Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Stay in your lane tax man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Stay in your lane tax man!

It was about the effects of a financial transfer tax; they were in full "this will never have a negative effect, you're believing mainstream propaganda, also it's going to crash all the stock markets and bankrupt pension funds, and this is fantastic fuel for the revolution"

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Discendo Vox posted:

It was about the effects of a financial transfer tax; they were in full "this will never have a negative effect, you're believing mainstream propaganda, also it's going to crash all the stock markets and bankrupt pension funds, and this is fantastic fuel for the revolution"

Mmmhmm mmmhmm yes yes I see. So do you also regularly argue the merits of biblical passages with street preachers or is there something about the tax code that inhibits your higher reasoning and impulse control?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Yes to both

My parents always said I love to argue, so

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes to both

My parents always said I love to argue, so

OMG i love to argue too!!!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Have you guys considered law school?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Nice piece of fish posted:

OMG i love to argue too!!!

No you don’t

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that anyone that says, “I love to argue.” Or “I’m good at arguments.” Or some variation thereof really means to say “I’m an oppositional poo poo head and you should avoid me at all costs.”

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Lote posted:

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that anyone that says, “I love to argue.” Or “I’m good at arguments.” Or some variation thereof really means to say “I’m an oppositional poo poo head and you should avoid me at all costs.”

Did some young filly break your heart?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

So I’ve watched Star Wars with my 6 year old for the first time. I did IV, V, VI first of course. It was a lot of fun, reading the crawl to her, watching her put together what “the force” means. She loved them, was blown away by Darth Vader telling Luke he was his dad. Princess Leia and Han Solo are her favorites—she died at the “I love you” “I know” exchange.

She wanted more so we watched Episode I today...reading the crawl to her I knew it would be way different. loving trade disputes? She was like what the gently caress is a trade federation? I know TPM is poo poo, but I tried to enjoy some of it and it’s really, really bad. She was interested but totally lost. It’s the worst acting, the worst script. Her face during the midi chlorian poo poo—I’ll never forget it. I just pretended it didn’t happen. She didn’t even laugh when the camel alien farted or whatever, she was just confused. All during the movie she was like “uh so when does he become Darth Vader already? And who is that guy? What’s a chancellor? Why is that guy bad? How come the queen keeps changing clothes? Also she looks just like that girl. Why do they say roger roger? Vote of no confidence...huh? How do they understand what that stupid guy [Jar Jar] is saying? What planet is that?”

Bad movie. Real bad.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 18, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
your mistake was pretending that non-original-trilogy star wars exists

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

TPM is the loving worst of the three - and you can skip that poo poo with no worries.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

So I’ve watched Star Wars with my 6 year old for the first time. I did IV, V, VI first of course. It was a lot of fun, reading the crawl to her, watching her put together what “the force” means. She loved them, was blown away by Darth Vader telling Luke he was his dad. Princess Leia and Han Solo are her favorites—she died at the “I love you” “I know” exchange.

She wanted more so we watched Episode I today...reading the crawl to her I knew it would be way different. loving trade disputes? She was like what the gently caress is a trade federation? I know TPM is poo poo, but I tried to enjoy some of it and it’s really, really bad. She was interested but totally lost. It’s the worst acting, the worst script. Her face during the midi chlorian poo poo—I’ll never forget it. I just pretended it didn’t happen. She didn’t even laugh when the camel alien farted or whatever, she was just confused. All during the movie she was like “uh so when does he become Darth Vader already? And who is that guy? What’s a chancellor? Why is that guy bad? How come the queen keeps changing clothes? Also she looks just like that girl. Why do they say roger roger? Vote of no confidence...huh? How do they understand what that stupid guy [Jar Jar] is saying? What planet is that?”

Bad movie. Real bad.

Bad movie. Good kid.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Seriously.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I know, but I can’t resist it, there’s so much going on in every frame, it’s like poetry, it rhymes.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

... I liked Solo, and would probably like it more as a kid.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Pod race in TPM was fun.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The sequels are generally inoffensive. They’re just mediocre space action movies. Rogue One is genuinely good. Solo is more or less fine, whatever. But the prequels are all bad and boring.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

EwokEntourage posted:

If you want another one, people in the Texas politics thread are arguing that going to Harvard Law means you are a Bad Person

The person at issue is a bad person, but not sure whether Harvard made her that way or she sought out Harvard Mayor Pete style trying to build a resume from 12 years old

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Sab0921 posted:

The person at issue is a bad person, but not sure whether Harvard made her that way or she sought out Harvard Mayor Pete style trying to build a resume from 12 years old

Dershowitz teaches at Harvard. Therefore

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Dershowitz teaches at Harvard. Therefore

Yeah, but so did Liz Warren (please be kind to me Bernie brigade)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Sab0921 posted:

Looks like we got an Information Fuckstein over here :toughguy:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Look Sir Droids posted:

The sequels are generally inoffensive. They’re just mediocre space action movies. Rogue One is genuinely good. Solo is more or less fine, whatever. But the prequels are all bad and boring.

Rogue One was probably the best of the Disney bunch, which is tragic, considering how much was left on the cutting room floor, and I think I've heard they did like 80% reshoots because it was "too dark" -- except being "dark" is why the movie worked.

There are a few sci-fi romps that are kid friendly like Star Wars and deserve merit though, I was watching the Stargate movie with my nephew and forgot how good it was, he's only six and recognized the pyramids so thought that was cool.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Bad movie. Real bad.

Recently, people have started to try to redeem the prequels, or otherwise defend them. Makes me sick.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

Well she was a registered Republican when she started teaching at Harvard.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Summer reading book report: The Three Body Problem could have been 3 or 4 good short stories or a decent novella.
Going to try Rivers of London/Midnight Riot next.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Vox Nihili posted:

Recently, people have started to try to redeem the prequels, or otherwise defend them. Makes me sick.

Animals.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Vox Nihili posted:

Nerds keep saying well ackshawly The Phantom Pain is better than Attack of the Clones. They are both bad. But if I was forced to watch one of them, I would watch AOC (lol). There's just so much bad in TPM. gently caress the pod race.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Vox Nihili posted:

Decent ideas, horrible horrible execution.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Look Sir Droids posted:

Nerds keep saying well ackshawly The Phantom Pain is better

This is Pequod, Arriving shortly at LZ!

Seriously looking back, the entire prequel trilogy was a mess, but at least TPM still used some practical effects and on-scene shoots and it definitely showed compared to Episodes II and III. I'm sure there is a reason movienerds can explain why sets and models hold up better than CGI and why CGI just can't seem to cross that uncanny valley yet.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Kimsemus posted:

lol goddamn. That is my preferred Phantom, so.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I just finished KJ Parker - Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City. Breezy read, I recommend tossing it on the nerd reading list.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kimsemus posted:

Seriously looking back, the entire prequel trilogy was a mess, but at least TPM still used some practical effects and on-scene shoots and it definitely showed compared to Episodes II and III. I'm sure there is a reason movienerds can explain why sets and models hold up better than CGI and why CGI just can't seem to cross that uncanny valley yet.

Because sets and models are still real tangible things. Gimme the spaceships from the original trilogy flying around over any of the others every day of the week because they were actual real things.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

The Phantom Menace isn't even really a part of the rest of the series - it stands alone and nothing that happens really affects the future course of events other than the twenty-something Queen grooming an 8 year old.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

The Phantom Menace isn't even really a part of the rest of the series - it stands alone and nothing that happens really affects the future course of events other than the twenty-something Queen grooming an 8 year old.

Lol he was into it

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tokelau All Star posted:

I just finished KJ Parker - Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City. Breezy read, I recommend tossing it on the nerd reading list.

He come out with a new book? I do enjoy his writing. Suprised that his fencer trilogy isn't on there, since it is about the zany antics of a not-byzantine lawyer.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

sullat posted:

He come out with a new book? I do enjoy his writing. Suprised that his fencer trilogy isn't on there, since it is about the zany antics of a not-byzantine lawyer.

Yes - it was pretty good, as with all KJ Parker.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

It shows how the Jedi were probably wrong about how great it is to brainwash children into emotion-suppressing soldiers, and how it's not a great idea to give corporations a seat in your representative government.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

homullus posted:

It shows how the Jedi were probably wrong about how great it is to brainwash children into emotion-suppressing soldiers, and how it's not a great idea to give corporations a seat in your representative government.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Would you say, perhaps, that from your point of view, the Jedi are evil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol he was into it

Barstool Tatooine doing another report rating hot queen/padawan stories