Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

SelenicMartian posted:

That Russian definitely-not-nuclear explosion was totally on the level.

Just a coincidence.

somewhere in HBO's offices, someone tentatively writes a "2" next to the show entry for Chernobly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

somewhere in HBO's offices, someone tentatively writes a "2" next to the show entry for Chernobly

lol

"oh man I don't feel good today, yeah I'm feeling really Chernobly"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Memento posted:

lol

It's time for jokes from the 80s: did you hear about those dodgy Russian underpants? Chernobyl fallout.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It's time for jokes from the 80s: did you hear about those dodgy Russian underpants? Chernobyl fallout.

That took me a few reads before I got it.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Memento posted:

lol

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I think Instagram only embeds on mobile? Anyway:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1UB4H4nyky/

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

somewhere in HBO's offices, someone tentatively writes a "2" next to the show entry for Chernoblyat

Ftfy

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Lurking Haro posted:

Of course it's not a nuclear explosion, just a containment failure. Don't worry about those fission products, the Russians have experience with them.

Fun fact, we intentionally blew up a nuclear propulsion reactor/rocket at the Nevada Test site just to see how bad it would be as a safety test.

Pretty bad, it turns out!

But not as bad as they feared (ie if it crashed it wouldn't turn into a nuclear weapon).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Rover?wprov=sfla1

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Blindeye posted:

Fun fact, we intentionally blew up a nuclear propulsion reactor/rocket at the Nevada Test site just to see how bad it would be as a safety test.

But not as bad as they feared (ie if it crashed it wouldn't turn into a nuclear weapon).

Oh, that’s part of the program that spawned the NERVA engines, which could’ve sent us to Mars in the 1970’s. Oh, what could’ve been...

:smith:

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Blindeye posted:

Tangential to this: For some real OSHA fun, I highly recommend reading Eric Schlosser's "Command & Control" about US nuclear weapon security. It focuses on the Damascus Titan missile explosion (which is a great story in itself) but there are also many reports of other accidents.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/iV59FiD.mp4

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
https://twitter.com/T_G_P_D_express/status/1163078246990147584

e: why the heck doe twitter vids only embed on phones and not on desktop? annoying.

double e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8r8c4x8PQY

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 19, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

this is pronounced something like "sneyio-u" and the L is not a russian character.

the other text does say energetycheskyoi napitok [energy drink] and taurin vitaminy gruppy B [figure it out]

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Where’s the OSHA?

Oh. Here it is. :stare: What the heck is going on there?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Sagebrush posted:

the other text does say energetycheskyoi napitok [energy drink] and taurin vitaminy gruppy B [figure it out]

Strictly speaking, it says "Vitamin group V."

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Grundulum posted:

Where’s the OSHA?

he's exploring my posts

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Grundulum posted:

Where’s the OSHA?

Just the yearly SA cleaning

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Grundulum posted:

Where’s the OSHA?

Ploughing a train at full speed into several feet of water is very OSHA. Even more so when it's through a station with passengers.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Grundulum posted:

Shitter's full.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Grundulum posted:

Shitter's full is what's going on.
e, fb

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Grundulum posted:

:stare: What the heck is going on there?

Just Chinese taikonaut training.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fallin1 posted:

Shitter's full.

I hope no one at work asks me to explain that loud hooting laugh I just made

If they do I think I'll just say "brain damage"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Grundulum posted:

Where’s the OSHA?

Final exam in medical school for proctologists

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grundulum posted:

Where’s the OSHA?

You've heard that Dio song, Hole-y Diver?

Here's the midnight sea.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Icon Of Sin posted:

Oh, that’s part of the program that spawned the NERVA engines, which could’ve sent us to Mars in the 1970’s. Oh, what could’ve been...

:smith:

They're working on it again although it's very early days, and I don't see how they'll stop people being freaked out by it... people would probably protest about launching a lightspeed drive if it was nuclear powered.
https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/game_changing_development/Nuclear_Thermal_Propulsion_Deep_Space_Exploration

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Grundulum posted:

:stare: What the heck is going on there?

He's going in the poop chute.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Bloop posted:

I hope no one at work asks me to explain that loud hooting laugh I just made

If they do I think I'll just say "brain damage"

Just say that you have a metal plate in your head and someone turned on the microwave and it caused you to piss your pants and forget who you are for half an hour.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Cojawfee posted:

Just say that you have a metal plate in your head and someone turned on the microwave and it caused you to piss your pants and forget who you are for half an hour.

drat so that's all I have to say?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Blindeye posted:

I see even nuclear scientists do the same stupid poo poo as everyone else:

quote:

There were three fatal accidents during Project Rover. One worker was killed in a motor vehicle accident. Another died from burns after tipping gasoline on classified computer tapes and setting them alight to dispose of them. A third entered a nitrogen tank and was asphyxiated.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

this is a fetish for some people, i wonder if they should specifically seek those people out for this profession

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

minato posted:

Tangential to this: For some real OSHA fun, I highly recommend reading Eric Schlosser's "Command & Control" about US nuclear weapon security. It focuses on the Damascus Titan missile explosion (which is a great story in itself) but there are also many reports of other accidents.

Reading this book I found out, by talking about it with a coworker who I guessed would be interested in it, that said coworker had been a Commander at SAC in Little Rock during the 80s, just after Damascus. He's promised to show me some of his collection of cool stuff from that time. On the plus side, I did guess correctly that he would be interested.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
the gloves arent even sealed ew

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Fallows posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaYUqXAmXRQ
sometimes you don't got time

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Fallows posted:

gently caress

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Imagine you're groping around blind and you accidentally knock against a pipe or something, momentarily breaking the seal between your face mask and everything else

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Surface supply diving with rip-resistant everything while wearing a full face mask and sealed dry suit almost sounds nice, until you remember what they’re diving in :vomarine: Hopefully it’s just some kind of normal maintenance and you’re not down there to try and clear an obstruction or recover something that fell in.

hopefully

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kanine posted:

this is a fetish for some people, i wonder if they should specifically seek those people out for this profession

Foreman - "Is he still down there?"
Contractor - "Yeah.... I don't get it. It was a 15 minute job. He's been down there for 3 hours now."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Imagine you're groping around blind and you accidentally knock against a pipe or something, momentarily breaking the seal between your face mask and everything else

No :mad:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Foreman - "Is he still down there?"
Contractor - "Yeah.... I don't get it. It was a 15 minute job. He's been down there for 3 hours now."

And the sewer is only clogged worse when he's finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Huh, must’ve done a lovely job :suicide: