Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
all coppers are blinded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Varkk posted:

Pretty sure after that the Allies realised the importance of using code names that didn't match anything to do with the project.

They didn't. It took decades before the US intelligence community switched to random operation names after a bunch where the people picking names clearly picked things related to what the operation was about.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Log082 posted:

if it worked that way, PhD students would be lining up to injure themselves in new and creative ways

Have you never met a PhD student? They're constantly finding new and creative ways to injure themselves. I know I did.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Wish my eyes had been burned out after reading the comments.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Have you never met a PhD student? They're constantly finding new and creative ways to injure themselves. I know I did.

Sounds like grad school, alright. And also some of my former students as a divemaster :v:

e: courtesy the schadenfreude thread:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Crossbracing? Nah, she'll be right ...

https://i.imgur.com/YX1aKM5.mp4

Edit: a warning, I just followed up the url and the Insta page that gif comes from has a bunch of gory videos

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 18, 2019

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Grundulum posted:

And 50-70 years later forgot it with “Operation Desert Storm”, “Operation Iraqi Freedom”, and “Operation Enduring Freedom”. (Though the cynic in me argues that these names actually did have nothing to do with their factual outcomes. :v:)

those are the code names you choose when you want everyone to know what you're doing (or in the latter two, when you want the cable news to lie about what you're doing)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

FuturePastNow posted:

those are the code names you choose when you want everyone to know what you're doing (or in the latter two, when you want the cable news to lie about what you're doing)

quote:

“Operations in which large numbers of men may lose their lives ought not to be described by code-words which imply a boastful and overconfident sentiment, such as ’Triumphant,’ or, conversely, which are calculated to invest the plan with an air of despondency, such as... ‘Massacre,’” Churchill wrote.

"Intelligent thought will readily supply an unlimited number of well-sounding names which do not suggest the character of the operation or disparage it in any way and do not enable some widow or mother to say that her son was killed in an operation called ‘Bunnyhug’ or ‘Ballyhoo.’”

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

FuturePastNow posted:

Yeah, no one actually cared about the code names for those because they were things the US straight up told everyone we were going to do. The code names were strictly for PR purposes.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Operation Anime Pillow

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Cojawfee posted:

They didn't. It took decades before the US intelligence community switched to random operation names after a bunch where the people picking names clearly picked things related to what the operation was about.

That's just because the US is stupid. The British immediately absorbed the Wotan lesson and all of their Cold war projects were a random color plus a random word, like Blue Peacock (nuclear land mine) or Orange Harvest (radar warning system).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You can be clever without being too obvious. The deception plan around Operation Overlord was called Operation Bodyguard, from a comment made by Churchill at Tehran, "In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

other people posted:

Operation Anime Pillow

No the idea is to make the code name NOT explicitly describe the project

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

Shot in the face with a 76 GeV proton beam and the Russian government denied him a disability pension :ussr:

"You still walk? Talk? You go to job? You don't look so bad. No money"

To be fair, that's about a 0.2/10 on the "hosed up poo poo that happened to people working around radiation in the USSR" scale.
Come back to the disability office when you and your friend drink tritiated water or dump all your leftover PUREX goo down a floor drain

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Cojawfee posted:

What the hell is the smell of "old dirt"?

Sorry your sense of smell doesn't work.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

That's just because the US is stupid. The British immediately absorbed the Wotan lesson and all of their Cold war projects were a random color plus a random word, like Blue Peacock (nuclear land mine)

Still too easy that figure out that one. Blue like Cherenkov radiation so it involves nuclear stuff. Peacock means there’s a bird involved so probably a chicken. So logically it would be some sort of chicken-heated nuclear weapon. Which it was.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Operation Mission Accomplished

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
hey similar to SWIFT truckers do people driving for A. Duie Pyle ever get tired of calling their company lovely? Because that's what a dewy pile sounds like.

Sagebrush posted:

That's just because the US is stupid. The British immediately absorbed the Wotan lesson and all of their Cold war projects were a random color plus a random word, like Blue Peacock (nuclear land mine) or Orange Harvest (radar warning system).

So you're saying Blue Harvest is a nuclear warning system? :tinfoil: What was Lucas trying to tell us?!

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 18, 2019

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Orange Peacock, the land mine that sterilizes everyone walking over it

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Some homegrown from the Sly Fox bar in Orlando:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Some homegrown from the Sly Fox bar in Orlando:

I'm the rainbow Monstera sticker?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Is it really "possible" if the possibility is 100%?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Oh hey, I get to contribute something from my home:

I have been using this extension cord for 10 years. In my house. Sometimes with heavy-duty power tools, sometimes under my bed (not both scenarios at the same time).

What really pisses me off is that I have always regarded it as a very safe and durable one as it uses very heavy cable and I am pretty sure I orginally stole it from the machine maintenance section of a previous employer, so I knew it had been put together by an electrically-qualified machine engineer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is that supposed to be a fuse?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Eh your fuse box will trip before you could overload it anyway.

Unless of course it is also full of the same thing....

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Shut up Meg posted:

it had been put together by an electrically-qualified machine engineer.
Doctors make the worst patients.

Cojawfee posted:

Everything is a fuse if you put enough current through it.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Shut up Meg posted:

I have been using this extension cord for 10 years. In my house. Sometimes with heavy-duty power tools, sometimes under my bed (not both scenarios at the same time).

What really pisses me off is that I have always regarded it as a very safe and durable one as it uses very heavy cable and I am pretty sure I orginally stole it from the machine maintenance section of a previous employer, so I knew it had been put together by an electrically-qualified machine engineer.

Posting the obligatory fuse chart

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Bad Munki posted:

Everything is a fuse if you put enough current through it.

:hmmyes:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Cojawfee posted:

It's thin tin foil wrapped around a fuse.

Not even good tin foil. Like the stuff wrapped around a roll of candies with a paper wrapper over it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Shut up Meg posted:

It's thin tin foil wrapped around a fuse.

Not even good tin foil. Like the stuff wrapped around a roll of candies with a paper wrapper over it.
Well duh, if you use the good tin foil it won't blow at an appropriate level of amps.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lurking Haro posted:

Posting the obligatory fuse chart

That 130-ampere size is really difficult to find anymore. They’re never in stock.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Phanatic posted:

That 130-ampere size is really difficult to find anymore. They’re never in stock.

Head to the middle east.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

I like my outlets like I like my catfish - blackened.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dannywilson posted:

Head to the middle east.

I always thought that was a bottle opener, maybe a small novelty one, until I had a can of Pepsi in Jordan that used it. Whyyyy.

Shut up Meg posted:

I don't know what you're complaining about, seems like it was modded for higher durability for you.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Dannywilson posted:

Head to the middle east.
Or China. Why is that by the way? Did they just pick up a bunch of machinery on the cheap when the US and Europe switched to stay-tab?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

zedprime posted:

Well duh, if you use the good tin foil it won't blow at an appropriate level of amps.
That is less reassuring that you think!

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't know what you're complaining about, seems like it was modded for higher durability for you.
What is frightening is that I now wonder if I have had any close shaves that I wasn't aware of. I've used it for a lot of powerful stuff. And as I am typing this, I now wonder if the same bodger who did the fuse 'upgrade' didn't actually make this out of top quality material and instead used some old poo poo that they had lying around.

Hedenius posted:

Or China. Why is that by the way? Did they just pick up a bunch of machinery on the cheap when the US and Europe switched to stay-tab?
I'll guess that the machines they currently use are the same ones they have been using for the last 70 years and why spend money on a upgrade if the old ones work fine and who cares about the environment, that's where poor people live?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

That Russian definitely-not-nuclear explosion was totally on the level.

quote:

Two days after the explosion of a suspected nuclear-powered cruise missile undergoing testing on Aug. 8, two monitoring stations nearest the site of the accident stopped transmitting data,

Just a coincidence.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

That Russian definitely-not-nuclear explosion was totally on the level.

Just a coincidence.

Of course it's not a nuclear explosion, just a containment failure. Don't worry about those fission products, the Russians have experience with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Not great; not terrible.