Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tubgoat posted:

Well mates, time to search your Kamigawa bulk for Psychic Puppetry, a $5 common.
Ideas Unbound is like 3-4 now, too.

What happened now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Count Bleck posted:

What happened now?

People like playing twiddle storm

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Time posted:

People like playing bad decks

Hello and welcome to Pet Decks, where the decks are jokes and the results don't matter

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Hi,

Not entirely sure if this is the best place for this sort of post, but out of the 14 different Magic threads this seems like the most general.

Recently my ten year old son and I attended GenCon as we live in Indianapolis and it's pretty easy for us to just show up. I have known MagicTG has existed for years, and after attending GenCon my son and I are crazy about board/card games.

We were in Target a few days ago, and my son saw this in the toy section as he heard me saying a few days before that I was interested in trying it out: https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gather...=gateway&sr=8-4

Well, now we're both hooked. My son keeps kicking the poo poo out of me, I think the two decks in the started set are unbalanced or I'm a lovely player and/or he's awesome. Anyway, after starting to read into where to go from here I'm getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information, game formats, sets available, etc... I have no idea where to go from here.

It will be mostly my son and I playing each other, with the possibility that I may attend some games at the local game shops as we're lucky enough to have some good ones in the area. I'm not going to mortgage my house, and I'm not going to spend $50+ on a single card. I just want to have fun playing with my son, and maybe a bit in my very limited free time as I'm 39 with a demanding job along with other hobbies.

Are dueling decks like these worth getting?
https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gather...=gateway&sr=8-9
https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gather...=gateway&sr=8-5

How about deck builders?
https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gather...gateway&sr=8-13

Or card assortments?
https://www.amazon.com/1000-Assorte...=gateway&sr=8-2

Also, apparently there are other game formats? We've been playing according to the rules in the starter kit, is that the Casual format that I've been seeing talked about? Or is that Standard? I guess this sort of thing is inevitable after being around for 15+ years.

I've also installed Magic the Gathering Arena after seeing there was a deck promo code in the starter kit
box. Seems fun so far, but holy loving poo poo is there too many cards to keep up with. I applied all the free promo codes I could find, and now I have an overwhelming number of cards to choose from. Maybe I should stick to playing Mass Effect 3 every 2 weeks like I've been doing.

Thanks!

Risket fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 19, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The duel decks seem like the best product for you and your kid to play each other since they're prebuilt, not too expensive, and not terrible. The other two things are garbage.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Duel decks are a great product if you just want to play against your son - you get two decks that are reasonably balanced against each other, and each deck has an interesting theme to it. (Be sure to pick a set with themes you think you'll enjoy!)

The other things I'd suggest are the welcome decks - if you go into one of your local game stores they should be able to give you (literally, for free) some 30-card decks for you to get started with. (You probably won't find these online - they're a promotional thing to get new players to visit a local game store and get a toehold in the community). While you're there, you should ask about the next Prerelease - prereleases happen every time a new set of cards is released, and is everyone's first chance to try them out. For a prerelease, everyone is building their decks from a set of booster packs that they open on the day, so you're actually on a level playing field with the folks that spend hundreds of dollars on their deck.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 19, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The various play formats that an LGS will do differ based on what cards are and aren't legal. Any store will advertise a given event's format ahead of time and will help you figure out if your deck is legal for said format.

You could also look out for Draft or Sealed events where you're given booster packs ahead of time and you build a deck on the spot using the cards they contain. That might be a good way to build up a little paper collection that you and your son can then use to alter your duel decks for head to head play.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

evilweasel posted:

The duel decks seem like the best product for you and your kid to play each other since they're prebuilt, not too expensive, and not terrible. The other two things are garbage.

Yea sealed product with random cards is lovely value even for casual players.

Risket posted:

It will be mostly my son and I playing each other, with the possibility that I may attend some games at the local game shops as we're lucky enough to have some good ones in the area.

If there's a possibility of getting into playing at local stores, the commander preconstructed decks might be a good option (a new series is coming out soon, I'm unsure of the availability of older ones). They're more expensive than the other preconstructed stuff but commander is super popular and casual enough that you can get into it without spending shitloads of money. The precons will probably take some upgrading to get them to a point where you can take them to a local store, but if you do your homework you can make them a lot more powerful without spending much.

Your local stores might also do draft nights, which are a good way to check out the local scene without having to buy your own deck. They're probably 10-15 dollars to enter and you can do drafts on arena to learn the rules and get some practice in so you don't embarrass yourself too bad. The current draft set is core 2020. Also look out for the prerelease next month, those are really popular and attract a lot of casual players such as yourselves.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
as much as I love draft, it is not something I would recommend a new player jump into

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the replies!

I'll get a hold of a duel deck or two, that sounds like something right up our alley. My son is a Pokemon fan as well, though for whatever reason he doesn't want to play the game he just collects the cards so I may pick up an assortment or two in the future just so we can do a little collecting.

I assume LGS means Local Game Store?

Regarding the game store events, I'll look into that, very glad they do that sort of thing.

Thank you very much!

Risket fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 19, 2019

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

dragon enthusiast posted:

as much as I love draft, it is not something I would recommend a new player jump into

there really should be premade draft products for new players: booster packs with set contents, maybe, carefully curated for color/power balance. put a little watermark on each card or even a tiny number in the corner to indicate which pack it is. balance it for four players, or even make it a rochester draft. that way you can reuse the cards to practice!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Risket posted:

Thanks for the replies!

I'll get a hold of a duel deck or two, that sounds like something right up our alley. My son is a Pokemon fan as well, though for whatever reason he doesn't want to play the game he just collects the cards so I may pick up an assortment or two in the future just so we can do a little collecting.

I assume LGS means Local Game Store?

Regarding the game store events, I'll look into that. I'm glad they do that sort of thing, there's too much of a barrier to entry to too many hobbies. I've never understood why some people hate it when "newbies" enter their precious little hobby...

Thank you very much!

LGS does indeed mean local game store and there are several throughout Indy. I play regularly at Game Time in Castleton, PM me if you have questions about the Magic scene or where to play around town. Especially if you decide to do a prerelease, I’d be happy to sit down with you and your kid and help if you’re interested.

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lawnie posted:

LGS does indeed mean local game store and there are several throughout Indy. I play regularly at Game Time in Castleton, PM me if you have questions about the Magic scene or where to play around town. Especially if you decide to do a prerelease, I’d be happy to sit down with you and your kid and help if you’re interested.
Oh nice! I work in Castleton, I've been meaning to stop in at Game Time for a while now.

Thank you for the offer, I'll gladly take you up on that if we have the time! Right now we're between sports/Scouts for my son so it should be doable. Again, thank you

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

dragon enthusiast posted:

Agreed. While Draft is great, it's got A LOT going on. Sealed Pre-release events on the other hand I would highly recommend. All the fun of opening packs, getting new cards, and deck building in a tournament where the stakes couldn't be lower.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Risket posted:

Regarding the game store events, I'll look into that. I'm glad they do that sort of thing, there's too much of a barrier to entry to too many hobbies. I've never understood why some people hate it when "newbies" enter their precious little hobby...

Nobody hates newbies, there's just a bit of a culture clash when one person is trying to optimize their standard deck and the other person built their deck with the strategy of "more dragons = better". The vast majority of people are friendly and more than willing to give advice to newer players.

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

little munchkin posted:

Nobody hates newbies, there's just a bit of a culture clash when one person is trying to optimize their standard deck and the other person built their deck with the strategy of "more dragons = better". The vast majority of people are friendly and more than willing to give advice to newer players.
Good point, that was more of a general comment to some of the passive aggressive attitude towards new people I've found in some hobbies. Case in the point the weird guy I met at GenCon when I was asking questions about Battletech, as he seemed amused that I didn't understand these "newbie" concepts.

I'll delete that statement.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Some people who play games have poor social skills. Ignore them and cast your fireballs and dragons.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think most well-adjusted people at the game store want you to have a good time. So when you walk up to a stranger you've seen playing games and are like, "Hey, I'm new and looking to jam, are you interested?" there's a 90% chance he's testing Legacy or something. He might say, "Sure if you have a deck I can borrow" but he might also just say no because he knows you're not going to enjoy playing against him and he's there to test for a specific thing.

Nobody at the game store is out to gatekeep you, just know that's not the only reason they might not want to play with you. But your chances of picking up games with randoms will go way up if you have two decks of your own.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
If you, as a new player, have $15 to throw away on a pile of rares, I'd recommend the absolute poo poo out of draft.

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Good points all, I guess I was projecting a bit about past experiences elsewhere when I said that, especially since my experience with the Magic community has been this thread which you guys have been great.

I'm going to grab a duel deck, but I've come across a couple of other things and I was wondering whatthey were.

What is the difference between:
Planeswalker decks: https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gather...gateway&sr=8-13
Challenger decks: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PWXX3H2/ref=psdc_2522067011_t1_B07PY4HBLV

This Reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/a0z69v/planeswalker_or_challenger_decks/ says that Challenger decks are not Standard legal, why is that? What is the difference between Casual and Standard?

Risket fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 19, 2019

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Planeswalker decks are a bit like the Duel Decks. They're lower complexity and lower power, but if you got 2-3 of them they'd all play fair against one another. They are aimed at new players.

They also come with booster packs. Their purpose is, "parent and kid (or a couple) spending $30 on a lark in Target on something they can do together." You go home, play a few games, swap decks a few times. Open your packs and, "Oh hey wouldn't this card be really good in the deck you were just playing? And this card looks nuts, but we don't have a deck in that color ..."

The Challenger decks are standard legal CURRENTLY, but will not be in about 6 weeks. They're aimed at more established players as an easy on-ramp into standard (or as pick-up-and-play decks for people who want to play in FNM tournaments without a ton of investment, like an IRL net-deck kinda).

I always kind of pictured the purpose of Challenger decks to be, "new player walks into the store having heard there's a tournament but not knowing what standard is." The store wants something to sell him that he can use to enter the tournament, keep him feeling good and in the store, but won't get completely outclassed like a intro deck.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 19, 2019

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ok, got it, thank you.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Tubgoat posted:

Well mates, time to search your Kamigawa bulk for Psychic Puppetry, a $5 common.
Ideas Unbound is like 3-4 now, too.

It's still 2 cents in Europe, just wait for Card Kingdom to buy out MKM and ship it over.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
posting without commentary
https://twitter.com/wildbangarang/status/1163402737062699009

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Can't wait to see players at the LGS in that.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Risket posted:

This Reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/a0z69v/planeswalker_or_challenger_decks/ says that Challenger decks are not Standard legal, why is that? What is the difference between Casual and Standard?

Standard is a competitive format. Each competitive format has a specific list of what cards/sets you can and cannot use. Other competitive formats include Modern, Legacy, Vintage, etc. Challenger decks are built to be Standard legal at the time of their release, but Standard rotates what cards are legal in it every year or so, so that specific deck you linked will stop being legal come early October.

Casual just means you're playing someone else for fun and in that case use whatever cards you want.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

That is one of the first things I think about when I think of MTG players.

Fashion.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Sickening posted:

Fashion.

my wife knows what magic is, has absolutely zero interest in playing it, and wants two of those three sets of leggings. so there's a market.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Sickening posted:

Fashion.

Lol, nerds wearing nerdy clothes/apparel to signal their nerdiness is absolutely a thing, and I'm sure you've seen plenty of it yourself. I'm surprised it took them this long to do more than tees with terrible slogans, honestly.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

my wife knows what magic is, has absolutely zero interest in playing it, and wants two of those three sets of leggings. so there's a market.

My wife knows what Magic is, has absolutely zero interest in playing it, and when I linked her those leggings she replied "Please god no"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hot take: Magic designs/iconography can look good on clothing if kept simple and understated. These leggings are neither of those things.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Completely ignoring the cringe factor on this (which is a powerful statement by itself), these leggings look like poo poo. The patterns are too busy, which combines with the washed-out colors to give them a muddled appearance overall. You have to stop and think about it for a moment to puzzle out what it's even trying to look like. The fact that they're clothes with different styles of clothing painted on them in ways that don't line up with where they'd actually be on a normal body makes it even harder to figure out what the hell is going on. It's like staring into the eyes of an Oblivion NPC.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The Jace bathrobe is nice I guess.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

which one does she not like?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

The purple ones look like they're being worn backwards.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
absolutely going to wear the full jace getup 24/7

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ilmucche posted:

The purple ones look like they're being worn backwards.

Yeah those are the worst leggings I've ever seen.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
honestly they should just reboot brawl as the new extended. Having a new player walk into a store with a pile of cards they bought from the rack at Target and being told their deck isn't legal is a pretty bad feeling for a hyper casual format

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sold. Where do you get some?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Sold. Where do you get some?

The trash