as Rebecca Gorin
Annie Potts as Vanessa

yeah no fanservice in that movie whatsoever

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

banned from Starbucks posted:

Bill Murray as Martin Heiss: a ghost debunker
Dan Aykroyd as taxi driver
Ernie Hudson as Bill Jenkins: Patty's uncle
Sigourney Weaver as Rebecca Gorin
Annie Potts as Vanessa

yeah no fanservice in that movie whatsoever

I've commented on it before, but it was honestly distracting just how much fanservice there was in GB16. The callbacks throughout the film were endless and often brought the action on screen to a grinding halt, so the audience could be constantly reminded of a different, much better film. Like, seriously, just look at the list of references, it's absurd. It would have honestly been a much stronger film if they hadn't been so obsessed with emulating the original.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just watching GB1 again and I noticed (or maybe I'm just reaching) that the ear pulling in GB2 is maybe a callback to when Peter does it to Ray before they go through with the 'get her' plan in the library.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Get over here Francine

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

In a way, the editing may have been what killed it.

The lack of direction certainly didn't help any either.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Get over here Francine

STOP that!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

GB16: once you pop, you can't stop!

You get a car, and you get a car!

How do you know it was from the back?

My SIDES

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
The power of Patty compels you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

GB16: once you pop, you can't stop!

You get a car, and you get a car!

How do you know it was from the back?

My SIDES

I don't want to necessarily defend GB2016's script (really, my only problem with it), but taking lines out of the first two and just posting them would have a similar effect. I mean, I legit laughed at Holtzman and the 'our president is a plant' line near the end. And as much as the constant riffing and over-the-top ridiculousness didn't fit, I have to be honest... I laughed at the whole 'my cat' 'Mike Hat' conversation. It was super dumb, but whatever.

I found GB2016 a fine Paul Feig movie, but just a horrible GB movie.