Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Perpetual Intelligence Gatherers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/VivJaye/status/1162030419736322048

My twin brother who is a model. You don't know him, he lives in Canada.

https://twitter.com/sabina_sinn/status/1162058661507637254

it dont matter has issued a correction as of 13:57 on Aug 19, 2019

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

comedyblissoption posted:

when you're totally not living under a private bougie dictatorship

bring some ear buds, listen to a podcast for a few hours and get paid for it while president smoothbrain rambles on about how he won the electoral college

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

comedyblissoption posted:

if you got union leaders not representing the workers and very obviously telling them to do things the vast majority don't want to do, the union leaders are basically loving middle management
This is so loving true. In Seattle, the unions endorsed the same Mayoral and some of the same City Council candidates as Amazon and the Chamber of Commerce. Not to mention coming out hard against an employee head tax that was meant to fund homeless services. They're loving garbage.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

A while ago my friend stumbled down an ebay search hole and found that some bot had determined that people wanted stickers that combined Nazi imagery with pro-union slogans and I always wondered why the hell it felt there was a market for that but I guess now I know

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shame Boy posted:

A while ago my friend stumbled down an ebay search hole and found that some bot had determined that people wanted stickers that combined Nazi imagery with pro-union slogans and I always wondered why the hell it felt there was a market for that but I guess now I know

huh

its actually strange Amazon hasn't built some automated TeeSpring sort of thing where if just inputs your search results onto a blank t shirt design with BUY NOW beside it and all the clothing options you can put it on. they could sell whatever they wanted and if something questionable came up "well, those results are based on YOUR OWN search history, nothing we can do, but we have passed this case along to our developers"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bring back old gbs posted:

huh

its actually strange Amazon hasn't built some automated TeeSpring sort of thing where if just inputs your search results onto a blank t shirt design with BUY NOW beside it and all the clothing options you can put it on. they could sell whatever they wanted and if something questionable came up "well, those results are based on YOUR OWN search history, nothing we can do, but we have passed this case along to our developers"

Because they make more money with less lawsuits by just letting third parties do that :shrug:

e: I mean it's not dynamic like you suggest but just generating every possible combination of slogan and word is just a different way of solving the same problem :v:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/OnePerfectShot/status/1163278455674494976?s=20

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Strom Thermos posted:

sorry honey, I could only afford the handgun insert.

I saw one of these armored backpacks demonstrated on local news the other day and the pitchman said it was "rated level IIIA" without explaing that that meant and proceded to show its effacacy with a suppressed MP5. I couldn't help but think they chose that over an actual pistol because scared parents who arent gunhaver dorks could reasonably mistake a pistol caliber SMG for an AR-15 and think it was rifle rated.

Like the whole thing is obviously absurd at every possible level but how capitalism.mp4 cherry on top is it to trick them into thinking their kids are protected from The Scary Gun when they aren't?

Owlbear Camus has issued a correction as of 16:36 on Aug 19, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

I saw one of these armored backpacks demonstrated on local news the other day and the pitchman said it was "rated level IIIA" without explaing that that meant and proceded to show its effacacy with a suppressed MP5. I couldn't help but think they chose that over an actual pistol because scared parents who arent gunhaver dorks could reasonably mistake a pistol caliber SMG for an AR-15 and think it was rifle rated.

Like the whole thing is obviously absurd at every possible level but how capitalism.mp4 cherry on top is it to trick them into thinking their kids are protected from The Scary Gun when they aren't?

They wouldn't be protected from The Scary Gun even if they had level IV ballistic steel plate because a backpack is not body armor and you'd have to train your kid to like, try and find their backpack that's probably on the floor or somewhere and then get in a position where they can hide their entire body behind it during an active shooter situation instead of like, using the 5 or so seconds that wasted to do literally anything else more productive. And then you've got your kid in a position where even if the best option is running away, they'll psychologically want to stay put behind their magic backpack because it's "safe" or whatever.

e: I mean I think you already know all this, I just wanted to bitch :v:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

They wouldn't be protected from The Scary Gun even if they had level IV ballistic steel plate because a backpack is not body armor and you'd have to train your kid to like, try and find their backpack that's probably on the floor or somewhere and then get in a position where they can hide their entire body behind it during an active shooter situation instead of like, using the 5 or so seconds that wasted to do literally anything else more productive. And then you've got your kid in a position where even if the best option is running away, they'll psychologically want to stay put behind their magic backpack because it's "safe" or whatever.

Oh yeah I agree the whole thing is absurd at every level but the cherry on top is even if everything works out PERFECTLY the kid still doesn't have the correct level of protection from the gun everyone is most scared of, and they seem to be deceptively selling it like they would be.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

so you're saying the correct thing to do is send my kid to school each day wearing full body armor?
Also summer camp in the middle of the hottest summer on record.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

so you're saying the correct thing to do is send my kid to school each day wearing full body armor?

Yes, and I promise it won't gently caress them up psychologically in the least or your first therapist visit is free!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Does this come in a chidrens medium?

https://www.med-eng.com/products/personalprotectiveequipment/medengeodiedd/eod10suithelmet.aspx

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That just reminded me, a friend of mine had a mom that went a bit crazy back during the post-9/11 hysteria. Remember when people were wrapping their entire house in plastic to keep out chemical weapons? Yeah well, friend had to do drills where she'd get into a full NBC suit while her mom timed her to make sure she could do it automatically and as fast as possible, and she definitely doesn't have tons of anxiety disorders as a result of poo poo like that today no sir!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean I know why bomb suits don't have protection for the hands but it's always seemed like a particularly, uh, morbid exclusion anyway.

Then again my granpap didn't get jack poo poo for protection when he was defusing Japanese detonators during WWII and as a result he lost both a finger and an eye so I guess it's a step in the right direction :v:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Shame Boy posted:

I mean I know why bomb suits don't have protection for the hands but it's always seemed like a particularly, uh, morbid exclusion anyway.

Then again my granpap didn't get jack poo poo for protection when he was defusing Japanese detonators during WWII and as a result he lost both a finger and an eye so I guess it's a step in the right direction :v:

It's cuz you need your hands free to do this right and if you gently caress it up continuing to have hands or not is gonna be the least of your worries.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

chairface posted:

It's cuz you need your hands free to do this right and if you gently caress it up continuing to have hands or not is gonna be the least of your worries.

I'm aware

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

bring back old gbs posted:

huh

they run the risk of losing their section 230 protection as they will no longer be the publisher but the creator
the print on demand places like teespring are having the same issue as the courts are considering them the creators since they are the ones physically making the items for sale

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

Listen, it's very simple: all we need to do is have multiple cops on every school campus, bulletproof windows, reinforced entry and exit points, and security checks for all individuals entering or leaving the school.

What else are we going to do, have reasonable gun control laws? That would be violating our rights!!!!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Thanatosian posted:

Listen, it's very simple: all we need to do is have multiple cops on every school campus, bulletproof windows, reinforced entry and exit points, and security checks for all individuals entering or leaving the school.

What else are we going to do, have reasonable gun control laws? That would be violating our rights!!!!

well 1 cop isn't enough cause Parkland had a SRO on campus and he just peaced out when the shooting started

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Look the solution is simple.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/investigations/Navy-SEAL-K-9-School-Shooting-Demonstration-540156181.html

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Really buried the lede of "dog cloning" deep in that article

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

Really buried the lede of "dog cloning" deep in that article

Freeborn Inner Sphere canines aren't up to the challenge. Clan Jade Falcon bids 50 Truborn Doggos for the pacification of Terra's juvenile indoctrination centers.

Sorry for the deep cut tabletop game reference.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Now if only the dog was mechanical and bulletproof and trained on the undesirables' dna...

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Owlbear Camus posted:

Freeborn Inner Sphere canines aren't up to the challenge. Clan Jade Falcon bids 50 Truborn Doggos for the pacification of Terra's juvenile indoctrination centers.

Sorry for the deep cut tabletop game reference.

battletech owns, don't apologize

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Taintrunner posted:

battletech owns, don't apologize
It loving does.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Nastier Nate posted:

The correct thing to do is train your kid to be the shooter. Then you don't have to stress about which kid it's going to be.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Inceltown posted:

The correct thing to do is train your kid to be the shooter. Then you don't have to stress about which kid it's going to be.

Finally a good answer. Before the shooting you can have fun times bonding at the range and really make sure your school shooter will be successful.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
someone somewhere on C-SPAM was talking about how loving exploitative the prison commissary system is, and I finally found an article https://www.themarshallproject.org/2017/12/21/the-big-business-of-prisoner-care-packages

$56 dollars:

also $56:

for only $32 you can get:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

alphabettitouretti posted:

https://twitter.com/VivJaye/status/1162030419736322048

My twin brother who is a model. You don't know him, he lives in Canada.

i do not like to dwell upon the period of my life before i came to know The Fulfilment Center

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

capitalism.png: the videogame

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/08/17/eliza-a-visual-novel-about-algorithms-and-mental-health-is-out-now/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that’s a stretch for Zach, very cool and good

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thanatosian posted:

The actual correct answer is the part you wrote about strictly controlled entry/exit points and security checks for all individuals entering/leaving the building.

Access to the school, classrooms, and kids needs to be strictly controlled not just because of psycho shooters. Custody poo poo is crazy these days and I've seen multiple violent confrontations with family members getting into schools to try and take "their" kid.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

someone somewhere on C-SPAM was talking about how loving exploitative the prison commissary system is, and I finally found an article https://www.themarshallproject.org/2017/12/21/the-big-business-of-prisoner-care-packages

$56 dollars:

also $56:

for only $32 you can get:

The names are possibly the most dystopian thing I've seen in a long time, jesus gently caress

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

do you remember the food aid they were sending to puerto rico after maria that was literaly just a box of cheezits and candy bars lol

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I don't know what's worse, the products in the care package or the price gouging going on.

loving let prisoners have coffee, drat it. And ranch. gently caress.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Shear Modulus posted:

do you remember the food aid they were sending to puerto rico after maria that was literaly just a box of cheezits and candy bars lol

If you really want to be angry about this, look at photos from dumpster dive groups showing the fucktons of food thrown out every day, the out-of-season clothing cut to ribbons, the hygiene products tossed out.

:eng99: capitalism is the most efficient allocation of resources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Great news everybody! Capitalism is fixed now!

https://www.fastcompany.com/90391743/top-ceo-group-business-roundtable-drops-shareholder-primacy

Yep, they all agreed, no more pure profit maximization! Glad that's over with, and we can all go home. Nothing more to see here! All our problems are solved.