Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

I was considering what to do to fix Symmetra's biggest problem (that she really wants to get up close but has no way to survive doing so) and I had an idea. Make her a flying character who basically dance-flies around the map, and increase the range of her beam by a lot, but make her have to slow down to fire and eventually become stationary at maximum charge. She'd wind up being a weird, flying Bastion with auxiliary turrets and a reliance on blasting and then getting the hell out of Dodge.

she'd be cannon fodder for the snipers with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

AkumaHokoru posted:

she'd be cannon fodder for the snipers with this.

I mean, it would definitely require choosing your angle carefully.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

angerbeet posted:

Sigma should have shoes

His Talon skin does

Also I'm thinking they are really going to need to nerf either Orisa or Bastion into the ground soon, as they work together way too well now, especially if the second Tank is a Reinhardt or Sigma

Also in regards to Sigma, haven't played as him much yet, but based on how he is as a teammate or enemy, he actually feels pretty balanced right now, which is surprising for a new hero(meanwhile Baptiste still feels half-baked)

Lastly while I still suck as Hammond and Doomfist, I've had the "pleasure" of running into people who are good at playing them, and holy crap is it infuriating to play against one of those

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

drrockso20 posted:

which is surprising for a new hero(meanwhile Baptiste still feels half-baked)

Baptiste felt to me like one of the most balanced-at-launched heroes they've ever released.

His character design is boring and sucks poo poo though of course

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Baptiste felt to me like one of the most balanced-at-launched heroes they've ever released.

His character design is boring and sucks poo poo though of course

Maybe it's because I'm a console player, but he's always felt really wimpy and with a mediocre kit

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

Better than balancing them by letting whatever character the developer plays run roughshod over every other spec and class in the entire role for a whole expansion

gently caress you, Xelnath

Not just their own role, they also stomped on tanks' toes. Demo's glyphed Demon Form could tank non-raids.

But yes, to reaffirm: gently caress Xelnath.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Baptiste loving owns

-one of the highest skill cap heroes in the game
-"support ult on cooldown"
-fills the triple-shot burst-fire niche
-incredibly lethal if you can aim
-moon shoes
-fantastic voice lines
-is the star of the best short story in the OW universe that Blizzard has ever released (not a high bar to clear but still)

I think he isn't popular because he wasn't op at release like Ana was

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
As a playable hero he's really good. As a character he sucks. Bring me Evil Maui

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ana took time (and a long series of buffs over the course of several months even after people knew she was busted) to gain traction as well. bap is really good and giving him extra heal nades was a mistake, but his ult is kinda bad in the average player's hands. it's not as hard to make your team use nano since you can basically force it on someone

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I dunno, personally I've found his healing grenades to be kinda bad, they don't seem to do a lot of healing, they work in a weird and kinda unintuitive manner(it's silly that they go through teammates instead of impacting them and going off), and worst of all you can't heal yourself with them(particularly since the only way he can heal himself is through an ability with a really long cooldown)

Also while his jumping ability is neat, it's honestly of somewhat limited practicality a lot of the time(would work a lot better if you just held down jump to use it instead of having to crouch first)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the nades do 60 aoe healing vs ana's 75 single target and you have 12 of them. ana and bap also have the same rate of fire and reload speed. bap has absurd healing but it's better the more your team plays together

they only go through teammates if they're at full health iirc

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

bap's aoe healing is actually ridiculous, and revisiting the hero a couple months after his release I was shocked at how strong he was

nades work like ana darts, they penetrate if there's no one to heal, otherwise they explode

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Macaluso posted:

It's strange because this PTR has been up for a while, and plenty of people have given feedback that shows that her nerf was a bit too harsh. But they just... ignored it and let her go live like this? I don't get it.

Blizzard balancing plan:

1. Idiots complain on the forums that X is SO BROKEN OMG BLIZZ PLZZZ

2. Flip a coin: if heads, decrease one random number by 0.025%; if tails, remove any reason to play X under any circumstances.

3. Be surprised by player reactions to step 2. Push everything directly to live anyway.

4. Swear you'll "revisit" the changes.

There's no step 5.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drrockso20 posted:

I dunno, personally I've found his healing grenades to be kinda bad, they don't seem to do a lot of healing, they work in a weird and kinda unintuitive manner(it's silly that they go through teammates instead of impacting them and going off), and worst of all you can't heal yourself with them(particularly since the only way he can heal himself is through an ability with a really long cooldown)

Also while his jumping ability is neat, it's honestly of somewhat limited practicality a lot of the time(would work a lot better if you just held down jump to use it instead of having to crouch first)

His healing is good if you can hit your shots, not as high as Ana or Moira but very useful for healing a team that's clumped up, especially in conjunction with his aoe heal. The nades do in fact explode on contact with teammates, but again it can be difficult to hit moving targets with an arcing projectile. It can sometimes appear to go through them because the arc's tail makes the hitbox look bigger than it is.

It's a bit counterintuitive that he can't heal himself with his own nades but I can kind of see the logic in doing so. If he was able to heal himself for the full amount of nade's potential, he would be extremely difficult to kill; but if the nades only healed a fraction, you'd be staring at your feet a whole lot which doesn't make for a particularly compelling gameplay loop, especially when the other half of his gun wants to look directly at the enemy.

The jump is one of the most powerful parts of his kit. Aiming his nades is easier from high ground, plus it helps him take aggressive positioning and plink squishies with crossfire. I can understand the complaint that it controls kind of wonky, but again I can see why Blizzard chose to implement it that way. It gives an ability with no cooldown a cost by slowing your movement before you can use it; and it helps keep his normal jump consistent with that of the rest of the cast (jumping on press rather than on release). Otherwise whenever you'd try to do a normal hop with bap you may accidentally end up doing the floatier boosted jump which probably felt frustrating in playtesting.

SurelyForth
May 21, 2007

In ~gold, playing Baptiste is made infinitely less fun for the same reasons Orisa and Ana are- your teammates refuse to even acknowledge you, let alone work with you to save their lives. Like please stop spamming "I need healing" while juking all over the place and breaking LOS. Please stop walking out of my Immortality field that I threw down just for you so you don't get sniped while high nooning in the most open spot on the map.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
played 2 games of 2-2-2, and folks, having a goal and reasonable restrictions on your hero pool makes this game actually insanely fun

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sestze posted:

played 2 games of 2-2-2, and folks, having a goal and reasonable restrictions on your hero pool makes this game actually insanely fun

It is, though sometimes things just go screwy, among other things I was reminded quite bluntly just how infuriating it can be to deal with players who are good at Reaper, Tracer, and Zarya(which is especially annoying for me cause I'm mediocre at best with those three characters, so it makes me feel like a moron)

Also I'm becoming more and more certain that making it take longer to build up Ultimate meter on a universal level was a really bad idea, they should either revert it back to what it was before, or change it so that dealing damage to shields builds Ult once again(maybe at a reduced rate than shooting actual health though)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I'm so glad that No Limits and Mystery Heroes have endorsements now!

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
i played a bit of comp since total mayhem hasnt been seen in august at all and doesnt seem like it will be anytime soon

beta season more like leaver season, yikes

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

drrockso20 posted:

It is, though sometimes things just go screwy, among other things I was reminded quite bluntly just how infuriating it can be to deal with players who are good at Reaper, Tracer, and Zarya(which is especially annoying for me cause I'm mediocre at best with those three characters, so it makes me feel like a moron)

Also I'm becoming more and more certain that making it take longer to build up Ultimate meter on a universal level was a really bad idea, they should either revert it back to what it was before, or change it so that dealing damage to shields builds Ult once again(maybe at a reduced rate than shooting actual health though)

those two games of overwatch (1 win, 1 loss) were more fun and closer matches than any competitive or QP matches I have played in the last year.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZD4WH3NGLE

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

After playing New Brig a bit more, she might actually work but her kit is just kind of weird and counter intuitive especially if you are used to Old Brig. With her self heal and shield nerfs, she doesn't have the survivability to brawl anymore and the repair pack charges being on a six second cool down those don't give her sustainable healing. However inspire lasts 6 seconds and can be applied by whip shot which has a 4 second cooldown. So whip shot... is her main healing ability. I've been getting defensive assists cards with a 90-100% participation rate using whip shot to keep inspire up which is kind of nuts.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Iron Twinkie posted:

So whip shot... is her main healing ability.

The problem with this is it means she can't get her main healing going when you're in a shield war situation. This has always been an issue for her, but before it wasn't as big a deal because a) she was often a 3rd support, b) she had more utility outside of healing with her increased survivability and brawling, and c) with her old survivability it was easier and less risky to get into a position where you could trigger inspire when there was no safe inspire target around.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

anecdotal, but deathmatch has been way friendlier ever since they added endorsements.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Splinter posted:

The problem with this is it means she can't get her main healing going when you're in a shield war situation. This has always been an issue for her, but before it wasn't as big a deal because a) she was often a 3rd support, b) she had more utility outside of healing with her increased survivability and brawling, and c) with her old survivability it was easier and less risky to get into a position where you could trigger inspire when there was no safe inspire target around.

Her shield is also so weak now, but required to use her stun, that you find yourself wanting to not use it, which is a shame because it's her most iconic ability.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Role queue has me out of the gold/plat hellzone and I'm currently pushing diamond on support with Moira as a result. What a massive improvement, the game is genuinely fun again.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
bronze on all three roles, some things never change

someday total mayhem will come back, probably not today

i like 222, but i liked overwatch before too so either way i'm pretty happy

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Ad by Khad posted:

bronze on all three roles, some things never change

someday total mayhem will come back, probably not today

i like 222, but i liked overwatch before too so either way i'm pretty happy

Sup, Bronze buddy? Did you have a 400SR gap as well? Apparently I am just trash as a tank.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I was steadily in high gold low plat for the last seasons but got placed on silver on tanks and support. Bad dps players tilt me so hard I should consider quit playing teambased games or get professional help

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
why does my computer turn off every time i try to play this game dude. blizzard forum posts same problem no solutions from 2016, cool.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My tank role placed me in the high 2300s, which is middle ground of where I usually was playing tank and healer, 2200-2500. Healer role placed me at 2050. My tank placement games I got grouped with people who used voice chat and were friendly people. Contrasting that was the healer queues where I got placed in three silent games, one game in which there was voice chat but it was a constant stream of Rick and Morty quotes, and the last game in which everyone talked and was nice - my only healer win.

A few of my tank games and my last healer game had great groups of people who wanted to stay together, but it seems like the option to stay as a team is gone (or maybe missing from placement matches??).

From my two weekend afternoons with role queue I didn't see it benefitting the game at all. For me role queue feels like, at best, a sidegrade, but most likely a downgrade. I'll give it a few more weeks to see if things improve but I'm pessimistic.

LFG brought me back to the game last year and now it seems dead. RIP Overwatch enthusiasm. :(

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

It sounds like your SR number is dictating your opinion of whether the game is dead or alive, and also whether you're having fun or not.

That path leads to madness.

E: if stay as group is gone that does legitimately suck, but I feel like that's just for placement matches and was already like that?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 19, 2019

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

It sounds like your SR number is dictating your opinion of whether the game is dead or alive, and also whether you're having fun or not.

That path leads to madness.

E: if stay as group is gone that does legitimately suck, but I feel like that's just for placement matches and was already like that?

I don't care about SR and I didn't intend for my post to sound like I do. What I value most is finding a group of people who talk and are nice. That seems to be much harder to do now.

My gripe: LFG is dead. For the past month or so whenever I play there are 0-2 groups, usually zero. If I make a group no one joins. My role queue results were largely dictated by random chance. I'm sure if I deserve to be a higher healer I'll climb up to an appropriate SR. My fun with this game comes from good teammates and close matches, if I have those things I don't care about winning/ losing. My schedule is erratic so I can't easily find a consistent group to play with. LFG mostly solved that problem but it's dead recently.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't care about SR and I didn't intend for my post to sound like I do. What I value most is finding a group of people who talk and are nice. That seems to be much harder to do now.

My gripe: LFG is dead. For the past month or so whenever I play there are 0-2 groups, usually zero. If I make a group no one joins. My role queue results were largely dictated by random chance. I'm sure if I deserve to be a higher healer I'll climb up to an appropriate SR. My fun with this game comes from good teammates and close matches, if I have those things I don't care about winning/ losing. My schedule is erratic so I can't easily find a consistent group to play with. LFG mostly solved that problem but it's dead recently.

My bad, I pre-coffee-posted and thought you were saying the game was dead, not LFG. Thanks for clarifying.

That does suck and I never considered that side effect. Maybe once the novelty shine wears off the new queue, some folks will come back to LFG? You can't be the only one who doesn't want to roll the matchmaking dice two or three times before finding a good group.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

My bad, I pre-coffee-posted and thought you were saying the game was dead, not LFG. Thanks for clarifying.

That does suck and I never considered that side effect. Maybe once the novelty shine wears off the new queue, some folks will come back to LFG? You can't be the only one who doesn't want to roll the matchmaking dice two or three times before finding a good group.

It's cool, I mid-coffee posted so I wasn't clear as clear with my intent as I could have been.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wildtortilla posted:

LFG brought me back to the game last year and now it seems dead. RIP Overwatch enthusiasm. :(

Hopefully you friended some of those people while you had the chance :(

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

The Clowner posted:

Hopefully you friended some of those people while you had the chance :(

I did but I can't remember the last time I've seen anyone on my friends list while playing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

heeheex2 posted:

why does my computer turn off every time i try to play this game dude. blizzard forum posts same problem no solutions from 2016, cool.

Power supply issues?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

SKULL.GIF posted:

Power supply issues?

dunno how i would figure that out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene