Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly the part that kinda annoys me most about the retconned Discovery TOS Enterprise bridge is... even if you had to have a big shiny reflective dark tron design, would it have killed you to make the displays yellow/red/orange/green like TOS instead of BLUE BLUE ALL COMPUTERS ARE BLUE IN THE FUTURE.

They clearly actually thought about it, added the tiny displays up the top of the bridge as a 'tribute', and then went back to doing their own drat thing.

Oh god I'm turning into one of those trekkies.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I wonder if they have to go in and mask out crew reflections in non fx shots on those sets.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Okay except the education.

Yes except it's because everyone is too hosed to retire, not a choice.

If you turn this all negative it's basically right I guess. Again, people on part/gig jobs not by choice. Certainly better to be a woman now than in 1980.

lmao

Yeah it's like they were right on everything but they thought it would all be positive. In reality if anyone from the 70s saw today they would think we were living in a dystopia...

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
If Insurrection was an episode of TNG, I would've skipped it on rewatch. But goddamn, does the Sirtis/Frakes commentary make it worth it. I'd pay real money for cast members to do these for all the TNG movies. Throw in a little extra to get them sloshed.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

MikeJF posted:

I was imagining slightly more. Do what the designers might've done if they'd hada access to modern set and displays. Like, just a quick scribble

The actual consoles themselves are hard to figure out a way to keep them faithful but not look goofy. I was thinking maybe depicting part of the semicircle arc in front of each station as a kind of a standardised keyboard (with bright transparent keys of course), so it'd be almost like they're typing or pressing shortcuts on a 23rd century qwerty rather than pushing random unmarked bits. Then have custom per-station controls and touchscreens around that.

I'd also maybe scale it up about 10-15%? Not as ridiculously huge as the Disco version, just a bit bigger. That lets us expand helm/nav as well, which they really need.

You've just described exactly what I was trying to say. Completely 1:1 between your post and my daydreams.

If I was going to make any extreme change it might be to add the TMP/TWOK weapons console nook. But that thing's existence i think only really makes sense depending on the ship's mission profile. I always thought that the TOS connie was only lightly armed, mostly a long range explorer on a mission of peace. And then the refit occurs during a more militarized time in starfleet, what with all the extra phaser banks and retrofitting the huge torpedo launchers etc.

Which actually makes the history of the refit very interesting because over a ten year period you see that military bent get more and more extreme as the relations with the klingons gets worse. 1701 refit started it's career with very luxurious fittings and large areas given over to recreation, but 1701-A is all barebones steel plate. Hell, the A doesn't even get the redesigned cargo/shuttle bay, suggesting they'd cut back the refit program significantly. But I digress.

MikeJF posted:

Honestly the part that kinda annoys me most about the retconned Discovery TOS Enterprise bridge is... even if you had to have a big shiny reflective dark tron design, would it have killed you to make the displays yellow/red/orange/green like TOS instead of BLUE BLUE ALL COMPUTERS ARE BLUE IN THE FUTURE.

They clearly actually thought about it, added the tiny displays up the top of the bridge as a 'tribute', and then went back to doing their own drat thing.

The cliche blue computers are annoying because the first thing you'd think would be "this would give me so much contrast to display key information in different colours", but no, nothing.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 19, 2019

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
All this talk of bridge design..

Nothing can be worse in recant memory then the design of the command deck/room/whatever on the ship in Netflix's Another Life.

its pretty much a long room with nothing in it bar an out of place small round "bar" style table and a few wall mounted bucket seats which are placed nowhere near any of the controls in the room. There is a place for "manual control" but that is just a nondescript "glass bubble" type thing at the front of the ship.

Its about a zero effort as it gets for set design/dressing etc, I've seen better done in any 80's low budget sci flicks you could mention probably.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I do really like the corridor that runs around the outside of the Discoprise bridge. It’s a nice design touch that spaces out the bridge.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
I think that was matt jeffries original intent, he spoke a lot about how equipment was mounted all stupid inside bomber planes, and how if you had any sense you'd make it so that if anything was broken you could just replace it from the other side. That way the operator wouldn't have to get out of his chair.

What makes me laugh a little is that they put the empty space next to spock's science console. In a lot of shots in TOS they'd remove the console that was there in order to fit the camera there, but accidentally zoom out just enough to notice that they'd done so. So the missing console is now official canon.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The shiny reflective black floor is making me angry

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They change it when some Yeomans realize Kirk is looking up their skirts

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The D is obviously the best bridge but BSG's was also great, a different take that looked old and militaristic and battered but was great on camera. They did a great job of updating it for the Pegasus too. And I also have to give the show massive props for actually keeping the new ship around for a while! They didn't blow it up right away! Amazing!

I went to a con where Eddie Olmos was speaking, and you could tell he loved the show. At the end of his talk, he said "so say we all" and we all smiled, some repeated it back, it was cute. Then he said it again, a bit tougher, "so say we all" and then we all chanted it back.

Then he yelled at us "so say we all!" and the whole room stood up and saluted "so say we all!" because suddenly here was Adama yelling at you and it loving owned

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Alan_Shore posted:

The D is obviously the best bridge

Absolutely not. worf is getting a bad back from leaning over his station all day, and the helm is so far from the command chairs that riker has to walk halfway across the room just to put his feet on it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan_Shore posted:

The D is obviously the best bridge

Funny way of spelling Enterprise-A.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Imagine where you'd want to be stationed for 8 hours. The D is pure luxury. Plus standing and walking are healthy!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"Muse" was a good episode of Voyager. I like the episodes where they infiltrate pre-warp civilizations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I want the D. I want it so bad

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tighclops posted:

I want the D. I want it so bad

Separated or unseparated?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The Enterprise-A bridge layout is probably technically better but I still prefer the TMP/TWOK bridge layout. I'm irrationally fond of the circular displays and the mix of video/non-video display elements, and I'm definitely a fan of physical, tactile controls. Also it's a little annoying how many of the video displays on the -A bridge are showing the exact same loop, and while I appreciate the LCARS concept for TNG, I don't entirely care for its ST6 incarnation.

Alan_Shore posted:

The D is obviously the best bridge but BSG's was also great, a different take that looked old and militaristic and battered but was great on camera. They did a great job of updating it for the Pegasus too. And I also have to give the show massive props for actually keeping the new ship around for a while! They didn't blow it up right away! Amazing!

The Pegasus sets were all redresses of leftover sets from a failed Lost in Space reboot pilot. BSG wouldn't have been able to afford them otherwise.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I love the giant sweeping curved helm from the Enterprise-A and the general vibe of the place.

Alan_Shore posted:

Love Galactica's CIC but disagree on Pegasus, it always felt a bit cheap how small and empty and unstructured it was. It was just like a little alcove off a corridor with a table in it.

I know it was meant to be more automated and all, but it just felt silly how much littler it was.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 19, 2019

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

Separated or unseparated?

Oh god, don't start a separation debate

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Alan_Shore posted:

Imagine where you'd want to be stationed for 8 hours.

Sat in a chair instead of leaning on a wooden rail?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

HorseLord posted:

I always thought that the TOS connie was only lightly armed, mostly a long range explorer on a mission of peace.

They had enough firepower to destroy gods and go toe-to-toe with just about any enemy ship. The TOS Connie was definitely not "lightly armed."

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

They had enough firepower to destroy gods and go toe-to-toe with just about any enemy ship. The TOS Connie was definitely not "lightly armed."

Oh yeah, it can dump a very large amount of energy into all two of it's phasers, which it can only fire while sitting perfectly still or going in a straight line, because the helmsman has to stop doing his actual job in order to fire them. The refit has 12 in pairs of 2 on the saucer alone, a double barreled torpedo launcher, and a dedicated full time gunner to operate it all.

Just about all we can say is that we never saw another TOS era starfleet ship class for which to compare to. We do know the spindly neck and engine pylons are massive obvious vulnerabilities that make it unsuitable for a battleship, and that even post-refit it's outgunned by poo poo like the perennial cannon fodder Miranda class (hello rear torpedo launchers).

Plus I think if you were going to build a class of ships with warfare as a primary concern you wouldn't build only twelve of them and send them all off in random directions far from anything of strategic value. Starfleet's real fighting classes would've been patrolling the klingon border.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 19, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Risk is our business

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

HorseLord posted:

Oh yeah, it can dump a very large amount of energy into all two of it's phasers, which it can only fire while sitting perfectly still or going in a straight line, because the helmsman has to stop doing his actual job in order to fire them. The refit has 12 in pairs of 2 on the saucer alone, a double barreled torpedo launcher, and a dedicated full time gunner to operate it all.

Weapons are the job of the Navigator, the Helmsman can keep flying the ship in circles while Nav shoots.

There were at least four banks of twin phaser emitters in fore and at least one bank of twin aft phasers. The fore torpedo launcher had six tubes and there was an aft launcher as well.

HorseLord posted:

Just about all we can say is that we never saw another TOS era starfleet ship class for which to compare to. We do know the spindly neck and engine pylons are massive obvious vulnerabilities that make it unsuitable for a battleship, and that even post-refit it's outgunned by poo poo like the perennial cannon fodder Miranda class (hello rear torpedo launchers).

Do we know the Miranda outgunned Enterprise? We never saw a fair face-off.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 19, 2019

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

Voyager has fifteen decks, a hundred fifty people, that's about three people on duty per deck every shift. For a ship a third of a mile long.

To be fair, probably big chucks of that are people's quarters. Then they'd be in their workplaces while on shift. Or hanging out in other places like the holodecks or mess hall or a cargo bay or something.
The bigger problem is how many shifts they have and just how many people do they need? If there's 2 or 3 shifts then that's only 50-75 people on duty each shift. The bulk of which are probably either on the bridge or in engineering now that I think about it.

Now I'm wanting a game like SimTower or Dungeon Keeper but its about a Star Trek ship.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Weapons are the job of the Navigator, the Helmsman can keep flying the ship in circles while Nav shoots.

There were at least four banks of two phaser emitters in fore and at least one bank of two aft phasers. The fore torpedo launcher had six tubes and there was an aft launcher as well.

It was the helmsman that fired on the TOS enterprise, he had the aiming periscope. I don't personally buy into the six torpedo tubes dialog (that's in like 1 episode) because it doesn't fit what we're ever shown on screen. It's early TOS weirdness from before canon solidified.

Remember the TOS model didn't have weapons (or thrusters, or airlocks, etc) anywhere on it, and torps were first called like charged phaser pulses or bursts or something. But you have to reconcile this with what we saw, phaser beams always shooting from the same location, torps coming from the lower sensor dome, and then the TMP depiction of the ship. I don't see how it's possible to reconcile six tubes being in the bottom of the saucer with how just two took up so much space in the refit. Discovery just slapped two tubes where the refit puts some lower phasers. So I can only think the TOS ship had the weapons we actually got to see it fire.

We've descended into fan wank for sure. If I've got any priority here it's to disregard anything in tos that makes the movies not make sense.

MikeJF posted:

Do we know the Miranda outgunned Enterprise? We never saw a fair face-off.

I think it's definitely very close, they compensated for the lack of secondary hull by putting gun placements on the rollbar, plus the rear torpedo launcher, which the refit absolutely didn't have.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 19, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The Enterprise-A bridge layout is probably technically better but I still prefer the TMP/TWOK bridge layout.

The TMP bridge is simultaneously dingy because of the lighting and sterile due to the lack of any color beyond white, grey, or beige. I can’t stand it. It does improve a little in TWOK, but the A bridge still looks better in every way.

The worst bridge has to be the D’s Battle Bridge or the completely barren Stargazer bridge, which I think are the same redressed set.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Oh god, don't start a separation debate

This separation debate is tearing us apart!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HorseLord posted:

It was the helmsman that fired on the TOS enterprise, he had the aiming periscope. I don't personally buy into the six torpedo tubes dialog (that's in like 1 episode) because it doesn't fit what we're ever shown on screen. It's early TOS weirdness from before canon solidified.

Chekov fired phasers and photon torpedoes in Obsession, albeit probably because he was a named character and Sulu was on a time-travel mission to the Vietnam War :v: (George Takei was off filming The Green Berets). I do feel like there's another instance of the navigator firing weapons... Balance of Terror maybe?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The worst bridge has to be the D’s Battle Bridge or the completely barren Stargazer bridge, which I think are the same redressed set.

Yeah, the old movie bridge got redressed again and again and again throughout TNG.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Alan_Shore posted:

I went to a con where Eddie Olmos was speaking, and you could tell he loved the show. At the end of his talk, he said "so say we all" and we all smiled, some repeated it back, it was cute. Then he said it again, a bit tougher, "so say we all" and then we all chanted it back.

Then he yelled at us "so say we all!" and the whole room stood up and saluted "so say we all!" because suddenly here was Adama yelling at you and it loving owned

Olmos is awesome. He came to speak at my university about education and social justice stuff and toward the end he went "Okay how many of you are here because of Galactica?" and talked about it for a while. Then he stayed for a couple hours to meet literally everyone who wanted to talk to him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I dunno about you guys, but I am furious

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Nerds didn't like a thing in the past for dubious reasons, therefore-?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tighclops posted:

Nerds didn't like a thing in the past for dubious reasons, therefore-?

I didn't read a single one of the 1,500 unread posts I had in this thread. I just thought that article was funny and wanted to post it in a Star Trek thread.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol at Geordi being "the new Spock"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Frakes looking like the QB of a high school football team circa 1965

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

I didn't read a single one of the 1,500 unread posts I had in this thread. I just thought that article was funny and wanted to post it in a Star Trek thread.

My bad, I've seen stuff like that posted in an attempt to shut down any thoughtful criticism of modern versions of the thing so the humor is kind of drained away from it for me now

It's me I'm the moon-faced assassin of joy from Babylon 5 I'm so sorry

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I do feel like there's another instance of the navigator firing weapons... Balance of Terror maybe?

Aren't the phasers fired from the "phaser control room" or whatever in Balance of Terror?

HorseLord posted:

Enterprise wasn't out-gunned by Reliant. Khan hammered them with the space battle equivalent of a couple of kidney punches with brass knuckles followed by a kick to the balls, and the reason Spock says "they can still outrun us ... and outgun us" is because the Enterprise is only running on partial main power (remember, turbolifts were inoperative below C deck).

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

mfny posted:

So I just finished watching What We Left Behind. Was very good, and at points gave me some feels. The Terry Farrell stuff was really awkward though, it sounds like there is still bad blood there and maybe it will never be resolved which is a shame.

It was such a cocktease them having those HD clips, really want a full remaster now ..

Not being willing to pay for permission to use Jadzia footage was serious bullshit.

mfny posted:

All this talk of bridge design..

Nothing can be worse in recant memory then the design of the command deck/room/whatever on the ship in Netflix's Another Life.

Anyone else read that as "Neelix's?"