Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The sapphire pulse cooler is meant to be pretty good.

It's good on the reference clocked 5700, anything + or X and it's too weak.
Also never buy an OC Navi card they are laughably poor clockers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

whodatwhere posted:

Now that some non-blower 5700 (XT)s are coming out, are there any do's or don'ts in picking a particular brand? (keeping slot width in mind)

German reviews of the Powercolor cards:
https://www.computerbase.de/2019-08/powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-test/
https://www.computerbase.de/2019-08/powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-xt-red-devil-test/

These seem really good.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

I've been meaning to ask you this for almost a decade now, and im sorry GPU thread for asking it here: how do you remember how many L's you have in your name? What does it mean? Do you get upset when you accidentally log yourself out and have to tap the L key as you count up to the number in your head?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

sauer kraut posted:

It's good on the reference clocked 5700, anything + or X and it's too weak.
Also never buy an OC Navi card they are laughably poor clockers.
The Pulse is fine on a 5700 XT too, it's just not going to be silent.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The sapphire pulse cooler is meant to be pretty good.
Yeah it's about on par with the mid-range coolers of MSI (Evoke) and XFX (THICC2), but those are 2.5-slot designs. The Pulse is 2 or 2.1 slots so it could be interesting for thinner SFF cases.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bad news: Assetto Corsa's RTX path has been shelved for now

Good news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91kxRGeg9wQ

:pcgaming:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well that might have sold a card.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

So mojang scrapped their graphical overhaul and instead made it Nvidia exclusive. That's going to cause some disgruntlement. Curious that they didn't show off torch lighting

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
It looks infinitely nicer than vanilla but having played minecraft with decent shaders for years now I am kinda meh about it, the visuals don't look dramatically better and I am reasonably sure rtx shaders will be much slower as well.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

TheCoach posted:

It looks infinitely nicer than vanilla but having played minecraft with decent shaders for years now I am kinda meh about it, the visuals don't look dramatically better and I am reasonably sure rtx shaders will be much slower as well.

It says something about where modern graphics are that the most impressive RTX/ray tracing demos are Quake 2 and Minecraft.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I fully believe that No one should be buying a 20xx card for RTX. There are videos showing that a 1080ti can brute force ray tracing as good as a 2060 does it with RTX cores.

That’s not enough to justify it. If you just need a new video card then ok, but if you really want RTX, the next gen 30xx cards will probably be worth it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Wacky Delly posted:

It says something about where modern graphics are that the most impressive RTX/ray tracing demos are Quake 2 and Minecraft.

Tbh I have never looked at it that way, but I find this hard to argue with

I guess it helps that q2 is retro now too

And Minecraft is evocative of the same nostalgias as well imo

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So Kunos whines about RTX resulting in very low framerate, whereas EA, with the ostensibly defunct Frostbite team working on the engine, can actually get 60fps-ish on BF5 in Ultra at 1440p on a non-super 2070?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
They seem to only be going for a 60 FPS target with this generation of cards. You could get 200 FPS with no RTX features, 60 FPS with them enabled, or stick with a last gen card and get 120 FPS with no RTX.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Wacky Delly posted:

I think that's largely due to both titles not really using any modern lighting rasterization methods. It speaks to the relative 'ease' of providing such a scene via ray tracing where the rays do the work, whereas other games aren't as impactful because they have a team of designers hand-tweaking the lighting/shadowing for each level.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 19, 2019

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I think that's largely due to both titles not really using any modern lighting rasterization methods. It speaks to the relative 'ease' of providing such a scene via ray tracing where the rays do the work, whereas other games aren't as impactful because they have a team of designers hand-tweaking the lighting/shadowing for each level.

Oh I agree. Modern techniques are "good enough" that turning RTX on in them is technically impressive, but not a huge leap like it is on the older titles. I'm still looking tok upgrade come April or so (and crossing my fingers for 21xx by then)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Minecraft is really perfect for showing off raytracing because there's no other way to get that quality level in a game like that. Q2RTX is cool as a proof of concept but the static nature of the world means you could get like 80% of that quality with no rays by just pre-baking everything, but no amount of hand tweaking and baking will help when the environment and lighting are completely dynamic and user generated as they are in Minecraft.

RT shines the most in cases where baked lighting fails, but with most games still being designed around the limitations of baked lighting it's going to be a while before that potential gets realised. Until then RT is just better shadows/reflections.

Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o07aWS7JpeQ

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 19, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

repiv posted:

RT shines the most in cases where baked lighting fails, but with most games still being designed around the limitations of baked lighting it's going to be a while before that potential gets realised.

This is the most important point. Games have almost all shared a common lightning aesthetic since Doom 3's stencil shadows failed to catch on. Raytracing opens up a whole other world of different lighting styles again, and in the coming years we'll hopefully see a resurgence in visually interesting games as a result.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Combat Pretzel posted:

So Kunos whines about RTX resulting in very low framerate, whereas EA, with the ostensibly defunct Frostbite team working on the engine, can actually get 60fps-ish on BF5 in Ultra at 1440p on a non-super 2070?

Isn't this largely because the RTX implementation in BF5 isn't "pure," but rather only applies RTX functions to a fairly small subset of the scene, versus stuff like Q2RTX that's doing the entire scene via raytracing?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kunos cant make Assetto Corsa run right in VR, let alone with RTX

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

Isn't this largely because the RTX implementation in BF5 isn't "pure," but rather only applies RTX functions to a fairly small subset of the scene, versus stuff like Q2RTX that's doing the entire scene via raytracing?

Every modern RTX title is some kind of ray/raster hybrid, nobody expected Kunos to deliver a pure pathtracer ala Q2RTX.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

JayzTwoCents did a pretty good review of the PowerColor Red Devil card, it's pretty solid & benchmarks showed it beating the 2060S & in some cases equaling a 2070S. Not a bad value considering the cost can be anywhere from $70 to $100+ cheaper than the 2070S depending on vendor.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Oh yeah, Nvidia actually showed a roadmap for raytraced games at SIGGRAPH the other week. Their (likely optimistic) estimate is that full Q2RTX-style pathtracing in new games won't happen until 2035.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yGWMBCRMKOZwJCWQ6e9HkDjVRz9CkYp8/view

They're playing the long game :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
.....AMD, loving don't let me goddamn down on this, NVidia just opened up an Intel-sized opening for you to punch upwards.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

None of these cards are thicc enough. Disappointed.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
For perpsective, hardware transform and lighting in consumer level cards showed up almost precisely 20 years ago (GF1). Programmable vertex/pixel shaders 18.5 years ago (GF3). The distance to 2035 is almost as great as we are now from those milestones.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ugh and here I am with a G-sync monitor, I'd love to sidegrade to an XT from my 1080

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Metro Exodus looks incredible with ray tracing. I didn't even mind the really long dialog scenes in the train since I was enjoying just staring at the sunlight coming through the window curtains.

The lighting and shadows in Shadow of the Tomb Raider was already pretty good however so I just turned it off rather than deal with the RTX performance hit.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I fully believe that No one should be buying a 20xx card for RTX. There are videos showing that a 1080ti can brute force ray tracing as good as a 2060 does it with RTX cores.

That’s not enough to justify it. If you just need a new video card then ok, but if you really want RTX, the next gen 30xx cards will probably be worth it.

Yeah I think there's a little truth to Jensen's silly rant in that four years from now you probably will want your card to have RTX but you sure as hell won't want it to be a Turing card.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

If nvidia is willing to wait for RTX support to be widespread, then I'm happy to wait just as long before getting one of their GPUs again.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

SwissArmyDruid posted:

.....AMD, loving don't let me goddamn down on this, NVidia just opened up an Intel-sized opening for you to punch upwards.

I wouldn't hold my breath. AMD has already stated that they're also working on raytracing tech for their next-gen cards and consoles, so it seems like they've bought in, as well. Except they're already at least one or two generations behind, and they're still struggling to catch up on basic raster performance, let alone raytracing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

DrDork posted:

I wouldn't hold my breath. AMD has already stated that they're also working on raytracing tech for their next-gen cards and consoles, so it seems like they've bought in, as well. Except they're already at least one or two generations behind, and they're still struggling to catch up on basic raster performance, let alone raytracing.

This is fine. Everything about what you've said is fine. Until those slides, I've been hearing that NVidia was going to continue to be shackled by RT and Tensor cores until 2021, but if they've got that silicon dragging them down until it becomes actually desirable in 2024?

It means that whatever lead Nvidia presently exhibits now definitely won't be widening, probably won't stay static, and will probably narrow.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

have fun with your RTX cores you cowards, I will be using my dinnerplate GPU to play CS 1.6

https://www.servethehome.com/cerebras-wafer-scale-engine-ai-chip-is-largest-ever/

how about instead of solving the problem of defects on a silicon wafer by chopping the wafer up into smaller parts, we just make a repeating mesh interface and deactivate the chunks with defects? yup. also it thermally expands so bad that they had to develop a new kind of PCB connection, lol

quote:

• 46,225 mm2 silicon
  • 1.2 trillion transistors
  • 400,000 AI optimized cores
  • 18 Gigabytes of On-chip Memory
  • 9 PByte/s memory bandwidth
  • 100 Pbit/s fabric bandwidth
  • TSMC 16nm process

(meant for big iron inferencing/deep learning and not home use obvi)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
There’s really no reason you couldn’t use the same approach with GPUs though. It’s all a repeating SM pattern, barring artificial design limitations (cough shader engine limit).

I guess it comes down to a question of how much yields hurt you vs the actual cost of the silicon... but if the tile size is small enough yields should be OK. Same basic math that a chiplet uses - just minus the interposed.

I remember a processor startup called Adapteva used a similar approach for a DSP-like thing called Epiphany that seemed to be aimed at stuff like radar processing. They had a grid of 8x8 and in the later models 16x16 and maybe 32x32 processing elements with a rectangular grid network interconnect that could be addressed by MPI. The big ones never yielded well (despite the relatively modest size) so they just turned off the bad ones and you’d have to route around them.

There was a Raspberry Pi-like board called Parallella that you could play with them on.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 20, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

AMD, you seeing this? This is your chance.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
15kW TDP :aaaaa: I want to see the cooler, and shock factor of that figure aside they are claiming 33-50x better density and perf/watt than using GPUs for the same workload.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel like I keep telling friends about the 1660 and they don’t listen to me. Some of whom have no schedule to move on from 1080p.

Personally, would not spend a red cent on RTX at this moment in time. And I have a Gsync monitor so I’m going to be stuck for a while.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MaxxBot posted:

15kW TDP :aaaaa: I want to see the cooler, and shock factor of that figure aside they are claiming 33-50x better density and perf/watt than using GPUs for the same workload.

Chiplet GPUs (for consumers) have always kinda implied that clocks would have to come down, because while current GPUs are comfortably far away from the 1440W limit that can be delivered continuously on a standard north-american household 15A peak/12A continuous 120V circuit, they are not massively far away either. With a single-digit multiple of the current die area, you would hit that limit. Something like four 2080 Tis or Titans under full load would do it.

The point of chiplet GPUs is that you can economically get a much bigger piece of silicon, which you then run closer to the efficiency sweet spot (say, 70% as fast at 40-50% of the power). You don't run them full tilt.

Unless, you know, you're a crazy startup aimed at the datacenter and your customers won't mind running a dedicated 3-phase 220V circuit to each compute device. And a half dozen 2 kW mining PSUs to step it down, too...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 20, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

True gamers will setup their PCs in place of their clothes dryers.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I’m looking forward to using a nema 14-50 connector for my next PC, and power bills in the thousands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
This owns