Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah. debate is a thing that assumes two* broadly equally defensible positions, with both participants having broadly equal capacity to defend their positions, and attack their opponent, and broadly equal care for standards of evidence, logical thinking etc.

Very little of what is publicly framed as debate, is actually debate at all.

*or however many, but two is easier to talk about.

E: 151 years ago, in 1868m, helium is first detected in the sun's chromosphere, but is wrongly assumed to be sodium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Any of y'all know what this guy is? I know some of you take to do with insects and that. I have been keeping my windows closed because of the huge number of incredibly aggressive wasps in my area at the moment. One still got into the kitchen through a vent yesterday and set about dive bombing my head until one of us met our end by way of a rolled up newspaper. I would generally try to shoo even wasps out the window but like I say, these ones this year seem like they have no other interest but diving stingy arse first at other creatures. I opened the bathroom curtains this morning and this guy here zoomed down straight onto my NUDE rear end and I batted it off thinking it was a wasp. I realised I wasn't stung though, and despite being the most satanic looking insect I have ever seen this guy was very docile. I put him in the glass and put him outside. I kind of hope we have a cold autumn this year :/

crispix fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 19, 2019

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

"you're being a meanie and have hurt my feelings so i'm just going to go back into my comfortable liberal bubble where the first political thing that ever had an impact on my life was brexit please why can't it be 2012 again THE OLYMPICS"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sanford posted:

Yeah and that's how minds get changed. There's a few opinions I've held that on reflection were very bad and wrong; people in this thread saying "hmm, these seem to be the opinions of a oval office, you might want to look at them again" is a good thing. I don't actually believe these centrist types believe in the importance of decorum - it's an easy out when you're losing the argument (which they normally are).

I think let's about escaping a losing argument but actively shutting down emotive counterpoints. Any decent person can't talk about say, 120,000 people killed by austerity without getting emotional so by playing the :decorum: card they're blocking off that talking point and allowing themselves to stay in their bubble of privilege.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Aphex- posted:

"you're being a meanie and have hurt my feelings so i'm just going to go back into my comfortable liberal bubble where the first political thing that ever had an impact on my life was brexit please why can't it be 2012 again THE OLYMPICS"

Petition to call centrists “Olympocrats” from now on

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Sanford posted:

Yeah and that's how minds get changed. There's a few opinions I've held that on reflection were very bad and wrong; people in this thread saying "hmm, these seem to be the opinions of a oval office, you might want to look at them again" is a good thing. I don't actually believe these centrist types believe in the importance of decorum - it's an easy out when you're losing the argument (which they normally are).

So which flavour of crisps do you prefer now?

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Junior G-man posted:

So which flavour of crisps do you prefer now?

That’s not really a fair topic for debate though, because there’s an objectively correct answer.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Yeah, it’s plain, lightly salted tortillas.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Do they sell Seabrook's crisps down south these days? Best salt and vinegar known to humanity.

A couple of pages back but some top quality cheese on toast suggestions, rip my saturated fat intake for the week

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pesmerga posted:

:frogout:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Pesmerga posted:

One of the all-time posters of UKMT.

To come to so low a fall.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
not a crisp but these are amazing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/LabourLeft/status/1163409417154510850

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Alright, alright, I concede.

They’re the best corn-derived snack.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

crispix posted:

Any of y'all know what this guy is?

It's an alien.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Pesmerga posted:

Alright, alright, I concede.

They’re the best corn-derived snack.

The Red Monster Munch Unity Front (ML) will not stand for this.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Emotion is convincing, if done right - appeals to emotion work all the time. The problem is that when you do that to centrists and make them face the fact that they might have got things really wrong in the past, they double down and hide behind "facts and logic not emotion" to stop themselves feeling bad for supporting something harmful. It's easier to do that then reckon that these harms you've never seen might actually be happening.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Sanitary Naptime posted:

The Red Monster Munch Unity Front (ML) will not stand for this.

Monster munch between tortilla chips as a deviant sandwich.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
plainly salted tortillas are, by a wide margin, better than any other british bag of chips. do you hear me, you fucks? chips.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i feel like he's doing it entirely to troll FBPEs now

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1163365813782495233?s=20

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

CoolCab posted:

plainly salted tortillas are, by a wide margin, better than any other british bag of chips. do you hear me, you fucks? chips.

:hai:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

CoolCab posted:

I agree it's chips. I can't speak to any british chips as I've never had any. My favorite are plain salted potato chips though, with salsa. I think potato chips and salsa go together better than corn chips.

And I like to eat chips with a nice glass of cool miwk.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they're a british invention and therefore crisps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_chip#Origins

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
America is wrong about many things and calling crisps chips is the wrongest.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Jose posted:

i feel like he's doing it entirely to troll FBPEs now

Having to cater, at least in the media, to these mind-melted fubpees must be one of the very worst things about being in charge of the Labour Party.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Very little of what is publicly framed as debate, is actually debate at all.
I was thinking about this yesterday after hearing Chapo talking about Toby Young's recollection of seeing Boris Johnson at an Oxford debate society.

I think that the alt right are aware of debating technique, but are aware that there are arguments that are barred from formal debates as either bad practice, logical fallacies or unfair because everyone knows that philosophers haven't come up with answers for that yet.

But outside of debate societies these techniques work. Nobody penalises you for ad hominems or strawmen in the real world, and most seasoned debaters are unprepared to deal with them because they require long complicated explainations.

So I think in a way, alt righters have been studying the places that formal debates won't go, and using them in arguments outside of debating structures.

Which makes their favourite attention grabbing technique of 'debate me' really loving disingenuous, since if they were debating in a formal setting with adjudicators and rules, their particular blend of moral relativism would be torn to shreds.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Junior G-man posted:

Having to cater to Tom Watson must be one of the very worst things about being in charge of the Labour Party.

although I'd say doing the catering for Tom Watson must be a poo poo gig too

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

where they’re called chips lol

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Monster munch have gluten and this is honestly the worst thing I've discovered since stopping eating it.

the worst thing is actually not being able to eat nice crusty bread, gluten free alternatives to most things exist and are decent but gently caress the bread leaves a lot to be desired.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's a wiki page so obviously American centric

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Jose posted:

Tayto were the first to manage to put the flavouring actually on the crisp. They're part of Ireland's slow cultural war, a friendly snack-based imperialism where everyone comes around to the glory of Cheese and Onion Tayto's (in the correctly coloured red bag.) But, of course, there's no disagreement on the absolute fact they're called crisps.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Impressive for them to out express the express.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

It's a wiki page so obviously American centric

quote:

The 1822 edition's version of recipe 104 is called "Potatoes fried in Slices or Shavings" and reads "peel large potatoes... cut them in shavings round and round, as you would peel a lemon; dry them well in a clean cloth, and fry them in lard or dripping".[2][3] Early recipes for potato chips in the United States are found in Mary Randolph's Virginia House-Wife (1824),[4] and in N.K.M. Lee's Cook's Own Book (1832),[5] both of which explicitly cite Kitchiner.[6]

aka

chips

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011
Doctors debate things like how to best sequence treatments and diagnostics given symptoms all the time. When they get that wrong, then a 2% difference in survival rates means, over a decade, a small towns worth of people die early. But still, it generally works ok; modern medicine is better than the medicine of 50 years ago in a way that isn’t true of politics.

I think that is because everyone involved is starting from the same premise; ‘saving lives is good’. If a medical researcher pushes a plan that turns out to kill thousands more than it saves, they generally accept they were wrong, rather than doubling down on ‘those people were sick and so deserved it’.

It’s when you find a doctor who isn’t working that way, like that GP serial killer, that not getting angry is weird and wrong.

Maybe you could get your lib dem friend both accept that premise, _and_ understand that not everyone in politics does. If they did, they might plausibly become an ex-lib dem, rather than an ex-friend.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mrenda posted:

Tayto were the first to manage to put the flavouring actually on the crisp. They're part of Ireland's slow cultural war, a friendly snack-based imperialism where everyone comes around to the glory of Cheese and Onion Tayto's (in the correctly coloured red bag.) But, of course, there's no disagreement on the absolute fact they're called crisps.

Only in the UK. Even in several non English languages we call them chips.

I think the only way to resolve this is hard brexit.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Mrenda posted:

taytos are pro-tier crisps but lol at thinking RED is the colour for cheese and onion

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was thinking about this yesterday after hearing Chapo talking about Toby Young's recollection of seeing Boris Johnson at an Oxford debate society.

I think that the alt right are aware of debating technique, but are aware that there are arguments that are barred from formal debates as either bad practice, logical fallacies or unfair because everyone knows that philosophers haven't come up with answers for that yet.

But outside of debate societies these techniques work. Nobody penalises you for ad hominems or strawmen in the real world, and most seasoned debaters are unprepared to deal with them because they require long complicated explainations.

So I think in a way, alt righters have been studying the places that formal debates won't go, and using them in arguments outside of debating structures.

Which makes their favourite attention grabbing technique of 'debate me' really loving disingenuous, since if they were debating in a formal setting with adjudicators and rules, their particular blend of moral relativism would be torn to shreds.

Debate me is also a very strong technique for fash because the mere act of accepting the challenge legitimises whatever topic is being "debated" as a valid topic for debate, and therefore, something with broadly equal logic, relevance, evidence, and (lack of) harm on both sides.

As soon as you agree to debate someone on, say, climate change denial, or vaccine denial, or homoeopathy, or whether certain humans deserve death merely for having been born into a certain grouping, you are implicitly accepting that there's a possibility of being persuaded that those things are ture.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

CoolCab posted:

aka

chips

Explicitly site Kitchener it says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
here i am an english person better name this hot new taste craze that's sweeping the globe in which you take a potato, and you chip it, and then you fry it. of course: crisps! better pour myself a new pot of warm and maybe have some square, mmm!