Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

holy loving poo poo :psyboom:

CactusWeasle posted:

Michelin Pilot race from Road America, Robin Liddell in the Camaro goes from 4th to 2nd in one move on the last lap, and the lead McLaren seemed to have lifted 50 feet before the line thinking he had it won and passed that for the win by 0.07

e: McLaren hit the pit speed button instead of the radio celebrating. Oops :v:

You forget to mention that the "4th to 2nd move on the last lap"? Around the outside at Canada Corner, in the wet. My goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

holy loving poo poo :psyboom:

You forget to mention that the "4th to 2nd move on the last lap"? Around the outside at Canada Corner, in the wet. My goodness.

Needs a small trailer behind his car for his balls after that pass.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

My kingdom for a commentator that has a volume that isn't incoherent shouting.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Dudley posted:

My kingdom for a commentator that has a volume that isn't incoherent shouting.

Whoever did the first stint on the Spa stream was loving excellent. They spoke calmly but quickly and instantly knew the name of every driver in every car they looked at.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

an oddly awful oud posted:

The Acuras seem untouchable on one lap pace at Road America but if the Mazdas still have an advantage in tire degradation even with a net 10kg weight increase, they might still have a chance to make it three in a row

Cadillac is probably hopeless, they can't carry the cornering speed of the other cars and would have to do something strategy-wise to make up for the deficit in pace

No idea where the Nissan stands, they've been up and down in the free practices. Probably competitive on pace if all the stars align with their "get a favorable yellow to put Colin Braun in the car ASAP to finish the race" strategy

NBC should hire me as an analyst

Granted, I neglected to account for Harry Tincknell’s absolutely enormous balls in my assessment, but that still puts me way ahead of Leigh Diffey

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That final lap was nuts. RA is so good.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Decent end to the W Series season, with Brands GP delivering just enough overtaking for some interest. Chadwick takes the title but made hard word of it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Oh hey the W Series is working

https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/1161332970269151237

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Eh? She’s taking one race in the CAT-sponsored Meyer-Shank Acura because another one of the women there is running the Suzuka 10 Hours this weekend. “Woman replaces another woman in the all-women lineup” isn’t exactly “W Series working” in my view, but maybe I’m just too down on the W Series.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm not gonna admit W Series worked until I at least see one of them in a good F2 team.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

She basically hasn’t raced in several years due to lack of funding until the series came along, so I doubt she was on the team’s radar until she started racing in the series.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Big Huski Boi posted:

I'm not gonna admit W Series worked until I at least see one of them in a good F2 team.

Quoting because I’m down.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Big Huski Boi posted:

You don't get to F2 because you displayed driving talent, you get to F2 because daddy owns 3 oil companies

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Gosia Rdest drove an R8 LMS in the Rolex 24 with Ashley Freiberg before the W Series even began

It's really not that hard to get your foot on the rung when it comes to IMSA GTD, I think to prove W Series' point they'd have to get drivers straight into, like, F2 or LMP1/Hypercar or DPi without forcing them to scrub toilets in the lower tiers of competition first

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Powell was literally scrubbing toilets before W Series came calling (the family business is in plumbing).

One of the benefits of the series might be to put on the focus on the lady drivers with talent, not just token guestures towards the one you want to jump in the sack with.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 14, 2019

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

You don't get to F2 because you displayed driving talent, you get to F2 because daddy owns 3 oil companies

Yes, which is exactly the kind of obstacle the W Series needs to overcome.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

an oddly awful oud posted:

Gosia Rdest drove an R8 LMS in the Rolex 24 with Ashley Freiberg before the W Series even began

It's really not that hard to get your foot on the rung when it comes to IMSA GTD, I think to prove W Series' point they'd have to get drivers straight into, like, F2 or LMP1/Hypercar or DPi without forcing them to scrub toilets in the lower tiers of competition first

W Series is just Formula 3. There have always been multiple F3 series.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

drgitlin posted:

W Series is just Formula 3. There have always been multiple F3 series.

Got to say that the other F3 series, and the rest of the junior ladders, might benefit if the drivers were selected in the same way as the W Series drivers were rather than on the basis of who can drop a massive pile of money on the desk of the guy running the team. I guess that's the upside of the FIA directly running the show themselves.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://racer.com/2019/08/16/core-autosport-to-close-dpi-program/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

my reaction to this was more "wait, there were Nissans in DPi?"

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

It certainly wasn't the greatest before, but am I the only one who thinks motorsport.com's new layout is loving garbage?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Basticle posted:

It certainly wasn't the greatest before, but am I the only one who thinks motorsport.com's new layout is loving garbage?

It's bad and in addition to that the continued shift from written articles to pointless talking heads on a couch for 8 to 12 minutes.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Basticle posted:

There, took out the redundant stuff for you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.motorsport.com/rally/news/speed-breaks-back-rallycross-landing/4514734/

Holy poo poo

Scott Speed broke his loving back on a rallycross jump

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

That doesn't remotely tell the whole story. W series could still be a bad idea.

I hope we get more women racers either way.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

That doesn't remotely tell the whole story. W series could still be a bad idea.

I hope we get more women racers either way.

Chadwick got $500k from winning the series and recently said that's only half of what she needs in order to get an F3 ride with a top team, so yeah, it's not quite achieved its goals yet. Makes you wonder what being a Williams academy driver gets you, though.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Shame mostly

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:drat:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.motorsport.com/rally/news/speed-breaks-back-rallycross-landing/4514734/

Holy poo poo

And it was for an exhibition event at that. Really messed up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

net work error posted:

And it was for an exhibition event at that. Really messed up.

Yeah, now I'm curious if the track was shoddy or what happened.

He finished the heat though, what a champ.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
driving like he was in iracing

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Big Huski Boi posted:

Chadwick got $500k from winning the series and recently said that's only half of what she needs in order to get an F3 ride with a top team, so yeah, it's not quite achieved its goals yet. Makes you wonder what being a Williams academy driver gets you, though.

This is the stupid thing. W series pays significant prize money right down to last.

If they just paid the top 5 and gave the savings to their champion, Jamie would have an FIA F3 budget.

Between that and them inviting the top 12 back, do they want to get a woman to F1? Or do they just want to swan around saying they own a racing series?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It'd be cool if the Goodsmile team won Suzuka.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I have no idea how Legge is mobile after her wreck. Jesus christ.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iwentdoodie posted:

I have no idea how Legge is mobile after her wreck. Jesus christ.

You know how cats can survive great falls?

That's her, but with big racing accidents

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
News from the prison continent!

SST cleared to return to Australia full-time in 2020, but will make an appearance at the Gold Coast this year.
https://www.supercars.com/news/more-action/early-return-for-stadium-super-trucks/

And they're making it a night race in 2020 (for the Supercars, not the SSTs (although an SST night race would be dope (but they already had those when they were racing actual stadiums?))):
https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/night-race-plan-for-gold-coast-600/

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

News from the prison continent!

And they're making it a night race in 2020 (for the Supercars, not the SSTs (although an SST night race would be dope (but they already had those when they were racing actual stadiums?))):
https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/night-race-plan-for-gold-coast-600/

I wonder if that’s in lieu of adding an Indy race on Gold Coast, or as a way to open up the weekend schedule for an Indy race...

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
The new S5000 series had their first open test at Phillip Island, though it had to be stopped early due to weather.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Zaphod42 posted:

Holy poo poo

drat, fucker even finished the heat after?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARMOpvnsiYM

24H of Barcelona is on right now, shouldn't be geoblocked anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Quite the mix of classes and cars. Is it a part of any major championship?