Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Stinky_Pete posted:

I came here to receive this answer in a more convincing way so, what do I stand to lose by shifting my 401(k) from thirds in domestic index, foreign index, and bonds, to 100% bonds for a few years? I assume it depends on how much time is left in the plan for the difference to compound over, but I'm not convinced that the average growth of the past century should be assumed for the coming century anyway, also I feel like I'm being forced by Vanguard to depend on things like private prisons that I'm personally trying to destroy

One of the worst things that could happen is that you time it perfectly and get out of stocks just before they go down, and then time the bottom perfectly and get your money back into stocks right when they hit the bottom.

This would be terrible because it would reinforce your extremely bad idea that you are special and can time the market, when in reality you would merely be experiencing luck. Having been convinced that you can tell when the market is about to fall and when it's about to turn around, you would try to do this again in the future, and the odds are really really good that actually you'd wind up loving yourself over later in life, when you have a lot more money at stake than you do now.

The reason people say "do not time the market" is because even the highly paid professional market-timers, with massively more data and resources available to them than you have, are worse than a random monkey at timing the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Stinky_Pete posted:

I came here to receive this answer in a more convincing way so, what do I stand to lose by shifting my 401(k) from thirds in domestic index, foreign index, and bonds, to 100% bonds for a few years? I assume it depends on how much time is left in the plan for the difference to compound over, but I'm not convinced that the average growth of the past century should be assumed for the coming century anyway, also I feel like I'm being forced by Vanguard to depend on things like private prisons that I'm personally trying to destroy

Read this again because even if you are perfect at timing the market, you're still barely better than just putting it all in on Jan 1st.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Sobriquet posted:

How long were you there? Matching contributions typically vest over a period of 2-5 years. I just timed quitting a job that had 50% vesting cliffs at years 1 and 2 and came out with double what I would have if I hadn’t calculated my dates very carefully.

In general all employers can eat dicks from a bag, though, yeah.

A hair over 5 years, like 3 weeks after I hit 80% vesting... wasn't waiting specifically for that, but the timing worked out well. It actually kept me from walking out without something lined up a couple times...

But that said, none of my other un-vested money disappeared. My account is still showing the full match dollar amount (aside from what they took out) and then showing my 80% vested number next to it.

And now that I'm looking at the numbers, there's something weird going on... I'm going to have to look deeper tonight when I have more time. I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but the numbers just aren't adding up.

Requested the plan details last night, still waiting for the e-mail...

Trabant posted:

I'll never again accept a job with that kind of vesting schedule. I waited more than a year to leave a dead-end job because of that, while the job I left it for had the match vest immediately.

I have never had a job where the vesting schedule WASN'T 6 years.

Stinky_Pete posted:

I came here to receive this answer in a more convincing way so, what do I stand to lose by shifting my 401(k) from thirds in domestic index, foreign index, and bonds, to 100% bonds for a few years?

You stand to lose gains. Sure your money will be safer, but you might be selling at a low point. You don't know which direction the market is headed, or when it's going that way. Will it go down? Probably. When? Who knows! It might skyrocket for a year until it all comes crashing down, and you'd miss all that by pulling out.

Read the links posted. Countless people have run analyses on this very subject and have all come to the conclusion that statistically speaking, and based on historical data, your best strategy is to invest your money the instant you are able to.

In fact many people have built calculators using historical data. Take this one for example:

https://dqydj.com/sp-500-historical-return-calculator/

It allows you to enter a number of years/months and it'll give you the statistics for the each time period of that length in the history of the SP500. So if you tell it 30 years, it'll give you the worst 30-year period, the best 30-year period, and in general a full statistical breakdown of every 30-year period in history.

Bottom line is that this is a well studied subject, and the data shows that trying to time the market ONLY works if you're good at it. But the thing is you're NOT good at it, and even highly paid professionals doing this full time get it wrong sometimes. If anyone could get it right all the time, this wouldn't be a conversation.

The sky has been falling for the last 3 years. "Lead economic indicators" have been pointing to recession for quite a while now, yet here we are. Even if the indicators are right, you don't know EXACTLY when it's going to hit, how bad it's going to be, or how long it's going to last.

You don't know what the market is going to do. Nobody knows. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something.

Stinky_Pete posted:

but I'm not convinced that the average growth of the past century should be assumed for the coming century anyway,

Why not? 100 years is a really long drat time and historical data encompasses booms, busts, wars, global recessions, etc. If you think this doesn't average out market behavior over a long period, I don't know what else to tell you.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

DaveSauce posted:

Why not? 100 years is a really long drat time and historical data encompasses booms, busts, wars, global recessions, etc. If you think this doesn't average out market behavior over a long period, I don't know what else to tell you.

planet's dyin', Cloud

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Knowing what the market is going to do is super easy... if you're the president... and you tweet a lot...

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I can assure you with a high level of confidence that our wannabe mobster president has no clue how any markets work.

quote:

Trump Panicked As Stocks Fell, Called Top 3 Bank CEOs

:cripes:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Knowing what the market is going to do is super easy... if you're the president... and you tweet a lot...

I thought the only investor class that consistently outperformed the stock market was Congress :v:

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

DaveSauce posted:

A hair over 5 years, like 3 weeks after I hit 80% vesting... wasn't waiting specifically for that, but the timing worked out well. It actually kept me from walking out without something lined up a couple times...

But that said, none of my other un-vested money disappeared. My account is still showing the full match dollar amount (aside from what they took out) and then showing my 80% vested number next to it.

And now that I'm looking at the numbers, there's something weird going on... I'm going to have to look deeper tonight when I have more time. I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but the numbers just aren't adding up.

Huh, hope you can get it figured out then. Would be nice to be able to stick it to them. Now that I think of it the non-vested cash should not be pulled out that way anyway (as where you see the vested amount). Also I think some companies let you come back and resume vesting after time away. Good luck!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

totalnewbie posted:

Read this again because even if you are perfect at timing the market, you're still barely better than just putting it all in on Jan 1st.

It's a fascinating article... That said, it's still loving depressing to me to see that there is a 20 year period between 1955-1974 that the scenario where you didn't invest came out ahead.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Astro7x posted:

It's a fascinating article... That said, it's still loving depressing to me to see that there is a 20 year period between 1955-1974 that the scenario where you didn't invest came out ahead.

I'd like to see it more as a firecalc set of 20 year periods rather than just bookending kind of arbitrarily

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

I can assure you with a high level of confidence that our wannabe mobster president has no clue how any markets work.

:cripes:

I NEED this recession, dammit.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Sobriquet posted:

Huh, hope you can get it figured out then. Would be nice to be able to stick it to them. Now that I think of it the non-vested cash should not be pulled out that way anyway (as where you see the vested amount). Also I think some companies let you come back and resume vesting after time away. Good luck!

So Vanguard doesn't have the "Plan Document." They only have the dumbed-down "summary" which gives me no real answers because the match is determined by a specific formula only shown in the plan document.

Guess I have to confront my old job blind and hope they don't lie to me.

Honestly it's probably legit, but they dicked me over several times in a variety of ways so I'm going to make them work for this one. It's not a lot of money and probably not worth my time, but gently caress 'em.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Just invert the yield curve again. Bing bing boom. So simple. Here, I inverted it for you, all you have to do is distribute it to the banks.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I feel this yield curve inversion thing really took off in the past 5 years, and I wonder if when people start realizing something is being measured it stops being a good measure.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Residency Evil posted:

I feel this yield curve inversion thing really took off in the past 5 years, and I wonder if when people start realizing something is being measured it stops being a good measure.

Kinda Goodhart's law?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
See also: all the people who chase small-cap value.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Astro7x posted:

That's important only if you need all your money in 1974. Also, unique circumstance of oil shock and the market "recovered" within a year.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

This phenomenon has been well-documented for decades and the government bond market isn't driven by a bunch of retail momentum chasers. If your hope is that This Time Is Different, it is, but probably not for the reason you think.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
So I have some non-trivial amount in cash that I was hoping to move into my portfolio, but with this current volatility, part of me is tempted to wait for some kind of a stock market crash so that I can make the most out of the opportunity. Is it fair to say that such crash might not even happen, and timing this is mostly a fool's errand?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DreadCthulhu posted:

So I have some non-trivial amount in cash that I was hoping to move into my portfolio, but with this current volatility, part of me is tempted to wait for some kind of a stock market crash so that I can make the most out of the opportunity. Is it fair to say that such crash might not even happen, and timing this is mostly a fool's errand?

Read the last page or two of this thread for your answer.

But: when do you need/want this money, and are you willing to delay that expense if the market is down when you intended to use it?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

DreadCthulhu posted:

Yes, see thread title, don't time the market.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Why do you have a non-trivial amount of cash? Inheritance or were you already timing the market?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I have some as well because I sold two lots of employee stock in the last 3 weeks, and rather than immediately invest it back into index funds, I'm trying to figure out whether I want to do some remodeling and add a covered patio to my backyard. It would be nice for my pup of nothing else. Other option was to use it up remade my broken hot tub, but between haul away, purchase, shipping, and installation, the hot tub didn't seem nearly as worth it compared to the patio or reinvesting.

But now I have to look into contractors or DIY options, and I'm lazy. :(

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

What proportion of your portfolio would you consider investing in exotics like art?

Asking because I have ties to the art world and know a few curators, and would love to support some young artists while growing a collection. Not being super rich this will be in the "student art" category, but I'd be interested if anyone else has experience with art buying at the low end of the market. My gut feeling would be that no more than 5% of a portfolio should be in exotics, but I'm no expert.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Purple Prince posted:

What proportion of your portfolio would you consider investing in exotics like art?

Asking because I have ties to the art world and know a few curators, and would love to support some young artists while growing a collection. Not being super rich this will be in the "student art" category, but I'd be interested if anyone else has experience with art buying at the low end of the market. My gut feeling would be that no more than 5% of a portfolio should be in exotics, but I'm no expert.

0%

If you appreciate art, buy it for the feeling it gives you when you look at it on your wall. But it should come out of your entertainment fund after all your retirement accounts are maxed out. It should not be part of your investment portfolio.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Purple Prince posted:

A good guideline is that you should invest as much in art as you do in lottery tickets; i.e. art is an entertainment purchase and not a reliable investment. Buy it if you like it and by all means support new artists, but realize that 99%+ of all art never has a higher market value than the day it leaves the gallery for the first time, and it will almost definitely wind up at a garage sale, not an auction house, when you die. Even less of it will outperform inflation; only the extreme outliers will ever outperform an index fund. If you pick a few winners, hey, bonus, but don't plan on it.

As you suggested, these guidelines go out the window if your conventional portfolio already has seven or eight zeroes in it, but then you can afford to play in the deep end, and the "student art" and "budding artist" work is still in your "lottery tickets" asset class.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Investing means buying an asset that should generate a return. Buying something with the hopes it goes up in value is gambling.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Dustoph posted:

Investing means buying an asset that should generate a return. Buying something with the hopes it goes up in value is gambling.

This is nonsense. Buying non-dividend stocks like AMZN doesn't generate a return. People invest in poo poo because they believe it'll be worth more tomorrow than today. That's it. Gold doesn't generate return. Buying land and not renting it out doesn't generate a return. Buying developed world bonds with negative interest doesn't generate a return. Buying collectible stamps or rare wine doesn't generate a return.

Most of the "returns" have been through the value of the asset going up not through interest or profit distribution.

Collectibles are a perfectly fine asset class. It's just extremely illiquid, prone to forgeries and have overhead to store. So if you're not rich you probably don't want to deal with the headache.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Where were you when a goon said Art and Amazon are the same type of investment

Amazon is not a Greater Fool asset. It has value based on its growth prospects, business operations, cash flow, real estate, physical inventory, etc

The art is paint and canvas and whatever another fool would pay for it

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

My god if you're at the loving point in your life when you're considering diversifying into "art" please please please just donate some money to your local animal shelter or something instead.

For gently caress's loving sake.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Where were you when a goon said Art and Amazon are the same type of investment

Amazon is not a Greater Fool asset. It has value based on its growth prospects, business operations, cash flow, real estate, physical inventory, etc

The art is paint and canvas and whatever another fool would pay for it

Like bitcoin.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
All stocks that don't have dividends are greater fool assets. This is not even a point of contention. If I have a piece of paper giving me 20% ownership of my local pizzeria and it doubles its profits next year, my piece of paper is still worth nothing unless I can get someone to buy it for a good price.

The qualifying question in whether something is a greater fool asset is if I still make money if all the markets are permanently closed and I can't get anyone else to buy it from me. Dividends and interest bearing instruments are the only ones which will make money without needing someone else to buy it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anarkii posted:

All stocks that don't have dividends are greater fool assets. This is not even a point of contention. If I have a piece of paper giving me 20% ownership of my local pizzeria and it doubles its profits next year, my piece of paper is still worth nothing unless I can get someone to buy it for a good price.

You heard it here, folks. 20% of a pizza joint is the same thing as a non-dividend large cap equity being traded on the NYSE.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Anarkii posted:

The qualifying question in whether something is a greater fool asset is if I still make money if all the markets are permanently closed and I can't get anyone else to buy it from me. Dividends and interest bearing instruments are the only ones which will make money without needing someone else to buy it.

This is all incorrect. Please read some or all of the books from the OP!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you're in here, posting about whether you should or shouldn't diversify in to art, you should not be diversifying in to art

i know some people who are really plugged in and have done extremely well in the art market but that's because they knew their poo poo and had a good eye and liked the pieces they bought intrinsically not because they sat around scratching their beards saying "how can i diversify out of global equities"

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Common Stock, i.e. partial ownership of a company which has revenue and strives to increase its profits - literally the same as wine and stamps from an investment perspective.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Hoodwinker posted:

Common Stock, i.e. partial ownership of a company which has revenue and strives to increase its profits - literally the same as wine and stamps from an investment perspective.

Good job with the false equivalence. I'm neither advocating for collectibles nor saying they're the same. I dispute the notion that only assets with "returns" without needing the value of the asset to go up are valid investments.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Anarkii posted:

Good job with the false equivalence. I'm neither advocating for collectibles nor saying they're the same. I dispute the notion that only assets with "returns" without needing the value of the asset to go up are valid investments.
I see you didn't bother directing any comments at the other, slightly less facetious posts being made above me. :thunk:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This is a learning opportunity, not a time for a debate. He has a common misunderstanding of where stock value is derived from.

Don't dog pile him with sass or he'll do the goon thing of tripling down on the bad opinion and making it the core of his identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is a learning opportunity, not a time for a debate. He has a common misunderstanding of where stock value is derived from.

Don't dog pile him with sass or he'll do the goon thing of tripling down on the bad opinion and making it the core of his identity.
:ironicat: