Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
You'd have to rewrite the Labour rulebook for anyone other than the leader to be their PM candidate in a government. Clause VII, section 1a (viii).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

dispatch_async posted:

Funny you should say that because

holy poo poo I don't think I saw the actual numbers before today

the "large part" of the National Grid's value that was lost? 2.98 loving percent

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

marktheando posted:

That persona is like the opposite of an unspun persona though? It's a carefully created propaganda thing that has nothing to do with the real Stalin.

If we are drawing up a list of Stalin and Corbyn comparisons the way they manage their public image is not one I would use.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

and even more amazingly, that the media seem to be going along with it.

This bit doesn't surprise me at all. Though even the Graun went 'steady on a bit' when the Lib Dems flat out said no Corbyns

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

forkboy84 posted:

Hatman is Vince Cable I'd assume.

Who?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

the "large part" of the National Grid's value that was lost? 2.98 loving percent

But but 900 million!! Big number!!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Lol sometimes I wish corbs was the terrifying super-tankie these guys want to convince themselves he is

https://twitter.com/GillianLazarus/status/1163450852310470656?s=19

when i think about people vain enough to demand statues in their self image, i definitely think of the guy that wears a tweed jacket his grandma knitted for him

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

loving up an announcement and potentially costing a bunch of rich assholes money might be the most worthwhile thing the BBC has done lately.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
also today's Times crossword uses "lol" as part of an answer if you needed any more signs that the end times are upon us

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

"lol" has been part of common slang for about 20 years at this point dude.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

njsykora posted:

loving up an announcement and potentially costing a bunch of rich assholes money might be the most worthwhile thing the BBC has done lately.

Its great if Labour do announce it again because a)gently caress the shareholders b) technically it should be priced in because it's already known but if the value drops again then it's a great bit of proof for how dumb as gently caress stock market valuations are.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

njsykora posted:

yes

and the Times crossword regularly uses "u" and "non-u" to describe things that are/aren't posh

and "rum" to mean odd or strange

zhar
May 3, 2019

Julio Cruz posted:

That reporting seems a bit "correlation != causation" looking at the chart. 880 was nearly the yearly high, it has performed worse than 854p most of the time since early 2018 and was only that much in march. I'm not convinced that leaked announcement affected the price much if at all.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

njsykora posted:

lots of love

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/MPIainDS/status/1163394500649193472?s=19

I hate this oval office.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Lol "removing barriers" that's some intense spin

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Remove barriers to work by introducing barriers to stop work.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Given you can choose to work past retirement age I'm not sure what "barrier" existed to be removed

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Julio Cruz posted:

also today's Times crossword uses "lol" as part of an answer if you needed any more signs that the end times are upon us

One of the clues in Saturday's Guardian crossword was "Partner's life Grindr ruined (10)"

Girlfriend

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Given you can choose to work past retirement age I'm not sure what "barrier" existed to be removed

Something about making work pay idk

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Clearly IDS is a marxist and acknowledges the power of systemic pressures as barriers. The systemic provision of the means of subsistence to old people is a barrier to them continuing to work.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I like how someone in the comments points out that the average life expectancy in many (poor) areas is less than 75 years.

Literally work till the day you die.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Darth Walrus posted:

You'd have to rewrite the Labour rulebook for anyone other than the leader to be their PM candidate in a government. Clause VII, section 1a (viii).
That provision's actually pretty badly drafted, and just seems to presume that the leader would be PM rather than outright saying they must - it's not compatible with, for example, being the lesser party in a coalition.

I agree with you, just pointing out that it's badly drafted and you know people would argue the toss (remember the chicken coup?)
The bero we deserve

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

dispatch_async posted:

Funny you should say that because

I love that the mail calls wiping shares off a company about the nationalised 'botched'

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
IDS is the man who without Irony said "work sets you free" and didn't see the problem with quoting concentration camp gates.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

namesake posted:

What's she saying?

Still lolling at the idea of the national unity government expecting Corbyn to join the National Government but not lead it.

haven't had the chance to read yet

still lolling at the same thing re NG tho

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Gonzo McFee posted:

IDS is the man who without Irony said "work sets you free" and didn't see the problem with quoting concentration camp gates.
Wait, did he actually say that?

Because I've been quoting him as saying it (in German) for years, kinda takes the fun out if it's true :(

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Private Speech posted:

I like how someone in the comments points out that the average life expectancy in many (poor) areas is less than 75 years.

Literally work till the day you die.
That means almost half the population still gets to retire!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Looking it up I couldn't find those exact words, but I did find this wonderful editorial in the Daily Mail:

Daily Mail posted:

"The German slogan 'Arbeit Macht Frei' is somewhat tainted by its connection with Nazi concentration camps, but its essential message, 'work sets you free' still has something serious to commend it.

There is dignity to be gained from any job, no matter how menial, and for young people at the start of their careers, there are valuable lessons to be learned from any form of employment, whether that is on the factory floor, on a supermarket till or in the contemporary hard labour camp of a merchant bank or law office."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Party Boat posted:

One of the clues in Saturday's Guardian crossword was "Partner's life Grindr ruined (10)"

Girlfriend
Chip on the end of mausoleum crosswords have always been in-jokes and terrible puns.

Julio Cruz posted:

yes

and the Times crossword regularly uses "u" and "non-u" to describe things that are/aren't posh

and "rum" to mean odd or strange
Clearly referencing something awful's own NO U meme.

e: ^^
:thermidor:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Borrovan posted:

That provision's actually pretty badly drafted, and just seems to presume that the leader would be PM rather than outright saying they must - it's not compatible with, for example, being the lesser party in a coalition.

Which Labour was from 1940 to 1945, so what happened then...?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

My favourite crossword obscurity is referring to a cow as "lower" ie one who lows

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The core DUP value is national unity, it's a perfect fit.

If national unification is the goal, isn’t that Sinn Féin’s music?

Does being interim PM actually require an oath?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

feedmegin posted:

Which Labour was from 1940 to 1945, so what happened then...?
Rulebook probably changed since then.

Or they just said "well this provision clearly just presumes a majority Government, which we aren't, so it must not apply", which you could kind of apply to a unity Government at a stretch (hence my concern)

Or nobody particularly cared that much so nobody argued it

:shrug:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
With the age issue for pensions I guess UK govt and industry want to edge towards a slave labor force like America?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

lol if this is the thing that kills the tories electorally

You'd think as the party of loving pensioners they'd pander to soon-to-be pensioners...

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

he'd make a pretty good Lewis Prothero

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

You'd think as the party of loving pensioners
And children and livestock.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

radmonger posted:

isn’t that Sinn Féin’s music?
[Vince strutting to the ringside but with Gerry Adams' head].gif

Although if there's one thing deepfakes can do before it fucks us all to hell, it's to produce a version of the Vince Reaction meme with corbyn's face, nodding approvingly at things like the living wage and the final one being fully automated luxury communism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

[Vince strutting to the ringside but with Gerry Adams' head].gif

Although if there's one thing deepfakes can do before it fucks us all to hell, it's to produce a version of the Vince Reaction meme with corbyn's face, nodding approvingly at things like the living wage and the final one being fully automated luxury communism

Just imagining this brought me a sense of enormous wellbeing