Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

quote:

OpenChat has built an efficient consensus engine to solve unproven workload problems while increasing the friendliness of the environment, and all other blockchain connections will be fast and friendly.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So you have to mine ChatCoins to win the right to send a message?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ew no

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

History Comes Inside! posted:

If phone plans work the same in the US as they do everywhere else then the $5 a month is to make all that poo poo work in Japan. As in you would both need the plan to enable data for maps and translate and WhatsApp etc, it's not just for calls.

Otherwise if just your wife gets it, she has data/calls/texts and you don't have poo poo (or you do have poo poo but you get absolutely brutalised with roaming charges because you didn't take the plan, is the more likely scenario).

Granted, this is coming from Reddit, but someone there said they just automatically had LTE through Softbank even before turning off airplane mode when they landed and it worked the whole time without the $5.

But yeah, I’ll give Sprint a call to be sure. :10bux: isn’t a big deal.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
It seems like you'll get automatic data for free, and the $5 is if you actually want to make calls in addition to that.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I was referring to this, just launched today. Not this crap.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Original_Z posted:

It seems like you'll get automatic data for free, and the $5 is if you actually want to make calls in addition to that.

Yeah, that’s what I thought and everyone seemed to misunderstand that the $5 is the only way to get anything, LTE, calls, texts. The $5 is just calls.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
So part of my trip is 4 days in Kyoto. I've decided to do one Osaka day within those 4, but was wondering if it would be worth it that morning to swing down to see Himeji Castle? Looks like the bullet train from Kyoto to Himeji is just an hour, and we'll have an active Japan Rail pass during that time, so is the castle cool enough to take a detour? I reckon we can probably get to the castle when it opens at 9am, then take a bullet train back to Osaka in time for lunch, assuming we spend ~2 hours there.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I would go as far as to say that if you see any castles in Japan, Himeji is the one to see. It is also one of the few large, old castles that is still original construction.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Yeah, himeji's cool, and if you can shinkansen there it should reduce the pain- in- the- arse factor of getting there. I say go for it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s also only like a kilometer from Himeiji Station (where the bullet train will stop) to the castle park grounds, so it’s easy to walk or take a taxi to and from. It’s a really cool castle, but probably better appreciated in months that aren’t August.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

My vacation isn't til November so hoping for better weather then!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm starting to plan my 2020 April/May trip and I'm aiming to make Western Japan my focus this time around. Osaka will likely be my home base, but now I'm faced with the dilemma that I know nothing about Osaka.

I guess my first, and only real question is: Tokyo advice is basically "stay anywhere near the Yamanote" -- is there anything like this in Osaka? What will make my travel as convenient as possible? Obviously you can make exceptions and just stay anywhere near any metro station. Last two trips I stayed on the Odakyu, Oeido, and Chuo lines and never had a problem getting anywhere, even if it meant maybe taking an extra five minutes. So, just general advice for what to stay near in Osaka would be appreciated.

Things to consider:

- I'll be heading to Kyoto/Nara more than once
- Will be heading to Nagoya
- Will be doing day trips out, undecided on what yet

So I suppose ease of getting to a transit "hub" station is somewhat desired.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I'm starting to plan my 2020 April/May trip and I'm aiming to make Western Japan my focus this time around. Osaka will likely be my home base, but now I'm faced with the dilemma that I know nothing about Osaka.

I'm doing my trip in October with Kyoto as my base. I found there was more on my itinerary list there than Osaka, which has one or two tours/museums I want to see but mostly do shopping before leaving. Why did you choose it as your base? I could have overlooked some things.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My Kyoto itinerary was surprisingly small last time I visited. Outside of Fushimi Inari, Gion, and Pontocho there wasn't really much else I had planned. I left a few things for subsequent trips, such as seeing Kinkakuji/Ginkakuji and some other smaller sights. I'm not sure you're missing anything, and I haven't even started my Osaka itinerary so I may regret my basing out of Osaka once I get there, but I think it's big enough that I can spend a week and change there and still have enough to do.

Don't get me wrong, I really loved my stay in Kyoto, but I had a vastly different experience there than Tokyo, where I would just wander around and find things, whereas Kyoto I would wander around forever and just be in more suburban neighbourhoods without much to see. Now this is almost four months after the fact so I'm probably mis-remembering a lot, but that's how I'm approaching this trip.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 20, 2019

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Martytoof posted:

My Kyoto itinerary was surprisingly small last time I visited. Outside of Fushimi Inari, Gion, and Pontocho there wasn't really much else I had planned. I left a few things for subsequent trips, such as seeing Kinkakuji/Ginkakuji and some other smaller sights. I'm not sure you're missing anything, and I haven't even started my Osaka itinerary so I may regret my basing out of Osaka once I get there, but I think it's big enough that I can spend a week and change there and still have enough to do.

Don't get me wrong, I really loved my stay in Kyoto, but I had a vastly different experience there than Tokyo, where I would just wander around and find things, whereas Kyoto I would wander around forever and just be in more suburban neighbourhoods without much to see. Now this is almost four months after the fact so I'm probably mis-remembering a lot, but that's how I'm approaching this trip.

Did you spend any time in Arashiyama? I loved that area, and the hike up the mountain to the monkey habitat is cool too. Actually we had the opposite experience, in Kyoto we would wander around and find really cool things, even in places like Fushimi Inari. Not to say that's not possible in Tokyo, obviously it is, we just didn't walk around the right areas of Tokyo probably.

motedek
Oct 9, 2012

Martytoof posted:

So I suppose ease of getting to a transit "hub" station is somewhat desired.

I've stayed near Namba station twice and it was easy to get around within Osaka and to other cities.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
namba station would be my rec as well

you could also do umeda station i guess? but there's less around that to do, so

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

torb main posted:

Did you spend any time in Arashiyama? I loved that area, and the hike up the mountain to the monkey habitat is cool too. Actually we had the opposite experience, in Kyoto we would wander around and find really cool things, even in places like Fushimi Inari. Not to say that's not possible in Tokyo, obviously it is, we just didn't walk around the right areas of Tokyo probably.

Ah no, I did mostly eastern Kyoto. This time I do plan to take several day trips to see more north/west Kyoto, just not to base out of there.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVED Kyoto, and the fact that I didn’t stumble on more things says way more about luck and my choice of where I went than the city itself. I left Kyoto to go back to Tokyo and had a distinct feeling that next trip I would spend way less time in Tokyo and way more time in central Japan, which should say something.

In the end I’m weighing basing out of Kyoto and Osaka and right now Osaka still has the edge just because it’s somewhere I haven’t been. This is for 2020, but we’ll see where my 2021+ trips take me. I still want to see Hokkaido and Okinawa :)

motedek posted:

I've stayed near Namba station twice and it was easy to get around within Osaka and to other cities.

mikeycp posted:

namba station would be my rec as well

you could also do umeda station i guess? but there's less around that to do, so

Namba area seems to be where I bookmarked a ton of well priced AirBnB’s so this is up my alley.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I stayed in Namba for a few nights, and it was alright. I'm not a big fan of the station, but it's well posted. I primarily stayed out near Koshien, and getting into Namba/Umeda was only a ~20-25 min trip.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I forgot to take proximity to a Hub into account :O

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Wanna plan for a day trip from Tokyo. Any good recs?

I think I'm considering Nikko as #1 but not sure I wanna sit in that train for 4 hours. But man that place looks beautiful and I think it would be incredible.

Also considering Kamakura and Hakone, anyone been to any of these places (or all 3) and can give some thoughts? I'm not looking to spend the night.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Normally I would recommend just going to Nikko, but you are also spending 3 days in Kyoto on the trip, correct?

It's possible to have too many temples and shrines on a trip. Unless you actually study the stuff, you won't be able to tell the difference between one built in the 14th century instead of 12th century, this sect vs. that sect, or whatever. After you visit like 3, you're gonna start to blow through them more quickly. Same scenario as castles in the UK or cathedrals in Europe.

So I'd say Hakone solely because it's more about onsen and Mt. Fuji rather than shrines and temples. Nikko and Kamakura are certainly shrines and temples.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

To be honest, I was thinking of skipping all the temples/shrines in Nikko (maybe just check out Toshogu). I wanted to go check up the natural scenery really. Take some of the hikes, check out the lake, ride the ropeway, see some waterfalls. I was wondering if people had any suggestions or opinions on doing things like that.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 23, 2019

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

arisu posted:

To be honest, I was thinking of skipping all the temples/shrines in Nikko (maybe just check out Toshogu). I wanted to go check up the natural scenery really. Take some of the hikes, check out the lake, ride the ropeway, see some waterfalls. I was wondering if people had any suggestions or opinions on doing things like that.

You should go to Edomura in Nikko. It looks cheesy, but it was actually a lot of fun.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

u can't say sugoi until uv been 2 nikko

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
oku shiobara has some really good onsen if you want to be secluded.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Should I just be fine with purchasing this for travel in Tokyo only? This would include traveling to NRT, HND and Tokyo Disney.

One of my 'things' is that I love to collect 'offical' public transit cards from places that I visit, not the tourist ones or paper tickets. Recommendation as to what card to purchase?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

EconOutlines posted:

Should I just be fine with purchasing this for travel in Tokyo only? This would include traveling to NRT, HND and Tokyo Disney.

One of my 'things' is that I love to collect 'offical' public transit cards from places that I visit, not the tourist ones or paper tickets. Recommendation as to what card to purchase?

I actually asked about those cards earlier in this thread. Those cards don't cover JR trains, which makes things a pain in the butt. I'm sure if you want to min/max your money, those cards coupled with a SUICA for the JR trains would be worthwhile depending on how much you ride the non JR lines, but it just seems like a hassle when you're on vacation.

If you want an official transit card to keep, just keep the SUICA or PASMO.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

arisu posted:

I actually asked about those cards earlier in this thread. Those cards don't cover JR trains, which makes things a pain in the butt. I'm sure if you want to min/max your money, those cards coupled with a SUICA for the JR trains would be worthwhile depending on how much you ride the non JR lines, but it just seems like a hassle when you're on vacation.

If you want an official transit card to keep, just keep the SUICA or PASMO.

Thanks for the info. We're only going to be there for 4 days, so I don't anticipate riding the lines too long, or at least, not enough for a JR pass.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
SUICE/PASMO are pre-charged RFID cards that let you scan through gates instead of purchasing paper tickets. They are not related to the JR pass.

You're going to want a SUICA regardless of whether or not you get the subway card.

...oh wait, are you maybe misunderstanding what JR trains are? Of course the shinkansen is run by JR but there's a whole "subway" system in Tokyo that's run by JR. This and the Metro are the two major train systems in Tokyo. There's other private lines but they're mostly commuter rail lines. So the fact that the pass doesn't cover JR trains can be inconvenient if your destination is not covered by the Metro or has a less direct route than a JR line.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 26, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There’s at least seven different companies that own/operate train lines in Tokyo, only three or four of them fall under the official “Tokyo Metro” umbrella, and JR aren’t one of them. Yet JR lines are one of the most common, both to travel to/from the suburbs but also the Yamanote Line around the center of Tokyo.

Besides, as mentioned, a PASMO or SUICA card is the ‘more authentic’ one anyway. For four days, buy one and charge it to 5,000 yen and call it good.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

There are "Tokyo 1-Day Tickets" that cover both JR and Metro/Toei subways for 1590 yen. That leaves out Seibu and Tobu and won't get you to the airports or disney, but same with the subway pass.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you have an iPhone you can load your phy. SUICA onto your phone (set region to Japan first) and then you can do cool stuff like top it up with ApplePay.

Between trains and conbini I did most of my incidental non-tourist-shopping spending on my phone which was amazingly convenient.

You can actually provision a suit without having a physical card but then you need to install the SUICA app and enter all your information which is a little more convoluted. That said, I went that route and like having a backup physical SUICA in my wallet in case my phone goes missing or dies or something. I assume Android has something similar but I don't dabble in that space so someone else would have to confirm.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
afaik apple and sony phones have FeliCa, but i wouldn’t count on any significant portion of us market phones having it

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

We discussed it before in passing, but now that my trip is getting even closer I figure its time to ask for more info.

I went to love hotel hill in Tokyo last year, took pictures, but was ultimately disappointed that they had modernized and are no longer the trashy/gaudy neon signed wonders (outdated) books and pictures led me to believe. Does Osaka/Kyoto/Kansai Region have a similar famous area for them, or better yet does anyone know of some that got left behind the times and is still stuck in the 80s/90s that'd be worth a trip to take pictures of?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

We discussed it before in passing, but now that my trip is getting even closer I figure its time to ask for more info.

I went to love hotel hill in Tokyo last year, took pictures, but was ultimately disappointed that they had modernized and are no longer the trashy/gaudy neon signed wonders (outdated) books and pictures led me to believe. Does Osaka/Kyoto/Kansai Region have a similar famous area for them, or better yet does anyone know of some that got left behind the times and is still stuck in the 80s/90s that'd be worth a trip to take pictures of?

So, the tough thing is -- I absolutely know of a few that meet your descriptions...but they're not really accessible without a car. Because a lot of the ones that still are around are on the outskirts and exurbs and generally around the edges. There's one that looks like a massive cruise ship right next to one of the main highways, and I'm trying to remember which expressway/city it's located in -- I think suburban Yokohama?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

harperdc posted:

So, the tough thing is -- I absolutely know of a few that meet your descriptions...but they're not really accessible without a car. Because a lot of the ones that still are around are on the outskirts and exurbs and generally around the edges. There's one that looks like a massive cruise ship right next to one of the main highways, and I'm trying to remember which expressway/city it's located in -- I think suburban Yokohama?

Yeah that'd be cool to see, but I am sticking to the western end of Japan this time around, and I think thats eastern? I'm sure the same still hold true though, that they are likely on the outskirts and would need a car to see.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

u can't say sugoi until uv been 2 nikko

How about "sugee", or however it's spelled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
How about そうそうそう? :coal: