Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Isn't that Techmoan's kitchen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

DrBouvenstein posted:

I just had an offer accepted on a house, and it was built in the mid/late 60's, and I'm genuinely surprised there's hardwood floors. I thought most new construction from that era just went straight to carpet.

This very thread taught me that to qualify for a FHA or VA mortgage in that time period, the house had to have hardwood floors. I imagine because of that the first thing they did when they closed on the house was call the carpet store to get wall-to-wall installed before their furniture was moved in, less the Joneses think they were *gasp* lower middle class.

Our house has hardwoods throughout (built in 68) but they weren't nice hardwoods. Clearly designed to check a box and then get immediately hidden for 40 years by carpet.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ugh, tell me about it...who puts a ceiling fan in a kitchen?!

And of course no under-cabinet lighting...or any lighting at all other than the ceiling fan...and I guess the light-bulb in the stove hood (that does not actually vent outside, despite being an exterior wall) works.

Having gown up and lived in various houses built in the late 50s and early 60s, curling fans definitely had a purpose in kitchens. Those houses don’t have the best cross ventilation. The ceiling fan keeps you from cooking yourself while preparing dinner when it isn’t winter time.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

I like the floor tiles, but goddamn, the slabs of brick veneer don't even line up! There's a super clear failed line-up over the stove.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

PurpleXVI posted:

I like the floor tiles, but goddamn, the slabs of brick veneer don't even line up! There's a super clear failed line-up over the stove.

Well, I don't think they're tiles, I believe it's just a slab/roll or whatever you call it of linoleum. I don't think you should like it, I'm 80% sure it was originally white...

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Orvin posted:

Having gown up and lived in various houses built in the late 50s and early 60s, curling fans definitely had a purpose in kitchens. Those houses don’t have the best cross ventilation. The ceiling fan keeps you from cooking yourself while preparing dinner when it isn’t winter time.
Yeah we have one. 20s bungalow with a 9’6” ceiling and one window though, it gets pretty stuffy without the fan on. Plus it’s four lights.

Also gently caress yeah, Z Brick! I haven’t seen that since about 1980.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, I don't think they're tiles, I believe it's just a slab/roll or whatever you call it of linoleum. I don't think you should like it, I'm 80% sure it was originally white...

It looks exactly like the linoleum (same pattern even) in the kitchen of the house I grew up in (built in '87). It started out a very pale tan coffee color and got yellower as it aged.

Ours started peeling up at the edges after 15 years but otherwise it was indestructible.

Also I learned something today: apparently linoleum was originally a specific flooring material made out of lineseed oil, rosin, and various dusts. The flooring in my old kitchen was almost definitely made of vinyl, we always just called it linoleum. It's probably one of those things like 'tin' foil, or pencil 'lead'.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
xpost

I started off horrified at the lack of eye protection and then ended up pleasantly surprised and entertained.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

canyoneer posted:

xpost

I started off horrified at the lack of eye protection and then ended up pleasantly surprised and entertained.

I don't understand arc welding at all. How did he not shock the hell out of himself holding that pipe with his face resting against it?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The electrode is connected to the bottom of the vertical pole. Because it's dry, and there's concrete and he's wearing flip flops the current through him is going to be negligible. If that were a steel floor and he didn't have the flip flops he'd risk completing the circuit through himself if the horizontal bar weren't touching the vertical bar when it struck.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Arc welding is also like 30 volts so it's not that big of a deal anyway

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Red brick is a pretty decent choice, I'd work with it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I just had an offer accepted on a house, and it was built in the mid/late 60's, and I'm genuinely surprised there's hardwood floors. I thought most new construction from that era just went straight to carpet.

There is carpet in the living room I have to rip up (going off of looks and general wear, looks like it was put down in the late 80's/early 90's) but the OG hardwood is there underneath.

The kitchen, though...well, that's an interesting story.

Fake brick veneer over every wall, even the "backsplash" under the cabinets.

Paint it all super gloss white and pretend it's subway tile:discourse:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Nevets posted:

Also I learned something today: apparently linoleum was originally a specific flooring material made out of lineseed oil, rosin, and various dusts. The flooring in my old kitchen was almost definitely made of vinyl, we always just called it linoleum. It's probably one of those things like 'tin' foil, or pencil 'lead'.

"linoleum" by name was originally a sheet product that stemmed from an attempt to use cured linseed oil as a cheap/non-tropical-import-dependent substitute for proper natural latex rubber, yeah

linseed-based flooring is a lot older than linoleum, though- "dirt floors" in old buildings were rarely just ~dirt~ but a deliberate finish + treatment applied to packed earth to make them nice to use, and linseed oil was a highly-desirable one. i have a 'recipe' for a traditional blacksmith's forge floor treatment that involved well-tamped earth, a base layer of clay/sand blended to achieve desired working properties, and then a facing layer of clay, forge ash and finely-crushed forge clinker (fused silica/dross that forms in the forge firebowl), which was finished with several cycles of linseed application and buffing. not only was it fireproof and durable, it was easy to repair using largely waste products from the forge's operation
best of all, though, and what people never think a "dirt floor" could offer, is that it was sort of soft, just like linoleum. linseed-treated earth floors are often described as feeling like leather, a byproduct of the rubbery cured linseed oil that impregnated the upper facing of the floor. that slight give offered some comfort and impact softening to the working smiths in the way a rubber anti-fatigue mat does nowadays. drat smart way to build a forge

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

DrBouvenstein posted:

I can dig it.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Ambrose Burnside posted:

"linoleum" by name was originally a sheet product that stemmed from an attempt to use cured linseed oil as a cheap/non-tropical-import-dependent substitute for proper natural latex rubber, yeah

linseed-based flooring is a lot older than linoleum, though- "dirt floors" in old buildings were rarely just ~dirt~ but a deliberate finish + treatment applied to packed earth to make them nice to use, and linseed oil was a highly-desirable one. i have a 'recipe' for a traditional blacksmith's forge floor treatment that involved well-tamped earth, a base layer of clay/sand blended to achieve desired working properties, and then a facing layer of clay, forge ash and finely-crushed forge clinker (fused silica/dross that forms in the forge firebowl), which was finished with several cycles of linseed application and buffing. not only was it fireproof and durable, it was easy to repair using largely waste products from the forge's operation
best of all, though, and what people never think a "dirt floor" could offer, is that it was sort of soft, just like linoleum. linseed-treated earth floors are often described as feeling like leather, a byproduct of the rubbery cured linseed oil that impregnated the upper facing of the floor. that slight give offered some comfort and impact softening to the working smiths in the way a rubber anti-fatigue mat does nowadays. drat smart way to build a forge

That's cool as hell

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I thought linseed oil was inflammable. Dunno why :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerry Cotton posted:

I thought linseed oil was inflammable. Dunno why :shrug:

Linseed oil is a drying oil.

It will spontaneously oxidise and form polymers at room temperature. That’s how oil painting works. Once it’s dry, it’s not a particular fire hazard.

But get enough of it oxidising in a small space, like a bunch of oily rags in a rubbish bin, and they’ll get hot enough to ignite.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

It will spontaneously oxidise and form polymers at room temperature. That’s how oil painting works. Once it’s dry, it’s not a particular fire hazard.

But get enough of it oxidising in a small space, like a bunch of oily rags in a rubbish bin, and they’ll get hot enough to ignite.

I guess that rules out my idea of compacted oily rags flooring :(

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
ngl, I'm diggin' the brick.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh. Oh no.

Linoleum doesn't belong in homes, it belongs in institutions and public areas.

Begone, cursed material.

Platystemon posted:

Yeah, pretty much every carpenter has a story of how they/an apprentice hosed up with linseed oil the first time. Usually it's just smoke damage, thankfully.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Zipperelli. posted:

ngl, I'm diggin' the brick.

Real brick yes. Wallpaper brick no.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I bet it sure was healthy to work in a forge where the loving floor is made with coal ash. Jesus. Although I guess they were already working with coal and coal ash in the forge and the ventilation is was most likely not up to snuff, so they all probably would have died of some horrible cancer anyway. Blacksmithing with coal can't be a really healthy occupation to begin with.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

i've worked in a kitchen that had that exact faux brick as a backsplash. it's bad. it's a real pain in the rear end to clean. didn't seem to fade though, no matter how many times i hit it with bleach water and simple green.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I like it. It's like having a 90s discount pizza buffet in your very own kitchen.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah all that's missing is a red-checkered plastic table cloth and a shaker full of sawdust parmesan cheese.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

therobit posted:

I bet it sure was healthy to work in a forge where the loving floor is made with coal ash. Jesus. Although I guess they were already working with coal and coal ash in the forge and the ventilation is was most likely not up to snuff, so they all probably would have died of some horrible cancer anyway. Blacksmithing with coal can't be a really healthy occupation to begin with.

ash bound up in linseed oil isn't a respiratory issue, the idea with those floors was to regularly sprinkle ash onto the floor along with water and a periodic linseed spritz, continually building them up or at least offsetting wear
but in any case lol yeah the floor thing wouldn't even register. when working with coal you hock up tarry black loogies after a days' work and your clothing falls apart on your body because the sulfur dioxide in the smoke turns to dilute sulphuric acid when it contacts your sweat-soaked body

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Scarodactyl posted:

I like it. It's like having a 90s discount pizza buffet in your very own kitchen.

I've already got my to-go window! :haw: :chef:

But yeah, it's even worse looking in person. Caked on grease behind the stove, parts of panels popping off the wall, etc...

I'm torn on the cabinets. Obviously I can paint them, but the style is so plain. Maybe I can try to use a router to put a better pattern on the face? Not sure if that would work since it has that very slight pattern now.

But they are 100% real wood, even the shelving inside are full planks of real wood, not pressboard or whatever is used in modern shelving.

I should probably head over to the interior design thread for ideas.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

There is carpet in the living room I have to rip up (going off of looks and general wear, looks like it was put down in the late 80's/early 90's) but the OG hardwood is there underneath.

The kitchen, though...well, that's an interesting story.

Ugh, my kitchen has that as the back splash behind my lovely 1970s white formica countertops, what an absolute pain in the rear end to keep clean. They're painted over god knows how many times so at least there's not much texture to the bricks anymore, but cleaning between the 'grout' is bad enough by itself.

It's at the top of the list of things that will be replaced as soon as my budget allows.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm torn on the cabinets. Obviously I can paint them, but the style is so plain. Maybe I can try to use a router to put a better pattern on the face? Not sure if that would work since it has that very slight pattern now.

But they are 100% real wood, even the shelving inside are full planks of real wood, not pressboard or whatever is used in modern shelving.

they're fine. paint or strip & stain, update the hardware, don't ruin the face with something you can't undo that'll be out of date in 5 years.

(imho)

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

they're fine. paint or strip & stain, update the hardware, don't ruin the face with something you can't undo that'll be out of date in 5 years.

(imho)

Agreed, plain just means they are more versatile, if you want interesting patterns and such then use tiles on the wall or something else.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Or you can paint a pattern on using stencils too. Easily reversed if you or the next owner decides they don't like it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Nevets posted:

It is still a specific flooring, and still available - it’s actually a pretty nice and high end product that I’d consider for my own kitchen when I get to it.

Nicer than tile from my point of view for a kitchen as it’s actually pleasant to walk/stand on.

See Forbo.com.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh. Oh no.

Linoleum doesn't belong in homes, it belongs in institutions and public areas.

Begone, cursed material.

Yeah, pretty much every carpenter has a story of how they/an apprentice hosed up with linseed oil the first time. Usually it's just smoke damage, thankfully.

I'd take linoleum over bare concrete any day, though. And I have seen new apartments being built with bare concrete floors.

Also gently caress the trend of hip eateries that are basically just an echoey concrete box where you have to shout to have a conversation as soon as more than five people are in the space.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

insta posted:

Arc welding is also like 30 volts so it's not that big of a deal anyway

I don't wanna just let this pass, in case anyone doesn't know about electricity. As my old teacher used to say, "it's the volts that jolt, but the current that kills." In other words you cannot evaluate whether exposure to a particular electrical charge is dangerous solely by looking at the voltage.

Anything over 100 milliamps is dangerous and potentially fatal.

Allowing an arc welder's charge to flow through your body can definitely kill you.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Leperflesh posted:

I don't wanna just let this pass, in case anyone doesn't know about electricity. As my old teacher used to say, "it's the volts that jolt, but the current that kills." In other words you cannot evaluate whether exposure to a particular electrical charge is dangerous solely by looking at the voltage.

Anything over 100 milliamps is dangerous and potentially fatal.

Allowing an arc welder's charge to flow through your body can definitely kill you.

10 milliamps if conditions are juuuuuuuuuuuust right, mind you.

It's rare that that low of a current will off you, but if everything is just right, it can.

Still, treat electricity with respect, thanks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

e: ah gently caress it nvm

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ambrose Burnside posted:

ash bound up in linseed oil isn't a respiratory issue, the idea with those floors was to regularly sprinkle ash onto the floor along with water and a periodic linseed spritz, continually building them up or at least offsetting wear
but in any case lol yeah the floor thing wouldn't even register. when working with coal you hock up tarry black loogies after a days' work and your clothing falls apart on your body because the sulfur dioxide in the smoke turns to dilute sulphuric acid when it contacts your sweat-soaked body

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/coal-ash-is-more-radioactive-than-nuclear-waste/

Don't forget uranium and thorium!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'd take linoleum over bare concrete any day, though. And I have seen new apartments being built with bare concrete floors.

Also gently caress the trend of hip eateries that are basically just an echoey concrete box where you have to shout to have a conversation as soon as more than five people are in the space.

The "trend" of apartments/houses with bare concrete floors is in the same category as the "trend" of open shelving/no upper cabinets, it's just a way for builders to save money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
I would rather have bare concrete than carpet imo.