Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I've uploaded my second ever course.

Write it in Red
V10-RVJ-7JG

I put in a gimmick that I thought might be clever. I hope you'll tell me what you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I enjoy the movement in NSMB because it allows for a little bit of creative pathing with things like triple jumps and air stalls. It's a shame most people just slap spikes everywhere and force you to run a course one specific way, because the freedom of movement really is the themes strength.

I had a lot of fun doing this run, for example:
https://twitter.com/nofrikinfun/status/1162203974033793029

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
New level:

"The Bodhisattva Shakyamuni's Room of Infinite Patience"
65T-S8K-9NF

Replaces my old level, "The World's Hardest Puzzle"

Try not to break anything :(

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DalaranJ posted:

So far, I'm hearing a small preference for SMB3, and a large dislike for NSMB.

SMB3 is the best theme yes

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think if we organized a goon world we should agree on theme as well- as in pick who makes the easy first course and ramped up to who makes the hardest final one. And if we're going for traditional levels or goofball stuff.

Just to have that consistent tone. Just my opinion though.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
SMW is my favorite Mario game and also my favorite course theme. I have made a bunch of Mario 3 levels because it's such an unpopular theme with the general public, though. I am not sure why I decided that was a good reason, but it's still a good theme.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I'm getting tired of playing Mario Maker with Joycons and analog stick.

Should I go for an official Pro controller, or the cheaper (and multiplatform) 8bitdo SN30 Pro?

Anyone have experiences with that particular 8bitdo on the Switch (or specifically for Mario Maker)? I have the older and smaller N30 Pro for use with my smartphone while travelling, and I like it but... it's so small. Whereas I think the SN30 Pro is the same size as a normal SNES controller (correct me if I'm wrong)?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Drone posted:

So I'm getting tired of playing Mario Maker with Joycons and analog stick.

Should I go for an official Pro controller, or the cheaper (and multiplatform) 8bitdo SN30 Pro?

Anyone have experiences with that particular 8bitdo on the Switch (or specifically for Mario Maker)? I have the older and smaller N30 Pro for use with my smartphone while travelling, and I like it but... it's so small. Whereas I think the SN30 Pro is the same size as a normal SNES controller (correct me if I'm wrong)?

Hi! I have thoughts on this!

Overall, I absolutely adore my SN30 Pro (I bought it before the + was available, otherwise I might've sprung for that one). Good build quality, plays like a dream for SMM2, and it's now my preferred way to play it. Since I'm a weirdo and normally edit levels with my controller, it works great for that, too.

There is a (Switch specific) problem, though... When this controller is used alongside other joycons, like for multiplayer and stuff, there is a noticeable delay in input. I don't know what the deal is, if Nintendo somehow puts third party communications WAY done on some sort of priority list when multiple controllers are connected, but it happens. And yes, as of about two weeks ago, I was running the latest firmware.

BUT! Single player? Zero issues. And also, according to other players in the Switch thread, this doesn't happen to them. I noticed it the most with Rocket League, but it's still there in SMM2.

So, if you're playing alone, I can't recommend it enough, it's just super incredible. If you'll be using it to round out your controllers for multiplayer, be warned that you might experience input lag. All told, I'd say the lag is somewhere around 0.5 seconds.

All that being said, it's awesome that I also now have a controller for my Android phone, my Mac, and my Windows laptop. :toot:

A+, would buy again even with the lag. And hey, 8bitdo might even be able to eventually fix it! Apparently it was worse, and I think happened way more often before, but firmware updates had it mostly fixed. Maybe I bought (from Best Buy, in Quebec) a super old model that has lag because of some sort of hardware issue that can't be fixed with firmware. I have no idea. I just know that the lag is there, it kind of sucks, but I'll deal with it. There are too many positives to not recommend it heartily.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

BUT! Single player? Zero issues.

Boom, there it is. Ordered!

How's the rumble? Not specifically for MM, but for other Switch games?

Drone fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 19, 2019

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Love the Pro, hefty price but really good quality

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Phantasium posted:

I don't get the hate for NSMB personally.

it's the worst looking theme by a long shot. though i'm told it has interesting movement stuff you can't do with the others.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Drone posted:

Boom, there it is. Ordered!

How's the rumble? Not specifically for MM, but for other Switch games?

The rumble is standard, non-HD.

Doesn't bother me whatsoever, though. I'd never experienced HD rumble until the joycons anyway.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's the worst looking theme by a long shot. though i'm told it has interesting movement stuff you can't do with the others.

I like it mostly for the "WAH WAH" in the music. :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i always pictures goombas jumping when i hear it. (and i hear it as wah wahwah)

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 19, 2019

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Don't get the 8bitdo. Get the Mayflash adapter. It a has female USB port on the adapter itself for easy syncing with DualShock controllers. No fuckery required. Also you can switch the adapter mode without using a computer.

e: whoops. Didn't realize that you were talking about 3rd party controllers. Still, DS4 with Mayflash is the better option.

Workaday Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 19, 2019

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Spellman posted:

Love the Pro, hefty price but really good quality

I like the pro for Splatoon and I guess it would be fine for people who play Mario with analog, but the dpad is super mushy. I tried it for Tetris 99 and kept accidentally hard dropping pieces when trying to move left/right.

I don't really get the hate for the joycon button dpad, to be honest. If not for the dimensions of the joycon being awkward, I think it is a perfectly good way to play Mario.

Now the WiiU gamepad, that was the Cadillac of Mario controllers.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

NofrikinfuN posted:

If not for the dimensions of the joycon being awkward, I think it is a perfectly good way to play Mario.

This is the reason why the D-Pad is trash. My hands are big and for me to use the D-Pad my thumb has to be at an uncomfortable angle to use it. Also no center pivot :/

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mario Maker 2 has shown me that I hate where the minus button is located on the joycon, I cannot hit it without nudging the analog stick.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Phantasium posted:

Mario Maker 2 has shown me that I hate where the minus button is located on the joycon, I cannot hit it without nudging the analog stick.

I can't tell you how many videos of Mario Maker I've accidentally saved when I meant to test the level from the start

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Hi! I have thoughts on this!

Overall, I absolutely adore my SN30 Pro (I bought it before the + was available, otherwise I might've sprung for that one). Good build quality, plays like a dream for SMM2, and it's now my preferred way to play it. Since I'm a weirdo and normally edit levels with my controller, it works great for that, too.

There is a (Switch specific) problem, though... When this controller is used alongside other joycons, like for multiplayer and stuff, there is a noticeable delay in input. I don't know what the deal is, if Nintendo somehow puts third party communications WAY done on some sort of priority list when multiple controllers are connected, but it happens. And yes, as of about two weeks ago, I was running the latest firmware.

BUT! Single player? Zero issues. And also, according to other players in the Switch thread, this doesn't happen to them. I noticed it the most with Rocket League, but it's still there in SMM2.

So, if you're playing alone, I can't recommend it enough, it's just super incredible. If you'll be using it to round out your controllers for multiplayer, be warned that you might experience input lag. All told, I'd say the lag is somewhere around 0.5 seconds.

All that being said, it's awesome that I also now have a controller for my Android phone, my Mac, and my Windows laptop. :toot:

A+, would buy again even with the lag. And hey, 8bitdo might even be able to eventually fix it! Apparently it was worse, and I think happened way more often before, but firmware updates had it mostly fixed. Maybe I bought (from Best Buy, in Quebec) a super old model that has lag because of some sort of hardware issue that can't be fixed with firmware. I have no idea. I just know that the lag is there, it kind of sucks, but I'll deal with it. There are too many positives to not recommend it heartily.

There was an input lag problem with all 8bitdo controllers and switch for some reason that should be fixed with the latest update. Try updating to see if that fixes it.

Also yes, I agree that 8BitDo is an excellent option for the D-pad alone.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

DalaranJ posted:

If we made a “World” where different goons each made one level, what game theme should we use?

I’d go with World for the most varied mechanics apart from NSMB which too many people whine about.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

J-Spot posted:

I’d go with World for the most varied mechanics apart from NSMB which too many people whine about.

It's ugly, dude!! Do you see how the claws look?? Rectangle rear end garbage rear end claws

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

J-Spot posted:

As a counterpoint to this, I've enjoyed a lot of goon SMB courses specifically because they don't get too bogged down in the mechanics. If this project were to be done more than one time, maybe SMB is the right place to start?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I can't abide that feeling when the night background for NSMB exists.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

somewhat related to my "when is sega gonna give us sonic maker" but when are they giving us mario kart maker.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'd vote for SMB1 bc it looks so nice and has limited amount of options to work with compared to other styles.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OneMoreTime posted:

There was an input lag problem with all 8bitdo controllers and switch for some reason that should be fixed with the latest update. Try updating to see if that fixes it.

Also yes, I agree that 8BitDo is an excellent option for the D-pad alone.

I legitimately appreciate the help, but like I said, as of two weeks ago, I actually did update the firmware. The same firmware that specifically listed that it fixed the lag problem, and yet the problem persists. I had been running something like 1.8 before that, and thought that 1.21 or 1.23 or whatever it was would fix it, since it listed it in the notes, but unfortunately nothing changed.

I will actually try it again, in the off chance that I somehow hosed it up and didn't actually update anything, though the app said I had. We'll see.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I legitimately appreciate the help, but like I said, as of two weeks ago, I actually did update the firmware. The same firmware that specifically listed that it fixed the lag problem, and yet the problem persists. I had been running something like 1.8 before that, and thought that 1.21 or 1.23 or whatever it was would fix it, since it listed it in the notes, but unfortunately nothing changed.

I will actually try it again, in the off chance that I somehow hosed it up and didn't actually update anything, though the app said I had. We'll see.

Actually the latest firmware came out on the 15th to address this various issue, so give it shot! I mean, this is the third time or they've addressed it so who knows really?

OneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 19, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

somewhat related to my "when is sega gonna give us sonic maker" but when are they giving us mario kart maker.

Sony had Modnation Racers on the PS3 that was basically this. You could build your own tracks, karts, and avatars. I guess it didn't do particularly well but I had fun with it. It was much harder to make a decent kart track than a Mario level so the average quality of the user content was probably even worse.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OneMoreTime posted:

Actually the latest firmware came out on the 15th to address this various issue, so give it shot! I mean, this is the third time or they've addressed it so who knows really?

Welp! I'm dumb and hadn't checked in a while, so thank you for mentioning it! If that fixes it, then this will make the SN30 Pro likely the second best 3rd party controller, right behind the Pro +, I'm assuming. Those grips :getin:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think if we organized a goon world we should agree on theme as well- as in pick who makes the easy first course and ramped up to who makes the hardest final one. And if we're going for traditional levels or goofball stuff.

Just to have that consistent tone. Just my opinion though.

Yes, that was what I was planning.

NofrikinfuN posted:

If this project were to be done more than one time, maybe SMB is the right place to start?

I’m leaning towards this. One each of SMB, SMB3 and SMW starting with SMB.

I’m going to work on a proposal format next.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Yes, that was what I was planning.

I’m leaning towards this. One each of SMB, SMB3 and SMW starting with SMB.

I’m going to work on a proposal format next.

This sounds great, and I'm totally down.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can we call dibs because i wanna make the castle level :getin:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I really like this idea, especially if the idea is to make more traditional Mario levels. I haven't had time to play much Mario Maker lately but I would definitely carve out a few hours to contribute any kind of level.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Primarily made for multiplayer vs. so a gang can take it on together

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 19, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Keep in mind as I comment on these, I was trying to get a bunch of levels done in an hour before the Gamescom thing starts, so I have less patience than usual so if I was getting stuck on something too long I eventually gave up. This really only applies to two courses below.

In Training posted:

Wild Fiery Rodeo

My hardest level I think. But nothing gimmicky or odd, just hard to time jumps. I wanted to make a level with activity at all times even on the "safe" platforms above the lava, so we will see how it went!

Gave this course an honest try. I couldn't get much further than the canonballs. Honestly I probably would've tried more if there wasn't so much having to wait for the lava to go back down. I was getting too impatient. Also I would take out the fish cause they're like the hammer brothers of the sea.

Live Free posted:

Totally Harmless Hills of Doom
0S6-MP8-T6G

In this level you'll need to go out of your way to take damage in order to proceed. Inspired by an old freeware game called Karoshi. Please let me know if you find anything janky that soft locks the level or anything like that. Includes a non-lethal boss fight!

I HAVE A LOT TO SAY ABOUT THIS ONE BUCKLE UP

I assume the strategy for the second room is getting low enough on a note block bounce so that a bullet bill hits you? That's what I did but it felt like I was brute forcing it. The Thwomp kept throwing me off when it turns out that was meant to show you how the next room works. But I honestly think you shold've left the Thwomp out of the second room because it makes players think you need it for the second room's puzzle. You provide reset doors so the third room would've been fine for people to puzzle out on their own. Also the noteblock mechanic was kind of frustrating because of how perfect you needed to time it. The third room was fine. The fourth room, I have no idea what the intended solution is supposed to be. I never figured out how to get the spring. I simply crouch jumped into the spikes. There was claps and fanfare so it seems like that's what you intended but then, what was the spring for? Fifth room, I have no idea what the solution is for this, maybe I needed the spring I couldn't figure out how to get? Either way I just cheesed it by going back through the pipe, crouch running to get onto the belt and just took the hit. The checkpoint forced the area there to be bigger so you can accomplish this. So I just bypassed whatever you had to do for the fifth room. Sixth room was incredibly straightforward, I did it the intended way easily. Seventh room, also straightforward, I liked it. Eight room, straightforward, main challenge was getting a run going on the belt. Boss room was less of a puzzle and more of a guessing game which is fine.

The second half of the level seemed fine, but the first several rooms were a bit obtuse I think.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I need to get back into this game. Spent literally a week of just on/off booting it up trying to force myself to play or create (mostly create) and just had a lot of trouble staying focused. I wanted to make a NSMB-U stage as I felt like I was neglecting it a little TOO much but that style just saps my will to build for whatever reason. I finally got something out that at least plays well. I think. Hoping it doesn't come across as too unfocused due to it being put together over a longer stretch of time.

It's fairly straight forward and I tried to stick to a theme with it.

Then I did a small personal blitz right after, though I did allow myself coins as the stage felt naked without them. It's a real short level and I'm not sure if the checkpoint is really needed with how close it is to the ending, but I hope it's still fun :shobon:

If you play them I hope you like em, even if they're both pretty straight forward courses.

First one was a decent little level. Not a fan of the NSMB look but the level itself is fine. I liked that there were secrets everywhere. Second one I liked that one a lot more. The mechanic was cute, I liked how it built on itself as the stage went on, secrets in places. Very nice.

Hardcordion posted:

So I just got this game last week and after messing around with all the new elements I think I finally have a level worth uploading, based around Porcupuffers, Thwomps and a very low water level. Please try it out!

Hamburger Bog
S8G-LPH-3PF

It's called Hamburger Bog both as an homage to the Mario World level names and because my girlfriend would call the big fish in Mario 3 "Hamburger" when she was little for some reason.

Didn't finish it, I'm sorry. The second section is just frustrating with having to avoid both cheep cheeps and the insta kill fish and the water slowing you down. I could've dealt with that if the third section started with a check point but it didn't and I ended up dying to getting squished by the Thwomp (the little gap in the ground forcing you into a small pit is kind of cruel there) and was sent back all the way to the start of the second section. This stage wasn't even really bad but not having the checkpoint there killed the run for me

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Casey Finnigan posted:

So here's the second Mario level I've ever made. I tried to design so that there are two paths through the level, one roughly faster than the other. It ends with a boss fight against a Boom Boom and Bowser Jr. that might be a bit tough, so I put a checkpoint right before:

Airship Fleet Under Renovation
S2T-H2V-9DG

Hope it's actually fun!

I don't know if I missed a CP because it's on an alternate path here or what but it felt like the level went way too long without one. Also there is a really poorly timed platform at one point where if you're not hauling rear end it will get away from you without you even seeing it and since you have it drop off it will never come back.

Hardcordion posted:

So I just got this game last week and after messing around with all the new elements I think I finally have a level worth uploading, based around Porcupuffers, Thwomps and a very low water level. Please try it out!

Hamburger Bog
S8G-LPH-3PF

It's called Hamburger Bog both as an homage to the Mario World level names and because my girlfriend would call the big fish in Mario 3 "Hamburger" when she was little for some reason.

This was alright but the subworld was kind of annoying. It was fine to do once but there really should have been another checkpoint afterwards because I did not enjoy redoing it.

Live Free posted:

Totally Harmless Hills of Doom
0S6-MP8-T6G

In this level you'll need to go out of your way to take damage in order to proceed. Inspired by an old freeware game called Karoshi. Please let me know if you find anything janky that soft locks the level or anything like that. Includes a non-lethal boss fight!

Most of this was decent but the noteblock room is terrible.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 19, 2019

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

I HAVE A LOT TO SAY ABOUT THIS ONE BUCKLE UP

the thwomp in the second room is a red herring, the spring and the on/off blocks are a red herring, in the room with the twister the conveyer belt is moving towards the door instead of away from it.

J-Spot posted:

Most of this was decent but the noteblock room is terrible.

:coolfish:

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

J-Spot posted:

I don't know if I missed a CP because it's on an alternate path here or what but it felt like the level went way too long without one. Also there is a really poorly timed platform at one point where if you're not hauling rear end it will get away from you without you even seeing it and since you have it drop off it will never come back.

Yeah I should have put in a checkpoint earlier. I made pretty much the whole thing without thinking about checkpoint placement, then ended up not having a good place to put one in that a player could hit on either path.

I have no clue how I managed to miss the fact that one of the moving platforms can get away from you and force you to reload the area. It's in a bad spot, too, and it completely kills the momentum through the level. I must have played through this level a billion times but somehow I never caught that. Something to keep in mind in the future I guess.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

Write it in Red
V10-RVJ-7JG

Oh that's a good gimmick, I even caught onto it immediately and it still got me at some point just because other people's levels have featured sections like that, and then making me double back after figuring out what to do to get the secret. Stage is short enough and the gimmick unobtrusive enough that none of it is frustrating, it's just good.

BabyRyoga posted:

"The Bodhisattva Shakyamuni's Room of Infinite Patience"
65T-S8K-9NF

nnnnnnnnope, didn't think that type of thing was worth it when I saw it at launch, still don't think it is now. good luck to anyone that decides to do this.

Oooh, this was fun. I love the references but also the way the level is split out into the different relatively small sections allowed you to work with small gimmicks that didn't overstay their welcome. But also it made me laugh a couple times so good show.