Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Thanks for telling me. I should have read the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Randarkman posted:

To be fair he probably was a buff grandpa.

And there were two buff grandpas. I don't know why people would be leaving out the other one.

Left guy tackled, right guy beat.

Which left?

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Obligatory master race comment.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Eschenique posted:

Obligatory master race comment.

More like mashed racist

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Potrzebie posted:

Which left?

The dude with the biggest beard.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://twitter.com/Ygeman/status/1160969300141838339

lorf

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

S would gain a lot if their ministers learned to shut up.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sylvi Listhaug is awful, but she's kind of funny to appraise in a vacuum at times.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

A co-worker introduced me to his latest facebook conspiracy where it makes no sense that the Norwegian mass shooter was taken down by a 75 year old man. That he must have instead been beaten up by a bigger younger Muslim who fled the scene. This is further supported by the mosque security cameras mysteriously not working during the event.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Allah himself flowed through the elderly man and increased his power level massively

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

didn't that guy just tackle him while another granddad was the one who beat the snot out of him? if you're expecting people to run and hide and some dude barrels into you with full force you're going to fall over

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

V. Illych L. posted:

didn't that guy just tackle him while another granddad was the one who beat the snot out of him? if you're expecting people to run and hide and some dude barrels into you with full force you're going to fall over

No but you see

https://twitter.com/KTHopkins/status/1160467611223830529?s=20

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So since the Norwegian prime minister is accusing Sweden of exporting right-wing extremism, will the Danish prime minister accuse Sweden of exporting left-wing extremism since it's come out that one of the people involved in the bombing of the Danish tax offices has been politically active and at one point ran for a left-leaning party?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And also he's brown, so basically the perfect fodder for fashy types to really get their undergarments in a twist.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

So since the Norwegian prime minister is accusing Sweden of exporting right-wing extremism, will the Danish prime minister accuse Sweden of exporting left-wing extremism since it's come out that one of the people involved in the bombing of the Danish tax offices has been politically active and at one point ran for a left-leaning party?

Nah, they will probably accuse us of exporting the gang violence. There is the bombing and then the double murder in Copenhagen, both attributed to Swedes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

D. Ebdrup posted:

No worries, she's of the firm belief that all brown people are extremists regardless of external factors.

E: I stand corrected!

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Had no idea Trump was so interested in Greenland, first time I heard of this:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49367792

But isn't Greenland seeking independence from Denmark? USA can be free to abuse this country once it gains independence just like it does with all weak countries, no need to buy it.

Maybe the independence is too far off or something I dunno, last I heard they wanted complete autonomy by 2021

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Kamrat posted:

Had no idea Trump was so interested in Greenland, first time I heard of this:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49367792

But isn't Greenland seeking independence from Denmark? USA can be free to abuse this country once it gains independence just like it does with all weak countries, no need to buy it.

Maybe the independence is too far off or something I dunno, last I heard they wanted complete autonomy by 2021

my understanding is that greenland is seeking independence in the sense that it's nice to imagine an independent greenland someday, but at this moment it's very reliant on subsides from copenhagen to keep a functional society going, so it's not terribly likely in the immediate future

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

my understanding is that greenland is seeking independence in the sense that it's nice to imagine an independent greenland someday, but at this moment it's very reliant on subsides from copenhagen to keep a functional society going, so it's not terribly likely in the immediate future

Doesn’t Greenland suffer from a depressing amount of alcoholism and violence for being just 50k people.
Oh and rampant cronyism for that matter.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
As with a lot of post-imperial, colonized and exploited places/nations Greenland still suffers immensely from that. It has a disturbing amount of violence and abuse and suicide. Until they find some truly valuable and easily exploited natural resources, they are entirely dependent on subsidies from Denmark to keep the lights on. They look real good considering the, by now, inevitable climate changes though. I guess the subsidiary would just be a tiny drop in the bucket for USA, but looking at how they treat puerto rico and the other islands (guam, american samoa) it's not exactly an enticing proposition. That's without thinking about the supremely arrogant notion of saying to a (mostly) independent country that you'd like to buy them.

e: since this is the helllworld timeline, I fully expect Greenland to be part of the US islands in a couple of years.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 18, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

They have uranium and fuckloads of sand from the insane melt-off. Invest in Greenland now!

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Greenland comes with a claim on the north poles oil reserves that are being exposed as the ice melts.

A claim that Denmark can't enforce but the US can.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Eschenique posted:

Greenland comes with a claim on the north poles oil reserves that are being exposed as the ice melts.

A claim that Denmark can't enforce but the US can.

Don't be ridiculous! The Arctic Ocean belongs to Russia, they planted a flag at the bottom.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ah, so it's buidling up to that stupid US-Russia arctic war that was in Detroit: Become Human.

Cardiac posted:

Doesn’t Greenland suffer from a depressing amount of alcoholism and violence for being just 50k people.
Oh and rampant cronyism for that matter.

Everything is also really expensive, especially vegetables. Because it has to be imported a long way to get there. That doesn't combine well with widespread poverty and unemployment and neither does it work wonders for the health and life expectancy of the inhabitants.

Also I wouldn't call Greenland mostly independent. It's mostly autonomous, at least in Greenlander matters, but in no way is it independent or even capable of really being independent because it's essentially totally reliant on subsidies (not trade) from Denmark in order to support itself, as has been pointed out. To be independent Greenland needs resources (which will happen with global warming), a larger population and the ability to get food to support that population, either through profitable trade or agriculture (which might also become possible I think).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 19, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Of course, Trump being Trump he would probably end up purchase Grønland instead of Grønland by mistake.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Of course, Trump being Trump he would probably end up purchase Grønland instead of Grønland by mistake.
Trump would probably ask to have Amerika, a part of Hobro, repatriated.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Everyone shall become Amagerkaner

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
loving lol, he cancelled the visit because Mette F said on the news that she wasn’t interested in talking about selling Greenland.

E: Er der lige nogen der kan tjekke med Lange Grete om hvis USA overtager bloktilskuddet og lægger en ordenligt pose penge oveni, er hun så med på at det er en aftale? Jeg sku’ spørge fra en ven.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 21, 2019

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Revelation 2-13 posted:

loving lol, he cancelled the visit because Mette F said on the news that she wasn’t interested in talking about selling Greenland.

a stable genius

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

a stable genius

I can't wait for his reaction to satire.

https://politiken.dk/bagsiden/atsbagsiden/art7337782/Gr%C3%B8nlands-regeringschef-vil-k%C3%B8be-USA-tilbage

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Is Greenland even theoretically for sale? What an absurd reason to cancel a diplomatic visit. I do wonder of Greenland is anything other than a money pit for the Danish government, bet they can't wait to get rid but through self determination.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/SvD/status/1164160864435482626

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Flayer posted:

Is Greenland even theoretically for sale? What an absurd reason to cancel a diplomatic visit. I do wonder of Greenland is anything other than a money pit for the Danish government, bet they can't wait to get rid but through self determination.

Yeah, I don't think the Danish government could even sell Greenland, and if they did (or tried) there would be a huge international diplomatic backlash.

As much as Greenland is part of the Kingdom of Denmark, it is absolutely a country of its own, with its own people and their own culture and heritage. Under any circumstance other than outright invasion, only the Greenlandic people have the authority to determine what happens to Greenland.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Flayer posted:

Greenland is not Denmarks to sell, even if it is for sale - which it isn't.
Greenland is essentially self-governing with the exception of foreign affairs and defense - although it should be said that they trade for a bunch of subsidies from Denmark which have already been outlined in the thread.
Everyone who's in their right mind, judged by whether they laughed at this, has been laughing at this.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I think Denmark should have trolled Trump for a while and offered to trade it for Alaska or something equally impossible. Greenland for Ivanka maybe?

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Nenonen posted:

I think Denmark should have trolled Trump for a while and offered to trade it for Alaska or something equally impossible. Greenland for Ivanka maybe?

Ask for Hawaii and settle for Puerto Rico.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MRLOLAST posted:

Ask for Hawaii and settle for Puerto Rico.
Like Trump wouldn't retroactively make Obama ineligible to be president.

Nenonen posted:

Should've asked for the Danelaw.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Should've asked for the Danelaw.

And settled for Vinland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

As much as Greenland is part of the Kingdom of Denmark, it is absolutely a country of its own, with its own people and their own culture and heritage.

That we obliterated.

The right considers Greenland a rightful Danish possession because it wasn't colonialism because barely anyone lived there. The Americans can nuke its population if they want, but that sand and those remnant artifacts of a dead culture belong to the Queen.