Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

CoolCab posted:

here i am an english person better name this hot new taste craze that's sweeping the globe in which you take a potato, and you chip it, and then you fry it. of course: crisps! better pour myself a new pot of warm and maybe have some square, mmm!

I mean, we call fried chipped potatoes, chips.

We call crispy fried thinly sliced potatoes, crisps.

E: gently caress's sake again? 152 years ago in August 1867 Disraeli continues the process of enfranchising more than just a tiny number of landowners with the second reform act, nearly doubling the electorate.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Aug 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Diana appears to be more loquacious after death than during her lifetime. And to hold opinions exactly confirming to the views of the relevant paper.

Truly the People's Princess.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Hi all, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction with a work hours issue my mum is having?

She is contracted for, and has been paid, 20 hours a week with her company for the last few months. However several weeks have gone by where she hasn't been given 20 hours worth of work, and all of a sudden her line manager is insisting she 'owes' like 80+ hours back.

This is clearly horseshit, but I'm not in any way a contract expert and cannot prove why it's horseshit. Where is her best place to go for advice? I was going to suggest she take a copy of her contract to Citizens Advice and sought guidance there, is that a good idea or is there something better she can do?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
*in brexiter voice* gently caress off back to Canada

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Massive racist reveals dead princess was massive racist

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

*in brexiter voice* gently caress off back to Canada

lol

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

jammyozzy posted:

Hi all, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction with a work hours issue my mum is having?

She is contracted for, and has been paid, 20 hours a week with her company for the last few months. However several weeks have gone by where she hasn't been given 20 hours worth of work, and all of a sudden her line manager is insisting she 'owes' like 80+ hours back.

This is clearly horseshit, but I'm not in any way a contract expert and cannot prove why it's horseshit. Where is her best place to go for advice? I was going to suggest she take a copy of her contract to Citizens Advice and sought guidance there, is that a good idea or is there something better she can do?

Does she have a union? That's the obvious first stop.

Either way, if she is contacted for certain hours, and she was p[resent at work for those hours, it's not her fault if they didn't give her enough to do, and they can fo gently caress themselves.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Didn't see if this got answered - I think it's probably a Short-tailed Ichneumon Wasp.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

crispix posted:

Any of y'all know what this guy is? I know some of you take to do with insects and that. I have been keeping my windows closed because of the huge number of incredibly aggressive wasps in my area at the moment. One still got into the kitchen through a vent yesterday and set about dive bombing my head until one of us met our end by way of a rolled up newspaper. I would generally try to shoo even wasps out the window but like I say, these ones this year seem like they have no other interest but diving stingy arse first at other creatures. I opened the bathroom curtains this morning and this guy here zoomed down straight onto my NUDE rear end and I batted it off thinking it was a wasp. I realised I wasn't stung though, and despite being the most satanic looking insect I have ever seen this guy was very docile. I put him in the glass and put him outside. I kind of hope we have a cold autumn this year :/

Still looks vespid. Some kind of Ichneumonidae? For whatever reason there's a giant list of species seen in the UK.
Also they're horrible enough they made Charles Darwin doubt the existence of a loving god.

Argh, beaten

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

jammyozzy posted:

I can probably help with this if you want to PM me a copy of the contract. Look for a clause along the lines of "failure to deliver to one aspect/term/clause of this contract does render other aspects invalid" or something like that. She's contracted to do 20 hours a week and didn't (which I would strongly argue is on employer rather than employee), but that is irrelevant when considering future weeks where she is also contracted to do 20 hours a week.

Edit: sorry, misunderstood - thought he was saying she needed to pay the time back. I'd need to see the contract and see how the terms around remuneration are worded.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was thinking about this yesterday after hearing Chapo talking about Toby Young's recollection of seeing Boris Johnson at an Oxford debate society.

I think that the alt right are aware of debating technique, but are aware that there are arguments that are barred from formal debates as either bad practice, logical fallacies or unfair because everyone knows that philosophers haven't come up with answers for that yet.

But outside of debate societies these techniques work. Nobody penalises you for ad hominems or strawmen in the real world, and most seasoned debaters are unprepared to deal with them because they require long complicated explainations.

So I think in a way, alt righters have been studying the places that formal debates won't go, and using them in arguments outside of debating structures.

Which makes their favourite attention grabbing technique of 'debate me' really loving disingenuous, since if they were debating in a formal setting with adjudicators and rules, their particular blend of moral relativism would be torn to shreds.

And they're right, too, because a: nobody in the real world actually gives a poo poo about debate rules and b: they don't actually impress anyone but liberals.

You win arguments by winning them on the terms that your audience respects and for most people that's basically making your opponent cry.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I was gonna post something snarky about going back to "constructive ambiguity" but it seems to have been a rather tenuous headline. Still not super great, mind.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...obox=1566204278

quote:

He did not rule out the Labour party officially being neutral in any second referendum on Brexit. Labour has said it would go into a general election promising a referendum on Brexit, with voters given the choice between backing remain and a credible leave option. McDonnell said he personally would campaign for remain. But asked if he would be happy for the party as a whole to be “agnostic” on the issue, McDonnell replied:

That’s one of the issues we’ve got to debate in the party. You know our democratic processes. I know people get frustrated with this ... but we’re a democratic party.

quote:

Q: Could Labour remain neutral in a second referendum on Brexit?
Corbyn says he wants to bring people together. There has to be an understanding of why particular communities voted leave. He is offering policies that would transform society, he says.
He says Labour would make sure people have the final say and the final choice.

Corbyn refuses to rule out Labour officially remaining neutral in a second referendum on Brexit held after a general election.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

quote:

Boris Johnson claims he is 'confident' EU will shift its position on backstop
Boris Johnson has been speaking to broadcasters on a visit to the Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro, where he has been promoting measures to increase the number of parents getting their children vaccinated. Here are the key points he has been making.

Johnson claimed he remained “confident” that the EU would shift its position on the Northern Ireland backstop, allowing a Brexit deal to be agreed before 31 October. Asked about planning for no deal, he said:

quote:

I’m not going to suggest that there won’t be - as I said on the steps of Downing Street - there may well be bumps in the road but we will be ready to come out on October 31 deal or no deal.

Now of course our friends and partners on the other side of the Channel are showing a little bit of reluctance at the moment to change their position.

That’s fine - I’m confident that they will - but in the meantime we have to get ready for a no deal outcome.

I want a deal. We’re ready to work with our friends and partners to get a deal but if you want a good deal for the UK, you must simultaneously get ready to come out without one.

It is hard to see why Johnson is confident that the EU will back down because European leaders have been saying, almost unanimously and ad nauseam, that they are not willing to renegotiate the withdrawal agreement.

BoJo is going to click his heels three times and change the EU's position. Or possibly make some borderline inappropriate jokes that will get Macron and Merkel to guffawlingly agree with him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

I was gonna post something snarky about going back to "constructive ambiguity" but it seems to have been a rather tenuous headline. Still not super great, mind.

That's literally how a referendum is supposed to work, though? Why call one if the officiating body wants one of the outcomes to win?

A referendum is when you have two options that you're willing to do so you ask everyone which one they want.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In other words he'd let individual MPs campaign whichever way they'd choose.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

thespaceinvader posted:

See also, eyes (pun intended).

EVery part of healthcare should be free at point of use.

The fact that teeth and eyes are accepted as excluded from that is one of the biggest victories for creeping privatisation.

And ears in many areas now! My GP won't syringe ears anymore and I need it doing annually. One of my friends needs hers dewaxing 2-3 times a year.
I have to pay £40 a go to have it done privately because the waiting list for the hospital is 6 months!!
Imagine if you have something like that which is so unnecessarily detrimental and mentally draining to your life that is sort outable in 10 minutes or so.
I'm fortunate that I can chuck my credit card at it.
For a few years I was able to do it myself with hot water and a syringe but for the last 3 years that hasn't worked and I've needed the machine in the audiologists.

(And no, ramming my ears full of olive oil has never done anything but make matters worse before anyone suggests it.)

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

OwlFancier posted:

That's literally how a referendum is supposed to work, though? Why call one if the officiating body wants one of the outcomes to win?

A referendum is when you have two options that you're willing to do so you ask everyone which one they want.

Sure maybe but do you see this playing well with the public given what we've seen so far?

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Crisp status: God tier

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And ears in many areas now! My GP won't syringe ears anymore and I need it doing annually. One of my friends needs hers dewaxing 2-3 times a year.
I have to pay £40 a go to have it done privately because the waiting list for the hospital is 6 months!!
Imagine if you have something like that which is so unnecessarily detrimental and mentally draining to your life that is sort outable in 10 minutes or so.
I'm fortunate that I can chuck my credit card at it.
For a few years I was able to do it myself with hot water and a syringe but for the last 3 years that hasn't worked and I've needed the machine in the audiologists.

(And no, ramming my ears full of olive oil has never done anything but make matters worse before anyone suggests it.)

Hearing aids, too. My wife gets hers on the NHS because her condition is lifelong and genetic but an awful lot of people just buy them and the batteries for them which is pretty bad.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

Sure maybe but do you see this playing well with the public given what we've seen so far?

Given that the hard brexiteers will call him a remainer and the fubpees will call him the hardest brexiteer I'm not sure anything he says is really relevant at this stage.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Hearing aids, too. My wife gets hers on the NHS because her condition is lifelong and genetic but an awful lot of people just buy them and the batteries for them which is pretty bad.

Apparently over in the States Bose offer a custom hearing aid which you can control by yourself with an app. Seems pretty nifty but rolling in at $500 seems a mite off-putting to those without golden toilets.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Brexit is sounding like a better and better idea the more we hear about these disgusting chip deviants.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Viruswithshoes posted:

Crisp status: God tier

They need to make these in proper big bag form

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

CoolCab posted:

here i am an english person better name this hot new taste craze that's sweeping the globe in which you take a potato, and you chip it, and then you fry it. of course: crisps! better pour myself a new pot of warm and maybe have some square, mmm!

Square sausage is a thing, how dare you

Coohoolin posted:

How awful that party democracy needs an opportunity to decide on a course of action.

Seriously though, it’s a good thing that they’re allowing it to play out, and it’s right that the party has a chance to have a say on how it goes when the party is in a position to do what it decides.

Party conference has other stuff to worry about than every potential scenario in which it is a party in power or out of power.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

I don't think there's any option that "plays well with the public" because there's like three camps and they all want mutually exclusive things. Brexiters just want brexit now maximum gently caress off. Remainers want remain now don't care gently caress off brexiters, and some people want a government that isn't trying to kill everybody and probably don't like either of the other two lots because half of them are tories and the other half are tories with a frowny face on.

If you want a second referendum then two viable options with the government being willing to implement whichever one wins is the only form of refernedum that makes sense.

It's not labour's fault if the remainers spend all this time whining for one and then don't like that it might not go their way.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Seriously though, it’s a good thing that they’re allowing it to play out, and it’s right that the party has a chance to have a say on how it goes when the party is in a position to do what it decides.

But, but, I thought that Corbs was essentially the Mad King and Seumas his Pyromancer? I thought that the Leaders' office made all decisions and left no room for deviant thought.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ok so actually it's austerity to blame for measles coming back

https://twitter.com/imbadatlife/status/1163422596630765569?s=19

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Coohoolin posted:

Considering the only realistic way to have a second referendum is to negotiate a deal to put to it, it seems a bit absurd to say "we'd definitely campaign against our own deal that we plan to negotiate", no? imo a genuine good faith effort to negotiate the least worst deal possible and then an official neutrality policy whilst allowing MPs to campaign however the hell they want in a deal vs remain referendum is basically as Remain-ey as a realistic policy of Government can get without actually revoking A50 or negotiating a deal in bad faith, knowing that you'll campaign against it

& jammyozzy: first choice is to talk to her Union (if she's Union), second choice is to check any home insurance policies or similar to see if she has legal expenses cover, third choice is probably CAB or the like. It sounds dodgy to me, but as Sanford said it'd depend on the terms of the contract. Happy to echo his offer to have a look over it - didn't know there was another contract law guy here!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Square sausage is a thing, how dare you

I used to make square sausage at a butcher's counter in Morrison's in Glasgow.

I did not eat square sausage, ever.

Jose posted:

Ok so actually it's austerity to blame for measles coming back

https://twitter.com/imbadatlife/status/1163422596630765569?s=19

It's probably to blame for the rise in anti-vaxxers, as well, partly because of the fall in education standards, and partly because of the related rise in science-denying fash politics.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Borrovan posted:

Considering the only realistic way to have a second referendum is to negotiate a deal to put to it, it seems a bit absurd to say "we'd definitely campaign against our own deal that we plan to negotiate", no? imo a genuine good faith effort to negotiate the least worst deal possible and then an official neutrality policy whilst allowing MPs to campaign however the hell they want in a deal vs remain referendum is basically as Remain-ey as a realistic policy of Government can get without actually revoking A50 or negotiating a deal in bad faith, knowing that you'll campaign against it

You'd think this but our media class is so stupid that they don't understand it or the idea of a politician acting in good faith

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Labour party chat: Just had a reminder to vote for Conference Arrangements Committee.
Any recommendations who I should vote for?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If only we'd given more kids autism by vaccine we'd have an entire generation of extremely smart kids enlightening their parents about the dangers of Toryism

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think half the problem is that Corbyn has made it very clear he wants to bump taxes on everyone earning over 80k, and that includes most media and slebs. So no wonder all the current affairs and panel shows are hostile to him.

Makes me wonder if he should add an 'except media and entertainers' clause that mysteriously gets amended when he puts the tax hikes through.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Labour party chat: Just had a reminder to vote for Conference Arrangements Committee.
Any recommendations who I should vote for?
Seema Chandwani and Billy Hayes

Seem to remember that they look best from the candidate statements anyway, but that's the Momentum slate
e: & the Labour left kinda needs to keep presenting a united front in these things until the right learns that they cannot win, and we can go to actually picking candidates on their merit rather than having to check and double check which candidate in this socialist party is actually a socialist

e2: & since I seem to remember you posting something about Wales before: it's Shahien Taj for PCC if you happen to live in South Wales

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 19, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The momentum slate has like 90% of the CLP nominations as well.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Borrovan posted:

Seema Chandwani and Billy Hayes

Seem to remember that they look best from the candidate statements anyway, but that's the Momentum slate
e: & the Labour left kinda needs to keep presenting a united front in these things until the right learns that they cannot win, and we can go to actually picking candidates on their merit rather than having to check and double check which candidate in this socialist party is actually a socialist

e2: & since I seem to remember you posting something about Wales before: it's Shahien Taj for PCC if you happen to live in South Wales

Finally got my email about that so cheers for reminding me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

The momentum slate has like 90% of the CLP nominations as well.

loving corbynite cult

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

[quote="crispix" post=""49761463"]

[/quote]

Not sure if anyone responded to this but I think this is an ichneumon wasp actually, possibly in the ophioninae family? They don’t sting, but are parasitoids and lay their eggs inside things so

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Borrovan posted:

Are we still using those 6 tests for any brexit deal? You know those ones that were brilliantly impossible to meet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

oh no what if it laid an egg in his

crispix posted:

NUDE rear end